Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

5 games in and Mr. Max is already questioning if guys really want to be here

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wizards-insider/wp/2016/11/06/after-wizards-loss-beal-points-to-the-guys-who-want-to-show-up/

“We’ve got to find a way to be able to get stops and to be able to score the ball. We’ve got to do one or the other,” Beal said after the Wizards dropped to 1-4. “The biggest thing we can control is our defense and that’s all about effort and wanting to play. I think coach is pretty fed up with the way we’re playing and I think he’s going to start playing guys who want to play and guys who want to show up.”

this is fine..........

• Like 1

I was in my happy place with guitars and whiskey last night, but I was able to keep one eye on the game for a good part of the 4th quarter.  Looked to me as if the effort was pretty good and we simply missed a couple shots that we normally would make.  With JW out there we beat that squad soundly.  

Am I wrong?

1 hour ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Am I wrong?

No you're not.

I think that game was an important test for how the team would do with out John though.  They came up small.  Beal needed to play better.  And I think Porter needed to do more to get involved as a scorer.  Some of that comes down to his limited role in the offense, but he's just going to have to assert himself more and force his teammates to get him the ball.

On the plus side, I thought Sato showed a lot of promise.  I love that kid's game.  His on ball defense is already excellent.  And he sees the floor very well and plays with really good patience.  Burke is panicky.  Beal is panicky.  They make a lot of mistakes with the ball as a result.  Sato is confident and collected.  To the point where he almost looks like he's playing too slow.

Hopefully he continues his development on track and doesn't get demoralized or pick up bad habits or turn into a turd.  Thinking of Blatche...

• Like 1

Sato was great last night. Gortat was subpar. You are 7 feet tall and stronger than just about eveyone not named Dwight Howard, whiteside, Drummond, or Jordan, yet you are trying to tap the ball out. Be a man! Grab the boards! If we wanted a big to just tap the ball out to the guards we could have signed illyasova, vesely, or drew gooden. I mean, I am so tired of seeing weak layup put backs. So, so tired of it. 

Jason Smith shouldn't see the court for a few games. He looks broken. 

Edited by Skin'emAlive

The team was so much better with Sato controlling the ball than when Burks was the PG. Ernie ****s up a lot of stuff but he finally lucked into a good euro baller. Sato is the real deal which leads me to believe he'll be dealt away for someone who's 35-years old when Ernie desperately attempts to save his job. 

Edited by Taylor703

That is exactly what I'm expecting. Otto has arguably been our second best player so far this season ( with Morris a very close 3rd). He has hit just about every shot he's taken, played great defense, and has been great on the boards. The perimeter shot will come back. Of course when u have articles about how Porter is not expected to be resigned, I am legitimately scared that eg will flip him for an expiring vet. 

12 hours ago, Skin'emAlive said:

That is exactly what I'm expecting. Otto has arguably been our second best player so far this season ( with Morris a very close 3rd). He has hit just about every shot he's taken, played great defense, and has been great on the boards. The perimeter shot will come back. Of course when u have articles about how Porter is not expected to be resigned, I am legitimately scared that eg will flip him for an expiring vet. 

Well, that explains why Grunfield didn't extend him. Ernie would never reward someone actually playing well on the court. Probably could have locked up Otto at a reasonable price.

Sato has been the bright spot of the offseason.  He's confident with the ball and has then athleticism to adapt to the speed of the NBA game.  Once he's confident attempting to score, he's going to get a lot of minutes because of his size.  

Jason Smith on the other hand has yet to show he belongs in the NBA during his time with the Wizards.  Saying he's played poorly is an understatement.  I know he's a veteran, but he isn't playing like one.

Edited by Destino

4 hours ago, Burgold said:

Well, that explains why Grunfield didn't extend him. Ernie would never reward someone actually playing well on the court. Probably could have locked up Otto at a reasonable price.

The value of RFAs like Otto has been unpredictable.  I think you have to let the market determine their value if they don't agree to discount deals.  But there is no way Otto's agent would let him sign that kind of deal given Harrison Barnes's contract this summer.  Otto will want to test free agency, not sure Ernie could have signed Otto this summer without overpaying.

34 minutes ago, Destino said:

Jasin Smith on the other hand has yet to show he belongs in the NBA during his time with the Wizards.  Saying he's played poorly is an understatement.  I know he's a veteran, but he isn't playing like one.

Smith is painful to watch.  I don't even like trashing him he's been so bad.  I legitimately feel sorry for the guy.  It's similar to how I felt about Yi Jianlian.

I expected the bench to look bad early in the year.  They've been abominable.  Burke is far worse than I expected.  Oubre has been worse too, which is disappointing.  Hopefully Mahinmi gets back soon and Oubre and Burke bounce back because right now Nicholson, Sato, and Thornton have been our only playable depth.  Smith, Burke, and Oubre have been horrific.  Millstones dragging the whole team down.  Oubre's 4.2 PER would be depressing if not for Trey Burke's .2 PER.  Jason Smith's -7 PER is an inexplicable tragedy.  How can the metric even go that low?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, RonArtest15 said:

Lance Stephenson just got released today...he needs groin surgery, so who knows what his timetable for recovery is?  However, i'd sign this guy w/ the quickness when he's close to returning. 

I dunno if you guys really want Lance.  This is coming from someone who had Lance on their team.  While he was fine (attitude, etc.) in Charlotte, he wasn't very productive.  There is also a reason he is on his third team the past two seasons (Clippers and Griz in 2015-16 and Pelicans in 2016).  Not sure how he was after we didn't resign him, but he never contributed like we expected him to.