Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Dwight Howard is rumored to be on the verge of signing a two-year extension.

Hmm. I wonder why such a short extension? Is this to weather the lockout situation? Can someone fill me in on the details and implications of doing this? Is it so Orlando can trade him or is this more common than I think?

Hmm. I wonder why such a short extension? Is this to weather the lockout situation? Can someone fill me in on the details and implications of doing this? Is it so Orlando can trade him or is this more common than I think?

A 2 year extension is the maximum allowable by the current CBA at this point in Dwight's contract. (It means 4 more years under contract). If he were to wait until next league year to sign, it would be a 3 year extension, but the CBA will expire by then.

I doubt it happens then. Apparently Dwight couched his desire to stay in Orlando by saying he would need support from the city (uh oh, that sounds contentious) and the right mix of players around him.

That means nothing--and everything--to me. I don't think he signs that extension except as part of a sign and trade (kind of like Carmelo). Otis Smith screwed Orlando's ability to keep Dwight with reckless spending and Jameer Nelson is definitely not enough of a draw to keep him coming back. I think it's more a question of when, where, and how he gets moved/leaves rather than if at this point. Does he get traded after the next CBA is negotiated or does he walk in FA? Which team gets him?

If I'm him I control my destiny and walk in FA and pick the Knicks, Bulls, or Hornets (if Chris Paul stays). Maybe even Warriors. If I get traded, then I hope it's to the Wizards since we're about the only team who might have tradeable assets that has an elite PG. The Lakers wouldn't interest me as is, they'd need to get rid of Bynum and Gasol get a PG first. But other than that, the teams I named are more attractive destinations than staying in Orlando.

---------- Post added June-1st-2011 at 10:02 AM ----------

What would you all say about getting Greg Oden? He'd probably be dirt cheap at this point. What if we don't have to give up anyone in our top 7 or 8 to do it?

Hopefully he doesn't end up on a team like Miami or New York and ends up waking up for them.

Dwight Howard is rumored to be on the verge of signing a two-year extension.

Good, I'd hate to see him go the Lakers

I dont understand it either. we all know the cap is gonna get lowered and teams are gonna have to pay players with less money.

And Good. Salaries have skyrocketed up to the 30 million range. No human being needs to be paid that for playing a freaking game. I don't care if it's entertainment or not.

As far as Greg Oden......YES!!!

Low-risk, HIGH reward.....he's had injury problems (as we all know), but there may be a day where he overcomes his "bad luck." I would love for that to be here in DC. Dude is an absolute defensive presence and would help our woes in the middle. He's young and I still think he has plenty of upside. I look at a guy like Big Z who had just as many injuries/surgeries when he was younger only to turn it around (and be healthy) later on in his career. Hopefully, EG makes a move for him.

Low-risk, HIGH reward.....he's had injury problems (as we all know), but there may be a day where he overcomes his "bad luck." I would love for that to be here in DC. Dude is an absolute defensive presence and would help our woes in the middle. He's young and I still think he has plenty of upside. I look at a guy like Big Z who had just as many injuries/surgeries when he was younger only to turn it around (and be healthy) later on in his career. Hopefully, EG makes a move for him.

That would be fine, but you hope he doesn't become the next Sam Bowie.

I doubt it happens then. Apparently Dwight couched his desire to stay in Orlando by saying he would need support from the city (uh oh, that sounds contentious) and the right mix of players around him.

actually Dwight just said yesterday that he wants to stay in Orlando. I wouldn't be surprised if his agent was egging him on to sign the extension....he may make more in those two years of extended contract than he would in 4 years of a contract w/ the new CBA.

If he doesn't sign the extension, that likely means he is on his way out

If I'm him I control my destiny and walk in FA and pick the Knicks, Bulls, or Hornets (if Chris Paul stays).

I don't think NO is much of a draw...I see Paul leaving. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Lakers pretty much purge their roster and make a run for Chris Paul/Dwight Howard in either trade or FA moves.

Knicks wont have the cap space; Bulls is a possibility although they would likely have to trade someone to fit him under the cap.

Maybe even Warriors. If I get traded, then I hope it's to the Wizards since we're about the only team who might have tradeable assets that has an elite PG.

why in the world would he want to go to the warriors and who are these tradable assets on the Wizards you speak of?

The Lakers wouldn't interest me as is, they'd need to get rid of Bynum and Gasol get a PG first. But other than that, the teams I named are more attractive destinations than staying in Orlando.

You are missing the obvious one.....Boston. Large market and storied franchise, elite PG, Wing scorer. KG and Ray Allen come off the books in 2012, so if Dwight was a free agent, Boston would be an attractive option.

What would you all say about getting Greg Oden?

NO way.....Oden has played 82 games in three years...that is pretty terrible...and the games he did play in, he wasn't even a world beater. I have a friend who is a huge fan Blazers fan, and he is convinced the Blazers will offer Oden the 8.7 million dollar qualifying offer...even if they don't, there will be a stupid enough GM out there to give an often injured center a 9 million dollar deal...hoping that isn't us.

He'd probably be dirt cheap at this point.

nah...he'll get that 9 million from someone

Hopefully he doesn't end up on a team like Miami or New York and ends up waking up for them.

neither of these teams will have the cap room to sign him

---------- Post added June-1st-2011 at 11:09 AM ----------

so you are willing to tie our cap up in a guy who has never played more than 60 games in an NBA season and missed all of last year? I could see taking that gamble if he was a top 3 center in the league...but the guy has zero offensive game and isn't likely to ever stay healthy for any long period of time.

Brave...I have NO issue w. going after Oden if we can get him cheaply. By cheaply, I mean anything under or around 5 mil (2/10 or 1/5). It's a gamble that I wouldn't mind this team taking. He's only 23, and he's VERY good defensively. I could care less about what he does on offense. Of course the injury issues are a concern, but he's young (supposedly LOL). Shoot, if guys like Grant Hill and Big Z can overcome injuries and have good health...why can't Oden? I think a lot of teams probably look at him as a low-risk, high reward type of player at this point.

Brave...I have NO issue w. going after Oden if we can get him cheaply. By cheaply, I mean anything under or around 5 mil (2/10 or 1/5). It's a gamble that I wouldn't mind this team taking. He's only 23, and he's VERY good defensively. I could care less about what he does on offense. Of course the injury issues are a concern, but he's young (supposedly LOL). Shoot, if guys like Grant Hill and Big Z can overcome injuries and have good health...why can't Oden? I think a lot of teams probably look at him as a low-risk, high reward type of player at this point.

I wouldn't mind going after Oden either. Low risk, potentially high reward signing.

I'd be surprised to see Oden get so much money after having accomplished so little in the league. Injuries make him way too risky to pay ~ 9-10 million a year. I also think a change of scenery would suit him.

Injuries are a problem for bigs, but then again, I never would have thought Amare Stoudemire could have come back from microfracture surgery and be even better. Then again, there's also the case of Yao Ming. I think it could go either way.

The thing keep in mind about the Knicks as pertains to their ability to sign FAs like Paul/Williams/Howard or even Oden is that they are perfectly willing to pay the luxury tax. Not only that, they've got a big contract in Chauncey Billups that'll end soon. Let's not write them off prematurely from getting another big FA because there is no way they are going to rest with just a big 2 while Miami has a big 3. If the Blazers let Oden go, I could definitely see the Knicks ending up with both Deron Williams and Greg Oden somehow and that's a team I want no part of.

---------- Post added June-1st-2011 at 12:45 PM ----------

actually Dwight just said yesterday that he wants to stay in Orlando. I wouldn't be surprised if his agent was egging him on to sign the extension....he may make more in those two years of extended contract than he would in 4 years of a contract w/ the new CBA.

If he doesn't sign the extension, that likely means he is on his way out

Did you see what else he said though? On ESPN they said he apparently added some pretty interesting qualifiers to the end of his statement about needing support from the city and needing a better supporting cast.

The reality of the situation is that Orlando has no way to improve. They can't draft high, they have no desirable trade assets save Howard himself, and they have a bunch of awful contracts that eat up all their cap space. They can't work around Arenas's and Turkoglu's deals and Otis Smith is a moron for acquiring them. The Allen Houston rule is the only thing that can save them and there is no flipping way teams like the Celtics, Bulls, and Thunder are going to grant such a huge competitive advantage to the Lakers and the Magic by letting them out of the Artest and Arenas deals.

Orlando can't keep Howard because they can't make their roster attractive to him. Maybe they can find a lucky mix of low key FAs like the Mavericks did but it seems that can only take you so far.

I think it's almost a foregone conclusion that Dwight moves on and if his goal is to win championships, he absolutely should.

I don't think NO is much of a draw...I see Paul leaving. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Lakers pretty much purge their roster and make a run for Chris Paul/Dwight Howard in either trade or FA moves.
NO has a better shot at keeping Paul than Orlando has of keeping Howard IMO because of the differing cap situations. It's still going to be a bit tough for the Lakers to make room for both Howard and Paul. First off, can they trade Kobe Bryant? Realistically, no. Second, that stupid Artest deal is going to get in the way. Third, Bynum, Gasol, and Odom all have to go to accommodate Howard and his salary and they'll probably have to take pennies on the dollar in return for them. It might make more sense to just build around Bynum plus a young point and another wing as Kobe declines. Ricky Rubio maybe?
Knicks wont have the cap space; Bulls is a possibility although they would likely have to trade someone to fit him under the cap.
I wouldn't count out New York's willingness to pay exorbitant luxury fees. The Bulls make sense but they are going to have to trade a lot of their attractive core to move Boozer's crappy deal like Taj Gibson and probably Noah since you don't really want to keep him on the bench. They're actually probably better off searching for a star wing player and keeping their current rotation of bigs. Imagine if they could swing a deal somehow for Tyreke Evans? What about testing the water on Igoudala or Evan Turner? Brandon Roy?
why in the world would he want to go to the warriors and who are these tradable assets on the Wizards you speak of?
Think about Dwight Howard in that Golden State system. He'd be even more of a monster than he is now. Plus GS has some tradeable assets like Udoh, Wright, Biedrins, and maybe even one of either Curry or Ellis. Trade Ellis, Udoh, and Biedrins, plus Radmonovic's contract is coming off the books. I think you could probably build a pretty potent group around Curry, Howard, Wright, and Lee and at least Orlando gets someone like Ellis in return. If I'm a PG willing to take a pay cut because I'm looking to join a contender, I would love going to GS and playing with those four.

As far as the Wizards go, we've got a lot of young players on reasonable deals, plus we'll have another high lottery pick to add into the mix by the end of the draft. I'd rather not gut the roster to get Howard, but I also wouldn't rule anything out. If I'm Orlando and I know I can't keep Howard and am in danger of having him walk for nothing and leaving me with a bottom feeder roster, wouldn't I field offers from the Wizards? I'd prefer that offer from GS, but if there aren't a whole lot of teams out there that can come up with the right mix for Howard.

You are missing the obvious one.....Boston. Large market and storied franchise, elite PG, Wing scorer. KG and Ray Allen come off the books in 2012, so if Dwight was a free agent, Boston would be an attractive option.
Boston does make sense and could actually be a front runner for him. I think they have a better chance of getting him than Orlando does keeping him. Rondo + Green + Howard is a great core and Howard brings the defensive gravitas Boston has become known for. I like either New York or Boston as his best options even though you're talking about two very different systems.

I also wouldn't rule out the Nets either. They've got that awful Travis Outlaw contract to work around but it doesn't totally submarine their chances either.

---------- Post added June-1st-2011 at 12:57 PM ----------

Is Dwight Howard a more desirable free agent than LeBron was?

---------- Post added June-1st-2011 at 01:00 PM ----------

[Otis] Smith faces a herculean task. He has indicated that he will not consider trading his five-time All-Star center. A bold move indeed. If he sticks to his plan, Orlando faces two very different possibilities: 1) The roster will be revamped to the extent that Howard feels like he can win a championship where he is; an extension is signed 2) Howard signs with another team in free agency, allowing Orlando to suffer a Cleveland-like fate.

If Smith fails - if he fails to get Howard enough help - it would behoove him to go against his word and make a trade. If he still refuses to trade the Atlanta native, Smith risks the possibility of having his intransigence leave this franchise in the cellar of the Eastern Conference for multiple years in the future.

Of course, all of this speculation can be avoided if Howard starts his "own path" in Orlando. Howard's words may seem candid, but didn't we hear similar words from a certain twenty-six year-old superstar who decided to take his talents to South Beach? The allure of the path to a championship in LA will prove to be too much for the Hollywood personality of Dwight Howard to deny. Enjoy him while you can, Orlando.

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/27159362/29695221

---------- Post added June-1st-2011 at 01:07 PM ----------

Orlando simply can't revamp their roster because nobody wants what they've got outside of Howard. What they've got are crap deals for Arenas, Turkoglu, Nelson, and Reddick and the only relief is that Jason Richardson's deal is coming off the books. Then again, knowing Otis Smith he'll probably re-up him for 5 more years. They have no tradeable assets whatsoever outside Ryan Anderson and maaaybe Brandon Bass but you need to keep guys like Ryan Anderson to be competitive even after you acquire a second, expensive All Star.

Orlando is screwed unless Dwight Howard wants to make himself a basketball martyr.

Edited by stevemcqueen1

The thing keep in mind about the Knicks as pertains to their ability to sign FAs like Paul/Williams/Howard or even Oden is that they are perfectly willing to pay the luxury tax. Not only that, they've got a big contract in Chauncey Billups that'll end soon. Let's not write them off prematurely from getting another big FA because there is no way they are going to rest with just a big 2 while Miami has a big 3. If the Blazers let Oden go, I could definitely see the Knicks ending up with both Deron Williams and Greg Oden somehow and that's a team I want no part of.

There will be no luxury tax moving on...we are going to have a hard cap in basketball.

Did you see what else he said though? On ESPN they said he apparently added some pretty interesting qualifiers to the end of his statement about needing support from the city and needing a better supporting cast.

they added, or he added?

The reality of the situation is that Orlando has no way to improve. They can't draft high, they have no desirable trade assets save Howard himself, and they have a bunch of awful contracts that eat up all their cap space. They can't work around Arenas's and Turkoglu's deals and Otis Smith is a moron for acquiring them.

couldn't agree more

The Allen Houston rule is the only thing that can save them and there is no flipping way teams like the Celtics, Bulls, and Thunder are going to grant such a huge competitive advantage to the Lakers and the Magic by letting them out of the Artest and Arenas deals.

isn't up to the Celtics, Bulls, and Thunder....it will be a collective bargaining agreement between the owners/players/league. Going to a hard cap...you better believe there will be some sort of Allen Houston amnesty rule.

Orlando can't keep Howard because they can't make their roster attractive to him. Maybe they can find a lucky mix of low key FAs like the Mavericks did but it seems that can only take you so far.

Maybe Howard thinks they can win with what they have....I dunno...I was kind of shocked to hear him say he wanted to stay there....I figured he would get traded this offseason after informing management he had no intention to resign there.

what we must remember though....what people say and what they will really do can be completely different. I, like you.....think he will be in a different uniform when 2012 rolls around.

I think it's almost a foregone conclusion that Dwight moves on and if his goal is to win championships, he absolutely should.

he really should...I just hope it isn't to the Lakers

NO has a better shot at keeping Paul than Orlando has of keeping Howard IMO because of the differing cap situations.

I disagree...I think Howard is more of a loyal guy than Paul...more likely to stay with a team for his whole career rather than bounce around....Chris Paul is as good as gone.

It's still going to be a bit tough for the Lakers to make room for both Howard and Paul. First off, can they trade Kobe Bryant?

I wasn't thinking trade kobe...but they actually could in a heartbeat....there are plenty of teams that would do it just to sell tickets. I was thinking more on the lines of trading both Gasol and Bynum and for penny's on the dollar with the condition that the recipient take a bad contract like Artest as well.

not saying this would ever happen...but can you imagine if LA was trying to dump their team to get Paul/Howard in 2012 and traded us Kobe for Nick Young and Rashard's expiring...that would be the most unrealistic thing to ever happen....would be fun to watch Kobe and Wall though.

Realistically, no. Second, that stupid Artest deal is going to get in the way. Third, Bynum, Gasol, and Odom all have to go to accommodate Howard and his salary and they'll probably have to take pennies on the dollar in return for them.

funny I actually responded w/ my pennies on the dollar response above before reading this....scary.

It might make more sense to just build around Bynum plus a young point and another wing as Kobe declines. Ricky Rubio maybe?

I agree...was just throwing out scenarios.

I wouldn't count out New York's willingness to pay exorbitant luxury fees.

see above....luxury tax - soft cap is going away...guaranteed

The Bulls make sense but they are going to have to trade a lot of their attractive core to move Boozer's crappy deal like Taj Gibson and probably Noah since you don't really want to keep him on the bench.

If Orlando knew that Dwight was gonna leave, they would probably consider Boozer/Noah for Howard (consider being the key word)

They're actually probably better off searching for a star wing player and keeping their current rotation of bigs. Imagine if they could swing a deal somehow for Tyreke Evans? What about testing the water on Igoudala or Evan Turner? Brandon Roy?

agree....I don't necessarily agree with the players you've listed...I was thinking more on the lines of Nick Young or Marcus Thorton...either way....they need a scoring two guard

Think about Dwight Howard in that Golden State system. He'd be even more of a monster than he is now. Plus GS has some tradeable assets like Udoh, Wright, Biedrins, and maybe even one of either Curry or Ellis. Trade Ellis, Udoh, and Biedrins, plus Radmonovic's contract is coming off the books. I think you could probably build a pretty potent group around Curry, Howard, Wright, and Lee and at least Orlando gets someone like Ellis in return. If I'm a PG willing to take a pay cut because I'm looking to join a contender, I would love going to GS and playing with those four.

no one wants to play in Golden state dude....he isn't going there....If he leaves Orlando It will be for one of the large market teams.

As far as the Wizards go, we've got a lot of young players on reasonable deals, plus we'll have another high lottery pick to add into the mix by the end of the draft. I'd rather not gut the roster to get Howard, but I also wouldn't rule anything out. If I'm Orlando and I know I can't keep Howard and am in danger of having him walk for nothing and leaving me with a bottom feeder roster, wouldn't I field offers from the Wizards? I'd prefer that offer from GS, but if there aren't a whole lot of teams out there that can come up with the right mix for Howard.

we wouldn't have enough ammunition to get Howard if we traded our whole roster and all our draft picks (excluding Wall)....I think you over value our "assets"

Is Dwight Howard a more desirable free agent than LeBron was?

no way....but probably second to LeBron since Shaq/Jordan

The reality of the situation is that Orlando has no way to improve. They can't draft high, they have no desirable trade assets save Howard himself, and they have a bunch of awful contracts that eat up all their cap space. They can't work around Arenas's and Turkoglu's deals and Otis Smith is a moron for acquiring them. .

Fwiw, scuttlebutt out Orlando is that Gil will probably opt out of his deal after next season and be resigned at a more favorable salary. I've heard rumors that this was discussed when the trade was initially made.

Fwiw, scuttlebutt out Orlando is that Gil will probably opt out of his deal after next season and be resigned at a more favorable salary. I've heard rumors that this was discussed when the trade was initially made.

Why would he do that? To try and get another player in order to contend? He can't take but so much of a paycut for them and I'd be very interested to see what kind of numbers they're throwing around. If it's less than 10 million per year then I'd be pretty surprised at Arenas to walk away from that kind of money. He's a strange guy but not that strange...

And Arenas opting out and taking less money still doesn't help them with all of Orlando's other bad cotnracts because Reddick, Nelson, and Turkoglu all have 3+ years on their deals and each make far too much money for what they bring to the table.

I just don't think Orlando will be able to make room for another max type deal.

I also don't think the Allen Houston rule is going to happen. They've been talking about it for years and the need for it has almost completely evaporated since teams are so much more fiscally responsible now than they used to be. If you instate the rule in 2005 then half the league probably takes advantage of it. Implement it now and the only teams it really helps are the Lakers (Artest), Magic (take your pick but Arenas is probably the one), and to a lesser extent the Nets (Outlaw). The Rashard Lewis contract is the only other one out there I can find but it hardly effects our long term plans since we're rebuilding anyway.

There's no demand for the rule change any more outside the 3 or 4 reckless franchises that need it to cleanse their rosters and that's not going to get it done.

I also don't think the Allen Houston rule is going to happen. They've been talking about it for years and the need for it has almost completely evaporated since teams are so much more fiscally responsible now than they used to be. If you instate the rule in 2005 then half the league probably takes advantage of it. Implement it now and the only teams it really helps are the Lakers (Artest), Magic (take your pick but Arenas is probably the one), and to a lesser extent the Nets (Outlaw). The Rashard Lewis contract is the only other one out there I can find but it hardly effects our long term plans since we're rebuilding anyway.

There's no demand for the rule change any more outside the 3 or 4 reckless franchises that need it to cleanse their rosters and that's not going to get it done.

It is going to piss me off if it does happen for the same reasons you state. Most of the NBA has been signing relatively smart contracts over the last few years, although every year, there seems to be at least one WTF contract that seems to come out of nowhere. I am not a fan of punishing those that have been operating intelligently to bailout the few that haven't. It is not fair to the teams that are trying to do things the right way. If you sign a player to a terrible contract, tough. Nobody made you do it. Pay the man or try and trade him.

It is going to piss me off if it does happen for the same reasons you state. Most of the NBA has been signing relatively smart contracts over the last few years, although every year, there seems to be at least one WTF contract that seems to come out of nowhere. I am not a fan of punishing those that have been operating intelligently to bailout the few that haven't. It is not fair to the teams that are trying to do things the right way. If you sign a player to a terrible contract, tough. Nobody made you do it. Pay the man or try and trade him.

Exactly. Incompetent GMs shouldn't be rewarded with a rule change.

Let the incompetent GMs weed themselves out, that's better for the long term health of the league anyway.

Two things about the Alan Houston rule and similar:

1 - Something needs to exist for players that become uncooperative, lazy, or get into serious trouble. Right now the current state of the league is once a player is signed he can do whatever he wants. He can tell your coach to F off, phone it in on the court, and get into legal trouble resulting in suspension... and there is nothing the team can do about it. Instead of an Alan Houston rule I'd like to see better rules for voiding a contract based on behavior.

2 - There needs to be an Alan Houston rule for serious injuries. I don't think the player should lose his cash if his injury happens during the course of NBA practice or games. Accidents do happen when athletes are out there throwing their bodies around for their teams. But I think teams should be able to buy them out and avoid massive salary cap ramifications. Take Brandon Roy for instance, he's due: 2011-2012$15,032,420

2013$16,730,840

2014$18,159,260

2015$19,587,680

It's a dumb contract to be sure but there is no question he was damn good for 4 straight season and hit a wall when he completely destroyed his knee recently leading to just 23 starts and a dim future. If Lebron James destroys both of his knees tonight I don't think Miami should suffer for the remainder of his contract.

Veteran big man for the #2 pick? Yeah good luck with that.

6, 18, Blatche. I really don't think the T-Wolves can get something better than this.

---------- Post added June-2nd-2011 at 05:46 PM ----------

Baltche is a veteran. He's big. Let's not tell them anything else about him.

What is this "else" you're talking off? Blatche is a high character athlete. :pfft:

Edited by No Excuses