Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

If we take a PG I'd be ok with Charles Jenkins at 34 watched him all year at Hofstra when he played against the CAA schools and he was flat out dominant

I don't think Jenkins will be there @ #34. He's a flat out BEAST.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know the average age on the rosters of the past 5-7 NBA championship teams?

Reason I ask...and trust me, I know we are a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG way from competing for a championship (need to make the playoffs first LOL), but it seems like these teams are really veteran laden. I know we're on board w. the youth movement here in DC...but in looking at the big picture, we need some vets on the team who can contribute. I guess we rebuild by getting rid of bad contracts and having youth on the roster, THEN slowly sprinkle in the vets to make the team a little more complete.

For the Wizards, what do they need to do (free agent wise) to get to 30 wins? Baby steps....

I don't think Jenkins will be there @ #34. He's a flat out BEAST.

Tough to call with Jenkins most mocks have him going in the late 1st round around the 30th pick. I could see him slipping down to pick 34 and it would provide a nice option to our team if we do go draft him. Him and Nolan Smith would both be good options at 34 if available

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/post/flip-saunders-says-wizards-are-ready-to-make-a-big-jump/2011/06/13/AG3FE9SH_blog.html

Remember how LeBron James cautioned the haters that they were gonna have to get back to the real world eventually? For me, that came in the form of listening to Vinny Cerrato interview Flip Saunders on Baltimore’s 105.7 The Fan.

I was mostly just listening out of morbid curiosity, in case Vinny said anything like this, which he eventually said: “Trying to build through the draft, that’s the way it looks like you guys are trying to do...is that kind of the philosophy?”

(Note: He did not follow that up by maniacally laughing at the prospect of a D.C. franchise attempting to build through the draft.)

But as long as I listened, I will provide five highlights.

1) Saunders said John Wall has been working out in Verizon Center for three or fours a day over the last several weeks.

“His shot is almost 100 percent better than what it was about a year ago,” Saunders said. “I think he’s gonna made a huge stride from where he was last year to this coming year.”

compare this to the biyombo video. Dude is legit. Won't be a star, but he DEEEFENDS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BA1GYjD1yHo

I'm not sure he won't be a star. A lot of players have been able to improve their shooting over the years. Few have gone from shooters to having the ability to really attack the rim. Leonard can attack the basket now and is clearly a player that believes in working on the weak parts of your game until they turn into a strength. When faced with the criticism that he can't shoot he has been busting his ass to develop a NBA caliber midrange game. When told his handles aren't good enough he's out there working to improve his moves. There is a difference between professional athletes and athletes. Pro's work constantly to improve their game and this kid didn't need to do a thing to get drafted... he appears to be doing it because he wants to be drafted higher and he clearly dislikes being compared to Gerald Wallace. lol

I can see him being a Caron Butler.

Edited by Destino

You can do a lot of stuff with Jason Kidd because he is Jason Kidd. He's become a deadly three point shooter. He's always had a great post game. He is still remarkably good at creating a decent shot when the shot clock is expiring. Basically, the Mavs can let Barea do Barea stuff for 12 seconds and then run a real offense for 12 seconds, because Kidd is still Kidd. Asking a 20 year old Wall and a rookie to do that seems to be a reach.

I'm not sure he won't be a star.

Butler/Wallace/ Marion without a goofy j. My favorite attribute of his is his motor and his ability to guard multiple positions.

---------- Post added June-13th-2011 at 02:29 PM ----------

You can do a lot of stuff with Jason Kidd because he is Jason Kidd. He's become a deadly three point shooter. He's always had a great post game. He is still remarkably good at creating a decent shot when the shot clock is expiring. Basically' date=' the Mavs can let Barea do Barea stuff for 12 seconds and then run a real offense for 12 seconds, because Kidd is still Kidd. Asking a 20 year old Wall and a rookie to do that seems to be a reach.[/quote']

Agreed. The Mavs are an anomaly due to the fact that their PG's aren't really traditional PG's. At this point in his career, Jkidd really is used for his 3point shooting and defense. During the stretch of these games, he wasn't even taking the ball up the floor. Barea and Terry also aren't prototype PG's. The mavs works because of the personnel they have and it just so happens this kind of lineup is lethal. Wall is your prototype defensive, facilitator. Floor spacing would be horrible with him and Kemba Walker or another PG, due to a lack of a consistent shot.

I'm not sure he won't be a star. A lot of players have been able to improve their shooting over the years. Few have gone from shooters to having the ability to really attack the rim. Leonard can attack the basket now and is clearly a player that believes in working on the weak parts of your game until they turn into a strength. When faced with the criticism that he can't shoot he has been busting his ass to develop a NBA caliber midrange game. When told his handles aren't good enough he's out there working to improve his moves. There is a difference between professional athletes and athletes. Pro's work constantly to improve their game and this kid didn't need to do a thing to get drafted... he appears to be doing it because he wants to be drafted higher and he clearly dislikes being compared to Gerald Wallace. lol

Wings are a dime a dozen, I want to get a good big from this class.

What do you think about Kawhi Leonard's talk that he wants to be a 2 guard? Seems pretty unrealistic to me but it's interesting nonetheless.

---------- Post added June-13th-2011 at 03:44 PM ----------

Kemba Walker isn't a PG. He's a 6'0 2 guard that handles well enough to create his own shots but not really facilitate. You can probably say the same thing about Brandon Knight.

We've already got two good PGs, I don't see why we'd need another one. Crawford and Wall are both well above average ball handlers and passers and between them you've got about 15 APG from your guards. Makes more sense to work on their catch and shoot ability than go out and get yet another PG. The rest of the team needs to improve their passing skills and ball movement too.

I think with the talk of a PG steve is more at the fact Crawford could be a stud 2 guard coming off the bench with a good PG like Nolan Smith or Charles Jenkins. Having Jenkins would allow a lot of flexibility in that both him and Crawford could bring the ball up and rotate.

---------- Post added June-13th-2011 at 03:51 PM ----------

Also a nice video here of Marshon Brooks at a workout. Guy has a nice outside game no doubt

Also here is some footage of Kanter at stoneridge prep

Edited by Dukes and Skins

I think with the talk of a PG steve is more at the fact Crawford could be a stud 2 guard coming off the bench with a good PG like Nolan Smith or Charles Jenkins. Having Jenkins would allow a lot of flexibility in that both him and Crawford could bring the ball up and rotate.

---------- Post added June-13th-2011 at 03:51 PM ----------

Also a nice video here of Marshon Brooks at a workout. Guy has a nice outside game no doubt

Also here is some footage of Kanter at stoneridge prep

Crawford can play both the 1 or the 2, but I like him much better as a 1. He is great at creating for others and himself and he is most effective scoring off the dribble creating for himself. He looked great against the Cavs late in the season when Wall was suspended.....got a triple double that game as the starting PG.

So what's the consensus at this point in a choice between either Jan Vesely or Enes Kanter at 6?

Who are you most hoping is available (that's even remotely realistic, don't say DWill or Irving) at 6?

Who would you choose if both Kanter and Vesely are available?

Building upon that, who are you all most hoping falls to us at 18?

If we stay put where we are, I love a class like this:

6 - Kanter/Vesely

18 - Bismack

---------- Post added June-14th-2011 at 10:27 AM ----------

Would you all take a shot at Jonas Valanciunas at 18?

So what's the consensus at this point in a choice between either Jan Vesely or Enes Kanter at 6?

Who are you most hoping is available (that's even remotely realistic, don't say DWill or Irving) at 6?

Who would you choose if both Kanter and Vesely are available?

Building upon that, who are you all most hoping falls to us at 18?

If we stay put where we are, I love a class like this:

6 - Kanter/Vesely

18 - Bismack

---------- Post added June-14th-2011 at 10:27 AM ----------

Would you all take a shot at Jonas Valanciunas at 18?

My choices for # 6 are in no particular order:

1.) Vesely

2.)Leonard

3.)Kanter

And as for Jonas, there's absolutely no way he makes it to 18.

My choices for # 6 are in no particular order:

1.) Vesely

2.)Leonard

3.)Kanter

And as for Jonas, there's absolutely no way he makes it to 18.

I wouldn't say that. Apparently he's got some pretty big contract issues that could keep him out of the league for a few seasons. I think teams might be scared off after the Rubio debacle.

Wouldn't matter as much for us though because we can probably afford to wait for him given our window.

In general I like the idea of drafting Europeans under contract with other clubs for this upcoming season. Who knows how long this lockout is going to last? It makes sense for us to take guys who'll still get to play highly competitive basketball next season.

Enes Kanter to work out for Wizards

The Wizards have a workout scheduled with Turkish big man Enes Kanter on Friday in Chicago, which is significant because Kanter’s agent, Max Ergul, has already stated that he doesn’t expect his client to be around for the sixth pick that Washington currently holds.

During the NBA combine in Chicago last month, Kanter expressed his desire to play for the Wizards and possibly team with his “good friend” John Wall. The Wizards interviewed the 6-foot-11 Kanter in Chicago but had been hoping to arrange another meeting with him before the June 23 draft in Newark.

The 19-year-old Kanter missed all of last season at Kentucky because of violating NCAA eligibility rules and is projected to go anywhere from second to sixth. He has already worked out for Cleveland, Minnesota, Utah and Toronto. Ergul said the two sides agreed to meet before a Wizards contingent went to Treviso, Italy, over the weekend to scout international players at the Adidas Eurocamp.

“I think they know he’s not going to be there. They need to move up,” Ergul said of the Wizards. “It’s my job to make my kid available and accessible to very good franchises with new ownership and a good front office trying to do a job for the fans. It’s my job to help their cause. They want to get to know the kid a little bit more, so they can go back and make some major decisions if they need to.”

The Wizards will host another workout at Verizon Center on Tuesday, when they welcome Florida State forward Chris Singleton, Kansas forward Marcus Morris, Tennessee forward Tobias Harris, UCLA forward Tyler Honeycutt, Purdue guard E’Twaun Moore and UTEP guard Julyan Stone.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wizards-insider/post/enes-kanter-to-work-out-for-wizards/2011/06/13/AGIpBeTH_blog.html

Sounds like Kanter's agent is concerned that he'll be there at #6.

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH

I think either Kanter or Vesely will be there at 6 and I'd be fine with either. It's probably a bit more likely that Kanter will be there since he's got so little film to watch and poses much more of a risk.

I also think there is a chance that a really good Euroleaguer will be the BPA at both 18 and 34 unless more of the fringe first rounders like Noguiera dropped out.

I don't know enough about Vesely but what I've heard is he's one of these guys that people fall in love with his athleticism and that scares the crap out of me. He's a 6'11 SF (note, not a PF) that lacks the strength to play in the post against NBA big men and the handles to create his own shot if he gets the ball on the perimeter. I've heard he can't hit free throws either.

So what am I missing. Educate me.

I don't know enough about Vesely but what I've heard is he's one of these guys that people fall in love with his athleticism and that scares the crap out of me. He's a 6'11 SF (note, not a PF) that lacks the strength to play in the post against NBA big men and the handles to create his own shot if he gets the ball on the perimeter. I've heard he can't hit free throws either.

So what am I missing. Educate me.

and he doesn't rebound

the best thing i've read about him is that he's an "nba" athlete. I'm trying to sell myself on the guy because I think we're going to end up picking him, but I'm just getting the bust feeling on that dude

Which of the top foreign players is currently under contract with another European team?

Kanter obviously isn't. As far as I can tell, neither is Bismack. It looks like Noguiera opted out of the draft to keep playing in Spain.

Valanciunas definitely is and apparently he's got multiple years left on his contract and has an expensive buy out.

Does anyone know what the contract situations for Vesely, Montiejunas, Mirotic, Bertans, and Bogdanovich are like? I've heard talk that both Bertans and Mirotic would/have withdrawn from the draft to continue playing in Europe for at least another year to try and improve their stock.

Here's the disclaimer that doesn't get mentioned nearly enough: The executives themselves won't solidify their short-list opinions until the final week, if not days, before the draft. As a result, it's a toss-up whether the Wizards would opt for Vesely or Valanciunas. I'm opting for Valanciunas simply because I was told weeks ago that he was above Vesely on the Wizards' board. Sources say Washington is also very high on San Diego State small forward Kawhi Leonard.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/sam_amick/06/14/mock.draft.3/index.html#ixzz1PILLOhc8