Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Political Fast

AsburySkinsFan

Ok, I realized something today while driving down the road. I need to lay off the political sauce, I found that I was getting pretty angry today listening to a radio program on NPR today and I realized that I needed to focus my mind on more important things.

We've run these threads before for those who sign up for political fasts, I'm fasting until at least January 1st. If anyone else is in just sign up below.

BTW, I'm am still voting Tuesday, but that's it.

Lately, I've been feeling very unpolitical. I mean, I'm gonna vote and I'm still reading the news, but I just can't get excited or worked up over politics. I feel like my political beliefs will probably never come into fruition, anyway; so what's the point of acting like a prophet in the wilderness?

I think that a political fast is probably appropriate, as long as you don't also go on a "governmental action" fast. I think we all need to go on a permanent politics fast. If we as a nation stop listening to all of the posturing and rhetoric and grandstanding of both sides and instead actually think about what is going on and constructively discuss what is going on, we'll all be better off. The politicians will see that attack ads and smear campaigns don't work (they do now, or these fools wouldn't spend all of their money on them). We would actually be able to address our differences in a substantive way, and perhaps bring about some change.

I think that a political fast is probably appropriate, as long as you don't also go on a "governmental action" fast. I think we all need to go on a permanent politics fast. If we as a nation stop listening to all of the posturing and rhetoric and grandstanding of both sides and instead actually think about what is going on and constructively discuss what is going on, we'll all be better off. The politicians will see that attack ads and smear campaigns don't work (they do now, or these fools wouldn't spend all of their money on them). We would actually be able to address our differences in a substantive way, and perhaps bring about some change.

This is too logical to work. Instead the parties just bicker between each other instead of offering viable solutions.

Politics is ridiculous and needlessly inflammatory and uncivil.

I am fully aware of the issues, since I watch the news every day...but all I see is negativity and vitrol. There is no civility in politics, and there hasn't been...ever? It's a dirty, mudslinging sport.

The only political issues that slightly interest me involve marijuana :)

Who is there to choose from in 2012? Really? A second term for Obama? An array of Republican candidates walking into a slaughter? Both parties committed to expanding the power of the federal government and our national debt? Awesome. I am SO excited.

ah yes, I feel the same way. perhaps a different band playing come the new year but the same stale and lousy tune being played....at our expense.

ah yes, I feel the same way. perhaps a different band playing come the new year but the same stale and lousy tune being played....at our expense.

I'm not surprised to see you post in this thread. You're one of those I think of as having fairly consistent "leanings" (less left, more moderate or right of center) on various matters, yet you are usually reasonable and thoughtful and above simplistic partisanship. That means you're certainly above the worst characterizations I use to describe some message board politicos. Plus I share much of your book list. :pfft:

As I read this young thread, I am encouraged by the sentiments expressed. I still choose to believe that most folks are smart enough and well-intentioned enough to help guide our society to doing things better than are being done. It ain't about surrender. It's about regrouping, re-evaluating, truly compromising, and recommitting to sanity and not giving our energy and support to simple jingoism, partisanship, and reflexive one-dimensional belief systems when it comes to complex socio-political matters.

^^^^ well thanks for the post Jumbo. Even though that last post of mine may have come off as a bit jaded I did it right after filling out my absentee ballot tonight and spending considerable time reading up on the Propositions and the respective candidates. And no, I didn't vote along party lines! Get out and vote everyone and get involved.

I've backed away substantially for the past few months already. I wouldnt say "fast" but definitely a scaling back.

I am already very confident in my principles and beliefs and I dont feel a need to try and "convert" anyone any longer. Honestly, what will be, will be and there is very little that long, exhausting debates can do to change anything whatsoever.

I've lost a great deal of hope in our political system and expecially the establishment parties and their players.

I think Asbury has a great thought with this thread and I am considerring going "Political Galt" as well.

If NPR fires you up, perhaps you should go on an anger fast.

They had the founder of Think Progress and one of the Tea Party official representatives on, and I just realized that I was getting way to emotionally involved and not in a good way. As such I knew I had to step away.

Who is there to choose from in 2012? Really? A second term for Obama? An array of Republican candidates walking into a slaughter? Both parties committed to expanding the power of the federal government and our national debt? Awesome. I am SO excited.

A political fasting thread where people discuss politics? Seems some don't understand the nature of this thread. ;)

I've backed away substantially for the past few months already. I wouldnt say "fast" but definitely a scaling back.

I am already very confident in my principles and beliefs and I dont feel a need to try and "convert" anyone any longer. Honestly, what will be, will be and there is very little that long, exhausting debates can do to change anything whatsoever.

I've lost a great deal of hope in our political system and expecially the establishment parties and their players.

I think Asbury has a great thought with this thread and I am considerring going "Political Galt" as well.

This is how I feel. I was an active member of College Libertarians at the university last year. This year, I just don't feel the fire. Then again, I've dropped out of most of the clubs I was in to concentrate more on my studies.

They had the founder of Think Progress and one of the Tea Party official representatives on, and I just realized that I was getting way to emotionally involved and not in a good way. As such I knew I had to step away.

A political fasting thread where people discuss politics? Seems some don't understand the nature of this thread. ;)

Nice job skipping my first post. :pfft:

Well, anyway, since we're not gonna even mention anything vaguely politically, what shall we talk about? Bacon's already taken, unfortunately. :(

Maybe the reasons for why we're backing away fro the political discourse at least temporarily.

I've really been disheartened by the sheer level of vitriol that passes as political discourse, and I found that I was responding to that vitriol with increasing anger. I'm really disappointed by the increasing level of anti-intellectualism that is permeating everything as if the education that we fight so hard to give our children is now detremental once we've acheived that which our parents wanted for us.

Maybe the reasons for why we're backing away fro the political discourse at least temporarily.

I've really been disheartened by the sheer level of vitriol that passes as political discourse, and I found that I was responding to that vitriol with increasing anger. I'm really disappointed by the increasing level of anti-intellectualism that is permeating everything as if the education that we fight so hard to give our children is now detremental once we've acheived that which our parents wanted for us.

Good realization dude. Wish my parents could do the same.

I think I've been political fasting for awhile now. :) I don't miss it and I don't care.

Being on a political fast on election eve is like fasting from food while sitting in an all you can eat buffet. Man I wish these guys would just shut the heck up! I'm so sick and tired of this crap! The question that I have right now why vote at all? I've really come full circle from where I was a couple of years ago, and the "civic duty" argument for voting just isn't working right now. Right now in Kentucky we are being absolutely inundated with negative campaign ads from every conceivable source this is the worst I've ever seen in my adult life and I'm sick of it.

Dang I'm mad.

*edit

I have found however that avoiding watching the big three TV networks really cuts down on having to see the garbage.

Archived