Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL.COM: Lions QB Stafford reportedly has season-ending shoulder injury

Zhouse

The Detroit Lions' preliminary tests revealed quarterback Matthew Stafford has a Grade 3 separation of his throwing shoulder, meaning he would be lost for the season, MLive.com reported Tuesday, citing a source close to the situation.

Stafford, who sustained the injury to his right shoulder during Sunday's 23-20 loss to the New York Jets, had an MRI exam on Monday, and it is not known if that test confirmed the team's initial findings.

Stafford is expected to get a second opinion from Dr. James Andrews, just as Stafford did earlier this season for a previous shoulder injury. MLive.com reported that no decisions about Stafford's status for the rest of the season have been made yet.

"I've got to talk some more with these doctors and kind of figure out what they're thinking," Stafford told a Detroit radio program Monday night. "It's kind of frustrating to be coming back and, two games later, be knocked out again. We'll take it day by day and figure out what the plan is."

Stafford's first shoulder injury this season was a Grade 2 separation, and it kept him out six weeks.

With eight weeks remaining in the regular season, a Grade 3 separation likely would prevent Stafford from playing again in 2010.

Stafford said his current injury felt "very similar" to his first shoulder separation.

On Monday, Lions coach Jim Schwartz said that surgery wasn't being discussed, but that it's too early to tell how severe this injury is.

"I think I just, all our tests and consultations and everything else, I just won't comment any more on," Schwartz said. "He'll be thoroughly evaluated."

Stafford is dealing with his fourth injury in less than two years. He missed two games with a dislocated right knee cap, and then after playing two games with a separated left shoulder, sat out the final four games of the 2009 season.

"I don't question his durability at all," Schwartz said. "He hasn't been able to play as much as he'd like to play, but he hasn't been hampered by hangnails or, you know, headaches or anything like that. He's been hit by 290-pound guys going full speed."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81bfb3a1/article/lions-qb-stafford-reportedly-has-seasonending-shoulder-injury?module=HP_headlines

This dude cannot stay healthy.

the play he was injured on looked like a routine tackle from behind. That's the scary part, it didn't take much for him to have 3rd degree separation and miss the season....once again!

I separated my shoulder (although not grade 3) once during touch football. Was off balance, and fell on my side weird when I was "tackled". Couldn't lift my arm for a few days. I feel bad for Detroit. There team looks like it's close to turning the corner and has some good talent, yet they can't keep their franchise QB healthy.

Man, sucks for him...on another note though, assuming this is a lost season for them and they finish with another TERRIBLE record...

Its obvious they are better than that, with Stafford.

Imagine if he manages to stay healthy in the future...and they grab yet another draft full of top-5 picks in every round.....

This is a team that already has serious youthful talent.

Scary for the NFC if they get another "rebuilding year" where the coach's job isn't even in question because he never really had his franchise QB.

Man, that's pretty terrible. I've liked the Lions since Sanders and have/had high hopes for Stafford. Particularly after watching this remarkable piece of him last season vs. the Browns:

Too bad bionics isn't in a more advanced state or he could just replace the shoulder this offseason and not have to worry about it anymore.

A shame :(

eta: anyone browsing this thread and not up to clicking on a random YouTube link--please do watch it. It's amazing.

Archived