Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Redskins fan since 1976, Bullets since 1977, Capitals since 1980, Orioles (sorry) since 1977, Maryland since 1981, Memphis Tigers (alma mater) since 1986 and DC United since their first year. I've never changed teams and I've never had a "second" favorite team in any sport.

It is hard to post in a thread when the team is losing. There is only so much complaining to do until you just throw your hands up. I was that way with the Wizards when they were losing and now the Caps. Doesn't mean I don't still root for them every night or switch teams.

DC is becoming a bandwagon town. I hate to say it, but it is. You very rarely see any loyal fans any more. I can't tell you how many people around here cheer for every NBA team except the Wizards. Y'all know. Y'all see the home games. You have seen how the crowd cheers more for the other teams. It sickens me.

its always been a bandwagon sports town outside of the Redskins.

The other thing is DC has always been a transient area.

Edited by JoeWolf990

Came across a decent nickname idea for Wall. Posting elsewhere about the game, a fan of another team asked why Wall doesn't do the Dougie anymore. A Wiz fan replied, "Because he grew up." People responded negatively to this. So I posted, "I don't know why people aren't liking this, Wall is all business now." a Bucks fan replied, "Like Wall Street."

Simple but I think that might be my favorite yet. Wall Street is all business.

• Like 3

Came across a decent nickname idea for Wall. Posting elsewhere about the game, a fan of another team asked why Wall doesn't do the Dougie anymore. A Wiz fan replied, "Because he grew up." People responded negatively to this. So I posted, "I don't know why people aren't liking this, Wall is all business now." a Bucks fan replied, "Like Wall Street."

Wall Street is real slick homie...

I still like "The Great Wall," especially now that he's living up to it. (Or even the Great wall of Chinatown but that's too long.)

Dirk is a gawd of basketball. Easily one of the top 10 guys ever to lace em up and a legit contender for top 5.

One of my favorite players ever.  It's anathema to Spurs and Mavs fans, but TD and Dirk are my two favorite players of their era.  It makes me sad that they're going to retire soon.

That said, I don't know if I'd go top ten with Dirk.  You're talking about a really storied history for the NBA, tons of great players.

He's always been better than people have given him credit for though.  The first truly great scoring forward after Bird.

I like it.

Wall knows there is a time and place for that kind of celebrating.

But I think another reason is because Wall has new dances now.  Like that one he did during the dunk contest.

its always been a bandwagon sports town outside of the Redskins.

The other thing is DC has always been a transient area.

Yeah you see it in other big transient areas like Atlanta and LA.  The only way you're going to get the region to be rock solid Pro-Wizards is for them to develop such an overwhelmingly strong brand that newcomers want to adopt them as their team and bandwagoners from around the country hop on.  Like the Lakers did.  Took them decades to get that kind of brand power.

The thing the Wiz have going for them though is that D.C. only has one pro team and there are no VA or Maryland teams, and this region LOVES basketball.  People know basketball here.  I really think that if the Wiz were a legit contender, the town would completely embrace them.  The reason fans have stayed away is because the Wiz brand got soooo toxic since the end of that 70's era.

• Like 2

Hockey is my 4th sport that I like to watch. (First sport if it is live though.) I don't follow the Caps like I do the Skins and Wiz, but I still Rock The Red no matter what. I just don't want to talk about them because honestly, I don't have much to say until they get pass the second round. 

DC is becoming a bandwagon town. I hate to say it, but it is. You very rarely see any loyal fans any more. I can't tell you how many people around here cheer for every NBA team except the Wizards. Y'all know. Y'all see the home games. You have seen how the crowd cheers more for the other teams. It sickens me.

Gifs are an image. Just post it like you would post an image.

I would be a Caps fan if I cared about Hockey.  Hockey is 4th for me too, and it's a distant 4th.  And honestly, if you count individual sports, I'll follow tennis and golf over Hockey.

It's a great sport.  As a kid, I loved it.  Not going to lie, my team was the Penguins though, Mario Lemieux was my sports hero and I was mad when Jagr left Pittsburgh to sign with the Caps.  It's still the funnest sport to see live IMO.

But now I just feel so little connection to Hockey.  I love football and basketball.  And thought baseball is solidly third for me, I love watching the Nats and in the summer and fall, there's nothing better than watching baseball.  I don't have that kind of passion about Hockey at all.  I'd rather watch a lousy Wizards team than a great Caps team.

Looks like the Wizards have the weakest strength of schedule remaining amongst East teams

ZzsKw8a.jpg

Edit: strike that, they have the weakest schedule remaining in the entire NBA. And middle of the pack when it comes to home/away (50/50).

Edited by G.A.C.O.L.B.

Wall's highlights from the other night. Wish they showed more of his D highlights, but still. Awesome video. Perfect representation of the player Wall has become

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVu31LrfvVs

My brother moved to Denver a couple years ago so he's kinda missed out on Wall's development. I talk him up every time we talk but words don't do it justice. Perfect video to show him.

Edited by G.A.C.O.L.B.
  • Like 1

Is anyone dissapointed in Otto Porter Jr, I mean no 3 pick and he couldn't even beat Jan Vessley for minutes while he was here? Can't even break the line up now? I knew Gtown players are dissapointing in the NBA but come on this is pathetic. 

I've been whining about Porter since very early in his time with Washington. He went down in summer league after looking pedestrian and he's never really been back. I think he's soft or injured to a point that it has tragically changed the direction of his athletic growth into manhood.

Here's why I'm probably wrong...

1. I did not see him play much in college because I don't follow college ball a lot. I cannot confidently claim I know him as a player.

2. Those who say we haven't seen what he can bring yet are absolutely correct. I would play Ariza and Webster over Otto if I were coaching the team (LOLz) so it's hard to dispute his lack of minutes. 

3. John Wall was getting all the minutes in the world for 2 seasons and he certainly wasn't living up to his hype in my eyes. In fact, I lost interest in the team early in his 2nd year here because I was being so harsh and bitter that he didn't rule the league right away. Well John Wall is the perfect example of how sometimes if takes a player a little longer to settle into his game and start to rise. I'm blown away by his leap into the fray this season. Dude is straight-up serious about being great.

Having said all that, I'm pretty darned skeptical about Otto Porter becoming a reliable starter for the Washington Wizards. Ever.

Edited by Chachie

What bothers me with the Wizards is that there have been a few games where the Wiz have had a lock on a win in the last five minutes or have been anhilated, but they still play with a relatively short bench.  Why not give some garbage minutes to the deep bench.  Why not let Singleton or Porter play at a point where they can't really do harm, but might grow or learn?

• Like 1

What bothers me with the Wizards is that there have been a few games where the Wiz have had a lock on a win in the last five minutes or have been anhilated, but they still play with a relatively short bench.  Why not give some garbage minutes to the deep bench.  Why not let Singleton or Porter play at a point where they can't really do harm, but might grow or learn?

Randy Wittman and Ernie Grunfeld Basketball.

Otto been sorry but I refuse to call him a bust or a disappointment because he is behind two vets, one in a contract year.

Is anyone dissapointed in Otto Porter Jr, I mean no 3 pick and he couldn't even beat Jan Vessley for minutes while he was here? Can't even break the line up now? I knew Gtown players are dissapointing in the NBA but come on this is pathetic.

What? Georgetown players are not disappointing in the NBA. If anything Georgetown players are overachievers.

Second, Otto plays SF. He wasn't competing with Vesely for minutes. He's playing behind Ariza and Webster, who have been healthy every game since Porter came back with his own injury. That's why he isn't playing.

After that triple overtime game, its nice to sit back and watch a good blowout. Plus every win counts because this team doesn't have home court and the a Bulls and a Raptors aren't going to just give it away.

Edited by Destino