Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Even if Porter should struggle, they won't make any definitive declarations on him by the offseason. They'll blame the injury and him not being up to speed with the rest of the team and give him another year to prove his worth. The team gave Vesely multiple years to show anything, they'll likely do the same with Porter.

We should be done adding SF's, we need frontcourt depth and better backup pg more than anything right now.

I say this a lot but I'll throw it out there again...

If you're special it shows right away. Injured or not. I saw nothing special about Otto Porter. 

If you're special it shows right away. Injured or not. I saw nothing special about Otto Porter. 

There are exceptions to that rule but, I agree, superstars tend to look impressive very quickly.  Otto could still be a good player though, guys like Nicolas Batum and Kawhi Leonard don't look amazing right away, especially if put in terrible situations.  Imagine if the Spurs had the bright idea, like the Wizards did, of putting Leonard at SG and asking him to create his own shot in his very first appearance in the NBA (summer league).  Think he would have looked special then?  I doubt it.  

Otto might be a decent player and that will show itself in the next two years.  He might be a bust to, no one really knows.  I don't think anyone expects him to be a star but he was considered to have a high floor.  

Edited by Destino

Opinions from writers and draft geeks I respect were all over the place in regards to Porter. I'm just hoping for the best.

The fact that he won't be relied on to carry the team should help his development in the beginning. He doesn't have to be special out the gate, just find a role and play his part.

Edited by StillUnknown

Opinions from writers and draft geeks I respect were all over the place in regards to Porter. I'm just hoping for the best.

The fact that he won't be relied on to carry the team should help his development in the beginning. He doesn't have to be special out the gate, just find a role and play his part.

I hope he's at least good enough to justify his cap figure of 4,470,480.

Anyone know how the space between the cap and luxury tax works?  I feel like you need a tax attorney to figure out the NBA salary system.  If you take this years cap numbers (because we don't know what they'll be next year) The Wizards are 14.7 million under the cap and 27.7 million under the luxury tax line.  The reason I bring it up is because it affects trades the team can consider.  

I'd love for this team to get Iman Shumpert but we have nothing to offer New York and I can't see the Wizards taking Amare's contract of doom.  

Bradley Beal looked timid and terrible early in his rookie year.   not saying Porter is going to be Beal, but lets just wait and see.

• Like 1

Not sure how much you can see based on a dozen summer league games, unless you are talking about his college career also.  I'm not sure anyone was expecting him to be a superstar, even though he was picked at 3, in a weak class.  I think we all expect him to be a solid player on both ends of the court.  I think he deserves some time in actual games that count.

kendall marshall with 30 and 10 last night in his d league debut. Wish we had him instead of maynor

I don't know enough about him to say if he's any good but the nba gave up on him fast. He was the 13th pick and after one year he can't find an nba team willing to let him sit on the bench? That's crazy. He's a local kid and the wizards didn't even offer him a cup of coffee before telling him "no thanks".

Edited by Destino

Not sure how much you can see based on a dozen summer league games, unless you are talking about his college career also.  I'm not sure anyone was expecting him to be a superstar, even though he was picked at 3, in a weak class.  I think we all expect him to be a solid player on both ends of the court.  I think he deserves some time in actual games that count.

It was actually only two summer league games. We truly haven't seen anything out of him except what he did at Georgetown. He was a beast at GT, so if you're basing your opinion of him off that, then it should be good.

He certainly deserves a lot more time. But people get antsy early on. People were calling Beal a bust after his first three games.

I don't know enough about him to say if he's any good but the nba gave up on him fast. He was the 13th pick and after one year he can't find an nba team willing to let him sit on the bench? That's crazy. He's a local kid and the wizards didn't even offer him a cup of coffee before telling him "no thanks".

He was awful last season. And I say that being a fan of him who watched him a bunch in college. He just didn't have an NBA body/game. You can't do much with a slow PG that can't shoot.

http://hardwoodparoxysm.com/2013/12/05/on-john-wall-growing-pains-and-growing-gains/

On John Wall: Growing Pains and Growing Gains

John Wall has heady aspirations. That much he made clear when he abandoned the vague optimism and half-truths that define media day to make a sweeping declaration: that he’s the best point guard in the league. The Washington Wizards stumbled through the first ten games of the regular season, though, accumulating a disappointing 2-8 record along the way. The blame partially hinges on the Wizards’ once-shaky defense— now well on its way back to the league’s top ten— but John Wall and his wayward jumpshot were a definite factor. Plain and simple, his offseason shooting regimen wasn’t producing many gainly results. Ten games in, this was Wall’s shot chart:

The question is, do we need him to be special, or do we need him to be a quality player?

Yeah, he might not be a generational type player, but can he help this team win?

No matter what we do this year, we can't beat Miami.

Which means we are on par with like 26 other teams lol Edited by MLSKINS
  • Like 1

Which means we are on par with like 26 other teams lol

You think there are that many? I think SA is the only one who can beat Miami, and they'd be underdogs. Maybe Indy, but I think Indy is in a similar spot to Chicago from two years ago. Best regular season record, but still can't beat Miami. LeBron is too good. And he never gets hurt. And the team around him is good now. Those guys have been together for several years and their chemistry is awesome.

Regardless, we aren't beating Miami this season so there is no reason for us to make moves to go all in for the short term. We're going to have to wait our turn to contend. Hopefully the juggernaut in Miami gets old soon.

• Like 1

You think there are that many? I think SA is the only one who can beat Miami, and they'd be underdogs. Maybe Indy, but I think Indy is in a similar spot to Chicago from two years ago. Best regular season record, but still can't beat Miami. LeBron is too good. And he never gets hurt. And the team around him is good now. Those guys have been together for several years and their chemistry is awesome.

Regardless, we aren't beating Miami this season so there is no reason for us to make moves to go all in for the short term. We're going to have to wait our turn to contend. Hopefully the juggernaut in Miami gets old soon.

Yeah, we are on par with 26 other teams. The Wizards is the 27th team. I do think only the Spurs and Pacers can withstand the Heat.

My goal for this year for this team was to make the playoffs. Didn't care if we won a round or not, I just wanted us in the playoffs because I knew how weak the East was.

I had no clue it was going to be this weak.

http://www.bulletsforever.com/2013/12/6/5181600/gilbert-arenas-john-wall-washington-wizards-reconciliation

Gilbert Arenas praises John Wall and says he's "teamwiz4life" on Instagram

With the picture, he wrote the following comment:

If u don't let go of ur past u will never live in the present some of us are stuck on things that happened 2,6,even 10yrs ago and the ppl u were around have moved on while ur still dwelling on the past #letgo #mines(felt the locker room story got flipped and made worst then what it really was)5yrs later i can say I'm teamwiz4life

That, coupled with another recent Instagram video of his old home in Great Falls (which is no longer on the market) has to make you wonder if he's ready to settle back down in the DMV.

Arenas also said the following about John Wall, with whom he briefly played in his final season in Washington.

thx lil bro @john_wall thx for believing in me and asking for help before games and after..#allstar (if u believe u can't be stopped then u won't ..only u can stop u)

"Only u can stop u" might be the best #WizardsSlogan we've seen to date. It's most certainly the title we'd use if we ever wrote a biography on Gilbert Arenas.

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH

Gil brought guns into the locker room and got into a standoff with Javaris Crittenton. Then he acted like a complete clown about it after it happened. He brought everything on himself.

Arenas is a good dude at heart. But he was terribly unprofessional and just... wasn't smart. Imagine if you brought four guns into your workplace to **** with one of your coworkers. What do you think would happen?