Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Even accepting that Jan Vesely was a bad pick there is no denying that whatever development path the Wizards put him on failed.  Not only did he fail to show improvement, I think it's clear that he took a step back in his second season.  His free throw percentage dropped from a bad but not unheard of .532 to an entirely unacceptable .308.  Not sure what shooting coaches tried to do but that's ugly. 

While he certainly wasn't good as a rookie he looked a lot more confident than he did as his second season.  Not just shooting but everywhere on the court.  We can laugh at the kid but the bottom line is the wizards invested a lot in him and Wittman/Grunfeld decided to tinker with his shot and turn him into a PF/C.  

I didn't like the pick leading up to the draft.  I don't like players that lack skills to play on both sides of the court.  I don't like players without a natural position.  Having said all that, I can't support the teams decision to play him year one at the wing, then year two ask that he add 20-30 pounds and give PF/C a shot.  The 4 and 5 are the hardest positions to fill in the NBA because the kind of talent that succeeds there is the most rare.  It's not easy to learn to score through contact and to manage your energy through a rebounding wrestling match.  It certainly isn't something anyone is ever going to take to immediately when experiencing it for the first time in the NBA.  Knowing this did you hear Ernie and Wittman encouraging the kid?  Telling the media and fans that he's making an incredibly difficult transition and that struggles early on are to be expected?  No.  They tossed him to the wolves to save their own asses.  Had they talked about the transition/development the spotlight falls entirely on them, and they know that, so instead they didn't even mention it.  They made it seem like he just wasn't getting it.  Singleton got the same treatment and predictably failed.  

Draft Porter and make him a PF/C in year two and you'll see it again.  He's better than Singleton and Vesely, by a wide margin, but if they try to make him an NBA big man without any experience in that role in his sophomore season he'll fall on his face.  

Vesely should not have been drafted but what they did after they got him on the team is just as bad as their scouting.  

Edited by Destino

While he certainly wasn't good as a rookie he looked a lot more confident than he did as his second season.  Not just shooting but everywhere on the court.  We can laugh at the kid but the bottom line is the wizards invested a lot in him and Wittman/Grunfeld decided to tinker with his shot and turn him into a PF/C.  

We all know Flip was awful with young players and probably did more damage than good. Like I said, this screams of a organization that has put little to no effort into improving its foundations and behind the scenes stuff. Maybe its Ted, maybe its Ernie. But either way, its lazy and weak.

any player they draft is a risk of being ruined. But, you have to draft the best guy you can.

Again, I don't want any more projects.  If Noel, Len or Zeller don't have skills on either side of the ball, I don't want them. I want more players like Wall and Beal who can come in and contribute right away.  I think Porter is that guy as long as they leave him at the 3, which has been a huge area of weakness for us.  We have enough guys to play the 4 and 5.  Porter could contribute right away.  As far as Noel goes, if he can't score in college consistantly, what makes you think he'll all of the sudden be able to turn it on in the pros?

I don't need Vesely to tell me drafting Vesely was a mistake.  

What kills me is how far in advance they telegraphed that he was their guy. You get the feeling Ernie fell in love with the idea of him catching lobs from Wall and thought "damn the flaws, he's an attraction".

Again, I don't want any more projects.  If Noel, Len or Zeller don't have skills on either side of the ball, I don't want them. I want more players like Wall and Beal who can come in and contribute right away.  I think Porter is that guy as long as they leave him at the 3, which has been a huge area of weakness for us.  We have enough guys to play the 4 and 5.  Porter could contribute right away.  As far as Noel goes, if he can't score in college consistantly, what makes you think he'll all of the sudden be able to turn it on in the pros?

The problem is that all bigs are projects to some extent.  I think Zeller is the most NBA ready but has the lowest upside.  Len isn't as polished as Zeller but the best shooter of the three and has a higher upside.  Noel is the least ready but has the highest potential by far because of his explosive athleticism.  

I think the Wizards needs are mostly at PF/C where the team is going to need a starter.  If the team does not re-sign Webster the SF position is the next greatest need as the team would need a new starter next season.  SG and PG need depth only.

The problem is that all bigs are projects to some extent.  I think Zeller is the most NBA ready but has the lowest upside.  Len isn't as polished as Zeller but the best shooter of the three and has a higher upside.  Noel is the least ready but has the highest potential by far because of his explosive athleticism.  

I think the Wizards needs are mostly at PF/C where the team is going to need a starter.  If the team does not re-sign Webster the SF position is the next greatest need as the team would need a new starter next season.  SG and PG need depth only.

You bring up some good points, but I guess I'm tired of waiting for guys who never seem to develop.  I'm in the Porter crowd and then Bennett if Porter is taken.  Don't get me wrong, if Noel falls to us, then so be it.  I mean, Porter and Bennett might go 1-2.  But I'd rather have a guy like Beal and Wall who can slide right in and contribute right away. 

For the first time I'm kind've excited about the Wizards draft.  Wizards do nothing and end up with Noel, Porter, or Bennett.  I suppose EGEG could screw up by trading #3 for something in the 7-10 range if there was a great deal.... but why bother? 

Yeah I hope we come away with Porter, Noel, Bennett, or Zeller.  You'd think it wouldn't be that hard with a #3 pick.

Not sure which order I want them in, but I'd be fine with any of those four.  Though I don't think Zeller is on our radar.

I just feel really antsy about Len.  I see the physical tools and I'm impressed.  I read the stories about his work ethic and I'm impressed.  I've got this great picture of him being this Marc Gasol like two way center and talk myself into him.

Then I think back to what I actually saw when I watched him play.  He's not even close to the sum of his parts as a player.  And he's got a serious lower leg injury.  I don't trust Len at three.

Yeah I hope we come away with Porter, Noel, Bennett, or Zeller.  You'd think it wouldn't be that hard with a #3 pick.

Not sure which order I want them in, but I'd be fine with any of those four.  Though I don't think Zeller is on our radar.

I just feel really antsy about Len.  I see the physical tools and I'm impressed.  I read the stories about his work ethic and I'm impressed.  I've got this great picture of him being this Marc Gasol like two way center and talk myself into him.

Then I think back to what I actually saw when I watched him play.  He's not even close to the sum of his parts as a player.  And he's got a serious lower leg injury.  I don't trust Len at three.

I think a lot of the Len hype is due to the domination of Noel back in Ocotober. 

That being said, I agree with what you posted.  I don't think Zeller is on our radar, so it's going to come down to Bennett, Noel, or Porter. 

Honestly, the more I watch of Bennett, the more I like.  He's got some issues defensively, but I think we have a strong enough structure with the team that he can be coached up and a lack of effort won't be tolerated.  I know for one thing, he won't see the floor under Wittman unless he plays well on both ends of the court.  His offense is too tantalizing to pass up.  Bennett, to me, has the potential to be a double-digit scorer right off the bat.  I could see him averaging something like 12/7 as a rookie.  This guy has the tools to be a 20/10 player who can score on you from anywhere.  We have a need for a stretch 4, so let's get him.  If he's our guy, it's going to be imperative that we re-sign Martell Webster. 

What I would like to see happen is us drafting Bennett and packaging our two 2nd round picks to get a defensive anchor later in the 1st like Withey, Dieng, or Adams - if available. 

Yeah I think that's a good plan RA15.  I like Bennett a lot too.  He's a good kid and I think he could be a nice weapon.  And I agree, you need to do like Memphis and get a big, defensive center to pair with him in the front court.  Don't know if that's a vet or a draft pick, both could work out in time.

I think having veteran guys like Nene, Okafor, and Martell would be a big help for Bennett.  And on the other side, I think having young but mature guys like Wall and Beal who he could be friends with and grow up with here would be great for him.  Lots of good influences for him.  It's a nice locker room for him.

I just want Randy Wittman to know and sign off on what a project on defense he's going to be taking on.

Yeah I think that's a good plan RA15.  I like Bennett a lot too.  He's a good kid and I think he could be a nice weapon.  And I agree, you need to do like Memphis and get a big, defensive center to pair with him in the front court.  Don't know if that's a vet or a draft pick, both could work out in time.

I think having veteran guys like Nene, Okafor, and Martell would be a big help for Bennett.  And on the other side, I think having young but mature guys like Wall and Beal who he could be friends with and grow up with here would be great for him.  Lots of good influences for him.  It's a nice locker room for him.

I just want Randy Wittman to know and sign off on what a project on defense he's going to be taking on.

A guy like Bennett would be destined to fail if we had the same knuckleheads on this roster like McGee, Blatche, Young, etc.  Our vets (from a leadership/professionalism standpoint) are outstanding.  Our young guys (Beal/Wall) will do anything to win and also understand the responsibility of being not only a good basketball player, but a good citizen as well.  It's a good mix of young and old on this roster who are all playing for the same thing and have common goals.  Bennett (along with Porter, Noel, or Zeller) would fit in very nicely with the group that we have.  Even with his red-flags, I think they become non-issues if he was to be drafted here.  Injuries are one thing...and they're out of everyone's hands.  However, things like defense and overall awareness can be coached up by our staff and by the vets on this roster.  These guys won't accept anything less than maximum effort while on the floor.  You have to be accountable. 

The thing I like about Bennett is that he's got a fairly high floor.  He has tangible offensive skills, he rebounds, and he gets turnovers and big plays on D.

It's like Paul Millsap, you're going to get a base line of solid performance because he's so skilled.  Maybe he never puts it together on D and thus becomes that All Star caliber big.  But you're getting an offensive weapon out of him at the very least.  Plus a physical rebounder, which we need.  And he brings something completely different to this team.  We've needed some kind of face up forward with a perimeter shot.  We've needed a good pick and roll weapon who can be a powerful and effective inside finisher.  Bennett fills in a lot of holes for our offense.

I have always been a "Porter or Bennett" guy, but leaned toward Porter. Steve, you are changing my mind a little. I like Bennett a lot, but the defensive issues scare me a little. But he does have undeniable potential.

I would be more than happy with either.

Edited by lovetoaster

I have always been a "Porter or Bennett" guy, but leaned toward Porter. Steve, you are changing my mind a little. I like Bennett a lot, but the defensive issues scare me a little. But he does have undeniable potential.

I would be more than happy with either.

My preference is probably something like 1.) Noel, 2.) Porter, 3.) Bennett.  But I'm close with Porter and Bennett and would be fine with either.  I probably prefer Porter a little over Bennett because Porter is a really nice defensive player and has excellent potential on that side of the ball IMO.

I like Zeller too, but like I said before, I just don't think he's on our board at three.

I've got worries about all of the top guys:

Noel - weight, knee injury, lack of a jump shot.

Porter - weight and base strength, lack of explosiveness and creative handles, lack of ability to shoot off the dribble.

Bennett - injury & conditioning, lack of effort on d, lack of a post game.

A lot of those things can be worked on and developed in time.  Noel can get bigger and develop a shot.  Porter can get stronger in his lower half and get more explosive and he can learn to shoot off the dribble.  Bennett can get stronger and develop his post game and he certainly has a lot of room to improve on D.

In general, I think each of those guys are fairly safe prospects because they've all got a definite set of skills they can go to and get on the floor early and command a role.  And they've each got a good ceiling.  Porter is easily the best SF in the class, Bennett is probably the best PF, and Noel is probably the best C.

There's a good chance we'll have a choice of noel, porter, or bennett at #3.

Are you saying all three might be available at three?

Len at one, Dipo or McLemore at two?

I think that's a little unlikely but it's not out of the question.

No matter what, it's guaranteed at least one of the three you mentioned will be there at three obviously, which is good enough for me.  I still think the draft is going to go:

1.) Noel to somebody

2.) McLemore to somebody

3.) We choose between Porter, Bennett, and Len.