Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

I do not want to trade the pick. I just don't think we will get much for it. Am I the only one thinking that Wise's suggestion of #3 and Booker to Detroit for #9 and Greg Monroe is nuts? I don't think there is any way Detroit does that.

I would stand pat and take Porter or Bennett, assuming Noel and McLemore go 1-2. I love Oladipo, I just don't know where he fits on the roster.

Please Ernie, you were handed a gift, do not screw this up.  Run the card up there with Porters name on it and watch him develop along side your other two stars.  Please, please, please do not draft some European player who can't dribble, shoot or just play basketball i.e. Vesely.

Draft Porter. He can DEFEND the hell outta 3. Bennett is a match-up nightmare on offense, as he will back down a 3 and run around/pull up on a 4. And he has injury issues already. I hope Noel and McLamore go 1-2, and that leaves us with Porter-Bennett-Oladipo at #3. Of course, knowing how Ernie loves the Europeans with measurables he will take Alex Len at #3.

Trade Targets w/ Pick:

- Aspirational: Kanter, Monroe, Sanders, Horford

- More Realistic: Milsap

I'd be really happy if we can get Milsap in a sign and trade. iF we can get back that #14 pick also and get ourselves Dennis Schroder to back up Wall, that is a home run

• Like 1

I do not want to trade the pick. I just don't think we will get much for it. Am I the only one thinking that Wise's suggestion of #3 and Booker to Detroit for #9 and Greg Monroe is nuts? I don't think there is any way Detroit does that.

Yeah, not a chance they do that.  Would have to be really stupid.

I'm fine with Porter. Dude hustles and has a fairly solid jumper.  He does lack athleticism somewhat.  Out of all the Hoyas games I watched I don't recall him ever really slashing super fast to the rim and throwing down a powerful dunk.  I'm sure he's capable though haha.  

All I know is we don't need another guard.  

Yeah, not a chance they do that.  Would have to be really stupid.

I'm fine with Porter. Dude hustles and has a fairly solid jumper.  He does lack athleticism somewhat.  Out of all the Hoyas games I watched I don't recall him ever really slashing super fast to the rim and throwing down a powerful dunk.  I'm sure he's capable though haha.  

All I know is we don't need another guard.  

We need talent over anything. If they thought McClemore/Oladipo was much better overall prospect than Porter/Bennet, I wouldn't have a problem going in that direction. Price/Martin/Temple are not above being upgraded.

• Like 1

We need talent over anything. If they thought McClemore/Oladipo was much better overall prospect than Porter/Bennet, I wouldn't have a problem going in that direction. Price/Martin/Temple are not above being upgraded.

That's very true.  I think McClemore is the best talent in this draft, so if he was there at 3 I'd take him.  I think he's gonna go top 2 though.  

Porter just doesn't come across as a superstar, no matter how you cut it. Good just not great or dominate, which is a country mile in the NBA which is all about the superstar. I think folks are just going with the local kid, happy vibe. 

Noel could block shots with the best of them coming out of HS, flashed the defensive early at UK, but his offensive development was what was in question. Then he got hurt before anyone could have seen the actual development of what was a majorly overhyped and underperforming Kentucky team. Questions still exist about offensive ceiling with Noel. 

Bennett seems to have the highest upside as a Pro to me. Physically speaking you can see him transitioning to the "mans game" of the NBA whereas you have to project when looking at Porter's and Noel's physique. Bennett for all the negatives folks bring up just looks like an NBA guy and looks very diverse on the offensive end - shooting range, post, rebounds, muscle points and able to hit a foul shot. Dare I say people are just running with hyperbole concerning his defensive abilities? - If his offensive abilities are what folks project, he's going to be a stud. If you do your homework on him and feel like the shoulder surgery is a success, then I don't get the handwringing.

Trade Targets w/ Pick:

- Aspirational: Kanter, Monroe, Sanders, Horford

- More Realistic: Milsap

I'd be really happy if we can get Milsap in a sign and trade. iF we can get back that #14 pick also and get ourselves Dennis Schroder to back up Wall, that is a home run

Don't care for Sanders and don't think he's worth the 3rd pick but I like the other three.

Milsap isn't even close to being worth the 3rd pick when the Jazz probably have 0 intention of keeping him.  The 14th pick is cosmetic at that point.  You're going from a foundation piece at 3 to a career bench guy at 14 most likely.  You could probably get Milsap in a S&T for way less than #3.

He's got to be able to get on the floor for more than 30 minutes a game though.  You can't draft a reserve at 3.  Even if he's a good reserve.  You can't end up with OJ Mayo.

BPA works well in theory, but we're not making the pick in a vacuum.  We can't simply thoughtlessly hoard talent and end up with a well constructed team.  Rotation and roster management is a zero sum proposition, where a yes for one guy at one spot is a no to everyone else.  We've got two foundation pieces already that we have to build around in Wall and Beal.  And we've got Nene as a long term barrier. Adding a good big man or a good SF is far more valuable to us than adding a good SG like Dipo or McLemore.

Porter is the one for us.  Just draft him and move on to the next spot in our build, be thankful we got a great player at a position of need.

I'd say Bennett makes sense for us too if not for the chemical problems he'd bring.  If you draft him, then you need to fire Wittman immediately.  Wittman could not coach Bennett.  Bennett would never see the floor.  His weaknesses as a coach and Bennett's weaknesses as a player make them totally incompatible.

#..3: Anthony Bennett  ||  Otto Porter Jr

#38: Tim Hardaway Jr  ||   Seth Curry       ||  Gorgui Dieng

#54: Doug Anderson    ||   Gorgui Dieng   ||  Ryan Kelly 

I actually think Hardaway goes end of 1st, early 2nd, as D. Aldridge does. So that's kind-of my short list ... and you've been white ninja'ed  :ph34r:

What's interesting about this thread is that's essentially been one long conversation between about 15 people.  It's like the draft thread in the stadium, only even smaller.

Why is Thinking Skins's name greyed out on the list though?  Did he get banned?  That'd be really surprising.

What up everyone....I'm digging the new format. 

Anyways, I couldn't be happier with the #3 pick.  I have a couple of ideas

1.  Obviously draft Porter.  He fills a HUGE need for us at the 3.  If this happens, I would like to see EG package our 2 second round picks + a player to move up into the late 1st.  It would be imperative to get a big to eventually replace Okafor.  Guys like Withey or Adams come to mind.

2.  Worst case scenario...Cleveland takes Porter.  If this happens, I'm thinking that Orlando will take Burke or McLemore.  That puts Noel right into our laps.  Not a horrible consolation.  If we don't trade back, I'd still like to see EG trade the second round picks to get a late 1st.  However, the priorities will change.  No longer would we need another big, but maybe target a 3 like Glenn Rice Jr.

3.  Put together a package that's enticing to the Kings to pry away Boogie. 

*edit*

Does David Falk representing Porter complicate things? 

Edited by RonArtest15

Don't care for Sanders and don't think he's worth the 3rd pick but I like the other three.

Milsap isn't even close to being worth the 3rd pick when the Jazz probably have 0 intention of keeping him.  The 14th pick is cosmetic at that point.  You're going from a foundation piece at 3 to a career bench guy at 14 most likely.  You could probably get Milsap in a S&T for way less than #3.

I like Porter but the only people I view as potential foundation pieces outside of Noel and McLemore are Oladipo and Burke. Unfortunately, we don't need either one of them. 

Is bench depth a bad thing? The only good bench player we have now is Ariza. Booker, Price, Singleton and Seraphin are all third rate. Furthermore, if we had a good backup PG last season instead of Price, we would have probably picked up at least 5-6 wins more when Wall was out.

What up everyone....I'm digging the new format. 

Anyways, I couldn't be happier with the #3 pick.  I have a couple of ideas

1.  Obviously draft Porter.  He fills a HUGE need for us at the 3.  If this happens, I would like to see EG package our 2 second round picks + a player to move up into the late 1st.  It would be imperative to get a big to eventually replace Okafor.  Guys like Withey or Adams come to mind.

2.  Worst case scenario...Cleveland takes Porter.  If this happens, I'm thinking that Orlando will take Burke or McLemore.  That puts Noel right into our laps.  Not a horrible consolation.  If we don't trade back, I'd still like to see EG trade the second round picks to get a late 1st.  However, the priorities will change.  No longer would we need another big, but maybe target a 3 like Glenn Rice Jr.

3.  Put together a package that's enticing to the Kings to pry away Boogie. 

*edit*

Does David Falk representing Porter complicate things? 

I really hope we can use this draft to land Withey and a good backup PG like Larkin or Schroeder. Imagine coming out of this draft with Milsap, Schroeder and Withey. That'd be a huge win. (We would probably have to move Ariza and Vesely to Utah to make salaries match)

PG: Wall / Schroeder / Price

SG: Beal / Bellinelli (bi-annual exception) / Martin

SF: Webster ($3M annually) / Budinger (whatever is leftover from MLE) / Singleton

PF: Milsap / Nene / Booker

C: Emeka / Withey / Seraphin

It seems like drafting Porter is a no brainer but I'm absolutely poisitive that Ernie will eff this up in some way. 

By the way when you have a young team and you have the # 8 pick you consider dealing it. 

When you have a young team and you have the third pick you draft the 3rd best player in the country and you go from there.

Edited by Rocky21

I don't think they'll move the pick for vets. That was a Abe Pollin/Ernie Grunfeld move. In the Ted/Ernie era, they look for high character, young, and talented players to build a core with. Obviously, Porter makes the most sense.

By the way, here is where the Okafaor, Nene, and Ariza contracts are really annoying. You could have stunk for three years and gotten all these top picks without those contracts on the books. And suddenly, you would have three top three picks and all kinds of roster flexibility. The team should get better now simply through maturity and natural NBA growth. But, it's still an odd roster that is not very easy to manipulate.

By the way, here is where the Okafaor, Nene, and Ariza contracts are really annoying. You could have stunk for three years and gotten all these top picks without those contracts on the books. And suddenly, you would have three top three picks and all kinds of roster flexibility. The team should get better now simply through maturity and natural NBA growth. But, it's still an odd roster that is not very easy to manipulate.

I think both Ariza/Okafor are off the books following the season, so both guys SHOULD be attractive trade chips going forward.  However, do we really trust EG to make a good deal?  Probably not. 

The Nene contract is going to become an albatross, if it isn't already.  We'll be lucky to get 50 games out of him.  What the team needs to do is to take a page out of the Spurs book as far as how they manage Tim Duncan's minutes.  I'm not saying playing Nene 30 minutes a night, but the Wizards should KNOW their personnel and play Nene 20-22 MPG.  This will hopefully save his body a bit and also give the team a much needed spark in the limited minutes that he does play.  Nene playing 20-22 > Nene playing 25+

I like Porter but the only people I view as potential foundation pieces outside of Noel and McLemore are Oladipo and Burke. Unfortunately, we don't need either one of them. 

Is bench depth a bad thing? The only good bench player we have now is Ariza. Booker, Price, Singleton and Seraphin are all third rate. Furthermore, if we had a good backup PG last season instead of Price, we would have probably picked up at least 5-6 wins more when Wall was out.

Bench depth would be a bad thing to end up with when you had the third overall pick fall into your lap.  You can find bench guys with late picks, low key FAs, and low key trades of marginal assets.

We HAVE to find the third piece of a three man long term core with this third overall pick.  We will never get another chance as good as this to get the third piece of the Wall era.  That's why we should just take Porter and be done with it.  Or Noel if he drops to us but I doubt he will.

Bench depth would be a bad thing to end up with when you had the third overall pick fall into your lap.  You can find bench guys with late picks, low key FAs, and low key trades of marginal assets.

We HAVE to find the third piece of a three man long term core with this third overall pick.  We will never get another chance as good as this to get the third piece of the Wall era.  That's why we should just take Porter and be done with it.  Or Noel if he drops to us but I doubt he will.

Yes and that is why we should leverage the #3 pick into a big man who can score and rebound and play more than 50 games. In my other post, I propose getting Milsap and #14. #14 would be prime position to get a top flight backup in this draft.