Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

No to either. I don't want Bosh and I don't want to move that pick. Take Porter if he's there and be safe about it.

Trade idea I saw on Facebook.

I hate to admit it, but I'm pretty much all in for Porter as well. I mean, I think that if we trade we're only going to get someone who's older and marginally comparable on a talent level to Porter, but with a much lower ceiling.

I'm not the biggest fan of Randy or Ernie, but I can understand keeping them right now. I wouldn't extend them. I'd basically make this a put up or shut up year. I'd expect the team to make the playoffs this year and not be in the lottery. The performance that Wittman got out of them second half of last year was impressive, but I'm tired of ending the season with high expectations only to be disappointed as the season starts. Anybody remember that 6 game winning streak?

I've wanted Porter since day one when we learned we would get the 3rd pick.  While Len is tall and has potential, I'd rather get a guy that can come in and contribute right away much like Wall and Beal have done.  No more projects.  We have enough of those on our bench already (Seraphin and Vesely to name a couple). 

As far as coach goes.  I'm not advocating getting Karl, but saying he's not a good coach because he gets bounced in the 1st or 2nd round is pretty unfair.  If he was in the Eastern Conference, I'd agree with you.  Being in the Western Conference, the Nuggets have had to deal with a whole lot more competition over the years (Lakers, Spurs, Mavs, Jazz, Thunder and now resurgent franchises like the Clips, Golden State and Memphis).  The road over the last 10 years has been harder going through the West than the East.  A .599 winning percentage is nothing to sneeze at and while I don't want us to hire him, I don't think Wittman is the answer long term.

Edited by pjfootballer

I'm kinda excited that we're talking to Noel. If we can get him I'll be happy. I do have some concerns about his knee, but we'll see. I'd be all in for gambling on him.

I'd have the exact opposite reaction.  Disaster.  I want no part of Noel.  Defensive centers are a massive limitation and they require a great offensive team to succeed around them.  

Edited by Destino

I think when you draft a big man, it feels like you need a better team with better coaches than what Washington has. Didn't somebody want to bring in another coach for McGee and Ernie killed that idea? I don't want Noel. But if Porter and Bennett are gone, what do you do?

Trade #1 

Miami gets; Emeka Okafor, Kevin Seraphim

Washington Gets; Chris Bosh plus Cash

Trade #2

Sacramento Gets; Chris Bosh

Washington Gets; Demarcus Cousins, Travis Outlaw, John Salmons

So we come out of it with Cousins, Outlaw, Salmons and keep our #3 pick and only lose Okafor/Seraphim?

Deal.

Trade #1 

Trade #2

So we come out of it with Cousins, Outlaw, Salmons and keep our #3 pick and only lose Okafor/Seraphim?

Deal.

There is no way Miami is giving up Bosh, let alone Bosh and cash, for Okafor and Seraphin.  If they traded Bosh the price would likely be Beal and the #3 pick.  Star players don't go for expiring contracts.  

I'm kinda excited that we're talking to Noel. If we can get him I'll be happy. I do have some concerns about his knee, but we'll see. I'd be all in for gambling on him.

I'd have the exact opposite reaction.  Disaster.  I want no part of Noel.  Defensive centers are a massive limitation and they require a great offensive team to succeed around them.  

I disagree with that. I think a defensive center is a must have, especially on this team. I'd like a center that can get me 20 and 10 on any given night, but if he can hold down the paint and force the opposition to take more shots from outside then it provides a great help to our team.

But I wouldn't even label Noel as strictly a defensive guy. I think he's a young guy who's still developing his offensive arsenol and while we'd be drafting him primarily on his defense, his offensive potential isn't nonexistent, especially when you think back to Wall and McGee and how they liked to do the alley-oops and his ability to grab boards.  And I'm still analyzing his stats, but it seems like he was coming into his own towards the end of the year. I mean 4 of his last 5 (and 8 of his last 10) games, he was in double digit points. He had 10+ rebounds in his last 3 games.

Then if you look closer at it, in games where he took more than 5 shots, he was 5-8, 7-10, 4-5, 4-9, 5-8, 5-7, 4-6, 6-8, 4-5, 4-8, 3-5, 6-8, 3-14, 4-10, 9-11, 6-8, 5-11, 2-6, 7-8, and 8-9. That's a combined 101-164, or .615. That's a good number and at least he's not taking shots outside his range and it shows that when he does take shots he does so effectively, so a key might be to get him to use his frame more to take more shots.

Plus he didn't receive much help from Archie Goodwin and Alex Poythress. Hopefully that'd be different with Wall and Beal.

Trade #1 

Trade #2

Deal.

There is no way Miami is giving up Bosh, let alone Bosh and cash, for Okafor and Seraphin.  If they traded Bosh the price would likely be Beal and the #3 pick.  Star players don't go for expiring contracts.  

I thought the new CBA was going to force the Heat to make some hard choices.

This is what I found from a search for that.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1527894-how-miami-heat-can-assure-big-3-stay-in-2014

Its all about the luxury tax and if the Heat owner is willing to pay that to keep them together.

I think you're dead on about Noel, Thinking Skins.

He was growing leaps and bounds offensively before he got hurt.  Showed much more offensive versatility and confidence.  It was palpable.  I think it was mostly a confidence thing, but Calipari also took him off the leash offensively and started making the guards pass to him in the post.  He was effective with these running hooks in particular because he's got legit blow by ability.  He has good handles and the quickness to get around pretty much everyone.  When you've got a big man with big time blow by ability, that can be the foundation of a potent offense for him even without advanced skills.  Look at Dwight Howard and how he averaged 20 to 22 PPG while leading the NBA in FG%.

Alex Len gets a pass for his low impact on offense and his low scoring numbers because of Maryland's guards.  Well, it applies to Kentucky's too.  Ryan Harrow and Archie Goodwin were two of the worst passing guards Calipari has ever had.  They couldn't work the ball inside, they were pure slashers who just chucked.

Noel also wasn't that confident on offense early on, still feeling his way out in the college game, so he was pretty content to just play defense and rebound and score in limited ways while letting the guards and Poythress take most of the shots.

I think he's the best player in the class by far, and I would be giddy if we got him.  He's a special talent.  The best Boston prospect since Pat Ewing and I think he's got some Ewing in him.  Remember, people thought Ewing was mainly a defensive guy and not much of a scorer coming out of Georgetown too, and then he developed an outstanding jumper and huge post scoring arsenal and became one of the most prolific scoring centers ever.

I would even consider trading up for him.  If Cleveland wants Porter or Orlando wants McLemore/Oladipo/Burke, then you've got a situation where a trade could be mutually beneficial for everyone involved.  

I see Noel as a rich man's Joakim Noah.  Better length, better athleticism, similar skills and on court demeanor.  Noah was never the blue chipper Noel is, but he's massively exceeded his expectations in the NBA.

And I think a blue chip version of Noel is definitely worth the first overall pick.  Noel is an incredibly impactful player without being a big time scorer.  Defensive centers of the caliber of Noel/Gasol/Hibbert/Howard/Garnett/Duncan are pretty much the only guys who can be as impactful as superstars without putting up superstar scoring numbers themselves.  Like a LBJ, Durant, Kobe, or Melo, they are an automatic ticket to the postseason.  And once you're in the postseason, they give you a great chance to advance because of how defensively dominated the games tend to get.  Noel, Gasol, Hibbert, and Duncan were the four best defensive centers this season, and all four of them made it out of the first round, with Hibbert, Gasol, and Duncan all making it to their conference finals.

None put up big time scoring numbers this season.  These kinds of players are extremely impactful.  If Noel ends up being a rich man's Noah, then we would have one of the most impactful players in the league.  And we'd be pairing him with Wall and Beal, a transcendent talent at PG and a future top 3 SG.  That's a true blue contender IMO.

Make it happen Ernie.

Ewing was thought a defensive center in an era where the definition of good offensive center was vastly different.  He was hitting over 60% of his free throws and field goals as a freshman in college and averaged more points than Noel.  He also looks bigger than Noel to me, though I have no idea what his combine measurements would have been.  

Also I don't agree with the Noah comparison at all.  Noah thrives on contact and aggression and spends most games actively looking for someone wrestle and get mad at.  Noel gets shoved around like a rag doll when he gets contacted and looks to avoid most of it so that he can use his incredibly explosive leaping ability.  They just aren't the same type of players.  Noel looks like a smaller, much smarter, JaVale McGee.   

My concern with Noel is not limited to his offense, which is horrible, but also that I'm not sure he's an elite defender in the NBA.  Elite defender, at the center position, means more than it does at other positions.  I think he'll be great as a help defender altering shots at the rim and smothering players when he's the second guy on a double team.  Elite defense however would mean that he can mostly check other centers and I'm not convinced that he can be asked to stop guys like Lopez and Hibbert.  He never really shut down any other first round centers during his first year in college.  

I thought the new CBA was going to force the Heat to make some hard choices.

This is what I found from a search for that.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1527894-how-miami-heat-can-assure-big-3-stay-in-2014

Its all about the luxury tax and if the Heat owner is willing to pay that to keep them together.

I think they will end up breaking up the big three, especially if they lose to the Spurs, but I doubt they'll surrender a star player like Bosh for peanuts. They won't get a star back but I think they'll get more value than Seraphin and Okafor.

Edited by Destino

I think they will end up breaking up the big three, especially if they lose to the Spurs, but I doubt they'll surrender a star player like Bosh for peanuts. They won't get a star back but I think they'll get more value than Seraphin and Okafor.

and who's going to give up much for Bosh? Maybe the guys that are willing to make Jason Kidd a HC, but that's it.

and who's going to give up much for Bosh? Maybe the guys that are willing to make Jason Kidd a HC, but that's it.

I'm not sure but I think you are under valuing Bosh.  I could see the Rockets wanting him in order to get Harden a second star if they don't land Howard.  Teams aren't going to get anywhere with one, and most GMs realize this and act accordingly.  

Jan Vesely speaks out:

Jan Vesely has been on the Czech media circuit recently, but his latest interview to the Czech basketball magazine "Basket" (here's the website,
the story is not online) is what should grab most people's attention.
Some of the money quotes, translated by the always-excellent Luke
Mellow:

Link

Some interesting stuff in there.

Pretty much affirming that this pick should have NEVER been made.  He's not cut out for the NBA and would be better served going back to Europe. 

His skill set in Europe doesn't translate to the NBA.  I think the Wizards saw him as a 4, and this is why they've been asking him to bulk up.  The transition to playing PF hasn't gone smoothly, obviously.  The man has no confidence and who knows if he'll ever get it back.  At this point, the Wizards just need to cut their losses by any means necessary. 

• Like 1

Jan Vesely speaks out:

Jan Vesely has been on the Czech media circuit recently, but his latest interview to the Czech basketball magazine "Basket" (here's the website,

Mellow:

Link

Pretty much affirming that this pick should have NEVER been made.  He's not cut out for the NBA and would be better served going back to Europe. 

His skill set in Europe doesn't translate to the NBA.  I think the Wizards saw him as a 4, and this is why they've been asking him to bulk up.  The transition to playing PF hasn't gone smoothly, obviously.  The man has no confidence and who knows if he'll ever get it back.  At this point, the Wizards just need to cut their losses by any means necessary. 

I have a feeling they thought he could be another Andre Blatche who gets drafted to play the 3 but has the height to play the 4 or 5, so they tried to convert him to a 4 or 5 and it just blew up in their face.

Jan Vesely speaks out:

Mellow:

Link

It also shines a light on how bad a job we've done developing him.  We managed to make him worse than he was before he got here.

I don't get the complaint about bulking up.  Obviously Vesely will never ever have a Nikola Pekovic like body.  And you can bulk up rapidly if you do it right.  That sounds like ****ing and moaning to me.  Vesely OBVIOUSLY needs to get stronger no matter what position he plays.  He's too soft and probably the only way you're going to change that is to get stronger.  And he's weak.  Not naturally strong. So the only way he's going to get stronger is to get a lot bigger.

Vesely doesn't have a play style to **** about getting transitioned away from.  He can't dribble.  He can't shoot.  So he can't play on the perimeter.  It's that simple.