Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

interesting defensive stats (points vs yards allowed)

Brandon Lloyd Christmas

This defense is dead last in yards given up. nobody has allowed more yards than the washington redskins. yet our defense is ranked in the top 10 in points allowed. really strange to me that this team can allow so many yards and crank down in the red zone, or how amazing it is that you can give up 75 yards and a turnover or 4th and goal stop can completely negate the entire drive.

i really think if we can clamp down on defense and stop giving up some of these big plays this can be a top 5 defense. and once we get a legit NT to shore up this dline we can be a real threat to any offense in this league.

There is a pretty big hole in the middle of our defensive 7 right now. Kemo is getting moved around alot, and Fletch and Rocky have not been real good either, but they are playing out of position. We really need to shore that up, or teams are going to contiune to run the ball right down our throat.

There is a pretty big hole in the middle of our defensive 7 right now. Kemo is getting moved around alot, and Fletch and Rocky have not been real good either, but they are playing out of position. We really need to shore that up, or teams are going to contiune to run the ball right down our throat.

i agree, the packers have 0 run game and them going 5 WR the whole 2nd half was pretty nice for our D. but i agree, we need to shore up the middle, our ILB and NT should be the biggest area of need at the moment. i hope we draft a stud NT next year in an early round and some playmakers at WR/RB for mcnabb. snag a C/G and sign a good FA olineman.

I've figured it out. Mike Shanahan has revolutionized the game!

Instead of keeping our offense on the field to keep our defense fresh, we're keeping our defense on the field to keep our offense fresh. Brilliant!

But seriously, I can't figure it out either. Even with all the yards allowed, our defense has been doing what's needed: keeping games low scoring.

I was just about to start this thread myself -

Last year

yds/game 320 (rank #10)

pts/game 21 (rank #18)

This year

yds/game 410 (rank #32)

pts/game 18.4 (rank #9)

I'm not certain that there is a single explanation for the discrepancy - we'll have to see how the season plays out. I do think that the focus on yds/game as the primary indicator of a defenses quality is suspect. I DON'T think that we are the 9th best defense, but I also don't think we are the 32nd. We are playing a style that is easy to gain yards against but hard to sustain scoring drives against. We have frustrated the Eagles, Cowboys, and GB by allowing ball movement until they got near the 30, at which time yards are much harder to come by. I'm not saying that we intentionally allow yards in the middle of the field....however, it seems as though we have a defensive philosophy that prioritizes "short field defense", turnovers, and preventing big plays. I for one like the change over our recent (horrendously boring) defense under Blache.

Skins need a guy like Raji in the middle, but in the meantime it's nice that our defense is playing well and getting stops at critical points in the game.

That sack by Rak and then Int by Landry was just key.

Anthony Bryant needs to start at NT. It's that simple.

When Big AL returns and we play holliday and daniels more than golston and maake, we are gonna make that jump. You saw yesterday our biggest plays on defense came when guys like jarmon, holliday, daniels were in the game!

If he's back for the Colts game I wouldn't be surprised to see him destroy their OL.

I posted this six days ago:

I am officially on record saying that Defensive YPG is the most overrated stat. I am not going to judge a defense by that anymore. If a team gets 40 yards a drive and has 10 drives, that is 400 ypg. But if the defense only gives up 12 points, isn't that a good game.

Yes we are ranked 32nd in total defense, but we have the 18th ranked scoring defense giving up a little over 19ppg. The Giants have the third best defense in terms of giving up yards, but they are giving up 22ppg. All in all, I don't care about yards anymore, stop the team from scoring and win the game.

Yesterday, I was proven right.

No Albert Haynesworth needs too

Why would you even consider that after seeing Haynesworth be abused in the Dallas game at that position but him having an impact at DE against the Eagles?

The Colts run an undersized OL, just as the Eagles do, and this paring would be perfect to cause havoc and get after Manning.

Obviously, ol Haslett is implementing the good old bend but don't break strategy.

i thought this was the case in the eagles game, but not yesterday. our defense was bringing pressure big time in the 2nd half after the soft zones clearly werent working. they had the one huge run in the first quarter that really skewed their numbers, and aside from that their run game was almost non existent.

the last two weeks weve been playing a lot more press coverage, something tons of us have been screaming for the past few seasons. no clue why we just started randomly doing it but it seems to be working very well. the cushion is necessary at times for sure, but im glad weve been banging dudes around on the LOS the past two weeks.

Why would you even consider that after seeing Haynesworth be abused in the Dallas game at that position but him having an impact at DE against the Eagles?

The Colts run an undersized OL, just as the Eagles do, and this paring would be perfect to cause havoc and get after Manning.

Agreed about Hayensworth being a better fit at DE than NT, I thought Bryant looked pretty good early in the season.

I don't think the eagles could be considered an undersized OL though, they go 340, 321, 321, 350, and 320 from left to right, one of the biggest lines in the league.

Agreed about Hayensworth being a better fit at DE than NT, I thought Bryant looked pretty good early in the season.

I don't think the eagles could be considered an undersized OL though, they go 340, 321, 321, 350, and 320 from left to right, one of the biggest lines in the league.

They may be a power blocking team but they play like an undersized team. On defense what really helped the Skins is that they play a 4-3 instead of a 3-4. Much of the NFL is really a rock-paper-scissor game, and the ZBS is no exception to this.

I was just about to start this thread myself -

Last year

yds/game 320 (rank #10)

pts/game 21 (rank #18)

This year

yds/game 410 (rank #32)

pts/game 18.4 (rank #9)

I'm not certain that there is a single explanation for the discrepancy - we'll have to see how the season plays out. I do think that the focus on yds/game as the primary indicator of a defenses quality is suspect. I DON'T think that we are the 9th best defense, but I also don't think we are the 32nd. We are playing a style that is easy to gain yards against but hard to sustain scoring drives against. We have frustrated the Eagles, Cowboys, and GB by allowing ball movement until they got near the 30, at which time yards are much harder to come by. I'm not saying that we intentionally allow yards in the middle of the field....however, it seems as though we have a defensive philosophy that prioritizes "short field defense", turnovers, and preventing big plays. I for one like the change over our recent (horrendously boring) defense under Blache.

One reason is angles. Under Blache, guy 1 was to do his best to bring you down while everyone else was to keep their angles if you broke the tackle while this defense guy 1 holds you up with everyone else breaking to the ball carrier or to where the ball will be if a fumble is forced (last year we actually had almost as many fumble recovery opportunities as we've had this year but were not in position to take advantage). Another reason is inconsistent tackling. Another reason is that the defense is designed to defend about 50-60 plays a game reasonably well but the offense has not done its job consistently.

The problem is eventually the scoring will match the yards if we don't shore things up. The cowboys are just plain stupid, they can't help themselves. Kolb wasn't ready at all. The packers dropped so many passes. There are real fundamental problems on this D to ignore them is just plain stupid.

A guy like Manning is going to expose us. The giants will expose this. If we don't get this thing fixed now we will be in for a huge collapse.

Thrilled about 3-2 and wins vs philthy and dallass but I see dark clouds on the horizon.

Ants and grasshopper folks.

The problem is eventually the scoring will match the yards if we don't shore things up. The cowboys are just plain stupid, they can't help themselves. Kolb wasn't ready at all. The packers dropped so many passes. There are real fundamental problems on this D to ignore them is just plain stupid.

A guy like Manning is going to expose us. The giants will expose this. If we don't get this thing fixed now we will be in for a huge collapse.

Thrilled about 3-2 and wins vs philthy and dallass but I see dark clouds on the horizon.

Ants and grasshopper folks.

i think thats bogus. if aaron rodgers didnt expose us how the hell is eli manning going to expose us? peyton manning maybe, but clearly the jags and texans were able to drop 60+ points on that team so im not as worried considering how awful that defense has been so far. they scored one rushing TD against the chiefs, and their D while improved is nothing crazy. the colts are not the same team they used to be at this point in the season.

if we look like we did in the 2nd half against the colts, we can win that game for sure. two weeks in a row now our defense has been very solid. those two games at STL and HOU have really skewed our defense, as we looked beyond horrendous in both. but the past two weeks weve been seriously improved. seems that rams game was a massive wake up call.

Archived