Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

5 years 50 isn't a bad deal, especially if they front load the contract where we take the biggest hits until Nene expires. Add in a team option for the 5th year and it's ok.

I am absolutely terrified of the Ariza contract. He is the one who can absolutely cripple this team.

Grunfeld gave Blatche a player option right?  No chance Gortat gets stuck with a team option.  

Omer was already traded to the Pelicans I believe.

Oh yeah, forgot about that. That was a really nice get for them.

That team is going to win a championship in the next five years.

Grunfeld gave Blatche a player option right?  No chance Gortat gets stuck with a team option.

Yeah, it'd be nice but I don't see it happening. I think he gets a straight forward 5 for 50 deal. But that might be wishful thinking.

If you have no faith at all in a guy to start for your team, then for the love of God dont draft him with the 3rd overall pick. Porter isnt a bad player. Thats the crazy thing. Hes rarely played bad when he was on the court. Why cant we give him a chance? Will we have to wait for Ariza to get break a leg or something for Porter to find some minutes again. Dude was still playing over him on back to backs with a high fever.

He was a hot mess on offense.  

The only bad thing about Gortat is resigning him for 5 years when he is already 30. But i can live with it. This team will have hit its' ceiling by signing Ariza.

What should be a positive is that they can use this deal to draft a big man (or sign a young one) and have time to develop him.  Behind Gortat and Nene really at the 4 and 5.  Sadly Ernie Grunfeld so that's not going to happen the way we'd like.  

Edited by Destino

I mean, are we already reaching our ceiling? 

I certainly hope not.  Beal was only in his second year.  He's expected to improve like most NBA players going into their 3rd year and beyond.  Wall might improve further as a shooter too. 

The money you save from letting Ariza walk can get you a decent FA. My first choice is Patrick Patterson but there are probably others out there.

I like the Patterson idea.  What about another younger, complimentary 3, like Gordon Hayward?

Edited by Enforcer_FFX

It may be quixotic to keep the door open for Durant. It looks like he'll stay in OKC forever. But being the one other NBA team that has a chance at him greater than zero, you HAVE to keep that door open. And I think you can stay good while maintaining roster flexibility by signing Gortat, letting Ariza walk, letting Nene expire, and filling in the cracks with two year deals this summer.

Maybe. You do that if you are 100 percent convinced that Beal can be the #2 player on a contender. Otherwise.....you risk turning Wall into a less-talented Lebron on the Cavs. An All Star who is always playing with aging vets, young guys with promise, and FAs from the bargain bin.

The five year deal for Gortat threw me, because my idea was to sign he and Ariza to two or three year deals and just see what happens in the East. But if the market is demanding long-term deals, I'm not sure what I do.

If you let Ariza go, your SF becomes Porter by default, right? And you have no bench at all.

He is going to get a bigger deal than Ariza.

He might get a max offer.

Porter was never slated to be a contributor his rookie year. The team went into the season aiming for the playoffs and was not going to give playing time to rookies. He was drafted because no one expected Ariza to be resigned. Now we are looking at the possibility of a wasted top 3 lotto pick and a bloated contract for a guy who has a history of doing well in contract years and failing to live up to them.

Well I was responding from previous posts that sounded like Porter was not being given a chance, all I am saying if he was Bradley Beal worthy (who was also the #3 pick), he would have been in the line up right away.  I know the injury set him back, but if he was that ready to contribute right now like Beal his first year, he would have been playing, I guarentee no coach would have been holding him back.  And if he were that good, he could have at least contributed off the bench.

Well I was responding from previous posts that sounded like Porter was not being given a chance, all I am saying if he was Bradley Beal worthy (who was also the #3 pick), he would have been in the line up right away. I know the injury set him back, but if he was that ready to contribute right now like Beal his first year, he would have been playing, I guarentee no coach would have been holding him back. And if he were that good, he could have at least contributed off the bench.

Beal wasn't ready to contribute his rookie season. He was beyond awful for the first 30 games. He played because the other options were Jordan Crawford and Garrett Temple. A huge difference when compared to Webster and Ariza.

Porter was never ever going to get PT last year.

If you let Ariza go, your SF becomes Porter by default, right? And you have no bench at all.

If you let Ariza go, you have $10+ million to bring in vets and fill out a bench. That doesn't include any exceptions the Wiz are eligible to use.

• Like 2

Beal wasn't ready to contribute his rookie season. He was beyond awful for the first 30 games. He played because the other options were Jordan Crawford and Garrett Temple. A huge difference when compared to Webster and Ariza.

Porter was never ever going to get PT last year.

Im just saying, if he was that good last year, he would have at least broken into the lineup for some minutes.  Bradley Beal would have played regardless.  Webster was not that good at all last year and the fact that a #3 pick couldn't steal 5 of his minutes is incredible.

Porter was never slated to be a contributor his rookie year. The team went into the season aiming for the playoffs and was not going to give playing time to rookies. He was drafted because no one expected Ariza to be resigned. Now we are looking at the possibility of a wasted top 3 lotto pick and a bloated contract for a guy who has a history of doing well in contract years and failing to live up to them.

yup

another Ernie debacle.

But its all good, we made the 2nd round of the playoffs. REJOICE!

• Like 1

Im just saying, if he was that good last year, he would have at least broken into the lineup for some minutes.  Bradley Beal would have played regardless.  Webster was not that good at all last year and the fact that a #3 pick couldn't steal 5 of his minutes is incredible.

I think it's a little unfair to place this all on Porter. He missed so much time with the injury and once they get into the season they don't have a ton of team practices together. Couple that with a head coach that has no system or real rotation while coaching to keep his job and it's going to be tough for a rookie to get minutes behind two established players. A good franchise takes the time to get the players they are developing some minutes during games throughout the season. Developing players is one of the biggest downfalls are Leonsis teams.

Well I was responding from previous posts that sounded like Porter was not being given a chance, all I am saying if he was Bradley Beal worthy (who was also the #3 pick), he would have been in the line up right away.  I know the injury set him back, but if he was that ready to contribute right now like Beal his first year, he would have been playing, I guarentee no coach would have been holding him back.  And if he were that good, he could have at least contributed off the bench.

I seem to remember Beal playing poorly for his first 3 months or so. But he was getting 30 min at a min per game with no question as to whether or not he would be the starter. Porter has got two veterans in front of him soon to be on fresh deals.

If you let Ariza go, you have $10+ million to bring in vets and fill out a bench. That doesn't include any exceptions the Wiz are eligible to use.

Does that replace Ariza's production? Finally make the playoffs after years of dreadful basketball and some of you guys have convinced yourselves two of the best players on the team are expendable...

Does that replace Ariza's production? Finally make the playoffs after years of dreadful basketball and some of you guys have convinced yourselves two of the best players on the team are expendable...

If we can't get 14 and 6 and some decent defense out of a rotation of Porter/Webster/Insert FA Pickup then Randy is officially the worst coach in the game.

If we can't get 14 and 6 and some decent defense out of a rotation of Porter/Webster/Insert FA Pickup then Randy is officially the worst coach in the game.

Seriously.  90% of the shots Ariza took last year were wide open, courtesy of Wall.  Porter/Webster will exceed his production easily.

I can still live with this as the Wizards are so poorly run that there really is no back up plan at all. He will always be in shape and he seems like a real good locker room presence. Plus he really wanted to be in Washington which is always a bonus.

Sucks that Wall is publically recruiting Ariza.