Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

7 minutes ago, TheItalianStallion said:

Good D today. Maybe now things will come together on that side of the ball?

I wouldn't necessarily call it good but it was better.  Morris and Porter clearly make a difference.  And Mahinmi had a solid game.  But the Raptors were still getting too many easy twos and open threes and it turned into a major run in the third quarter and the beginning of the fourth.  They just couldn't hit the three ball.  CJ Miles and Kyle Lowry are the only good three balls on that team.  Ibaka is solid for a big, but when he's your third best perimeter shooter, you've got a weakness.  We did a good job exploiting the weakness by playing off and playing zones during the first half, but they stopped rotating and cutting off the rim in the third and that plus all of the bad turnovers caused our big lead to disappear as a result.

The oft-maligned Frazier and Mahinmi each had good games today.  My only complaint with Mahinmi was some poor touch on his finishes around the rim.  Other than that, he didn't force things, rebounded well, made his FTs, and played good defense without fouling.

Frazier was under control today.  And he was a pest on defense.  It was a nice, gritty veteran performance.  I like his floor presence.  He settles things down and makes a difference even with his shot not falling.  We can tread water during a Wall injury if Frazier plays like that and Beal continues to take over the reins for the offense.

Mike Scott and Jason Smith are good players.  Oubre is going to be a beast of a three and D wing.  Meeks is a deadeye who could spot start for Beal if he should get hurt.  Sato can fill in the cracks on the perimeter.  We've got 12 good players and I think Brooks can run a successful 10-11 man rotation.  I think the bench will come together over the next month and end up being pretty good.

22 minutes ago, Destino said:

Beal has scored 40, 36, and 38 in the last three games.  

He's become one of the best all around scorers in the league now that he gets to the FT line.  He's also become a really consistent player.  He's a worker.

It's not just Beal filling it up either.  John is averaging 20 & 10 despite his poor start to the season.  Otto is averaging 18 PPG and Oubre and Gortat are both at 12 PPG.  Also getting 9 each from Meeks and Scott.  The offense has been powerful through 9 games.  Defense is our major issue.

We've had breakdowns on the perimeter that have killed us, but it's a major problem that John is our best rim protector.  No defense is going to be any good when their PG leads the team in blocks.  I appreciate what Gortat does on offense, but he kills us on defense.  We need to quietly explore Gortat trades.  And we desperately need a YOUNG center with the athleticism to control the paint.  I wish we could get Nerlens Noel.

20 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

First Wiz to do it since Jeff Malone

Wizards passed the ball better too. The dribble-dribble Wall offense ain't the wave.

I suspect that it's easy for coaches to excessively rely on Wall's talents as a point guard.  Why harp on a bunch of young millionaires to pass and run, when you've got a guy that can get them all shots while they see still?  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

First Wiz to do it since Jeff Malone

Wizards passed the ball better too. The dribble-dribble Wall offense ain't the wave.

The Wall controlled offense isn't the problem. The offense has been lighting it up every night. ( I'm not talking about the end game hero ball stuff though. That can stop). It's the defense. Toronto hit 3! Triples last night. That won't happen again all year. 

10 hours ago, Destino said:

I suspect that it's easy for coaches to excessively rely on Wall's talents as a point guard.  Why harp on a bunch of young millionaires to pass and run, when you've got a guy that can get them all shots while they see still?  

Its the same thing Doc Rivers did with Chris Paul in LA.

Relying on super point guards help mask offensive deficiencies.

12 hours ago, pjfootballer said:

No way we ever get 3 All-Stars (unless LBJ goes west).  I think Beal deserves to be at least our second, but too early to declare Otto an AS. 

Who else makes it as a SF out of the East? Lebron and...? I mean Greek Freak doesn't really have a position.

12 minutes ago, Destino said:

I remember many of you suggesting the Celtics wouldn't be that good, and may have even taken a step back.  They look like the one seed out of the east to me.  

I'm not scared of them at all.  We'll eventually find our footing and start playing good basketball.  So will Cleveland.  And it's only a matter of time before Irving and Horford get hurt.

23 minutes ago, Destino said:

I remember many of you suggesting the Celtics wouldn't be that good, and may have even taken a step back.  They look like the one seed out of the east to me.  

I also remember this.

8 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I'm not scared of them at all.  We'll eventually find our footing and start playing good basketball.  So will Cleveland.  And it's only a matter of time before Irving and Horford get hurt.

hoping for injury is admitting you were wrong about them.

7 hours ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

hoping for injury is admitting you were wrong about them.

I was wrong about them starting slow, they have been playing really well despite having a lot of new faces.  Stevens deserves a ton of credit for it.  I'm not hoping for injury.  It's just going to happen to Irving and Horford because it always does.  Brown and Tatum are going to get worn out too.  And their depth is even worse now after Hayward's injury, I wasn't wrong about that.  They've got seven guys without a healthy Morris.  They have no chance at beating either us or Cleveland in a series.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Who else makes it as a SF out of the East? Lebron and...? I mean Greek Freak doesn't really have a position.

AS Game is a popularity contest and too many times I've seen our guys omitted because we usually suck.  But Wall will make it and I think Beal will make it.  It would be great to see Otto make it, but somehow I can't see them putting 3 Wizards in. Only way Otto gets in, is if he gets his PPG. up over 20 by the ASB.  He's close.

2 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I was wrong about them starting slow, they have been playing really well despite having a lot of new faces.  Stevens deserves a ton of credit for it.  I'm not hoping for injury.  It's just going to happen to Irving and Horford because it always does.  Brown and Tatum are going to get worn out too.  And their depth is even worse now after Hayward's injury, I wasn't wrong about that.  They've got seven guys without a healthy Morris.  They have no chance at beating either us or Cleveland in a series.

You are literally hoping for injuries to somehow show you were right about Boston.

They are better than last year and better than us. And Kyrie looks like he made that leap. 

• Like 1