Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How much do you trust what your dentist says?

gbear

Do you guys brush and floss right before you go to the dentist? It's a "bad" habit of mine. Like he won't know my general dental hygiene habits. It's like washing your car before taking it to the car wash.

What you need to do, is about about 2 weeks before cleaning, floss every morning and night (I'm assuming you're brushing too, lol). This toughens up your gums so they don't bleed when they are cleaning your teeth and they will be impressed that you are such a good patient. I did this a few weeks ago with my new dentist out here in Colorado and the hygenist was like "oh, you're such a good patient..." hahaha, little did she know I floss about 3-4 times a week MAX until I'm nearing an appointment.

Do you guys brush and floss right before you go to the dentist? It's a "bad" habit of mine. Like he won't know my general dental hygiene habits. It's like washing your car before taking it to the car wash.

I brush and rinse as close to the appointment as I can mainly because it must suck having to inhale people's breath all day. Yuck.

I brush and rinse as close to the appointment as I can mainly because it must suck having to inhale people's breath all day. Yuck.

Typically, they should give you a cup of mouthwash to swish around your mouth before they do any work on you. Before you make a joke about my breath, my hygeinist did that, even tho I scrubbed my mouth over 10 times before coming in.

What you need to do, is about about 2 weeks before cleaning, floss every morning and night (I'm assuming you're brushing too, lol). This toughens up your gums so they don't bleed when they are cleaning your teeth and they will be impressed that you are such a good patient. I did this a few weeks ago with my new dentist out here in Colorado and the hygenist was like "oh, you're such a good patient..." hahaha, little did she know I floss about 3-4 times a week MAX until I'm nearing an appointment.

I brush daily, multiple times. Flossing regularly may be every other day so it's not like I have bad dental hygiene. I just have this paranoia of massive chunks of bagel (or whatever I had for breakfast) being in there.

I've been convinced that I've had a cavity in my back tooth for years, but every time I go to then dentist I'm told it's fine.

Of course, they want to remove my bottom wisdom teeth (which have never given me a problem), then tell me about how I "grind my teeth" and I'm losing .05 millimeters every year. So I should do some procedure on them.

I'm willing to pay the 200 bucks to fill my cavity. I don't need to pay a grand for my wisdom teeth or whatever the **** it costs to do this other bull****.

So no, I guess I don't trust my dentist.......

I've been convinced that I've had a cavity in my back tooth for years, but every time I go to then dentist I'm told it's fine.

Of course, they want to remove my bottom wisdom teeth (which have never given me a problem), then tell me about how I "grind my teeth" and I'm losing .05 millimeters every year. So I should do some procedure on them.

I'm willing to pay the 200 bucks to fill my cavity. I don't need to pay a grand for my wisdom teeth or whatever the **** it costs to do this other bull****.

So no, I guess I don't trust my dentist.......

Those aren't convincing reasons. So, you can tell you have a cavity but your dentist can't? Hmmm.

As for the grinding teeth thing. They can tell if you do this. More than likely you grind your teeth in your sleep, and don't even know it. Or you eat a lot of hard candy. Or crunch on ice. They can tell. If you're convinced you have a cavity, or you don't feel you need the wisdom teeth removed, then I would suggest you get a second opinion.

Typically, they should give you a cup of mouthwash to swish around your mouth before they do any work on you. Before you make a joke about my breath, my hygeinist did that, even tho I scrubbed my mouth over 10 times before coming in.

Huh - I've never seen that. It's a good idea though. Maybe my dentist is a bad breath fetishist.

I trust my dentist 100%!

His father, before he died, used to run the place..great people! Been going to them for most of my life...now Dean Phass and his sister runs it...he's a huge Redskins fan like I am, and used to sit 2 sections from me, before we got moved to my current seats (see location)

This thread reminds me I need to go get a cleaning lol

http://www.phassfamilydentistry.com/

• 2 years later...
I note that I had no tooth pains at age 29 when I got dental insurance and starting seeing a dentist regularly. Since then, I have had 2 cavities, 3 crowns, 1 root canal and I now have a denture.

I've always wondered if my teeth would be worse if I never went. :(

This story shows how we all spend more the longer we are with a dentist, and show 2 different dentists the same x-ray, and the most likely outcome is they will see different cavities with both spotting cavities.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=130356647

My father is my dentist. I have had the same issues... in fact, I just had my second root canal in 3 days TODAY. He and his colleagues wouldn't have done this to me if it wasn't necessary. If you are really worried I'd seek a second opinion.

I tend to trust people in the healthcare profession on the whole. I probably have a little different perspective because as a child all my healthcare providers were either family, my parents' colleagues and/or family friends, so I think my experiences in childhood were different than a normal experience. Hence my typically strong trust in health care providers.

That said, when I moved out of my small town and started my career in a different state, I have to say my trust in the care I was receiving definitely diminished. The first dentist I picked in my new town just gave me an uneasy feeling. The guy full well knew I was a young professional with not a lot of money and relatively crappy dental insurance, but still insisted I needed a few thousand dollars worth of dental work, including replacing my fillings with porcelain fillings as well as addressing other "potential cavities." WTF is a"potential" cavity??? Let me know when I have an ACTUAL cavity and at that point I will take action. I also did not like the advertising gift pack his office gave me with magnets, pencils, a mug, and other crap. I'm not really into health care providers advertising like that (in the papers, fine, but with gifts, I feel like they are trying to buy me off). Needless to say, I didn't follow up with him. As I became more established in the community, I was able to get recommendations of good providers and my new dentist is awesome. Amazingly, at my 6 month checkup a few weeks ago, he did not mention one thing about "potential" cavities and didn't even recommend further dental care besides a 6 month follow up and to continue my teeth cleaning habits at home. If I still hadn't moved out of that town, he would definitely be my permanent dentist.

I really don't trust them. I have pretty acute vision and my dentist in Fairfax always, like others, seemed to find a new cavity to fill every six months. He had a nice new office with the latest stuff, so I'm sure he had to pay for that some how. I moved to the country, where I assume overhead is lower, and I seem to not have as many problems. I think it's a sketchy profession.

I really like my current dentist. Small family practice. They only recommend things if they are actually 100% necessary. No bull****. I still have my wisdom teeth at 28 and they haven't pushed me to even take them out. They said leave them until they hurt. Last time I was there he notice a potential cavity on the xray but said it was better just to wait a few months to see how it turned out.

My wife on the other hand went to a large chain dentist office recently because it was only what her insurance would cover. She had xrays done, no cavities. She was leaving and they tried to sell her on a special gum cleaning for $399. Really started pressuring her and telling her it was extremely important she did it or she would risk gum disease. She declined and came home with just doing the regular check-up. 6 months later I sent her to my dentist and she told them what the other dentist had recommended. They laughed, said she had amazing teeth and that many dentists push unnecessary procedures on their patients regularly.

Huh - I've never seen that. It's a good idea though. Maybe my dentist is a bad breath fetishist.

Superb idea. My guess is they skip it due to the cost.

BTW- Mick! WTF's up, dude?

I figure dentists are like car mechanics. If you come in for a checkup and your teeth are in great shape, then you are wasting their time.

This is why I go to a dentist that is 45 minutes from my house, she's a friend of mine. I feel like its worth the trip to not get taken for a ride.

My dentist is a bit of an up-seller. I do 3 cowabunga a year instead of 2, and I have bought paste to strengthen my enamel from him. He also tries to get me to buy a mouthguard to sleep with for some other reason.

I get 85% paid through work insurance, up to $1,000 a year, & the cleanings don't cost that much, I pay like $30 each time, so I really don't care about that upsell, but I dont bite on the other offers for procedures not covered by my insurance. my dentist is a pretty obvious salesman when he's making a pitch, so it's pretty easy to tell when I'm being sold something, or being told something that is actually required to improve my dental health.

To those skeptical about getting taken to the cleaners by dentists: do you know of anyone in the dental field? Because they know who the reputable dentists are, and aren't. I took the advice of a close friend in the field a few years ago and she recommended a wonderful dentist. I no longer get that feeling that I'm being pushed to have unnecessary work done.

Archived