Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

#BecauseWizards

If I had any faith in Grunfeld, this would be the year to trade the 1st for a reliable piece, but he is who he is.

I agree, this does seem like a good year to trade the pick. Then again this team has a lot of trading to do if the plan is greater than maybe making a run at the 8th or 7th playoff spot next season.

#BecauseWizards

If I had any faith in Grunfeld, this would be the year to trade the 1st for a reliable piece, but he is who he is.

We can get a good player at 7 or 8. I was for trading the pick for vets but with our cap situation this summer, we probably need a rookie deal. We need contract efficiency right now. Okafor and Ariza have very inefficient contracts and we want to keep Webster.

Trading the 2014 pick might be the way to go - under the assumption that the Wizards brass legitimately feels as though we have a realistic chance of making the playoffs in 2013. I say keep the pick this year...trade the 2014 first (unprotected) and bring in a quality player or two.

Trading the 2014 pick might be the way to go - under the assumption that the Wizards brass legitimately feels as though we have a realistic chance of making the playoffs in 2013. I say keep the pick this year...trade the 2014 first (unprotected) and bring in a quality player or two.

I definitely would not trade next year's pick unprotected. I don't think anyone in this year's class could be a top five pick next year. We're the Wizards. There is a strong chance we'll pick in the lottery next season.

In general I would just keep our picks. I'd want to keep a balance of vets and rookie deals. Vet deals are usually inefficient contracts and we need a roster that is about 9 deep with good players and we're only going to be able to afford that with good drafting.

---------- Post added March-15th-2013 at 09:46 AM ----------

- Zeller and Dipo on ESPN at noon

- Trey Burke and GRIII on ESPN at 2:00.

- Len, Plumlee on ESPN2 at 7:00

- Porter and MCW on ESPN at 7:00

- McLemore and Withey on ESPNU at 7:30

- McAdoo, Bullock, Snaer on ESPN2 at 9:00

- Smart on ESPNU at 10:00

- Bennett on CBSs at 11:30

I definitely would not trade next year's pick unprotected. I don't think anyone in this year's class could be a top five pick next year. We're the Wizards. There is a strong chance we'll pick in the lottery next season.

In general I would just keep our picks. I'd want to keep a balance of vets and rookie deals. Vet deals are usually inefficient contracts and we need a roster that is about 9 deep with good players and we're only going to be able to afford that with good drafting.

---------- Post added March-15th-2013 at 09:46 AM ----------

- Zeller and Dipo on ESPN at noon

- Trey Burke and GRIII on ESPN at 2:00.

- Len, Plumlee on ESPN2 at 7:00

- Porter and MCW on ESPN at 7:00

- McLemore and Withey on ESPNU at 7:30

- McAdoo, Bullock, Snaer on ESPN2 at 9:00

- Smart on ESPNU at 10:00

- Bennett on CBSs at 11:30

Would you give up our 2014 pick (plus filler) for Demarcus Cousins?

Would you give up our 2014 pick (plus filler) for Demarcus Cousins?

That's really hard to say. Cop out, but I just don't know enough to give a smart answer. I don't know what kind of market is out there for Cousins for one thing. For another, I don't know how good we are going to be next year.

- It could be that we might not even need Cousins after the draft this year.

- It could be that Cousins is a lot cheaper than we expect--Sacramento might be fed up with him and willing to dump him for 50 cents on the dollar.

- It could be that we could just get him in FA

- It could be that our 2014 pick is a lotto pick and we end up picking top three.

I think a top 3 pick in next year's class is a tough price to pay for Cousins. That player will probably end up being better than Cousins and he'd be cheaper and he probably wouldn't be the headache Cousins is.

But I think a late lotto pick or a pick outside the lottery would be a pittance to pay for Cousins. So I would protect that pick with at least top five protection.

Cousins is a big risk. He's a destabilizing element to put into the locker room. We're still a young team that hasn't fully found it's identity. He's totally dominant when he's on. But he'll get thrown out of games over silly and avoidable crap. I don't really have an issue with all his technicals, it's when he gets suspended and ejected that becomes problematic.

And if we get a big man like Zeller or Noel, I don't think it makes much sense to take a big risk on Cousins. I think he could definitely still make sense if we get Porter. I wonder how he would work with Bennett and Shabazz? Those two and Cousins need a lot of shots. Beal needs possessions too. And Wall needs to be active in the offense as well. That might be too many chiefs and not enough braves.

I would hold off on trading for Cousins until after the draft most likely. If we end up with McLemore or Oladipo, I would definitely consider dealing them for Cousins.

We can get a good player at 7 or 8. I was for trading the pick for vets but with our cap situation this summer, we probably need a rookie deal. We need contract efficiency right now. Okafor and Ariza have very inefficient contracts and we want to keep Webster.

Crazy that a team designed to max out at .500, needs a rookie contract just to be easy on the books.

Crazy that a team designed to max out at .500, needs a rookie contract just to be easy on the books.

We're spending 21 million dollars next year on Ariza and Okafor. Better than spending that money on Shard and Arenas but those two are probably worth half of what we're paying them if they were on the open market right now. If we had an extra ten million we could get at least two good vet deals with that money.

---------- Post added March-15th-2013 at 01:33 PM ----------

Dan Dakich always sounds like the drunk guy watching the game at the end of the bar.\

Zeller is playing awesome today. He's scored in a bunch of different ways and his defense is actually pretty great.

Man, as someone pointed out, it really is depressing how much of this thread is always about next year and offseason moves. It gets to the point sometimes I'd rather just watch the games and hope for the best, and think offseason when it's time to think offseason.

3pt shot for Wall, lets sign him up for the 3pt shootout next year

---------- Post added March-15th-2013 at 07:33 PM ----------

Ant Davis is too quick for our bigs, he's killing us.

Defense has to pick up, can't live giving up 30pts a quarter.

---------- Post added March-15th-2013 at 07:36 PM ----------

I would love to re-sign Webster, but it almost feels like with every 3, he gets more expensive. Still a relatively young player, he's shooting himself into a nice deal.

Davis isn't too quick, Wizards bigs are just not hustling. In fact all of the hornets are getting to the rim easily.

Three point shots are keeping the wizards in this and that's not sustainable. Defense needs to step up.

Unless the wizards draft a three early they have to keep Webster. Teams don't get better keeping the old and overpaid and losing the young and improving.

Edited by Destino

Wow, Wall hit another three. If he developed a consistent three point shot like it looks like he has in this game, sky's the limit.

Good to see the bench getting in on the scoring, especially Cartier getting his shot back a bit. Poor half defensively though.

Wall is not nearly as good a ball handler as he thinks he is. He needs to stop trying to get fancy and just keep it simple. With his speed he doesn't need trick dribbles, just keep it low and alive and he's golden.

Edited by Destino

I'm watching four games at once right now. It's taking all of my channel changing powers. Watching Len on CBS, Porter on ESPN, McLemore on the channel that is usually MASN, and the Wiz on CSN.

---------- Post added March-15th-2013 at 08:28 PM ----------

Chippy game. Wall's shooting has been ridiculous tonight. Holy crap he's feeling it.