Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

The free chicken sandwich is an awesome promotion.

the truth about the promotion is that all you have to do is show a ticket stub, and you will get the chicken.

Ive done it a few times.

they have no idea if anyone missed the free throws or not, lol

I hate saying this, but the Wizards should win their next 5 games.

Yeah. But the later years. I know he got big rebounds. Was he a tip in king too? lol

He's the greatest rebound ever for a reason. Seriously he was an absolute god at everything related to it. Always heard he would spend hours just having people purposefully miss shots so he could study and learn how balls would come off the rim. No idea how true that is and how much that's urban legend. Even if bull****, the fact that it's believable says a lot.

Edited by G.A.C.O.L.B.
  • Like 1

Anyway, I officially absolutely despise Tony Kornheiser and can't stand him. Growing up with Wilbon and him, part of my childhood, part of the two Redskin SB's I remember (especially XXVI, with the Bandwagon). As such, always try to give them the benefit of the doubt and give them a pass. Wilbon officially lost me with the ST tragedy (RIP) but Kornheiser has just barely hung on. No more.

There's nothing more infuriating and annoying then listening to paid sports commentators talk out of their ass about your team. The fact that Kornheiser talks out of his ass on tbe teams in the one specific city he's paid to cover sports in is simply disgusting.

According to him the Wiz are clearly just fighting fur 3rd place and have no business being mentioned km the same breath as Cleveland and Chicago. And they way he says it, just ugh. I know it's hard to follow teams when you're in bed by the time their games start at 7pm but you think you're getting paid to cover them you could do some ****ing research.

Seriously I'm not sure who i hate more now, Kornheiser or Chad Flukes. I really need to finally invest in satellite radio.

/rant

Sorry. I feel better

Just realized that's Martell Webster with the steal and pass on that Andre Miller dunk vid. Cool.

Edited by G.A.C.O.L.B.
  • Like 1

Most of the national media has Chicago and Lebron as the top two seeds.  No one believes in Toronto and DC because the teams are seen as lacking a superstar and as everyone knows, basketball can only be won by teams with superstar media darlings.  If that doesn't actually happen they just pretend one of the players on that team was actually always a superstar the media loved retroactively.  They did that with Dirk and "Mr. Big Shot" after they beat the media favorites. 

Seriously I'm not sure who i hate more now, Kornheiser or Chad Flukes. I really need to finally invest in satellite radio.

/rant

Sorry. I feel better

I have never listened to Chad. Ever. Not once. I love Tony for who he has been to this area for so long but I absolutely get everything you're saying about him. He's not really a "sports" guy even though he does sports. 

As for satellite- I LOVE Sirius NFL and NBA radio. You should try it. Not a lot of home team coverage but the shows are good and content is constant. I even have the iPhone app so I can listen anywhere.

Edited by Chachie

Props to the Sports Fix on leading their show off with Wizards talk. Loverro even saying he's starting to think they're the team to beat in the East, that they are so ridiculously deep and not a single knucklehead on the team. Hopefully they're playing the show in the station's bathroom so Kornheiser can listen while he finishes cleaning up the bull**** he spewed this AM.

And yeah, I understand the nature of Kornheiser's show. Have listened all my life. Wasn't just that he said though, it's HOW he said it; like we're still in the days of Susan O'Mally. Been through so much **** in a quarter century of Bullets/Wizards fandom, when we finally, FINALLY deserve legit praise, just ****ing give it or let the people who know what the **** they're taking about do the talking (they got David ****ing Aldridge on the show for christsake).

Do yourself a favor and never stray from your boycott of Flukes. Listened once to his new show. Once. Ugh. Whoever thought it was a good idea giving some wannabe redneck a show in Chocolate City talking about majority Black leagues is a ****ing genius.../s (<--tbc on that)

The Wizards have yet to drop a really bad loss this year. The only games we've lost have been to good teams or solid teams playing at home. That's a positive. Finding ways to get it done against the teams you need to beat is crucial to getting enough wins to be a high seed.

I think this season's team is still a long way from peaking too. Hovering around 68% wins when you're not even close to playing your best basketball is something to feel legitimately good about. We're on a 56 win pace right now. Finishing at that total gets us at least the three seed and probably the two. Not a bad place to be in a year when there are no elite teams in the conference.

That Atlanta loss is looking better in hindsight. I thought it was a bad loss at the time, but we played our worst basketball and kept it close with a team that's currently 9-6. We're better than them. And they're a solid team when Horford and Millsap are healthy.

Not sure why you've been so down on the Hawks. Teague, Horford, and Millsap aren't a bad trio in the east. I actually would like to see Millsap here because I think he'd be a perfect fit.

The hawks and Heat will be close to the wizards record when we enter the last quarter if the season. I don't see us running away with the division unless someone gets injured. I wouldn't expect either team to be more than 8 games behind us, meaning that a bad month or injury could derail much.

Not sure why you've been so down on the Hawks. Teague, Horford, and Millsap aren't a bad trio in the east. I actually would like to see Millsap here because I think he'd be a perfect fit.

The hawks and Heat will be close to the wizards record when we enter the last quarter if the season. I don't see us running away with the division unless someone gets injured. I wouldn't expect either team to be more than 8 games behind us, meaning that a bad month or injury could derail much.

You're right, Teague, Millsap, Horford isn't a bad trio. All three are fringe All Stars.

But that team doesn't scare me either. I think they're regular season overachievers that can't match up with us in top end quality or depth.

Also 8 games ahead going into the final quarter of the season would be a pretty substantial lead. A Wall injury could derail us, and that's going to go without saying every season pretty much. LeBron/Durant injuries turn their teams into high lottery teams. But a Wall injury is also the only injury I'd be worried about. We haven't had good injury luck so far, and yet we're still winning games whether or not Beal or Nene have played.

We're a good team also.  This is why I say it was a bad loss.  Obviously, it's no indicator as to how this team will match up down the road...but Toronto looked excellent the last time we played.

Eh, we played horrible that game, started out 1-11, and they were the 1 seed playing at home. They also left their starters in the whole 4th to push up the margin of victory, something they've been doing all season. Losing that game wasn't a big deal, nor should anyone draw too many conclusions from it.

At the end of the season, we'll probably see that Toronto is a little bit better than us. They're deeper and better coached. They've also got almost all their guys in their prime. And they've got long, athletic bigs--which has been a bit of a kryptonite for us recently.

But I like our upside, our playoff experience, and the quality of our top 8 or 9 guys over theirs. I like our chances in a postseason series against them.

Most of the national media has Chicago and Lebron as the top two seeds.  No one believes in Toronto and DC because the teams are seen as lacking a superstar and as everyone knows, basketball can only be won by teams with superstar media darlings.  If that doesn't actually happen they just pretend one of the players on that team was actually always a superstar the media loved retroactively.  They did that with Dirk and "Mr. Big Shot" after they beat the media favorites. 

Dirk was considered a superstar.  The media rewarded him with an MVP...

They also said he would never win a title because he was soft and didn't play defense.... until he did and then all of the sudden OMG Dirk.

BTW - How come the Mavs owner/GM aren't getting more **** for wasting his career by breaking up the title team?  Tyson Chandler is back and surprise the Mavs defense is a billion times better.  They let him walk on a pipe dream of getting Howard or Lebron and basically wasted Dirk and a team that could have been retooled and remained a contender. 

Edited by Destino

Yeah Dirk was definitely a superstar, but he didn't get the same kind of respect other Superstars did at that point. Just kind of the NBA's forgotten superstar, or he'd been written off as soft. And the Mavs definitely didn't get much respect before that postseason started.

Then Dirk went on an absolute mission and had a Larry Bird-like playoff run. Those were good Portland and Lakers teams he beat, and that Thunder team won the West the next year. Beat a dynasty Heat team. One of the best individual performances in playoff history IMO. It was so good Dirk got into the AS game the next season despite being hurt and underperforming for most of it out of sheer respect for what he'd done in the playoffs. He definitely played like a superstar in the playoffs.

I think the reason the Heat were considered overwhelming favorites going into that series was because the math was 3 superstars vs 1. Not 3 vs 0.

They also said he would never win a title because he was soft and didn't play defense.... until he did and then all of the sudden OMG Dirk.

BTW - How come the Mavs owner/GM aren't getting more **** for wasting his career by breaking up the title team?  Tyson Chandler is back and surprise the Mavs defense is a billion times better.  They let him walk on a pipe dream of getting Howard or Lebron and basically wasted Dirk and a team that could have been retooled and remained a contender.

Wasn't just for Dwight or LeBron. They struck out on Deron Williams (a good thing in retrospect), Carmelo Anthony, and Chris Bosh too.

I wouldn't call their efforts a pipe dream though. I know DWill seriously considered them, and I bet Dwight and Melo did too. But they wanted to play for teams as the guy and do it on their terms I think.

It is a shame that the Mavs broke up that title team. But that Tyson Chandler contract was a bad one IMO, he didn't live up to it in NY and I'm not sure the Mavs would still have been contenders if they kept Chandler. That was a lightning in a bottle run they captured in 2011, and Dirk had injury problems the two seasons following that run.

It's hard to say the Mavs have wasted any part of Dirk's career considering they've won 50+ games every year he's been healthy. They're always well run and competitive. It's just been hard for them to get that second star to pair with Dirk because they've been too good to snag one in the draft and, for whatever reason, Dirk hasn't had the individual appeal to get anyone else to come play with him in FA. I don't think he is really friends with too many of the other great players around the league.