The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

20 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Missing two starters.

Halloween hangover.

Looking past your opponent.

Got a big lead and coasted...poorly.

Moving on...

Yeah.  Not panicking yet.  (add in 1 bench guy not 100% in Smith).  We started 2-8 last year and went 47-25 the rest of the way.  So while it would have been nice to beat LA and Pho and be 6-1, 4-3 is better than 2-8.  I'll start my annual b*****ing if they continue to play this way when Keef and Smith get back 100%.  But I give them a pass for now.

31 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Missing two starters.

Halloween hangover.

Looking past your opponent.

Got a big lead and coasted...poorly.

Moving on...

All of that is true.  But it's time to admit this teams defense is the problem. It's defense that killed us in the playoffs last season (check out the Celtics points in our losses).  Wall and Beal aren't stupid, and they've been saying some version of "This team has no problem scoring, defense is the problem" repeatedly. 

Ernie wildly overpaid for a defensive center, which made no sense at the time, but it now seems that Brooks defense is flat out awful without one.  Wittman could get these guys to defend with Seraphin glued to the floor, but Brooks clearly coaches defense differently.  

Not sure there's much we can do now because of Mahinmi's contract, but stranger things have happened.  

This team is going to have to figure out how to deal with high pick n rolls though even if by some miracle we do upgrade at center.  Ball and Randle killed us in the 4th quarter with that, and they don't have nearly enough scoring ability for that to be the case.  The Suns did the same last night with essentially anonymous players.  

None of this is to say our season is over, or anything so dramatic.  Our defense wasn't great last season and we still did well.  We're better this season and the east is worse.  We'll be ok.  But to take that next step, this defense cant be bad.  Certainly not if we hope to beat the Celtics or Cavs in the playoffs. 

• Like 2

Wanna see what the D looks like with Morris in before I worry too much about it. He changed it dramatically last season, I would assume he can do it again. 

Problem here is obviously what we look like without him if he has to miss more games.