Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Why do people say d will can play defense? Every scout points to his classic tweener struggles on defense. Some have mentioned his light lower body as well resulting in him getting moved around by college bigs. Trade a center for a undersized PF in a weak draft class? No. He doesn't have AJ offensive game at this point and he's not projected to be a great defender.

Everyone is really quick to call an 240lb 6'9 PF undersized and tweener....but the league is made up of these guys at PF....sure there are guys that are bigger, but you aren't considering wingspan or just the style of play and how physical/hard he plays.

Yi is bigger than Booker....but who would you rather have playing PF for your team? Size isn't everything....Barkley was about 6'5 on a good day and he was a dominate hall of fame PF in the league.

Just because McGee is starting for the 20 something win Wizards doesn't mean he is a viable option to start for any playoff caliber team. Deshawn Stevenson starts for the Mavs and they are in the finals....you think they would pass up a chance to trade their starter for a draft pick (even in a weak draft)

This draft is not good. Trade no starter for picks!!! Build options for next season instead.

I say he is a good defender because I saw him play 4 or 5 games last year and he played well on defense in those games and actually won two of them down the stretch with huge defensive plays. Check out the Arizona vs. Washington game towards the end of the year. He actually does have a pretty impressive offensive game...he can score inside as well as outside. He is a very efficient long range shooter and finishes strong at the basket. Like Steve pointed out, he has the killer instinct...the "it" factor.

---------- Post added June-7th-2011 at 01:26 PM ----------

I'd probably throw in the 18th pick with McGee but no way do I give up the #6 pick AND McGee for #2.

you aren't getting #2 for #18 and McGee.

We're dealing with David Kahn here. He's not exactly the brightest of GM's.

Though, he did completely rob Ernie in the moronic Mike Miller trade. But it's David Kahn... he probably needs to protect himself from picking another PG.

Edited by No Excuses

We're dealing with David Kahn here. He's not exactly the brightest of GM's.

Though, he did completely rob Ernie in the moronic Mike Miller trade. But it's David Kahn... he probably needs to protect himself from picking another PG.

JaVale thinks he can play PG, maybe we can convince Kahn he's everything they want in one player? :whoknows:

I'm with BOAW. I wouldn't give up **** for #2, outside of someone with the initials A and B. I think people have started to go a bit overboard with D Williams. I've also cooled on Kanter a bit. Or maybe a lot. I think a lot of the excitement with him is/was built on mystery around him not playing last year. Almost the definition of hype.

I'm perfectly content staying at 6 and 18 and taking Vesely with the top pick.

I'm with BOAW. I wouldn't give up **** for #2, outside of someone with the initials A and B. I think people have started to go a bit overboard with D Williams. I've also cooled on Kanter a bit. Or maybe a lot. I think a lot of the excitement with him is/was built on mystery around him not playing last year. Almost the definition of hype.

I was always fearful of Kanter, and with the reports of new video of him playing soft I'm wondering if/how that will affect his draft status. I'm almost to the point where I'm willing to just sit at 6 and pray that whoever we draft is a sleeper. I thought that was Kawhi Leonard, but my doubts have increased since the hype faded a bit. What I can imagine is us getting 3 players who are decent guys all between 6-4 - 6-7 but providing no inside presence. That alone is why I'm more willing to take a chance on Kanter, but I don't want to lose McGee for it.

I'm starting to think Vesely is a fine woman...because GACOLB makes sweet love to (her) in this thread on a consistent basis.

I know we aren't going to take him at 6 and he wont be available at 18, but my man basketball man crush is Klay Thompson all the way....hoping we can package 18 and 34 to get him...if we can do that, I don't care what happens at 6....I'll be happy.

Best case scenario and most realistic is that Kanter scares the other teams off and we just take him straight up at 6....seems like that is becoming more and more realistic as time goes on.

Either Kanter or Bismack will be there at 6, I've always thought this the case. I'm not too worried about the workouts or the revelations of soft tape. DX has never liked Kanter and have had him consistently ranked behind the other Europeans, so them "suddenly" being down on him doesn't worry me all that much. He's not their guy. But if you watch what he did in the Hoops summit against some really good American players, you'll see what the fuss is about. Scoring comes very easily to him.

Look at that combination of strength and touch. He's a natural scorer, always in great position too. The defense will become passable once he gets on a team, buys into a system, and has his teammates pushing him. The scoring and rebounding is what you're looking for from him anyway.

I still like Kanter's potential better than probably everyone else in the class (except maybe DWill) provided health isn't an issue. He's a 7 footer with good athleticism, good strength, good offensive skills in the paint, high basketball IQ, and good range on his shot. That all adds up to a guy who'll eventually be a nightly 20-10 presence. I think DWill is the only other guy who reaches that plateau.

Another thing about Kanter is that he looks like he can add a lot of bulk too. He's already 260 pounds. 5.9% body fat? He's still a boy at that number. I think he hits 280+ comfortably by age 23 or so, sacrificing no quickness. He can play center. He's bigger and stronger than Dwight Howard was when he came into the league at about the same age. He's just not nearly as quick or high flying.

I'm eagerly anticipating the footage that DX is going to put together of Kanter from some of his HS games. I'm really high on the kid, but from what I'm hearing, the footage is VERY underwhelming.

Also, I think there's a bit of gamesmanship between Kanter's camp and the Wizards. Both are playing it like either side isn't too interested, but I don't think it's the case. Kanter WANTS to be here....but we also covet Derrick Williams.

thanks for posting that...I hadn't seen it. We have a winner and a class act to build around for the future. 3/4 of our pro sports teams have very bright futures....which the redskins would get hop on board.

---------- Post added June-8th-2011 at 10:37 AM ----------

I don't care about ancient footage. The guy is a SOLID big with post and midrange game. If he falls to us you take him, period.

definitely.....the risk is definitely worth the reward in this draft.

I don't care about ancient footage. The guy is a SOLID big with post and midrange game. If he falls to us you take him, period.

If he falls to #6, we definitely take him.

I'm just not interested in moving up to get him (or Williams).

---------- Post added June-8th-2011 at 02:49 PM ----------

Kawhi Leonard Impresses With Jump Shot During Washington Wizards Workout

I got a chance to head down to the Verizon Center today to watch Kawhi Leonard work out for the Washington Wizards. We only got a chance to see the tail end of the workout, so I can't tell you everything. Here's some video the Wizards recorded of a lot of the parts that the media didn't get to see (edit: this was all stuff media saw - my memory sucks).

Overall, I was impressed with the way Leonard's shot looked. Again, the caveat here is that we're talking about a small sample size, but Leonard was hitting many of his practice jumpers in both fast-break shooting drills and half-court drills where you're asked to hit seven foul-line jumpers. He hit four fast-break mid-range jumpers in a row, minutes after Flip Saunders joked that nobody in the group was doing it. He also did quite well in the foul-line drill. I really liked the way his shooting stroke looked - he jumped straight up, had great balance, took his shots at the highest point and did a really good job with his follow-through. The only thing is we didn't get to see him shooting three-pointers, which is the shot he absolutely has to master in this league.

The only other issue is that he was visibly exhausted at several points. After the fast-break shooting drill, he was crouching over with his hands on his knees and pacing around at different points to catch his breath. For what it's worth, this is only his second individual workout with a team (he was in Charlotte on Sunday), and Saunders is notorious for working players hard in his workouts. Leonard is hardly the only guy who has been visibly exhausted Saunders was through with him. We already noted how Jordan Hamilton was even more gassed than Leonard.

Leonard said this was "the hardest workout" he's had. He also said he has six more to go, so it's still early.

Leonard specifically mentioned how he needed to work on his "catch-and-shoot from the three." I really liked some of the answers he had about shooting in general, and I liked how he was very specific with the kind of shot he needs to develop.

Here's how he described that specific shot: " I'm just really working on, when the point guard's coming off the screen, when he penetrates and kicks out to me, I have to knock down that shot.

Also, in transition. Or, if a guy is playing off me, jabbing him off and then lifting up and raising for the three and hitting it consistently." Again, I like how specific he's being there, and while I need to see more results, it's made me feel better about him.

Leonard said that, specifically, he's working on making sure he holds his follow-through and gets good arc on his shot. Well, that and repetition and confidence, but those aren't things unique to him.

I asked him what kinds of shooting drills he does. Here, he said he works on everything (" One-dribble pull-ups, two-dribble pull-ups, curls, coming off some screens, pick and pop. I'm just doing it all"). He said he didn't have a specific number of shots he aims to make in a given day, saying it depends on the drills.

Finally, I asked him the key to being a good spot-up shooter: "I think it's just repetition and practicing it every day. Playing some three-on-three, and just emphasizing staying out on the wing and being ready for that kick-out shot that they give to you. When you're open, knock it down with confidence."

Otherwise, Leonard's words were fairly standard. He said he's not thinking about which team will pick him, and about the only other interesting nuggets came from when he was asked about working out with Hamilton, a former AAU teammate (more on that here from Craig Stouffer). The general consensus that I sensed at least was that Leonard outperformed Hamilton, and Chad Ford said beforehand that this was a "big workout" for Leonard and that the Wizards do like him.

http://www.bulletsforever.com/2011/6/7/2211824/kawhi-leonard-nba-draft-2011-washington-wizards-workout

Since there is so little actual film on Kanter (in a game situation), any footage is good footage. Trust me, I'm all for the guy....but I'm very curious to see what DX comes up with.

Injury keeps Selby on the sidelines for workout

Josh Selby had just completed his news conference following the Washington Wizards’ predraft workout this morning at Verizon Center when the former DeMatha player stopped briefly in the hallway, steps from a large picture of point guard John Wall wearing Washington’s new uniform.

“It’s good to be home,” Selby said.

At least he was in the vicinity. Selby is from Baltimore, but the 6-foot-2 guard spent plenty of time in the D.C. metropolitan area when he attended the Hyattsville school widely recognized for its prolific basketball program. Selby played two seasons with the Stags before leaving for Lake Clifton High in Baltimore for his senior year.

Selby was unable to participate in drills with other the invitees — center Brian Williams (Tennessee), forwards Denzell Bowles (James Madison), D’Mario Curry (Lincoln Memorial) and Delroy James (Rhode Island) and guard Cory Joseph (Texas) — because of a slight pull in his right quadriceps suffered during a workout yesterday for the Charlotte Bobcats. He said he was sitting out only today and that the ailment wouldn’t prevent him from future workouts.

“Very frustrating,” said Selby, who watched the proceedings from a folding chair on the auxiliary court. “I wanted to work out for the Wizards just because they’re so close to my home. I would love to come here, so it’s frustrating.”

Selby’s basketball career to this point has been exasperating at times too. He was placed on academic probation at DeMatha before transferring to Lake Clifton, and there was speculation his departure came perhaps with some acrimony.

When asked if he keeps in touch with other former Stags players such as Austin Freeman, the recently graduated Georgetown guard who worked out for the Wizards last week, Selby said: “To be honest, I haven’t talked with anyone from DeMatha for quite a bit because I changed my phone number.”

Selby had made a verbal commitment to Tennessee but withdrew that and wound up attending Kansas, where he had to sit out nine regular season games and pay $5,757.58 to a charity of his choice for accepting improper benefits prior to signing.

Selby had said prior to college he would be “one and done,” and he kept his word by declaring for the NBA draft after his freshman season. Selby played in 26 games for the Jayhawks, averaging 7.9 points, 2.2 rebounds and 2.2 assists per game. He scored a career-high 21 points in the first game, underscoring why he was selected preseason freshman of the year.

But he never quite settled in completely after that, and an ankle injury slowed his production considerably. Through his first 13 games, Selby averaged 12.3 points, but he never scored more than nine points during his final 13 games following the injury in February.

Kansas, meantime, advanced to the regional final, where it lost to upstart Virginia Commonwealth.

“Yeah, I’ve accepted it,” Selby said of his short time with one of the most storied programs in college basketball. “I’m not looking back, just looking forward. I don’t regret going there at all. Things happen for a reason, so I’m just trying to be strong and show everybody I’m still here.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wizards-insider/post/injury-keeps-selby-on-the-sidelines-for-workout/2011/06/06/AGNHmIKH_blog.html

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH

Selby is amazing to watch. Seems like he fell further this year than anyone else. I honestly wouldn't cry if we picked him at 18 but there are probably better options out there.

sounds like he has character issues...I wouldn't touch him

Thompson is very interesting but for a pure shooter, I wish his %s were a little higher. It looks like his shot selection could use work, and like Locke says, he really needs to develop a mid range game for the type of player he is.

---------- Post added June-8th-2011 at 12:57 PM ----------

Agreed. He seems an easy choice at 6 and I prefer him to Vesely and Bismack. I like Bismack as a consolation if Kanter goes before 6.

Seems like there is a good chance Kanter is available at 6. We know the first five picks will probably include DWill, Irving, and Knight. After that, people are high on Vesely, Valanciunas, and Bismack plus you've got Kemba probably going before 6 too.

Marcus (Mpls)

Do you think the TWolves will keep the 2nd pick or trade it?

Chad Ford (1:13 PM)

I think they trade. But they won't give the pick away. I think they're another possible destination for Monta Ellis. I think they're also intrigued if they could swap No. 2 for JaVale McGee.

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/38793

Adam (San Diego)

Chad, was wondering whether you heard anything regarding Kawhi Leonard's workout yesterday with the Wizards?

Chad Ford (1:24 PM)

He got great feedback from the Wizards. He's a very strong possibility at No. 6. So is Vesely if he's on the board. Valanciunas, Kanter also in the mix. I do think there's a chance of the Wizards moving up. The reports that they have been super active about it are bogus, but there are some in Washington that want to totally remake the roster around Wall. If they're are willing to move McGee (a big if) ... they could get into the Top 2.

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH

Trading McGee would be contradictory to building around Wall though, as he's a super athletic big who can benefit a lot from Wall's exceptional passing. We do need more shooters though.

or it means the front office feels McGee won't improve much from his current level

But you want Klay Thompson. He has a weed arrest on his record....as of a few months ago.

that was one isolated incident that he manned up about....he didn't make any excuses and I like how he handled the situation. Josh shelby, on the other hand, has a long list of things that point to character issues....missing team dinners/practices, academic ineligibility in high school, 9 game suspension in college for accepting benefits etc.....it just seems like decision after decision is poor.

---------- Post added June-8th-2011 at 01:46 PM ----------

or it means the front office feels McGee won't improve much from his current level

ding ding ding.....McGee plays with the IQ of a sack of bricks....he makes the dumbest damn decisions on the court and hasn't seemed to improve in that aspect over the past few years. I'm not buying the reports that we could swap McGee for #2.....but if in fact the Twolves continue to make stupid moves and did that.....as someone else pointed out.....we could have Dwill at #2 and grab Bismack (for defense) at #6....that would be perfect.