Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

How has Grunfeld not locked himself and Webster in a room with a wheelbarrow full of money and not let him out until he signs to stay with us?

We spend all this time talking about surrounding wall with shooters and we have a 40% three point shooter that can defend and attack the rim who is only 26. Hopefully someone doesn't offer him a boat load of money. Find a way to dump Ariza and keep this guy.

He's a tiny PF by NBA standards, 6'7 in shoes, and his wingspan while good doesn't make up for his lack of size. I think best case scenario for him is to come off the bench at both the 3 and 4 until he can get in good enough shape to play the 3 primarily.

He's short, but he's not tiny. He is wide bodied with a ton of functional strength. Built like a gorilla, thick trunk, barrel chest, very wide shoulders and big arms.

He's been playing the 5 for UNLV and just shoving everyone around, scoring inside against double teams, rebounding in traffic. He's a load.

Offensively he'll be fine. He'll light up NBA 4s with his quickness, ball handling skills and shooting range. And he'll easily overpower any 3s that actually try to put a body on him. He's like Larry Johnson in that respect. Defensively is where you might have some issues. He'll be able to stick with big SFs because he's fluid and quick but not the lightning quick smaller 3s like Terrence Ross and DeMar DeRozan, etc. And the really long 4s will be a tough cover. He's athletic though and his arm length is nice. He blocks a lot of long jumpers and can alter shots in the lane.

He's just really good. I think he's a potential star. I'd be surprised if he makes it out of the top 5 when it's all said and done. I think he, Shabazz, and Nerlens are the cream of the class and the future stars from this group. I'd probably take him second behind Nerlens. If he's on the board when we draft, we need to take him IMO.

Still no Vesely, Wittman must hate his existence.

The Czech Blake Griffin has been spotted.

I ****ing love that Beal grabbed that rebound and took it back out, ending the game.

Great game. Kinda sucks we're ruining our tank, but whatever.

Edited by MonkFan8

The Czech Blake Griffin has been spotted.

I ****ing love that Beal grabbed that rebound and took it back out, ending the game.

Great game. Kinda sucks we're ruining our tank, but whatever.

I was surprised Beal was still out there. Coming off an ankle sprain, didn't make much sense having him out there.

We gotta beat Charlotte on Monday to avoid losing the season series. Kinda depressing its even a possibility.

Edited by StillUnknown

He's short, but he's not tiny. He is wide bodied with a ton of functional strength. Built like a gorilla, thick trunk, barrel chest, very wide shoulders and big arms.

He's been playing the 5 for UNLV and just shoving everyone around, scoring inside against double teams, rebounding in traffic. He's a load.

Offensively he'll be fine. He'll light up NBA 4s with his quickness, ball handling skills and shooting range. And he'll easily overpower any 3s that actually try to put a body on him. He's like Larry Johnson in that respect. Defensively is where you might have some issues. He'll be able to stick with big SFs because he's fluid and quick but not the lightning quick smaller 3s like Terrence Ross and DeMar DeRozan, etc. And the really long 4s will be a tough cover. He's athletic though and his arm length is nice. He blocks a lot of long jumpers and can alter shots in the lane.

He's just really good. I think he's a potential star. I'd be surprised if he makes it out of the top 5 when it's all said and done. I think he, Shabazz, and Nerlens are the cream of the class and the future stars from this group. I'd probably take him second behind Nerlens. If he's on the board when we draft, we need to take him IMO.

Offensively the guy is tremendously talented but to illustrate his size issues, Kenneth Faried measured out at 6-7.5 in shoes, think about how little he looks generally when leaping around centers and other PF. I do agree with you that he's going to score in the NBA and that ultimately his problems will be more greatly felt on the defensive end. His conditioning issues and lack of effort aren't going to help him overcome his lack of size. If we drafted him I wouldn't complain at all. There is no one in this draft that I see and think "can't miss star" but a lot that I would be happy to have.

Okafor and Ariza's contracts expire after next season, so I wouldn't be pressed to get rid of them. If I had to amnesty anyone to keep Webster, it'd be Nene. I love the guy, but he's not worth that much with the injuries and all and we'll likely be drafting a guy to fill his spot in this draft anyway. I don't care how much of a teammate Nene is, if I have a choice between overpaying Webster or keeping Nene on the roster, you know where on what's best for the team going forward.

Okafor and Ariza's contracts expire after next season, so I wouldn't be pressed to get rid of them. If I had to amnesty anyone to keep Webster, it'd be Nene. I love the guy, but he's not worth that much with the injuries and all and we'll likely be drafting a guy to fill his spot in this draft anyway. I don't care how much of a teammate Nene is, if I have a choice between overpaying Webster or keeping Nene on the roster, you know where on what's best for the team going forward.

We don't have amnesty anymore, we used it on #7.

Offensively the guy is tremendously talented but to illustrate his size issues, Kenneth Faried measured out at 6-7.5 in shoes, think about how little he looks generally when leaping around centers and other PF. I do agree with you that he's going to score in the NBA and that ultimately his problems will be more greatly felt on the defensive end. His conditioning issues and lack of effort aren't going to help him overcome his lack of size. If we drafted him I wouldn't complain at all. There is no one in this draft that I see and think "can't miss star" but a lot that I would be happy to have.

Yeah, none of these guys are can't miss. But I think some of them could score like star players like Bazz and Bennett--Bazz like James Harden, Bennett like a rich man's Paul Millsap. I could see Zeller being a big scorer in the NBA too. Like LMA. Nerlens has a chance to be a franchise player IMO, and I think he's the only player in the class that would be a top pick in next year's class. His defensive potential is extraordinary and I think he'll be able to develop enough offense to score like Dwight--use quickness to blow by opponents with a couple of go to moves and score hustle buckets. I think he and Davis will split the DPOY awards for the next decade.

But someone always emerges as a surprise,

Bennett is a little different than other undersized PFs like Millsap and Faried. Manimal has a lean build and Millsap is narrower than Bennett too. Bennett is as wide as a true big man. Like LJ or ZBo. He's short but his frame is excellent and already has NBA caliber strength.

I like him because he can score in so many different ways. He'll be a source of interior scoring when Nene and Okafor are no longer viable. But he can also score from the perimeter as a wing.

Another reason I like him is that he offers us something different from Martell and Ariza. I like your plan of keeping Martell and probably moving on from Ariza and Okafor. I think you keep Nene. I don't see how you get rid of him without doing something bad and we need a true seven footer.

PG: Wall

SG: Beal

SF: Martell

PF: Bennett

C: Nene

That's pretty good. Lots of scoring. Everyone can shoot, 2-4 can hit the 3 ball, Bennett can rebound, everyone but Bennett can play D. Looks like a better version of Memphis. If Wall, Beal, and Bennett all hit their potential I think it's an honest to goodness contender.

Porter still intrigues me too. I wish I knew what he was going to look like three years from now. I want to see how big he gets when his frame fills out and if he'd be able to play a lot of minutes as a stretch 4. If so, I would consider picking him above Bennett. Better shooter, better defender, more mature. I'm completely on board with keeping Martell though and I want our draft pick to be able to get big minutes along with Martell.

It was a one time thing, to help teams after the lockout ended.

So we have to wait till after 2016, then. That sucks. guaranteed contracts seem even stupider to me now. Can we in theory resign Webster knowing it will put us over the luxury tax next year? This site shows a serious drop with Ariza and okafor gone after 2014.

http://hoopshype.com/salaries/washington.htm

Another reason to keep Martel Webster, Unveiling the Wizard

ibudxocspp5h10.0_standard_500.0.gif

"Listen, there's no copyright infringement here," Webster said when asked about the similarity to Newton's dance. "I made it up on the spot. Having some fun. It may have been Cam Newton-esque, but it definitely wasn't his move. I call it, 'Unveiling the Wizard.'"

Don't be surprised to see the pose become common. As you see in the .gif, John Wall was doing the dance on the bench right after Webster did it. It's better than the JaVale McGee salute, that's for sure.

"I may have stolen [from Newton] a little bit," Webster later admitted. "But that's my move."

http://i.minus.com/isM40fQ8tklbq.gif

That's elevation

He was prepared to block Dragic if he shot it instantly, hung in the air and still emphatically blocked it after Dragic adjusted.

That's the kind of stuff John did all of the time in his HS and AAU games. Now doing it in the NBA. He is an incredible talent.

---------- Post added March-16th-2013 at 11:34 PM ----------

It was a one time thing, to help teams after the lockout ended.

Plus I think it had to be used on guys who were on the payroll before the lockout. Nene was never an option for amnesty.

Another reason to keep Martel Webster, Unveiling the Wizard

Dang, that is fantastic. I really want to temper my excitement about this team because, well, they're the Wizards, but stuff like that makes me happy. Just wish one day soon we can play meaningful games with this much attitude and energy.

Loved the Webster move from the beginning and it's an imperative we lock him up.