Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

2 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

You are literally hoping for injuries to somehow show you were right about Boston.

They are better than last year and better than us. And Kyrie looks like he made that leap. 

lol, I'm not hoping for injuries.  They're not better than us.  If we play them in the playoffs, we'll beat them.

2 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:

I dont know how you can watch the defense that we have played and conclude that any team, let alone Boston, has no chance of beating us

Because its a hypothetical playoff series and we have more top end talent and depth than they do and are better seasoned.

They might win more regular season games than us but their only shot at making it past us in the playoffs is if we get stuck playing Cleveland in the second round.

Also, it's been nine games, you guys really want to throw in the towel?  The team is going to start playing well eventually.  They'll rip off a big winning streak and maybe then you all will have some confidence.

3 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Because its a hypothetical playoff series and we have more top end talent and depth than they do and are better seasoned.

They might win more regular season games than us but their only shot at making it past us in the playoffs is if we get stuck playing Cleveland in the second round.

Also, it's been nine games, you guys really want to throw in the towel?  The team is going to start playing well eventually.  They'll rip off a big winning streak and maybe then you all will have some confidence.

nobody's talking about throwing in the towel.

we lost to boston last year because of major lack of depth and Brooks got outcoached.  Those two things have not changed.  The bench is marginally better, but is largely dependent on Kelly continuing his leap.  Meeks looks good, but the rest are JAG's.

Brooks is the issues that bears watching.  Stevenson has his squad playing some damn good defense, that usually holds up in the playoffs

9 minutes ago, Llevron said:

So if yall are saying Scott Brooks is the issue, when do we cut bait and who do we pick up? I feel like thats jumping the gun alot, but I want to know all of your thoughts cause I dont know enough to judge coaching yet. 

I don't think anybody is saying Brooks should be fired.  Its a moot point anyway because with his contract, he ain't going anywhere anytime soon. Ted ain't cutting that kind of check.

the thing with Brooks is that last season ended in large part because our defense was ****, and so far this season, our defense has somehow managed to be even worse.  Brooks has to get a handle on that, pointing that out doesn't mean we need to cut bait with the guy

Edited by StillUnknown
  • Like 2

Well i mean he aint gonna fix it. If I remember correctly his problem with the Thunder was the exact problem he has here. Hero ball and no D. Though he had Illblocka then and no one now. Maybe thats the biggest issue. He seems to like to funnel the ball handler into the paint for contested shots.....but we aint got anyone in the paint to contest them. 

Oh and I dont think yall are saying he needs to go....im saying he probably does cause I dont see him changing his coaching and I feel like he has been out coached way more than I planned on.....but that may be jumping the gun. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Well i mean he aint gonna fix it. If I remember correctly his problem with the Thunder was the exact problem he has here. Hero ball and no D. Though he had Illblocka then and no one now. Maybe thats the biggest issue. He seems to like to funnel the ball handler into the paint for contested shots.....but we aint got anyone in the paint to contest them. 

Oh and I dont think yall are saying he needs to go....im saying he probably does cause I dont see him changing his coaching and I feel like he has been out coached way more than I planned on.....but that may be jumping the gun. 

Im with you, but I never liked the Brooks hire. Never thought too highly of him as a coach.

1 minute ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

Im with you, but I never liked the Brooks hire. Never thought too highly of him as a coach.

I remember that. I liked him initially to be honest. I wanted someone who was going to get the most out of our young guys and he is doing that for the most part. I also wanted someone who could give the team a more ready for playoffs feel - and I know that description is arbitrary at its best so im sorry but I cant find a better way to describe it - and I feel like he has improved us here as well; though not much, but better. 

What I didnt expect was for the defense to suffer this much. I figured Wall, Beal and Otto being some of the best defenders at their positions (maybe not Otto, but he is no hoe) would help him more, but I was so wrong there. And I didnt expect Gortat to fall off a cliff or for us to pick up Ian who is literally trash out there on the floor. And I didnt expect for Walls shot to go MIA - making hero ball a horrible horrible liability for us. 

2 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

I think we matchup better with Boston now even if they might be more talented, if that makes any sense.

They're not more talented than us.  Our best player (Wall) is better than their best player (Irving).  Our second best player (Beal) is better than their second best player (Horford).  Our third best player (Otto) is better than their third best player (Brown).  Our fourth best player (Gortat) is better than their fourth best player (Tatum).  Our fifth best player (Morris) is better than their fifth best player (Morris).  Our sixth best player (Oubre) is better than their sixth best player (Smart).  Don't really feel like figuring out the hierarchy from there, but Mahinmi/Frazier/Meeks/Smith/Scott > Rozier/Baynes/Ojeleye/Theis.

The only spot Boston is better than us at is coach.  When does coaching matter?  The regular season.  When does it not?  The playoffs.

Brown and Tatum might be able to change the equation eventually, particularly if Hayward comes back strong.  But it ain't happening this year.

14 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

They're not more talented than us.  Our best player (Wall) is better than their best player (Irving).  Our second best player (Beal) is better than their second best player (Horford).  Our third best player (Otto) is better than their third best player (Brown).  Our fourth best player (Gortat) is better than their fourth best player (Tatum).  Our fifth best player (Morris) is better than their fifth best player (Morris).  Our sixth best player (Oubre) is better than their sixth best player (Smart).  Don't really feel like figuring out the hierarchy from there, but Mahinmi/Frazier/Meeks/Smith/Scott > Rozier/Baynes/Ojeleye/Theis.

The only spot Boston is better than us at is coach.  When does coaching matter?  The regular season.  When does it not?  The playoffs.

Brown and Tatum might be able to change the equation eventually, particularly if Hayward comes back strong.  But it ain't happening this year.

I meant they're more talented then they were last year, not more talented than us. I thought we were more talented at the top end last year but lost due to to the bench and Isiah just having a God Mode Game 2. Oh, and Brooks screwing up in Game 7.

I would really love to make a deal for a C at the deadline because Gortat and Mahimi are garbage. Upgrade at C and we make the Finals.

8 minutes ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

Absolutely not.

Heck, posters on a certain site already want to trade Wall.  :wtf:

Oh I think its fair to talk about Wall and how bad he is playing currently, sure. But that doesnt include trading him at all. If we trade Wall we might as well start from scratch. Thats besides the fact that you have to show your best players a little loyalty when they struggle. Steff Curry wasnt always Mr. Golden buckets 

6 minutes ago, Destino said:

Wall isn't above criticism.  He's the team leader, he's playing poorly, and his teammates are playing awful defense.  Its expected that he be criticized in that situation.  Wall can handle it and he'll bounce back.  

Criticizing John's play is one thing. Advocating trading him because we played well against the Toronto Raptors is another thing entirely.

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH
  • Like 1