Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Green Bay Packers - A Team That's Tough to Hate

Dan T.

I love Packer and their players ( i got Rodger, Jenning, Finley on my fantasy team :D). I will root for the Skins this weekend of course but just hoping that Rodger or any guy that on my fantasy team don't get injured by our skins defense. Steven Jackson got jacked up, so did Vick (both also on my fantasy team) :(. Other than that Let go SKINS!!!

Its not tough to hate them when you remember that game that got stolen from us back in I think 2004?....No idea... I was pretty young but it wasn't that long ago (lol) Portis scored a long recieving touchdown that would have put us up 21-20 and the ref in the endzone threw a flag...then they called a penalty "illegal formation".

They ended up on the next drive scoring real fast and going for a 2 point conversion to rub it in our faces and make the final score 28-14....I have no doubt we would have won that game and got off to a good start that season if we didn't get ripped off that game...does anyone remember that?

The thing that got me is that NO flag was thrown until AFTER the touchdown was scored, and if its an ILLEGAL FORMATION penalty you think they would throw that right after the ball was snapped.

Edit: + I had a really annoying friend who was a packer fan...but I am a BIG fan of Aaron Rodgers, and like everyone else says they are a classy organization but I will never forget that game.

If you had to watch them on TV every Sunday, even when they play the lions you wouldn't find it so hard to dislike them. I know what you're saying about how it's an awesome public owned organization and I like them for that. The problem is I live over 9 HOURS from GB and for no apparent reason at all our local affiliate shows every game they play. When you live that far from an NFC team you should get to see the best game every week, not have one team forced down your throat.

Green Bay's folksy "we're just a small town team playing with 1/4 the resources of everyone else" BS routine looks to have been bought hook, line, and sinker by most.

They're huge business and just as cutthroat as any other organization. Their players make millions too. **** them, I hope we kick their sorry asses.

The Packers are an interesting case for me.

I think most people's football passions are established when they were young. For me growing up and watching the Redskins in the late 70's into the 80's, the Packers meant nothing to me. Even when they beat us in that 83 game, in the end they were a nothing franchise in my world. They were a 4-12 to 8-8 team and they simply were not on my radar as a Skins fan. That pretty much continued until we had Brett Favre shoved down our throat. I rooted for the Pats in SB31 and the Broncos in SB32.

I think the most sympathy/admiration I've felt for the Packers have come these last 5 or so years when the Drama Queen held them captive every offseason. I was so happy that they dumped that choker and committed to Rodgers. After that I started rooting for them.

As for their fans, I don't consider them any better than other fans. I think the whole Green Bay fans are the best in the league garbage is just that, garbage.

Green Bay's folksy "we're just a small town team playing with 1/4 the resources of everyone else" BS routine looks to have been bought hook, line, and sinker by most.

They're huge business and just as cutthroat as any other organization. .

So in other words you greatly admire their PR department for so successfully cultivating this image. :thumbsup:

So in other words you greatly admire their PR department for so successfully cultivating this image. :thumbsup:

They were the laughing stock of the league from 1968 until Brett Favre. I can still remember "The Pack is Back!" Cries when they went 10-6 in 1989. That's how freaking pathetic they were. Actually, I take that back. They weren't a laughing stock. There was nothing funny about it... they were the leagues' rain man.

Most people posting in this thread had their pro football opinions and perceptions formed during this period of sucktitude. So, the Pack is that non-threatening, pathetic, loser franchise that was good before any of us were born, and then "got good" in front of our very eyes. Hence the "I just can't hate the Packers" mentality.

It's very similar to the love that the Red Sox get from much of the country, despite that franchise and its fans as being among the most obnoxious in all of sports.

And the bit about their fans being so great, that's a bunch of bull****. Next to the cowboys the pack probably had the most bandwagon douchebags get on their bus in the 1990s. Those people are mostly steeler fans now.

zoony not doubt there are bandwagon Packer fans, but the core of local Green Bay area fans are as die hard as they come.

This was posted in July:

There are a few very happy Green Bay Packers fans out there. And I do mean a few. The Packers just announced that 126 new Green Bay Packers season tickets were sold to members of the season ticket waiting list, compared to 192 last year. Some of these former members of the Packers season ticket waiting list reported that it took forty years to go through the waiting list to receive the right to buy Packers season tickets. The team also reported that renewal rates for Packers season tickets this year was 99.6%.

There are currently 83,881 names on the Green Bay Packers Season Ticket Waiting List, an increase of nearly 3,000 names since last year. The Packers ticket office is estimating that fans placing their names on the waiting list this year can expect to be called, beamed, lasered, or telepathicly informed in 2050 for the right to buy Packers season tickets.

http://www.seasonticketwaitinglist.com/2010/07/green-bay-packers-season-tickets.html

So even though they were "the laughing stock of the league" from 1968 until 1992, fans held onto their season tickets. LKB ascribed it to there not being a hell of a lot else to do in Green Bay, but the fact is they support their team up there.

zoony not doubt there are bandwagon Packer fans, but the core of local Green Bay area fans are as die hard as they come.

This was posted in July:

There are a few very happy Green Bay Packers fans out there. And I do mean a few. The Packers just announced that 126 new Green Bay Packers season tickets were sold to members of the season ticket waiting list, compared to 192 last year. Some of these former members of the Packers season ticket waiting list reported that it took forty years to go through the waiting list to receive the right to buy Packers season tickets. The team also reported that renewal rates for Packers season tickets this year was 99.6%.

There are currently 83,881 names on the Green Bay Packers Season Ticket Waiting List, an increase of nearly 3,000 names since last year. The Packers ticket office is estimating that fans placing their names on the waiting list this year can expect to be called, beamed, lasered, or telepathicly informed in 2050 for the right to buy Packers season tickets.

http://www.seasonticketwaitinglist.com/2010/07/green-bay-packers-season-tickets.html

So even though they were "the laughing stock of the league" from 1968 until 1992, fans held onto their season tickets. LKB ascribed it to there not being a hell of a lot else to do in Green Bay, but the fact is they support their team up there.

That team is the entirety of their identity. Of course they support the team. This is like saying that people in Puxtatawney are really into the groundhog.

They were the laughing stock of the league from 1968 until Brett Favre. I can still remember "The Pack is Back!" Cries when they went 10-6 in 1989. That's how freaking pathetic they were. Actually, I take that back. They weren't a laughing stock. There was nothing funny about it... they were the leagues' rain man.

Most people posting in this thread had their pro football opinions and perceptions formed during this period of sucktitude. So, the Pack is that non-threatening, pathetic, loser franchise that was good before any of us were born, and then "got good" in front of our very eyes. Hence the "I just can't hate the Packers" mentality.

It's very similar to the love that the Red Sox get from much of the country, despite that franchise and its fans as being among the most obnoxious in all of sports.

And the bit about their fans being so great, that's a bunch of bull****. Next to the cowboys the pack probably had the most bandwagon douchebags get on their bus in the 1990s. Those people are mostly steeler fans now.

Sounds like you just hate Brett Favre. He wasn't shoved down anyone's throat until the retirement thing. I don't see how you could have hated Favre in his 5th or 6th season. It's not easy getting to a SB, so I don't know why everyone calls him a choker. Guess Marino is a choker too. And Moon and Kelly and etc. I enjoyed the Packers wining SB's in the mid 90s. You know why? They kept the Damn Dallass Cowasses from winning SBs.

They've won the most NFL titles of any team in history, so they are not a joke of a team or a joke of a franchise.

Putting a lot of money on seeing Princeton in the BCS National Championship game this year, are ya?

If at any point between 1968 and Brett Favre you picked GB to win in your weekly pool, you risked getting placed into special ed.

Sounds like you just hate Brett Favre. He wasn't shoved down anyone's throat until the retirement thing. I don't see how you could have hated Favre in his 5th or 6th season. It's not easy getting to a SB, so I don't know why everyone calls him a choker. Guess Marino is a choker too. And Moon and Kelly and etc. I enjoyed the Packers wining SB's in the mid 90s. You know why? They kept the Damn Dallass Cowasses from winning SBs.

Do you even need the rest of us to have this conversation with yourself? Or are we interrupting?

It's kind of the opposite for me Zoony - I had 2 years as a toddler in GB, and was fed a constant diet of how great the Packers were, and this would have been from 66-67. They were good.

Even after my Skins conversion (thanks Dad - you saved me) I still perceived the Packers as a good team, even when they weren't.

Archived