Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

45 minutes ago, Kosher Ham said:

Quick and fast are different. 

I would agree that he is the quickest. 

Respectfully disagree.

It's the opposite. 

Arguably the fastest guard in the league but I can think of a few who are quicker.

Mostly the really small guys (Isaiah Thomas types)

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:

yeah i would bet on John for straight line speed, not sure about going left and right

i would love to know the 40yd times for some of the NBA guys just for comparison, not much of a reason for them to run it though

Probably not since the court is only 30 yards ?

I would love to go and hang with them tomorrow. I swear I might try and sneak off work man.

I was so salty when we hired him because I felt like he was a product of the talent he had in OKC... I'll gladly take a helping of the crow I deserve.

Especially considering that we were getting rid if Whitman and getting an upgrade. I should've been more appreciative of Brooks based on that alone.

Edited by MLSKINS
  • Like 6

Just now, Destino said:

Brooks still has to prove it in the post season.  Wittman was a different animal in the playoffs.  If this team bounces out in the first round I'll feel less positive than I do right now about the new coach.  

Yup...for all of Wittman's warts, he coached circles around both Thibs and Casey...and had the Hawks on the ropes w/ a depleted roster.    Like, he was actually competent.  In all my years watching hoops, I'd NEVER seen such a 180 done between regular season and the playoffs.  Still blows my mind to think about it. 

• Like 1

I think coaching equalizes in the playoffs.  A big part of what makes a good coach is being able to read game flows and make on the spot adjustments.  And to do so with limited preparation.  That's why the great coaches make such a difference in the regular season.  But in the postseason, the weaker coaching staffs have time to catch up to the good ones because there is so much more time to prepare.

And at the end of the day, talent is what wins in the postseason.  There is no doubt in my mind that Casey, Vogel, and Thibs led far better coaching staffs than we had.  Budenholzer for sure.  But we had better talent and we won all of the important match ups on the court against the Raptors and Bulls and we would have done so against Atlanta if we hadn't lost Wall.  Brooks is a strong coach leading a good staff.  If we have an issue in the playoffs, it will be health and not coaching IMO.

38 minutes ago, Sticksboi05 said:

Seriously though J Smith is going to be a huge X-factor in the playoffs, you heard it here first.

I was telling somebody, can't remember if it was here or with my folks, but I a week or two ago I felt like he and Oubre were going to be big for us in the playoffs.

With Ian out now, we are going to need Smith now more than ever. Since I didn't see the bad Smith, I am very confident in him lol

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I think coaching equalizes in the playoffs.  A big part of what makes a good coach is being able to read game flows and make on the spot adjustments.  And to do so with limited preparation.  That's why the great coaches make such a difference in the regular season.  But in the postseason, the weaker coaching staffs have time to catch up to the good ones because there is so much more time to prepare.

And at the end of the day, talent is what wins in the postseason.  There is no doubt in my mind that Casey, Vogel, and Thibs led far better coaching staffs than we had.  Budenholzer for sure.  But we had better talent and we won all of the important match ups on the court against the Raptors and Bulls and we would have done so against Atlanta if we hadn't lost Wall.  Brooks is a strong coach leading a good staff.  If we have an issue in the playoffs, it will be health and not coaching IMO.

Last years finals argues that coaching still plays a huge role.  Kerr was awful and basically fumbled away a title.  He never got away from switching everything on the perimeter and allowed Lebron to go at Curry.  He insisted on using Festus when it was clear that he was a disaster and then put him in game 7 with a lead late that instantly vanished.  Being a media daring though no one really roasted him for being outcoached Lue, but he very clearly was.

Im still amazed that someone thought it a good idea to switch the smallest player onto Lebron for several games rather than just go under the screen and dare him to launch deep threes all game.  

• Like 1

The news on Mahinmi sucks ass. 

He will be evaluated again in 7 to 10 days.  Although the NBA has not released the playoff schedule yet, the evaluation timeline could keep Mahinmi sidelined for at least the opening three games of the first-round series against the Atlanta Hawks.

• Like 1