Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Green Bay Packers - A Team That's Tough to Hate

Dan T.

It's easy working up bile against The Redskins weekly opponents when it's the Cowboys, the Eagles, the Giants, the Ravens, and a host of other NFL teams

But it's tough to hate on the Packers...

In 1919 Curly Lambeau asked his employer, the Indian Packing Company, for money to buy uniforms and equipment for a football team he was starting up. The company agreed to give him $500 on the condition that he name the team after them. The "Green Bay Packers" name was born, and it is the oldest NFL name still in use - both by virtue of the nickname and the orginal city from where it started. Green Bay is the smallest home city in the NFL. It is a team steeped in NFL tradition, owned by the fans, overseen by ex-Redskin Mark Murphy who is is team President and CEO. They've won 12 NFL championships, but you don't get the vibe of arrogance that you get from other NFL teams that have had past success coughcowboyscoughcoughpatriots. They said goodbye to Brett Favre.

It is the only non-profit, community-owned franchise in major professional American sports. Wheter that's the cause, or because they play in a town that is far and away the smallest in major American sports, there's a connection between the team, the players and fan base that you don't find elsewhere.

You gotta love the tradition of Packers players riding kids' bikes to practice, which has been around since Vince Lombardi's days:

EQlZZZd6vBw&feature

Still, here's to a huge Redskins win on Sunday. :cheers:

They have the most die-hardest fans in the league....more cons than pros. I could care less for the Packers, but there is this one guy on CBSsports.com that has a Charles Woodson avi when he did something against the Redskins and he is always talking trash about the Redskins.

and those were championships not SBs so they don't really have much to brag about...Steelers is looked at as the most successful team in the league with 6 SBs...

Totally agree Dan. I would also add the Pittsburgh Steelers into that group. They both a just class-act franchises.

ironically they were my second best gameday experience in my two visits in 2000 and 04. Way too many bandwagon fans around the country, but the natives in the Burgh were cool. I guess it helped that they kicked our butts on the field both times.

BTW, Robert De Niro has been tapped to play a young Vince Lombardi in an upcoming film that chronicles him taking over the team in 1959 and turning them from small-town losers into an NFL powerhouse.

De Niro as Lombardi!!! THAT will be a must-see movie.

pg2_lombardi_deniro_576.jpg

Pittsburgh??? They have some of the worst fans around! let alone that team plays one dirty game!

Hardly. Actual Steeler fans are cool. Bandwagon ones are douchebags you're thinking of. Actual Steeler fans are just passionate about their teams. Raven fans are a different story how ever.

side note: every packer fan I've met has been really cool. They still really love Favre too. They say he defines Green Bay.

My best friend is a huge Pack fan. Normally I root for them to do well, but not on Sunday. I'll be at the game screaming my head off, GO SKINS

Yeah my buddy is a huge pack fan too. We are driving down from nj this weekend to go to this game. Should be fun. Hopefully not as fun for him.

Absolutely! They were the nicest fans I've ever encountered. My visit to Green Bay in 2007 was my finest gameday experience ever.
Without a doubt. I sat on the Packers sideline at about the 10 yardline opposite the player tunnels, 3 rows from the concourse. The ladt that sat next to me and my wife talked to us during the pre-game, and by the end of the game actually invited us to dinner on Monday evening to watch MNF. Unfortunately, we rolled out of GB on Monday morning. From the moment we rolled into town until the moment we left, it was an incredible trip -- even though the Skins gave it away and lost. As a matter of fact, my wife ordered me to make sure that the next time we play in GB that we are there. And this time, we are making a week out of it instead of 4 days.

Archived