Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

If you never add a veteran presence to a team' date=' you end up with the Bulls of the early part of the 2000s. A bunch of talented young guys who are more interested in playing video games in their rooms than watching film. OKC is the model everyone wants to follow, but they never let Nick Collison go. They dumped young talent to get Perkins. They even saw value in the corpse of Derek Fisher (which was probably a mistake because he is, in fact, a corpse).

The Wizards need to figure out the three or four young guys they are going to move forward with and focus their attention on developing them. Right now, they have two ultra-talented lottery picks who do not possess jump shots. They don't have enough coaches or time to develop ten players. I would dump half the roster for high character vets who don't need babysitting. If I have to eat a bad contract or two for a few years, so be it.

The goal right now is to convince John Wall to stay beyond his rookie deal. I don't think you can get good in the time you have left. You can become "professional" however. Being a bad and unprofessional team makes you what the Clippers have been historically. Being a bad but professional team makes you what the Pacers and Sixers have been the last few years. You won't be able to attract free agents, but you may be able to keep your own.[/quote']

Isn't that why we brought in Lewis? And Yi? And Evans? And Mason?

Well...as long as you have no expectations for him.....

Yeah...about player comparisons...it's just what style of game they have. Who they play like. It isn't a prophecy. But you knew that.

Anyway' date=' we all know nbadraft.net is a steaming pile of ****, but I'm still a little surprised they have Barnes going #2 overall. Probably MJ/UNC induced and not much thought behind it, but still.

Lewis was brought in because it was the only way to get rid of Gil.

Yi was brought in for Chinatown money.

Evans & Mason were vets, but they didn't play consistently. Hell Evans didn't seem to get healthy until the end of the year when he had to remind other teams he's a free agent.

Edited by StillUnknown

Mason and Evans maybe. I don't think that had anything to do with why we brought in Lewis and Yi. Lewis was a financial decision as well as a "get Arenas out of town" move. Yi was a low risk high reward gamble.

If we buy out Lewis and amnesty Blatche, you HAVE to give credit to Ernie for the Lewis trade. It got rid of the biggest headache in franchise history, saved money and freed us up to use the amnesty on someone else.

I guess, but it would have been easier to just not give Gil that kinda $ to begin with.

This is the wrong way to look at it.

The Wizards simply need to pick the best player who is not a PG. If there is someone else on the roster who plays that position' date=' you trade that player or dump them. No one outside of Wall and this year's #1 should be untouchable.

The Wizards do not have a roster right now. They have a collection of basketball players.[/quote']

I love MKG's mental makeup and intangibles but lets not act like he is gonna be a superstar. MKG is my #2 ranked player and if I was Charlotte I would pass as well and swing for the fences with Drummond. MKG will have a Loul Deng type impact defensively but is'nt anywhere near the shooter Deng is but he is better off the dribble.

To me I'm looking for value and someone who fits into our current team.

If MKG is sitting at #3 i'm trading back and targeting Barnes,Beal or Lamb while gaining more assets either players/or picks. Honestly Barnes,Lamb and Sully are great fits for this team in my opinion. Barnes fits into what we need and is deadly spotting up with someone like Wall distributing. But he is so frustrating to scout because when you go watch his HS videos his handles look so damn good and he constantly drains shots off the dribble. I think he is the type of guy who gets knocked like Pierce/Gay and falls and a team is gonna get a steal.

With our current roster

PG-Wall, Mack

OG- Crawford

SF-Singleton, Vesely

PF-Booker

C- Nene, Seraphin

We really don't have a true PF at all or a rebounder like TRob or 1 of my favorite players Sully. We really don't have a 2 guard. Now we have guys like Mason,Martin,Almond and Evans they might bring back at the 2. Or a Cook/ Singleton at PF but both are tweeners.

But seriously add MKG to that roster above how does that improve anything adding another SF without a shot?

Singleton and Vesely both will be good defenders and have potential to be lockdown defenders at Sf.

We need to draft a true rugged PF like TRob or Sully in a tradedown i'd prefer or a 2 guard after trading down. I'd try my best to get Klay Thompson and #7 for #3 and filler or even Steph Curry+7 for 3+filler both are lights out shooters.

This team has no really good rebounder, shooter or effcient scorer looking at that roster no wonder we suck.

Edited by Samuels

Cavs might trade up to #2

http://www.ohio.com/blogs/cleveland-cavaliers/cleveland-cavaliers-1.275356/if-cavs-want-to-trade-up-bobcats-might-be-willing-to-listen-1.310791

---------- Post added May-31st-2012 at 02:07 PM ----------

I love MKG's mental makeup and intangibles but lets not act like he is gonna be a superstar. MKG is my #2 ranked player and if I was Charlotte I would pass as well and swing for the fences with Drummond. MKG will have a Loul Deng type impact defensively but is'nt anywhere near the shooter Deng is but he is better off the dribble.

If MKG is sitting at #3 i'm trading back and targeting Barnes,Beal or Lamb while gaining more assets either players/or picks. Honestly Barnes,Lamb and Sully are great fits for this team in my opinion. Barnes fits into what we need and is deadly spotting up with someone like Wall distributing. But he is so frustrating to scout because when you go watch his HS videos his handles look so damn good and he constantly drains shots off the dribble. I think he is the type of guy who gets knocked like Pierce/Gay and falls and a team is gonna get a steal.

With our current roster

PG-Wall, Mack

OG- Crawford

SF-Singleton, Vesely

PF-Booker

C- Nene, Seraphin

We really don't have a true PF at all or a rebounder like TRob or 1 of my favorite players Sully. We really don't have a 2 guard. Now we have guys like Mason,Martin,Almond and Evans they might bring back at the 2. Or a Cook/ Singleton at PF but both are tweeners.

But seriously add MKG to that roster above how does that improve anything adding another SF without a shot?

Singleton and Vesely both will be good defenders and have potential to be lockdown defenders at Sf.

We need to draft a true rugged PF like TRob or Sully in a tradedown i'd prefer or a 2 guard after trading down. I'd try my best to get Klay Thompson and #7 for #3 and filler or even Steph Curry+7 for 3+filler both are lights out shooters.

This team has no really good rebounder, shooter or effcient scorer looking at that roster no wonder we suck.

How wouldn't MKG fit on our team when we need a SF pretty badly? I'm not following. I'll give you the potential of Vesely, but I see him as more of a 4 who can play the 3 at times. With Singleton, he had an AWFUL year...so yea, all we have is the "potential" label with him. Outside of Shelvin Mack, he looked the most lost for the majority of the season. I'm not passing on a guy like MKG because we have Singleton waiting in the wings. MKG is an IMMEDIATE upgrade over him and is a player who would provide a lot of help on the defensive end also on offense where he's really good at finishing at the rim.

I'll give you the point about rebounding. We need help there. This is why Thomas Robinson makes sense as well. I look at MKG and Thomas Robinson almost as 1a and 1b. I wouldn't be mad at either guy being on the roster. We're going to get a dynamic talent at 3, whether it's beal, mkg, or robinson. I don't like the idea of trading back at all.

If I was EG, I'd be calling to Detroit and seeing if they'd be interested in somehow swapping Blatche + filler for Ben Gordon. Gordon, while grossly overpaid, is an upgrade over Crawford and would provide some veteran leadership and professionalism. There are options out there as far as making our 2-spot better. We could throw an offer sheet at Eric Gordon (even though I think the Hornets will try to keep him), or see if Grunfeld could try to acquire a later 1st round pick (Doron Lamb) from a team who is trying to sell.

Trading down seems like an admission of defeat. And the last person I would want to draft is Sullenger. Pairing a dynamic, super-athletic PG with a PF nailed to the floor makes no sense to me.

And I still think the last thing this team needs is a lot more young pieces. Like I said, you can develop 8 guys at once.

PS

The team is weak at SG, but every team is weak at SG right now. If I'm going to have a hole on my roster, I would rather it be at a spot where few teams can exploit me. It's not like any teams in the Atlantic are exploding with dynamism at the 2 guard.

---------- Post added May-31st-2012 at 01:25 PM ----------

I

In all seriousness, why are you even considering this a team? Outside of Wall, if every player on the roster died of Avian Flu tonight, would you be THAT upset? The idea that a Top 3 pick needs to "fit" on a team this bad just seems insane to me. The team needs to fit around a Top 3 pick.

Edited by Lombardi's_kid_brother

In all seriousness' date=' why are you even considering this a team? Outside of Wall, if every player on the roster died of Avian Flu tonight, would you be THAT upset? [/quote']

Yes, you monster. Seraphin is a terrific rotation player at the 4 or 5. Nene isn't a star but he's pretty good. I won't have you killing them off just yet!

Having said that I agree BPA no matter what position they play is the right move. How you determine that is the question, like for instance what is more valuable higher floor or higher ceiling?

Edited by Destino

The problem is

MKG might not end up better then Barnes. Its very possible Barnes ends up better both defend but Barnes will score.

Beal- I honestly like Lamb way more and could see Rivers being better as well.

The value of this draft is mid lottery the difference between a guy going at #2 vs #7 is minimal at best. If I can aquire a asset to move down i'm damn sure doing it. Not only that but when workouts start alot of peoples boards will get flipped around. I rank guys based on what I watch myself not what Chad Ford spews, highlight videos or postseason workouts.

TRob- I could very easily see Sullinger/Zeller/Henson being better its not far fetched.

People can hate on Sullinger all they want because he is a plodder but that kid is a throwback oldschool bigman who can shoot,pass,rebound and play outside or inside.You can tell watching him he is a coaches son the kid is so fundamental and showed his dedication getting in shape this year and becoming a good 3 point shooter. To many of you guys just like Grunfeld get hung up on run/jump workout warriors. Sully is gonna bang on you all game.

Edited by Samuels

Honest question, but what's the difference between Jared Sullinger and Sean May? Samuels, EVERYTHING you said about Sullinger was said about May as well. We need a guy who can get up and down the floor and actually play good defense. Sullinger, is another guy who I'd want nothing to do with as far as this roster is concerned. We have some great options at #3, and trading back shouldn't even be considered.

For me it comes down to Barnes or Drummond, with lingering fondness of Sullinger. And it pains me to write this, but I believe the flourishing part of Barnes' career is going to happen in the NBA and should happen with washington.

Though somewhat disapointing in his college career, it's just that, college. When you fast-forward to just the best parts, Barnes showcased ranged from beyond the arc, a mid0range jumper, pull-up 3 point ability, occasional drive ability and above the rim.

So based on potential and perhaps hoping that a new GM and coach arrive within the next 2 or 3 years, the Barnes prime will occur with perhaps legit front office structure.

Both would be selections based on potential, by using projection rather than gaudy college production. Both selections based upon the physical and athletic upside of each.

With Branes at #3, I'm hoping for a few names at #32 - big men like Festus Ezeli, or if Melo falls there.

Mike Scott might be my choice there (32), ultimately or at 46 - just not sure.

That would be back to back ACC, but fine with me. Scott performed very well in conference this last year and a solid 2nd round selection if you ask me.

At #46 I'd consider English.

__

so at #3, for me, it's Barnes, Drummond or Sully. With Nene. I'd somewhat lean toward Barnes. Though again, it was undeniable that Drummond was physically superior to Noel in high school, I just don't have a read on where Drummond ultimately ends up, while in the league and I have to see what Noel does at UK. The wiz may still select very high again.

Edited by Monk4thaHALL

I always saw Sully as a great college player but an average pro at best. He'll produce but he won't be anything special.

What do people think about Crowder out of Marquette? I think he is the perfect role player to target in the 2nd round.

Edited by SuperBash

People can hate on Sullinger all they want because he is a plodder but that kid is a throwback oldschool bigman who can shoot,pass,rebound and play outside or inside.You can tell watching him he is a coaches son the kid is so fundamental and showed his dedication getting in shape this year and becoming a good 3 point shooter. To many of you guys just like Grunfeld get hung up on run/jump workout warriors. Sully is gonna bang on you all game.

That's what I was thinking when I posted about him earlier. Tim Duncan has not exactly been a "high flying" player, but he fundamentals you to death.

But it won't matter who we take. The team will still suck, we'll be back in the lottery again next year and we'll go another 34 years of rebuilding.

Just by me being in here and talking about who the Wizards should take still shows I care for this team and want them to win, but after 34 years, I just don't see anything that they ever do that gives me the confidence to say we can be one of the big dogs in the NBA.

Edited by pjfootballer

Honest question, but what's the difference between Jared Sullinger and Sean May? Samuels, EVERYTHING you said about Sullinger was said about May as well. We need a guy who can get up and down the floor and actually play good defense. Sullinger, is another guy who I'd want nothing to do with as far as this roster is concerned. We have some great options at #3, and trading back shouldn't even be considered.

Did watch both closely a huge difference?

For one Sully has dominated from day 1 and is much more skilled on the block with multiple low post moves. Sully also has a very good pick&roll game and nails high elbow jumpers and if that was'nt enough the kid has developed a damn good 3 point shot for a PF.

And May was derailed by microfracture surgery early in his 2nd season after showing some signs his rookie year and dominating the summer league. He was actually playing pretty well in his 2nd season before the injury getting some starts I wanna say he was averaging like 12ppg 8reb or so but i'd have to look to be sure.

I'm not advocating at all Sully at #3 but i'd love to have him after a trade down.

I would want no part of Barnes, because I don't think he has a position.

---------- Post added May-31st-2012 at 02:59 PM ----------

That's what I was thinking when I posted about him earlier. Tim Duncan has not exactly been a "high flying" player, but he fundamentals you to death.

Tim Duncan was a 7-footer who was fundamentally perfect on both ends of the court and a lot more athletic early in his career than you are giving him credit for.

Sullenger is a 6'8 below the rim player. He will figure out ways to score, I think, but a lot of his shots are going to end up in the third row.

---------- Post added May-31st-2012 at 03:04 PM ----------

I'm not advocating at all Sully at #3 but i'd love to have him after a trade down.

What are you trading down for? Are the Wizards really in "collect a bunch of young pieces" mode? Does this approach ever work?

I don't believe Ted about not trading the pick. The #3 pick is extremely valuable. A team looking for any kind of prospect will have their choice.

Hypothetically If OKC is offering James Harden, Ernie would be an idiot to turn that down.

I would want no part of Barnes' date=' because I don't think he has a position.

---------- Post added May-31st-2012 at 02:59 PM ----------

Tim Duncan was a 7-footer who was fundamentally perfect on both ends of the court and a lot more athletic early in his career than you are giving him credit for.

Sullenger is a 6'8 below the rim player. He will figure out ways to score, I think, but a lot of his shots are going to end up in the third row.

---------- Post added May-31st-2012 at 03:04 PM ----------

What are you trading down for? Are the Wizards really in "collect a bunch of young pieces" mode? Does this approach ever work?

Barnes is a proto-typical NBA SF more so then even MKG who is 2" shorter. I like the Barnes comparisons with Glen Rice honestly both have sweet strokes spotting up. Barnes needs work off the dribble but is a better finisher and defender by a mile then Rice was. Barnes is much better earlier on then Rice was he did'nt really develop until his junior year.

If we stuck at # 3 very doubtful then make the pick whoever you like but somebody will wanna move up for Drummond/TRob or MKG. If we can get a good starter + a top 10 pick then i'd do it in a heartbeat. If Portland offered #6+#11 for #3 i'm all over that or even the rights to Batum+#6 thats a easy decision. If GS offers Klay Thompson+#7 i'm all over that.

I would want no part of Barnes' date=' because I don't think he has a position.[/quote']

Really? I think he's a prototype SF. 6'9 with shoes on that can shoot from anywhere on the court. I don't think he's going to be a star player but he could end up being a good NBA shooter. Think of him as Steve Novack with more athleticism and less 3point accuracy. :)

Edited by Destino