Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is this the real Michael Vick?

Big Weirdo

Although a bit overhyped by his fans and by the media, I've always thought that Vick was much better than the haters gave him credit for.

In fact, last year I predicted a McNabb injury leading the way for Vick to come in and make a deep playoff run. It didn't happen, but I did see that sweet TD pass against the Cowboys in the playoffs, and now we have this season. He looks scary in this offense.

The only thing Vick's critics can really say about him is that he isn't as effective against top 5 defenses, who know how to plan for him and who also have the personnel to stop him. But you could say that about almost any QB.

I've posted the stats on Vick in another thread in the ATN. He's only had ONE season with a QB rating over 80 his entire career. Most of them have been low the mid 70's, and pretty much speaks volumes about his ability to QB in this league. I expect Vick to be good (very good) the next few games, but once teams have tape on him in this offense and the defenses he faces get better, expect that to change.

Who knows, but the TD pass to Jackson was an incredible pass, IMO. That's not an easy place to put the ball and it was nice. I fully expect some defenses being able to frustrate him, and with the poor Oline play, the running game isn't going to be able to help him out too often. If the defense could swing it around (Jags were awful, I need to see them do it against a good team), that would help take pressure off of MV so he doesn't have to do as much.

This is the best Michael Vick has looked since his sophomore year at Virginia Tech.

Good coaching and using him where he is strongest really helps. He needs to be throwing down field

He has insane arm strength, a great deep ball and a quick release. His problem always has been his touch in the short passing game

Is this the real Michael Vick?

I think this is the real/new Vick.

I think revisionist history caused some to forget how good Vick was before he went to prison and are therefore shocked by his current progress.

And now with the help of Andy Ried and Vick's own commitment to learning the passing game he's better then the old Vick.

I predicted this scenario a while back:

http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?288404-WT-360-Vick-heads-home-but-will-he-return-to-NFL-as-a-Redskin/page14

No doubt you're right, its a long shot but the risk/reward is high.

There are soo many factors some many 'ifs'.

Vick could sadly end his career as shell of his former self and his legacy a could be a tragic cautionary tale of wasted talent.

But, if Vick still has 3/4 of his athletic prowess then i could see him return to the pro-bowl.

There are 2 types of teams where i think Vick could be successful.

A team with a strong QB coach that puts in time working on Vicks passing.

*The year that Vick was convicted i was living in Atlanta and the early reports from OTAs were how excited Vick and Petrino were to be working with each other, it was said that the main reason Petrino took the job was to work with Vick.

And the reports were that Vick was working harder and spending more time at the facility then he had in years past. (Now we know why)

Or a team with a stong defense that doesn't ask too much of the QB and lets Vick be Vick, like the Ravens (if they didn't have Flacco), Dolphins in an attempt to win now.

Ideally i would like Vick to land with a team that has a proven system and a strong HC and QB coach and lets Vick sit for the better part of this year if not the whole year as back-up and bring him along slowly.

A team that isn't neccesarily looking to rush Vick in an attempt to win 'now' as in this season but a team that is looking to be patient and win 'soon' 2-4 year window.

The ultimate question will be can he sustain this level of play or is it an abberation?

I'm happy for Vick but i wish he was playing in another division.

HTTR!

Vick has always been a winner. Haters can hate all they want but he carried the Falcons to the playoffs a few times, including an NFC Title game. He also carried the Hokies to their only national title appearance in college.

I could see Vick putting up #s against us like Shoelace did against Notre Dame a few weeks ago.

We just got beat by a young inexperienced Sam Bradford on a sorry team. Mike Vick is not only going to run circles on us he is going have frequent flyer miles on us through the air. Another delusional fan team year. I almost bought into it:beavisnbutthead:

Didn't we already have this talk, smiley? Don't refer to the Redskins and yourself as "we". Its ****ing insulting to the rest of us. You've already been exposed around here for what you truly are....and the fact that you only posted this while on ES to bump the Colt thread proves it even more.

I've posted the stats on Vick in another thread in the ATN. He's only had ONE season with a QB rating over 80 his entire career. Most of them have been low the mid 70's, and pretty much speaks volumes about his ability to QB in this league. I expect Vick to be good (very good) the next few games, but once teams have tape on him in this offense and the defenses he faces get better, expect that to change.

Well, that assumes that you accept the standard "QB Rating", or even the completion % statistic, as a signifier of a winning QB.

I think what many people are saying is that with a QB like Vick, you can't do that. You have to watch him play. I'm not sure that I'm in that group, but I see what they're saying.

Stats are stats. Winning can be more than that.

And as you keep bringing up his QB Rating and completion percetage, and Vick keeps winning more games playing his way, I think I know who's side of the argument I'm likely to fall on.

My hatred for Vick is pretty well known and even I can't really say anything bad about his performance yesterday.

He actually looked like he could throw the football with accuracy yesterday.

This. I'm honestly surprised he's performing as well as he has. We'll see if he can keep it up. Maybe after all of these years he's finally learned how to play the QB position.

Despite my personal hatred for Mike Vick, it's clear that he's playing at a very high level right now. I hate to be the guy who ignores good performances, all the while warning that the bottom is about to fall out, but I still find myself thinking that way.

Basically, I think the right thing to do when talking about Vick is to acknowledge that he's playing well, while also acknowledging that both of his starts have come against extremely bad defenses, possibly the two worst passing defenses in the league. I expect next week to be similar: he'll play well, but we'll have to keep in mind that the Skins secondary and pass rush look terrible thus far.

Every week that he continues to perform, those qualifiers will hold less and less weight. Still, until the qualifiers are inaccurate, they're essential. Once he has a game like yesterday against a good defense, it'll be time to reassess how he's playing. At this point, he isn't playing all that differently than he did during stretches in Atlanta. Dominating bad defenses and getting controlled by good ones was a habit of his.

Basically, I think the right thing to do when talking about Vick is to acknowledge that he's playing well, while also acknowledging that both of his starts have come against extremely bad defenses, possibly the two worst passing defenses in the league. I expect next week to be similar: he'll play well, but we'll have to keep in mind that the Skins secondary and pass rush look terrible thus far.

Yeah, i see what you're saying but i don't agree that it applies in the NFL.

I think performances stand alone as gone or bad regardless of the opponent.

By your argument Favre should have lit the Lions up too.

I have a hard time discounting any performance against any opponent in the NFL.

Look at us we played the Rams.

Every week that he continues to perform, those qualifiers will hold less and less weight. Still, until the qualifiers are inaccurate, they're essential. Once he has a game like yesterday against a good defense, it'll be time to reassess how he's playing. At this point, he isn't playing all that differently than he did during stretches in Atlanta. Dominating bad defenses and getting controlled by good ones was a habit of his.

I agree with the begining of this post. But, disagree with your later assessment i don't think Vick has ever had 3 consecutive 100+passer rating games.

Archived