Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Exactly.. if for some reason a GM has his injury affect his decision in drafting him, he is a fool. Len isn't going to be a major contributor next season anyway, so the injury is a non factor.

What could possibly go wrong in drafting a center with a history of stress fractures in his feet and ankles? Bad feet and ankles have never ever derailed an NBA big man.

Did someone curse this draft class? Not only does it appear to be weak but that makes three lotto picks with significant injuries. Is it too late to demand a refund and trade our pick for Steph Curry?

Not as worried about the rotator cuff injury on Bennett as the injuries to Len and Noel. He played through it, played pretty well, and should be healthy for camp. Much better a shoulder than the lower body. Bet that **** hurts though.

---------- Post added May-13th-2013 at 01:19 AM ----------

The other deal in that thread is a gem...Knight/Monroe/Singler/#7 for Wall/Beal/#8

We'd instantly become a crappier Detroit Pistons team

:puke:

There is literally nothing Detroit could offer to make me give up Wall. No offer in their power whatsoever. No combination of players or picks. And they don't have a one for one player I'd accept for Beal. Not Monroe, not Drummond, and certainly not to move up one irrelevant spot in a **** draft class.

We earned Wall and Beal by being horrible. We'll never deal them. We're going to see it through with them and enjoy them when they develop. They'll spend their careers here and they will be the foundation of a two all star construction that may or may not eventually become a legit contender one day. So long as we have both of them, that option will be on the table.

---------- Post added May-13th-2013 at 01:33 AM ----------

Huge crack problem in Detroit these days.

To be fair, the majority of the posters in the thread shot those silly trade ideas down. A couple of them were dialed in to how good Wall and Beal are.

So Zeller doesn't win the TRex Award.

Cody Zeller height without shoes6'10.75" w/shoes7'0.25" wingspan6'10.75" reach8'10"

Kelly Olynyk height without shoes6'10.75" w/shoes7'0 wingspan6'9.75" reach9'0"

Oddly despite having longer arms than Olynyk and being the same height his reach is two inches shorter.

Edited by Destino

Cody Zeller height without shoes6'10.75" w/shoes7'0.25" wingspan6'10.75" reach8'10"

Oddly despite having longer arms than Olynyk and being the same height his reach is two inches shorter.

Bet he regrets getting that manicure right about now.

Shoulder width and neck. Zeller's got all of the neck that Beal lacks.

Zeller's combine numbers were amazing. 35 inch standing vert for a white seven footer is unfathomable. He's a top four pick. Oladipo was impressive too. Indiana put out some talent this year. I see virtually no chance those guys end up being bad. Maybe not superstars, but they're going to be great pros with long careers.

Maryland's sophomore center Alex Len has no body issues. He's a legit 250-pounder. But Len is also on the shelf after ankle surgery earlier this month to stabilize a stress fracture. Len will miss four to six months. He didn't work out in Chicago last week, but told reporters that he believes in 10 years he'll be viewed as the best player in the Draft. Scouts and executives believe he, too, will be worth the wait.

Len was inconsistent in his two seasons at Maryland, but part of that, NBA types believe, wasn't his fault. He played with guards who struggled to get him regular touches in the paint, and wings who couldn't take pressure off of him consistently with jumpers.

"The thing with Len is, staying at Maryland wasn't going to help him, because they weren't going to throw him the ball," a Northwest Division scout said. "They didn't throw him the ball when they could see both of his numbers in the post."

But Len flashed enough to justify his likely Lottery status. He outplayed both Noel and Willie Cauley-Stein in the Barclays Center Classic in November, going for 23 points, 12 rebounds and four blocks in Maryland's 72-69 loss, making them "look like kids," as one scout put it. He had five more double-doubles on the season, led the ACC in blocked shots (78) and acquitted himself well in three meetings against Duke.

"If he doesn't have that game against Kentucky, I'm not sure you're talking about him as a top-seven, top-eight pick," a Western Conference Director of Scouting said. "But he did have that game, so you have to take that into consideration. The point guard was horrendous in the games I saw him. I saw him play very well against Mason Plumlee. He just physically has a lot of work to do with the lower part of his body. He does shoot it and I think he's got a competitive fire, and he's still young. But when you have a young guy with a lower leg issue, that's real scary."

Scouts believe Len will be able to step out enough on the perimeter to be an effective pick-and-pop player.

"If you want to be more negative, I don't know how tough he is," said the scout who praised Len's performance against Kentucky. "I don't know how physical he is. He's going to have a real problem with that in the lower body. I don't think he's more talented than (76ers center) Spencer Hawes ... right now he doesn't want to shoot the jump hook, but I'm sure somebody will teach him that. I think Len's going to be fine. I think he will be able to play but you're going to have to be patient."

http://www.nba.com/2013/news/features/david_aldridge/05/20/david-aldridges-big-board-centers-2013-draft/index.html?ls=iref:nbahpt13a

Seems the scouts agree with some of us about Len and the terps. That team wasn't helping him. His injury increases his risk and any team taking him needs to structure his strength and conditioning so that weight gained is primarily lower body and core. His upper body could stand to get thicker but that has to come last or he'll end up with McGee unbalanced frame that can't hold it's ground in the NBA.

http://www.nba.com/2013/news/features/david_aldridge/05/20/david-aldridges-big-board-centers-2013-draft/index.html?ls=iref:nbahpt13a

Seems the scouts agree with some of us about Len and the terps. That team wasn't helping him. His injury increases his risk and any team taking him needs to structure his strength and conditioning so that weight gained is primarily lower body and core. His upper body could stand to get thicker but that has to come last or he'll end up with McGee unbalanced frame that can't hold it's ground in the NBA.

You get the feeling that Len is going to go top-5?

Personally, I can't shake the thought that we'll end up with either Shabazz or Zeller.

You get the feeling that Len is going to go top-5?

Personally, I can't shake the thought that we'll end up with either Shabazz or Zeller.

This draft is weird. I have no idea where some of the players will go because there are so many question marks. Len could easily go before Shabazz... or after. :ols:

I did the little ESPN draft lotto thing about 20 times this morning. And it had us picking eighth every time. It had us taking Len with about 15 of those picks and Shabazz with the other five. Zeller went around 10-11. In the handful of times that the Wiz did not get Len, he went at five to Cleveland.

I just really do not want Len. I agree that the guards were a sizable part of the reason that Len had such a blah year, they were awful at times. But that article also mentions his toughness, which is my concern. I saw him kept away from the basket way too often by much smaller and inferior players. That is not going to get easier in the NBA. He can definitely shoot and is athletic, but as far as being tough...I don't know. I just do not have a good feeling about him at all. But, I have certainly been wrong before. :)

Breaking news: I just did the draft lotto mock one more time and it had us at three and drafting Otto Porter. I think I wet myself.

I did the little ESPN draft lotto thing about 20 times this morning. And it had us picking eighth every time. It had us taking Len with about 15 of those picks and Shabazz with the other five. Zeller went around 10-11. In the handful of times that the Wiz did not get Len, he went at five to Cleveland.

I just really do not want Len. I agree that the guards were a sizable part of the reason that Len had such a blah year, they were awful at times. But that article also mentions his toughness, which is my concern. I saw him kept away from the basket way too often by much smaller and inferior players. That is not going to get easier in the NBA. He can definitely shoot and is athletic, but as far as being tough...I don't know. I just do not have a good feeling about him at all. But, I have certainly been wrong before. :)

Breaking news: I just did the draft lotto mock one more time and it had us at three and drafting Otto Porter. I think I wet myself.

Pick and pop centers seem to be all the rage these days. That's why Len is getting attention. Most centers these days can't shoot and teaching a 7 footer that can't shoot to do so is like teaching a fish to ride a bicycle. None of the centers in this draft look like top flight big men IMO. The problem is none of the other players do either.

Pick and pop centers seem to be all the rage these days. That's why Len is getting attention. Most centers these days can't shoot and teaching a 7 footer that can't shoot to do so is like teaching a fish to ride a bicycle. None of the centers in this draft look like top flight big men IMO. The problem is none of the other players do either.

Man, you are right about that. I am sure there are going to be a few guys that will develop as stars from this draft, but I have no idea who it will be. I don't think anyone does. There are a handful of guys that I really like, but few of them really fit what the Wiz need. I guess we will get a better read on what could happen after tonight. Fingers crossed.

Man, you are right about that. I am sure there are going to be a few guys that will develop as stars from this draft, but I have no idea who it will be. I don't think anyone does. There are a handful of guys that I really like, but few of them really fit what the Wiz need. I guess we will get a better read on what could happen after tonight. Fingers crossed.

Develop being the key word. I look at this draft and I see guys that are years away from being good. Some years away from not being liabilities in some respects. It's crazy that all of these guys look like depth to me on a bad team like the wizards.

As a Terp grad who wanted him to stay another year. It was still frustrating to see smaller and lighter guys back him down. I'm worried that it'll be embarrassing to see that happen a lot in the NBA.

I know if he's a lotto pick, he should go. Some of us remember how going back hurt Terrance Morris. So, if Len should go....then go.

McLemore

Bennett

Porter

Zeller - Len

Shabazz

In that order. McLemore has the best chance of turning into something special so I like him even with Beal on the roster. Bennett has the second best IMO but his red flags are big and bright. Porter probably has the highest floor but he's not a star. Zeller and Len are a wash with both looking like average starters at the high end and depth at the low. Shabazz is scoring role player.

I don't like Noel at all. He looks like a injury risk rail thin version of Deandre Jordan to me.