Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

That's pretty much where I am. Those are the only picks I'd be happy with. Unless McLemore measures out to where they think he can guard SFs, which I doubt happens.

If we take McLemore, he's too valuable of an asset to keep on the bench. Same for Oladipo or Marcus Smart. We need to turn around and trade them immediately.

If we take McLemore, he's too valuable of an asset to keep on the bench. Same for Oladipo or Marcus Smart. We need to turn around and trade them immediately.

It all depends on what is offered. The Wizards right now need 100% health in order to avoid imploding. Adding some quality depth wouldn't hurt. I'd like to avoid having another young SG but never know how things will play out.

The problem the wizards have is that they lack any dominant players, have zero depth other than at SF, and are out of cap room. Every team has some players on the bench that aren't very good but the wizards have way too much of that. Temple, Martin, Booker, Singleton, and Vesely are terrible. Price and Seraphin are up and down, but mostly down. Without dominant players a team needs a lot of good players. Without any cap room the only way that horrible lack of talent improves is via the draft.

The future for this club past next season is very much a question mark. They aren't in a great spot at the moment.

Edited by Destino

It all depends on what is offered. The Wizards right now need 100% health in order to avoid imploding. Adding some quality depth wouldn't hurt. I'd like to avoid having another young SG but never know how things will play out.

The problem the wizards have is that they lack any dominant players, have zero depth other than at SF, and are out of cap room. Every team has some players on the bench that aren't very good but the wizards have way too much of that. Temple, Martin, Booker, Singleton, and Vesely are terrible. Price and Seraphin are up and down, but mostly down. Without dominant players a team needs a lot of good players. Without any cap room the only way that horrible lack of talent improves is via the draft.

The future for this club past next season is very much a question mark. They aren't in a great spot at the moment.

Agreed. Things were really botched this offseason with the Oakariza acquisition.

They absolutely need to hit a home run in this draft.

And like you said, they need 100% health to avoid imploding. We don't have the coaching or players to keep the ship afloat if we have to deal with injuries, etc. EG made a real mess out of this team. They'll look completely different in 2014, but next year is a HUGE question mark. If all goes well, they'll be in contention for a playoff spot. If it doesn't...we'll be fighting for another top-5 pick.

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/53718/qa-john-wall-on-elite-point-guards-the-wizards-season-and-whether-hes-a-max-contract-player

Zach Lowe interview with Wall

People have noticed lately that you’re shooting about 50 percent from the right elbow and below 30 percent, or worse, from most other midrange locations. But I checked this morning, and you only hit 31 percent or so from that spot last season, meaning it wasn’t really much better than any other spot — and it was worse than one or two.

So is this just random? Or is that spot really becoming a sweet spot for you, since you’re right-handed and can dribble right into that part of the floor?

It’s not a random thing. You know when it’s the fourth quarter, and you need a basket in an isolation situation, and you need to score, that’s where I’m comfortable. Everybody has a sweet spot where they want to get to.

So you’re officially calling that your sweet spot?

Everywhere is my sweet spot, but right now, the right elbow is my best elbow.

Do you feel like you deserve a max contract? That you’re a max guy?

I feel like I am. I do, definitely.

much more in the link

Edited by StillUnknown

I have no issue with anything Wall said. I like the confidence.

What Wall feels he should earn as a player is much different what we think as fans.

*TBH

I think there is more of a problem squandering cap space with the Oak/Ariza deal than there is if we give Wall a max deal. One is unlike the other.

Edited by RonArtest15

What Wall feels he should earn as a player is much different what we think as fans.

*TBH

I think there is more of a problem squandering cap space with the Oak/Ariza deal than there is if we give Wall a max deal. One is unlike the other.

I think you have to assume that the #1 overall pick is going to get a max deal after his rookie deal expires, whether he has truly "earned" it or not.

*TBH

Okafor and Ariza are here, getting paid what they are, largely because of a deal the team gave Arenas ages ago. He was an abolutely elite level scorer that had just suffered a big knee injury. The good news is Okariza are both done after next season.

Wall just missed half a season with a knee injury caused by over use and continues to have tendonitis in his knees despite being just 22 years old. On top of this is the fact that his play hasn't approached a level where a max contract should even be considered.

Giving Wall a max deal would be more of the same short sighted decision making we've been seeing. He needs to be traded by next season's trade dealine if he doesn't sign a reasonable extension or greatly improve his play.

Randy kept the starters in the whole first quarter?

I've got a feeling this is going to bite us in the ass. Wall, Okafor, and Martell are all playing well so far. Nene is rebounding tonight.

---------- Post added March-12th-2013 at 07:39 PM ----------

My broadcast is horrible too Destino.

---------- Post added March-12th-2013 at 07:41 PM ----------

We struggle with those moving screens. Guards start moving too soon and Seraphin really gets lazy setting them.

Waiters catching our defenders flat and we're not boxing out any more.

Bad lineup from Wittman. I don't like letting Wall play the entire first then leaving him out for half the second.

---------- Post added March-12th-2013 at 07:52 PM ----------

They're a bit slow to blow the whistles...

---------- Post added March-12th-2013 at 07:56 PM ----------

Six points so far in the second quarter. Did we score any in the first 6 minutes of the quarter?

Webster started so hot. We need more out of him and Ariza offensively in the second half.

---------- Post added March-12th-2013 at 08:15 PM ----------

Good half by Wall. His FG% isn't great but his PPS is. 16 points on 8 shots is great no matter what the fg% says.

Yeah he's feasting at the line. He's not just getting there on head down full speed drives to the basket. They are crafty moves, picking up fouls far away from the basket, mixing up hesitation with suddenness to keep defenders off balance.

He should have more assists too. Some of his passes have been breathtaking, like the entry pass to Seraphin that he missed the lay up on and the outlet pass to Nene that he should have gone up strong with but picked up the foul on the second pass to Webster.

And that breakaway layup towards the end of the half was amazing. The one where he went one on three and took off from near the FT line. He's feeling it so far tonight. Very aggressive.

---------- Post added March-12th-2013 at 08:26 PM ----------

Dammit. Freaking Gee.

---------- Post added March-12th-2013 at 08:29 PM ----------

Missing too many open shots tonight. We need to string together a couple of stops.