Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

3 minutes ago, justice98 said:

I would part with Oubre in a heartbeat for Cousins.  Provided Cousins isnt a rental. Oubre's ceiling will never be as high as what Boogie is now.

But Oubre and non-lottery picks will never be enough to get that deal done.  In the absence of quality picks, I would think the Wiz dont really have the ammo to pull this off.

I think we have enough with Oubre but we gonna have to part with a lot of picks due to the Mahinmi contract.

• Like 1

If you do Mahinmi + Oubre for Cousins, then you need to make a second trade involving Gortat.

Or another idea is to structure the Cousins trade around Gortat.  Gortat plus Oubre for Cousins feels dear though, considering he's an expiring that already got traded for a bag of crap.

So a third idea might be to go ahead and trade Gortat for an expiring contract and an asset.  Then use that asset to go after Cousins in a package of draft picks and Mahinmi so that maaaaaybe we can keep Oubre.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:

this 5-5 feels worse than last years 2-8 start

Not for me.  Last year's start induced panic.  This year's slow start has been virtually league-wide.  Lot of turmoil left over from the summer and, with such a short preseason, the league's good teams have had some crappy starts.  Boston and Houston are the only good teams from last year that are feeling good about the start of their season.

It's amusing that people think the Wiz have the assets to make a trade for Cousins. Outside of the Wiz trading one of their top 3 plus additional assets, it's not happening. 

The Wiz seem to have stretches like this every year then pull it together for a good run. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Not for me.  Last year's start induced panic.  This year's slow start has been virtually league-wide.  Lot of turmoil left over from the summer and, with such a short preseason, the league's good teams have had some crappy starts.  Boston and Houston are the only good teams from last year that are feeling good about the start of their season.

last years' slow start could at least be logically explained.  Wall coming out double knee surgery, not exactly sure what we were going to get from Beal & Porter.  Not sure about what we were going to get from Oubre.  we knew the bench was going to be ****

this year Wall showed up in the best shape of his career, Beal & Otto are showing individual leaps, Oubre is showing he is more than on the ball defense.  Yet we seemingly have regressed defensively and showing a level of arrogance that we have not nearly earned.

this start is definitely worse IMO.

2 minutes ago, Hersh said:

It's amusing that people think the Wiz have the assets to make a trade for Cousins. Outside of the Wiz trading one of their top 3 plus additional assets, it's not happening. 

People thought it was going to take that to get Cousins last year.

Then he got traded for Buddy Hield.

He's an expiring contract this year, the Pelicans aren't getting **** for him.  But they didn't give up anything for him either, so it's not like they're going to lose out by dealing him or having him walk.

1 minute ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

He's an expiring contract this year, the Pelicans aren't getting **** for him.  But they didn't give up anything for him either, so it's not like they're going to lose out by dealing him or having him walk.

This is a good point.  A good GM can work a miracle on occasion.  Ernie isn't very good, but maybe he'll get lucky.  

2 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

You are discounting the fact that the Kings are an inept organization with a bad front office. The Pelicans will play to win this year and try to re-sign Cousins. 

17 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

no, this is worse.

We have lost to some really bad teams to start off this season. I dont care about the rest of the league, I only care about our play. And we do not have a lot of goodwill in the bank either.

Losing by damn near 20 to a terrible Mavs team is not something you can just look away.

Edited by BenningRoadSkin

57 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:

this 5-5 feels worse than last years 2-8 start

The operative word is feels.  Objectively a 5-5 start is better and there's really no argument to be made.  What really makes this start hard is that the 3-0 start seemed to confirm all the positive feelings and hype.  This team that should, but never does, win 50 games might finally have turned the corner from merely being talented to showing some focus.  Some consistency.  Fans have been waiting for this!  

Then it became obvious that the Wizars have a major flaw and it's impossible to ignore it.  Watching games is less fun when you know exactly why your team will lose.  

6 minutes ago, Destino said:

Watching ESPN NBA count down and hearing how Stevens has managed to get Kyrie to play defense is enough to make me sick man.

People just gonna have to admit it, Kyrie been better than Wall...

so far this season. (Although Kyrie's win share is on an MVP level. He is also moving the ball better.)

1 hour ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

People just gonna have to admit it, Kyrie been better than Wall...

so far this season. (Although Kyrie's win share is on an MVP level. He is also moving the ball better.)

I was about to go in....read your first line, and it got me REAL triggered LOL....

Then I read the next line.  No argument from me.  This year, 10+ games in, Kyrie has been better.  However, I fully expect the tables to be turned by the All-Star break. 

Anyways, what I don't get is how locked in defensively this team was under Wittman, and now they are routinely giving up 110+ ppg, giving up nothing but easy looks.  They talk about what needs to be done, but don't follow through on their words.  Something has to give. 

• Like 1

Here's three big reasons why the defense has gotten so much worse:

1 - Gortat has fallen off a cliff as a defender.  When we were a top ten defense under Wittman, Gortat was a high quality defender.  His offensive game is virtually the same as it was three years ago, but his defense is a major liability now.  He can't jump off of two feet any more.  J.J. Barea beat him for a rebound because of his utter lack of second bounce.

2 - Personnel losses.  Ariza and Nene were high end defensive players and Otto and Morris aren't as good as them.  Otto has gotten better this year though, but Otto is spacey and has lapses.  Nene was one of the best PnR defenders in the NBA three years ago, we lost that and never replaced it.

3 - Regression from Wall and Beal.  Wall went from being the best defender at his position by a country mile to only playing that side of the court half the time.  Beal went from a quality young wing defender to a nonfactor on that end.  There are a lot of reasons why these things happened.   Wall's legs became an issue and you could tell he was never really feeling good out there until he got his surgeries.  Then last year he came in out of shape and with his lateral movement severely restricted.  He and Beal have both taken on much larger offensive roles so they don't go as hard on defense.  And they developed bad habits that have set in.  Their lack of accountability has left the team uninspired and disorganized on defense.

The only way you fix the D is a culture changer.  You need a center that's an animal on defense.  Someone whose effort and consistency will inspire the other guys to get on his level.  Gortat is a wet noodle, he's killing us.  We need to go get Nerlens Noel.

Edited by stevemcqueen1
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Here's three big reasons why the defense has gotten so much worse:

1 - Gortat has fallen off a cliff as a defender.  When we were a top ten defense under Wittman, Gortat was a high quality defender.  His offensive game is virtually the same as it was three years ago, but his defense is a major liability now.  He can't jump off of two feet any more.  J.J. Barea beat him for a rebound because of his utter lack of second bounce.

small quibble, but bounce should not have been a factor in that rebound.  Gortat had 2 hands on it, Barea didn't sneak up on him, he basically said "this is my ball ****" and Gortat acquiesced