Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Oh no he didnt! Portis on Vick. "I always root for Michael Vick....even when we play him."

Mad Mike

This isn't that big of a deal in today's football- players just don't see the other team as the enemy anymore. Free Agency and modern media have made it pretty easy to befriend other professionals in your field.

My bigger concern isn't Portis' feelings about the opposition's quarterback, but his running lately. Just stand up and fight for those extra yards CP.

If you cheer for him when he's playing the Skins, or if you'd root for the Eagles to win the Super Bowl, that's perfectly fine, but it would mean you're not a Redskin fan.

Not even a big deal. I'm sure there were plenty of Redskin fans that cheered for the Giants in that SB game some years back. If Vick played for the Cowboys then i'll hate him just like TO, but now TO play for the Bengals I can cheer for him again. And no I will not cheer for him this weekend nor will I cheer for his team if Redskins are still in the division hunt.

I don't think I've ever cheered for an opponent during a Redskin game. I've certainly had some "wow" moments and appreciated some plays, but I've never cheered for an opponent except maybe when they rose and jogged off after being hurt.

I think you certainly can appreciate, but you oughtn't cheer... oughtn't root for the guy trying to beat you.

I think a lot of folks are missing the key part of CP's quote. He says he always roots for Vick...EVEN WHEN WE PLAY HIM.

If he had stopped at "I always root for Vick," this would be no big deal at all. But for him to say he roots for him even when we play him is definitely disturbing. I hope his words just didn't come out right. Even if your brother plays for the other team, you can't root for him THAT DAY.

Again I see nothing wrong with this. I'm sure Eli and Peyton Manning cheer for each other even when they play; they just want to outplay the other. Same goes for LaRon and Dawan I'm sure. I know Vick and Portis aren't brothers, but if they're good friends, can't hold it against him.

Really? I don't remember either one of the Mannings ever saying anything like that. They are blood and it's "I'll root for him unless we are playing"

Again. I'm really not trying to make this an issue. Portis says so many stupid things that this one seems minor. But still... WTF?

I don't think I've ever cheered for an opponent during a Redskin game. I've certainly had some "wow" moments and appreciated some plays, but I've never cheered for an opponent except maybe when they rose and jogged off after being hurt.

I think you certainly can appreciate, but you oughtn't cheer... oughtn't root for the guy trying to beat you.

But your a fan and not an NFL player. If you were, youd prolly hang out with multiple players from other teams. Your rich and play in the NFL, more then likely your gonna hang out with other rich players who play in the NFL that you will eventually end up playing one day, maybe even twice a year.

Say you played for the Cowboys for 8 seasons, made best friends with some of the players, get traded to the Skins. You gonna be enemies to those friends that play on the same side of the ball that you do(Portis and Vick both play offense)? You gonna tell the media that you hate them with a passion when you really dont?

Just sayin.....I seriously doubt CP is clappin and cheering for Vick on the sidelines If he scores a TD against us. If he did then Id have a problem.

You gonna tell the media that you hate them with a passion when you really dont?

Course I would. It's part of the game. Part of the athlete schtick to rev us fans up.

I mostly agree with you, but on the other hand, imagine Riggo showing up in Dallas not in camouflage, but with a picnic basket and flowers to put behind Too Tall Jones' ear. What Portis said goes against the spirit of the game... even if on some level we all know it's fake. Riggo didn't plan to unload rounds from an AK-47 into the Dallas locker room. He didn't "hate" those guys, but he made a statement. It's us versus them.

That's a big part of sports. If there ain't an us versus them then what's the point of competing? Everybody wins!

Course I would. It's part of the game. Part of the athlete schtick to rev us fans up.

I mostly agree with you, but on the other hand, imagine Riggo showing up in Dallas not in camouflage, but with a picnic basket and flowers to put behind Too Tall Jones' ear. What Portis said goes against the spirit of the game... even if on some level we all know it's fake. Riggo didn't plan to unload rounds from an AK-47 into the Dallas locker room. He didn't "hate" those guys, but he made a statement. It's us versus them.

That's a big part of sports. If there ain't an us versus them then what's the point of competing? Everybody wins!

I feel you but I think those days are long gone. Riggo and players from then were cut from a different cloth then players of today, even in other sports as well. As a fan I really do hate everything about the Cowgirls even that half my family loves them lol. Im not gonna expect other players to feel the same, if they do then great but if not I understand.

Vick did his time...he is free to pursue his career. But an "unfortunate situation" is something you really can't control. Participating in the ritualistic torture of dogs is not an "unfortunate situation." It's much, much more than that. Honestly, Portis is just a complete moron.

Archived