Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Political Fast

AsburySkinsFan

Ok, I realized something today while driving down the road. I need to lay off the political sauce, I found that I was getting pretty angry today listening to a radio program on NPR today and I realized that I needed to focus my mind on more important things.

We've run these threads before for those who sign up for political fasts, I'm fasting until at least January 1st. If anyone else is in just sign up below.

BTW, I'm am still voting Tuesday, but that's it.

Hey before you go what are your thoughts on tomorrows elections?????

Any other dems want to bail before the midterms? :ols:

I'm still voting tomorrow, because more than anything I want to log my protest vote. I'm just not talking about the politics themselves, nor the politicians.

Kidding, ASF. Mostly. ;) As you know, knowing when to shut my mouth and take a step back isn't my strong suit. I respect you for doing so. :cheers:

Well, I usually know when to shut my mouth, what I usually lack is the ability. :ols:

Why fast when you can simply concentrate on the important things in life: your God, your family, and ... bacon!!!!

Buford's Super Happy Fun Anti-Politics and Pro-Bacon Thread just keeps on rolling!!!

Seriously, I've been politically fasting for over two years now. Incredibly freeing. No more anger about what douchnozzles in political office are/are not doing. Whoopity do. I'll vote tomorrow, but other than that I KNOW that feasting daily on politics is an unhealthy dietary choice :)

Why fast when you can simply concentrate on the important things in life: your God, your family, and ... bacon!!!!

Buford's Super Happy Fun Anti-Politics and Pro-Bacon Thread just keeps on rolling!!!

Seriously, I've been politically fasting for over two years now. Incredibly freeing. No more anger about what douchnozzles in political office are/are not doing. Whoopity do. I'll vote tomorrow, but other than that I KNOW that feasting daily on politics is an unhealthy dietary choice :)

Part of me just can't let go of that idea that things can change, I know I'm probably naive in that, but I see the way things can be with the proverbial "if only" and that makes it so hard to accept my real helplessness when it comes to those things I really want to change. It's like the Mountain Top Removal out here in Kentucky. The last two governors (one of each party) hear the complaints from those protesting, then they go and take a tour (guided by coal executives :doh:) then they show their face on the news and then......nothing.....:mad: Then the whole cycle starts over with the next governor. I want to be able to make a difference, but it just seems that my cynicism wins out over my optimism given enough time. Although, I'm still not sure if what I'm dealing with is cynicism or just reality, I'm hoping that it's cynicism because at least then the reality will be something more positive.

But, I know one thing to be true; if I don't distance myself from the political fray I'm really gonna find myself in a bad place on a number of different levels.

Today is the big day

Media making a big buzz about it

As usual I will not participate and I will not take my talents to the elementary school I grew up attending, to vote.

Why, you say?

Because there are no issues worth voting for. No interest.

The only major election is the governor election and I have said here before the only reason I support Ehrlich is because he is a friend of Tony Kornheiser. However, I'm not going to bother voting for him, because neither governor provides an interesting platform. And since the state of MD is not considering legalizing or decriminalizing marijuana, there is less incentive to get out there and make my "voice heard". No marijuana ballot , no gambling initiative to legalize gambling in the state of MD outside of horse racing...no thanks.

So on this Election Tuesday while the rest of you are out voting I'll be sitting here half-asleep listening to Opie and Anthony while pontificating on various forums about non-political issues.

Part of me just can't let go of that idea that things can change, I know I'm probably naive in that, but I see the way things can be with the proverbial "if only" and that makes it so hard to accept my real helplessness when it comes to those things I really want to change.

Oh, and don't get me wrong. If you feel led to actual DO something -- actually run for public office, support a candidate, support a cause, etc. etc -- that's great. That's a meaningful thing to do.

Spending umpteen hours a week on an internet message board ranting (as I used to do), listening to radio shock jocks, and just generally embracing being perpetually pissed -- definitely not making anything better.

Oh, and don't get me wrong. If you feel led to actual DO something -- actually run for public office, support a candidate, support a cause, etc. etc -- that's great. That's a meaningful thing to do.

No doubt!

Spending umpteen hours a week on an internet message board ranting (as I used to do), listening to radio shock jocks, and just generally embracing being perpetually pissed -- definitely not making anything better.

It's like you're reading my mind right now!

I've been fasting since before the presidential campaign. It really eases one's mind to realize that A. You have no control over anything at all and B. Whether you form an opinion on something or not things are going to happen around you and all you can do is adapt and prepare for the future.

Everybody voting today is kidding themselves...perhaps some elections have choice but I know in my area at least you're picking between Jack Johnson and John Jackson:

futurama-politics.jpg

John Jackson: "It's time someone had the courage to stand up and say: I'm against those things that everybody hates."

Jack Johnson: "Now, I respect my opponent. I think he's a good man. But quite frankly, I agree with everything he just said."

John Jackson: "I say your three cent titanium tax goes too far."

Jack Johnson: "And I say your three cent titanium tax doesn't go too far enough!"

At this point you don't want to know what I think, what's more is that at this point if I were to tell you what I think you wouldn't be able to read it because the profanity filters would have 90% of it edited out.

So the old southern saying "It's enough to make a preacher cuss.." fits pretty good here huh? :)

Personally, I've been fasting from coming to this site, with it's gawd awful "upgrade" looking like the same cluster**** it did when it started, weeks, and weeks, and weeks ago. Of course, my curiousity has me returning on occassion to see if the finished product, whatever year that happens, will make it more tolerable than it's current, er um, state. Judging by today, I find no reason to think it ever will.

Kind of like politics.

And don't fret ASF, you're not the only Dem who didn't want to play anymore when the realization of your team getting thumped finally set in.

Now, after looking at this place long enough to read a complete thread, and respond in it, I'm feeling sick to my stomach again.

Hoping things get better, Ax.

Archived