Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

After listening to the post game interview with Gortat on Wizards flagship radio station 1500BS, I'll say this about this team too: they are good guys who are easy to root for. Seemingly all of them. It's been quite awhile since I could honestly say that. And I don't mean they're easy to root for cause they're happy go lucky clowns like Swaggy P and his main P.I.C. Javale McGee. That there was almost like a sympathy cheer. And don't get me started on Baltche.

These guys though, this team, all seem like good guys, all appreciate where life has placed them, all enjoy it and most importantly they all care about winning. I like what Ariza said post game last night, when asked about winning the game, paraphrasing "Winning is just so much more fun."

Back to Gortat, that was the first extended interview I've heard with Gortat as a Wizard. Loved it. Just as impressed with him as I have been with Martell. To sum it up, he said they were worried about the game, they knew it was a trap game, that after the way Nene has been abusing every big to go against him, he knew they would double him tonight and that he would have to step up big (25 and 8 works for me). And my favorite moment, when asked about playing with Webster and Ariza, he ran down their strengths, each of them know their role, both athletic, so on and so forth, and lastly, "They're just so much fun to play with."

(sidenote, can you imagine if we hadn't traded for him? Seraphin would be getting the most minutes most likely. Seraphin. I know we all hate Ernie (yes, even me, the guy who has a "In Ernie We Trust" six on this board for about five years) but he deserves credit for the Gortat move.

Anyway, really, really looking forward to Friday. Real curious to see how we stack up against one of the few guaranteed playoff teams in the East and a legit contender.

Edit: why the **** is my phone auto correcting Seraphin to Seraphim? What the **** is a Seraphim? Goddamn I hate auto correct

Edited by G.A.C.O.L.B.

Tougher than it needed to be tonight but a win is a win and they aren't always going to be pretty.  

I might catch some heat for this but the offense has looked better without Beal in it.  The Wizards run far too many plays trying to get him open on the perimeter and they've been doing a lot more cutting to the basket and playing inside out without him in the lineup.  I'm not saying that the talent level is as high, I'm saying the way the offense is run has looked much better.  I haven't seen the numbers but I bet the points in the paint is way up.    

• Like 1

Tougher than it needed to be tonight but a win is a win and they aren't always going to be pretty.

I might catch some heat for this but the offense has looked better without Beal in it. The Wizards run far too many plays trying to get him open on the perimeter and they've been doing a lot more cutting to the basket and playing inside out without him in the lineup. I'm not saying that the talent level is as high, I'm saying the way the offense is run has looked much better. I haven't seen the numbers but I bet the points in the paint is way up.

Real curious to see how they integrate him back in when he comes back. I'd hope that they turn this into some kind of positive, a learning lesson into what they can do without him and then try to pick all the good parts from both sides and mix them together somehow

The offense has looked better in some ways without Beal but, remember, its just two games. And one of them was Wall's best game of the year so far.

In other ways, the offense looks worse. We could have really used Beal late in this game for instance. The long range shooting wasn't there, and if Beal plays, I bet that game never gets to OT.

None of the guards are good three point shooters except Beal. And no matter how bad Beal is struggling in every other facet of his game, the one thing Beal has been absolutely dependable with is the catch and shoot jumpers. Without Beal, we lose a lot of offense: trail game and fast break threes, being able to curl off screens, and a reliable drive and kick option for Wall.

But the ball movement has been better no doubt. Webster has awesome chemistry with each of the other starters and he's majorly stepped up in Beal's absence. Not sure we can count on him to so wholly replace Beal's production like he has. And Ariza has come back remarkably strong from injury these two games. He's made important shots and made a TON of defensive plays. Both Webster and Ariza have been passing the ball really well. And Nene always passes well.

What's been surprisingly nice is Gortat's passing. When he gets the ball at the top of the key, he's done a nice job finding shooters on the perimeter. And he's run some nice two man game possessions that led to scores for Ariza and Webster.

He and Nene both do a good job setting screens. That's such a good front court.

Keeping Gortat this offseason is absolutely essential. Boy did we luck into him.

Team's defense is still shaky, they have their moments. We've got a pretty potent offensive team now.

Nene/Gortat is one of the best offensive big men tandems in the conference.

In sixth place right now. Chicago is in 3rd at 7-7 but their schedule has been home heavy and that team really isn't that good. I think they drop. ATL is pretty good. They're 8-8 and currently the 5th seed. Then the leader of the Atlantic division automatically gets at least the 4th seed (but they aren't guaranteed home court).

I think Boston ends up winning that division eventually.

We could get the fifth seed and have home court against them. But I think we've got a legit chance at the third seed. Need some big wins. Winning against Atlanta on Saturday would be a nice start.

Also Indy has had a cushy schedule so far, I think they're going to drop off some. Miami has too, but we know they're a 60 win team. They'll get the 1 seed, Indy will get the 2.

I might catch some heat for this but the offense has looked better without Beal in it.  The Wizards run far too many plays trying to get him open on the perimeter and they've been doing a lot more cutting to the basket and playing inside out without him in the lineup.  I'm not saying that the talent level is as high, I'm saying the way the offense is run has looked much better.  I haven't seen the numbers but I bet the points in the paint is way up.    

I understand what you're saying. But I think this is a better team with Beal on the court. He needs to be playing a lot now to improve and not need to run those plays you mention. Its all development there for him.

Players like Beal are important when you play against teams that wont be beat by simple pick n rolls. We've played cup cake teams without him. Not that Randy will ever run a complex offense, but Beal adds a layer of offensive scheming that his hard and tiring to defend against.

Edited by No Excuses

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wizards-insider/wp/2013/11/28/al-harrington-hosts-wizards-teammates-on-thanksgiving/

Al Harrington hosts Wizards teammates on Thanksgiving

Al Harrington was ecstatic when he looked at the Wizards‘ schedule, saw that the team would be in Indianapolis on Thanksgiving and realized that he was going to have a chance to enjoy a home-cooked meal.

Harrington then checked to see what the Wizards planned to do for the holiday and felt guilty about eating a plate of homemade turkey with all the fixings when heard that the team was going to have a catered meal at the hotel.

So he called his mother, Mona Lawton, to see if she would be able to cook a huge holiday meal for all of his teammates. Lawton had never cooked for that many people, but she told her son, “Of course.”

“It’s the first time, so she’s kind of nervous. She keeps asking, ‘You think this is enough? Enough of this? Enough of that?’ ” Harrington said with a laugh earlier this week. “I think my mom’s a pretty good cook. She don’t cook often. It’s not like she’s somebody that’s always in there, but when she go in there, she locks in.”

Lawton will have to be as she prepares a meal for 30 people that Harrington said will include fried turkey, baked turkey, ham, chicken wings, macaroni and cheese, candied yams, dirty rice, spaghetti, salad and deviled eggs.

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH
  • Like 1

So, is the tide turning in favor of Grunfeld et al?

No. This team has had 4 lottery picks over the last 4 years and the best outcome for this season is a 1st round exit. They have no bench, poor coaching. 

It's exciting to finally have a competent NBA team but that should not be a job saver.

This team can advance past the first round if they get home court for the series. It means they wouldn't be matching up against Miami or Indy. They can win a series against everyone else.

What that means for Ernie's job, I don't know.

This team has two potential superstars years away from their primes, and another top three pick that's totally untapped. The construction still has a huge amount of upside left. If we finish with the third seed and advance to the second round and acquit ourselves well against a team like Indy, I'm not sure you can justify making wholesale changes. They would be on the cusp of legit contention at that point.