Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

AP: Talk of McNabb not knowing offense is 'hilarious'

MWLthe1st

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5784910

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Donovan McNabb calls talk 'hilarious'

Associated Press

WASHINGTON -- Donovan McNabb says it's "hilarious" to think that he doesn't know the Washington Redskins' offensive play book. Or that he has trouble calling plays in the huddle. "That is hilarious to me. That is really funny to me," McNabb said Tuesday during his weekly appearance on ESPN980. "For everyone who may not have heard any of this, it's probably a shock to them."

Those words aside, the six-time Pro Bowl quarterback spent most of his radio time trying to downplay the fallout from his benching in the final minutes of a loss to the Detroit Lions. Not surprisingly, McNabb said he was tired of the whole thing. "It's over to me, and I just look to move on," he said. Coach Mike Shanahan has offered varying explanations of the decision to bench McNabb, initially saying that backup Rex Grossman had a better grasp of the team's 2-minute offense. Shanahan later said McNabb's sore hamstrings had kept the team from practicing the hurry-up attack and that he was concerned McNabb didn't have the "cardiovascular endurance" to run it as effectively as Grossman. McNabb said he was able to clear the air in talks with Shanahan and offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan. He said he was satisfied with what he heard. "Yes, I'm satisfied," McNabb said. "You get what you ask for, and after that you put it behind you and move on." McNabb remains the starter for the Redskins (4-4), who had a bye Sunday after the loss to Detroit. They resume play Monday night against McNabb's old team, the Philadelphia Eagles.

Figures... we finally have a real QB in DC and we decide to offend/embarrass him. Stuff like this is why we teased Philly and Reid. Next thing you know we will be booing him on MNF.

Oh no, not me, I will be screaming for him...not on offense of course though....then again I don't think it would make sense to cheer him on while we are on defense....ok nm, i'll shutup

Those of us that have followed McNabb closely know this is exactly the response he usually gives.

Little bit passive aggressive, little bit laughing it off. He tries too hard to look dis interested, when he really just comes off as hurt.

Do your job. Play your game. I don't care about your crazy dances or corny jokes. You're good. We like you. QB the team. eom.

It is only a circus because the media said so and there are enough lemmings as fans to follow the media right off the cliff with this story. This thing has been made so much bigger than it really ever was by the media and the fans. If the fans would stop believing everything the media shovels at them, there wouldn't be a circus at all.

Those of us that have followed McNabb closely know this is exactly the response he usually gives.

Little bit passive aggressive, little bit laughing it off. He tries too hard to look dis interested, when he really just comes off as hurt.

Do your job. Play your game. I don't care about your crazy dances or corny jokes. You're good. We like you. QB the team. eom.

Good post. I agree with every word.

~Bang

He's at the end of his career, and it's showing.

I wasn't enthusiastic about getting him, but considering the o-line, I'm sure he's in self-preservation mode.

McNabb plays the victim well.

No real news here. I'm tired of it too, just like #5 is. Can't wait 'til we have some real football to talk about. Longest. Bye. Week. Ever.

This. Just play football and win and this topic goes away. Sick of the whole back and forth, who was wrong crap, just win!

He plays the victim well? Can you clarify that statement? I wasn't excited about getting him either due to his age, however upon seeing him play he is by far the best QB we have had here in quite some time. The problem is I didn't know the offensive line was as horrible as it is. I thought that the skins would do a much better job in obtaining talent to help the situaion but that just isn't the case. Even with the horrible o line he has played better than I expected.

I wish he could be here when the line gets younger and more talented. I would like to see that before he goes someplace like Minny or Arizona and wins. The man has a few years left, but not playing behind that offensive line. If he re-signs and the line isn't addressed he will end his career here. That's just sad.

He's at the end of his career, and it's showing.

I wasn't enthusiastic about getting him, but considering the o-line, I'm sure he's in self-preservation mode.

McNabb plays the victim well.

I don't think that he (McNabb) is at the "end of his career", in fact he is coming off of a Pro Bowl season and a great latter half of '08.

You do not typically look well with a porous O-line, initial practice squad and/or washed up players being your main offensive weapons. Not to mention a new coaching staff who's working with what they have to work with.

His arm is still strong and he has proven that his legs are still there..

McNabb is still a good QB but he is only going to give as much as his surrounding cast allows him to give us and that is only fair. We can not expect him to succeed with one of the worst receiving corps /O-line coupled with a unsure backfield....but yet we stand 4-4 because, at times he keeps us in games.

Im as dissapointed about the dirt balls and overthrows as anyone, but there's no way he's been playing bad enough to be benched.. Especially when we know what the backup has to offer.. I'd even go as far to say we have 4 wins BECAUSE of our improvement at QB this season.. But the media's making all this a big deal because it is! Imagine if WP had benched Romo sits to pee, with under 2 mins togo, down by 6?? We wouldnt be able to stop laughing and pointing and looking for every story about it..

Fact is coach screwed up and it aint gonna go away until we win again.. He put us in that position, not the media.. We could of lost the game against Detroit and called out the bad pass for an int, or the bad decision to go for on 4th down in our own end, but the big talk would of been about how bad the O line played (as it's been mentioned in most every thread about this topic) but at least we wouldnt be worried if the coach has lost his mind, or the locker room, or if McNabb will be back next year, etc.. Yes, it's a circus and the media runs with everything they hear, but the ring leader that set it in motion is the head coach, not the reporters..

McNabb is just being over-analyzed by everyone and his play hasn't been all that great at times but it won't be if you don't have time to throw the ball. McNabb will rebound and play well the rest of the season because he has something to prove again. So The Eagles will find out on Monday that he still has some left in the tank.

You can't go by anything this dude says. He'll never say anything worthwhile. I don't know why they bother putting a mic in front of him.

I kinda agree with Terry Bradshaw, at some point, you gotta stop letting your coaches question your intelligence, conditioning, and/or work ethic in front of the world. He's letting himself get punked, unless he's all for letting the Shanahan's take a beating in the media.

Archived