Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

I'd guess that the people who think we should have kept Ariza at the deal he got over Pierce probably don't follow the team/NBA that closely.

It's this. It's damn near impossible to randomly talk Wizards in the area. I normally try to stick to people I run into at games and people I run into rocking Wizards gear. For sanity's sake. Think your girlfriend trying to talk football with you (well most girlfriends anyway).

As far as the radio goes, I normally despise 106.7 and avoid it at all costs, but they might actually have 980 beat on the Wizards front. Well when Danny Rouhier is on anyway. He's one of us, one of the Suffering. He knows his **** when it comes to the Wiz.

Looks like CSN isn't carrying the game tonight. But NBA Network is airing it at 4am if you wanna set your DVR to watch it tomorrow.

That block by Theis has to be on top 10 plays tonight.

Edited by STBonecrusher21

Managed to catch the second quarter, Porter playing well scoring while being fouled (and getting the FT) and also a nice pass on a fast break.  Third coming up :)

ETA: Nice 3rd from Rice, and a good 4th from the team with an 8-0 run as the game comes to an end.  Porter was ok, Rice looked good.

We look a decent team.

Edited by Pedro

Catch a ride from Vegas on a broccoli Maserati. Lear jet, she wet, Frozen, can't see, land in DC. Slow hand like a wintergreen Rolex. Take a green...limousine. Cruise control, Lincoln Town Car, prom queen, American Dream, Dusty Rhodes, thar she blows…I left Boston, party tea, barges three, I keep it real like a Finals MVP...

10402381_605980712850358_275938307497665

Some of the homerism from  this last page is just silly! Now Ariza is not a lock down defender? come on please Ariza was easily our best defender and one of the best in the entire league. Pierce is a upgrade over Ariza LOL come on man! I would agree  2 years ago but father age is finally catching up to The Truth! And how does Pierce fit better than Ariza with the fast break offense and argubly the fastest PG in the league. Ariza was good running on the break and finishing or heading to the 3 point line, Pierce can't do that.

I am very happy that we was able to add Paul Pierce he gives you almost the same #s plus leadership, Ariza was awesome for the team and we will miss his defense but this move was great considering we saved a ton and we set ourselves up later for the Kevin Durant sweepstakes.

• Like 4

Rice may get some playing time, but there is some serious overvaluing going on based of summer league play. Rice put up great numbers D-league two seasons ago and barely played this last year when the team had less depth. I would like to see him play his way into the rotation, but he'll have to prove it in camp and Wittman will actually have to learn how to handle depth with smart rotations. Frankly, I don't trust Wittman at all and wish the team had a proven head coach.

Some of the homerism from  this last page is just silly! Now Ariza is not a lock down defender? come on please Ariza was easily our best defender and one of the best in the entire league. Pierce is a upgrade over Ariza LOL come on man! I would agree  2 years ago but father age is finally catching up to The Truth! And how does Pierce fit better than Ariza with the fast break offense and argubly the fastest PG in the league. Ariza was good running on the break and finishing or heading to the 3 point line, Pierce can't do that.

No, Ariza is not a lockdown defender. He's a very good defender but he's not elite. He was the best defender on our team because we lack elite defensive players and are a team of good, not great defenders. He's not one of the best defenders in the league either. Tony Allen, Jimmy Butler, LeBron James, Paul George, Kawhi Leonard, these are elite perimeter defenders. Ariza is absolutely not in their class.

We don't run a fast break offense either. We were bottom half of the league in pace last season. We run a slower paced, two big man, mid range heavy half court offense similar to what Doc Rivers ran in Boston. People seem to think we run this fast break heavy offense because it fits the narrative of "team with fast PG" but it's not true. Most of the breaks we run are John Wall alone against numbers.

Pierce is a better fit offensively for us because he's still a much, much better offensive player than Ariza. Better shooter, better ball handler, better scorer, better passer.

Obviously Ariza is a better defender than Pierce, but at 37 he's a MUCH better player than Ariza.  For one, Ariza can't create his own shot.  In addition, Ariza is a 3 ONLY.  You can play Pierce at the 2, 3, or 4 depending on the lineup.  Ariza straight up owes Wall 95% of his contract for feasting off of open looks.  You don't think Pierce will reap the same benefits?  You're INSANE if you don't think this is an upgrade.  Between Pierce/Porter, we will exceed Ariza's contributions for this team.  Losing him will absolutely NOT hurt.  He was a good player for us and parlayed his play during his contract year to a nice pay day.  I wish him the best in Houston, but he was easily replaceable. 

• Like 1

Obviously Ariza is a better defender than Pierce, but at 37 he's a MUCH better player than Ariza.  For one, Ariza can't create his own shot.  In addition, Ariza is a 3 ONLY.  You can play Pierce at the 2, 3, or 4 depending on the lineup.  Ariza straight up owes Wall 95% of his contract for feasting off of open looks.  You don't think Pierce will reap the same benefits?  You're INSANE if you don't think this is an upgrade.  Between Pierce/Porter, we will exceed Ariza's contributions for this team.  Losing him will absolutely NOT hurt.  He was a good player for us and parlayed his play during his contract year to a nice pay day.  I wish him the best in Houston, but he was easily replaceable. 

I agree completely.

Even at 37, Pierce will command more respect on offense from opposing defenses than Ariza did. That makes things easier for Wall & Beal to operate.

We can survive what we lose in defense if the offense improves. Hopefully Randy will show some creativity and utilize Pierce at the 4 in small lineups.

http://mweb.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/24624893/las-vegas-summer-league-otto-porter-makes-his-presence-felt?v=1&vc=1

2014 Las Vegas Summer League: Otto Porter makes his presence felt

Porter started things off with 25 points -- his first time reaching double figures since college --  on 11-for-16 shooting against the Atlanta Hawks. Through three games, he's averaging 19 points, 6.3 rebounds and shooting 53.3 percent from the field. His jumpers are falling, and with his almost 7-foot-2 wingspan they're unblockable. If he’s not at the very top of the list of most improved players, he’s near it.

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH