Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Nobody has hit a three but Webster?

Live by the three, die by the three. No wonder Wall is the only one scoring tonight.

---------- Post added March-12th-2013 at 09:07 PM ----------

Just got back, and saw the score.

Is this one worth watching on DVR?

Not really. The only thing worth watching tonight was Wall's performance.

---------- Post added March-12th-2013 at 09:16 PM ----------

Not enough evidence to overturn it but I think Livingston touched it last.

Wall, Webster (first half) and Okafor were like the only wizards player to show up for this game. Nene showed up late. A SG and stretch 4 would go a loooooong way for this team. Good thing Beal is one less thing to worry about. We need a bench pretty desperately though.

Wall, Webster (first half) and Okafor were like the only wizards player to show up for this game. Nene showed up late. A SG and stretch 4 would go a loooooong way for this team. Good thing Beal is one less thing to worry about. We need a bench pretty desperately though.

Starting to think Nene may be a concern moving forward. He's slowed down a ton the last month or so. We're stuck with him long term, so I'm hoping he hets healthy or finds the fountain of youth this offseason.

I thought Nene was alright. He rebounded pretty well tonight. His defense was OK, he got a few buckets. We really got nothing outside of four guys though. Damn we're bad. I watched the Spurs last night and guys 6-10 for them can really come in and make an impact and almost everyone on that team can shoot and create a little bit of offense. The ball doesn't hot potato around because guys are having to play in spots they can't shoot from like it does with us.

We've got so many holes left to fill beyond even worrying about Wall and Nene long term. We've got to find starters at SF and C long term. And we've got to find the kind of depth that can prevent nights like this from happening in spots 6-10. We've basically gotten nothing out of Vesely, Singleton, and Booker all year. That's essentially playing three men down right there. Price is an iffy guy to be the backup PG and 3rd guard. Temple just doesn't seem to bring a whole lot to the table offensively. Cartier has been hurt half the season and is a bottom of the roster type at this point. Seraphin is unpredictable and inconsistent. Ariza is good but too expensive for his role on the team. 7 million a year has to bring us back a pretty good starter given how much our two big men cost.

We need to hit on this draft pick and maybe even pray for a miracle that someone useful actually makes it to us in the second round. And we need to retain Webster. That's just to start addressing all of our roster needs too.

We don't have any superstars, we need at least 8 or 9 good players to be good. The Spurs are like 11 or 12 deep with good players. At least. Plus they've got three twenty PER guys and Splitter is just below that at 19.6. They've been able to weather several injuries to key players ranging from Leonard to Parker, Duncan, Ginobli, and Stephen Jackson without losing a beat. They still have the best record and have a great chance to get to 60 wins. I think we've currently got six good players: Wall, Beal, Nene, Okafor, Webster, Ariza. But right now Okafor and Ariza are really overpaid and Nene is slightly overpaid. On SA, only Manu and Stephen Jackson are overpaid, and both are expiring. Duncan and Splitter are on very bargain deals for what they bring, and Parker probably is too.

How much is Okafor being paid ? Think about the position he plays, his production, and his pay...

He had been underrated since he left UConn (injuries didn't help him however). Good guy and solid player at his position.

The guy would be on all the commercials if he had a decent team around him.

How much is Okafor being paid ? Think about the position he plays, his production, and his pay...

He had been underrated since he left UConn (injuries didn't help him however). Good guy and solid player at his position.

The guy would be on all the commercials if he had a decent team around him.

He's making over 14 million a year. More than Duncan and KG and Gasol and Noah among others. He's probably worth about 8 million a year as fair value, about the same as Chris Kaman. He is a good guy and he is solid but he doesn't have the offensive ability to justify his pay. He's not a natural scorer, very arrhythmic and disjointed.

I thought he was in the 10M range (apologies). But still he is one of the best at his position, so fair value is what the market dictates.

I agree that he is not typically a natural scorer. But neither is Noah if that's the case. Duncan and KG are in the twilight of their respective careers, still among the best, but some would say both are overpaid also.

Unfortunately there are not a plethora of real centers in the game these days. Okafor is rare in that instance. My problem with Okafor is that he seems to not run the floor when he should be, as far as fast breaks.

My issue with Okafor is that he is too redundant with Nene, both are excellent defensive bigs but with okafor being a better rebounder but being considerably offensively (although, he isn't bad). The thing is they don't compliment one another as well as they ought to. They both should be living in the post. Whenever Nene/Okafor end up taking an elbow or FT line jumper we're not maximizing their abilities. Ideally Okafor should be a back up at around 6-7 mil....but I'd rather just like draft Patric Young this year in the 2nd round and hopefully let Okafor teach him the next season. Nene really should be moved to 5 going forward, asking him to guard the new stretch 4s is a bit much and he's about as strong as most centers in this league. Millsap would pair well next to Nene I think, I don't know how to make it happen though.

Didn't watch any of the game last night, but I saw the box score. Is there anything we can blame Wall for?

If I were to nitpick, he had a couple of really bad turnovers late when the game was still in the balance. Once he just lost his dribble and had the ball taken from him, the other he threw a ridiculous cross court bounce pass that Webster didn't have a chance to catch.

I love the fact that he was in full out attack mode last night, he lived at the free throw line.

Yes. He's the reason Wittman is still the coach of this team. :)

This too.

Edited by StillUnknown

Lord we need Beal. If both Ariza and Martell aren't scoring, we can't get enough offense without Beal.
This is the gospel truth and underscores how we need another 2 next year. When Beal is not in the game we fail to keep up scoring wise.

So just for verification, The Wiz have a 1st rounder & two 2nd rounders this year, right? - The additional 2nd being from the Knicks.

I've got some thoughts on those 2nd rounders, anyone else proposed something special with them two?

Yes

If we go Porter/Shabazz in the first, I'd look at a big man and a spot up shooter in the 2nd round. Something like Mbakwe from Minnesota (NBA Ready) and Seth Curry.

If we go Noel/Zeller in the first, I'd look at a SF and still a spot up shooter. Jamal Franklin/DeShaun Thomas if he declares and Seth Curry.

What we will see is Dario Saric, Mouhammadou Jatieh, and Nemanja Nedovic.

Edited by SuperBash