Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

I think we'll keep the pick and either draft Drummond or MKG.

Drummond is probably going #2.

---------- Post added May-30th-2012 at 09:10 PM ----------

Can we please banish all talk about Beal being a Ray Allen caliber shooter from here on out. Ray Allen scored 23 PPG and shot 46% from three his final year at Uconn. Beal scored 14.6 PPG and shot 34% from three. He is no where near the caliber shooter or scorer Allen was coming into the NBA.

---------- Post added May-30th-2012 at 09:11 PM ----------

That wasn't really a reaction to anyone on here. It was a reaction to ESPN's absurd comparison, specifically, Doug Gottlieb's comical draft board and justification.

Beal can certainly improve. I'd love to see what his stats would have been after 3 years at Florida. He'll end up being a better shooter than 34% from 3, obviously and I think he'd be a great selection for us. MKG wouldn't really be a good selection for the Bobcats because of their roster. He is more of finishing piece for a better team, no star potential, which I think the Cats are aiming for. I agree about Drummond for them.

I look at our roster and honestly PF might be our weakest unit in my opinion.

PG- Wall - Mack

OG- Crawford

Sf- Singleton-Vesely

PF- Booker

C-Nene- Seraphin

Thats 8 that will return. Vesely is defintely a Sf in my eyes he plays good perimeter defense and lacks strenght to play big minutes at PF.

Likely to return

OG- Mason

OG- Evans?

OG- Martin?

Up in the air

Rashard

Blatche

We don't have a true PF on our roster at all even Booker is a tweener.

I would seriously trade down unless they love TRob. I personally like Sullinger/Barnes/Lamb/Rivers/Waiters+ another player/or pick then either Beal,MKG or TRob. I'd love a team like GS to wanna move up and be willing to give up Klay Thompson+#7 for #3.

This draft has 2 players with superstar franchise player upside Davis and Drummond. The rest are role players on a good team i'm sure a few of them will be very good but its a crapshoot.

I love MKG but he is a horrible horrible fit with our current roster.

Edited by Samuels

So the top 3-4 players that should go off the board are:

Davis

MKG

Drummond

Beal

Is that the common thought?

Most have Thomas Robinson ahead of Drummond because he's less of a risk. Drummond has the highest ceiling of any player in the draft, including the Unibrow, but he & Perry Jones III are the two riskiest.

Funny how EVERYONE has now turned on Ted.

I assume you are referring to my post, but he is a bit of a cheap skate IMO. He's still a great owner, IF he stays true to his word of rebuilding through the draft. I just hope he hangs on to the pick and amnesties one of Lewis or Blatche. I hope the rumors are just that, rumors...

I assume you are referring to my post, but he is a bit of a cheap skate IMO. He's still a great owner, IF he stays true to his word of rebuilding through the draft. I just hope he hangs on to the pick and amnesties one of Lewis or Blatche. I hope the rumors are just that, rumors...

Why is he a great owner?

Some may disagree but I highly doubt the Wizards will be as successful as fans are hoping for simply building through the draft.

They really need to land a good free agent signing (or good trade) - most likely they need this to happen before Wall's rookie deal is up.

Edited by Heisenberg

Not that disappointed about picking third. Figured it would be worse. Not at all surprised New Orleans won the lottery. The lotto is comically shady and predictable.

From March 18th,

I doubt we get the #1 overall pick without some serious luck. More than likely, that pick is going to a team without a franchise player. Is there any doubt that the NBA owned, Stern-managed New Orleans Hornets will get the first overall pick?

- A year with a clear cut #1 choice in Davis.

- A down on their luck franchise that badly needs a new face in order to put asses in the seats and save basketball in America's new underdog city that everyone pulls for.

- That same franchise just so happens to be owned by the NBA and they've been looking for a buyer for what, three years now?

LOL!

---------- Post added May-30th-2012 at 10:02 PM ----------

Stalin er uh Stern is so brazen. Almost as brazen as the NFL taking our money and then saying collusion never happened when they've got no reason for taking our money unless there was collusion.

It's every single year there is a clear cut number one player. Every single year!

Some may disagree but I highly doubt the Wizards will be as successful as fans are hoping for simply building through the draft.

They really need to land a good free agent signing (or good trade) - most likely they need this to happen before Wall's rookie deal is up.

I hope that happens too, just on top of us keeping our picks.

---------- Post added May-30th-2012 at 10:07 PM ----------

Why is he a great owner?

Interaction with fans and built a young, talented team in D.C. with the Caps, they just haven't done jack **** yet.

:ols:

Most diehard Caps fans I know are not huge fans of Ted. Fan interaction isn't always a great thing.

Nice guy as far as I am concerned. Will respond to emails, bantered back and forth with me for a few days and for my troubles sent a team signed hockey stick to my house with his business card.

Not sure who isn't a fan of Ted. I don't like that he hates to fire GM's but he means well.

This makes me feel a lot better...

http://www.bulletsforever.com/2012/5/30/3053980/ted-leonsis-on-missing-out-on-anthony-davis-this-fortunately-is-a

Ted Leonsis on missing out on Anthony Davis: "This fortunately is a deep draft. We won’t be trading the third pick in the draft." ‪#wizards

Michael Lee.

Just go with Beal. He can shoot, defend, rebound, pass, and play team ball. I love MKG a lot but I see Beal as the better fit.

I love MKG's intangibles and he is my #2 ranked prospect but why in the world would anybody want him on the Wizards?

That is about the only guy with a shot uglier then Walls on a team in need of pure shooters. He is a SF where we just spent 2 first round picks on that position in last years draft with Singleton and Vesely. So we got 3 SF's that can play defense and have good intangibles but can't shoot a lick makes 0 sense.

I will be shocked if Beal goes top 3 matter of fact i'm willing to sig bet anything he does'nt he is getting so over hyped right now.

The top 4 in my opinion are stone cold locks in some kinda order.

Davis

Drummond

TRob

MKG

After those 4 I could easily see Barnes going over Beal. And honestly I would'nt be shocked to see Barnes climb back up the draft boards after workouts.

Edited by Samuels

1- of course we aren't trading the pick. Rookies are cheaper and Ted's patience is financially motivated (read: he's cheap).

2- Perhaps I'm wrong but this draft is a pile of role players. The Wizards aren't the the type of team that should be looking to develop a role player over the next three years as their number 1 priority. Nene is near his expiration date and Wall is entering put up or shut up time this team has enough projects or "developing talent".

I love MKG's intangibles and he is my #2 ranked prospect but why in the world would anybody want him on the Wizards?

That is about the only guy with a shot uglier then Walls on a team in need of pure shooters. He is a SF where we just spent 2 first round picks on that position in last years draft with Singleton and Vesely. So we got 3 SF's that can play defense and have good intangibles but can't shoot a lick makes 0 sense.

I will be shocked if Beal goes top 3 matter of fact i'm willing to sig bet anything he does'nt he is getting so over hyped right now.

Davis

Drummond

TRob

MKG

After those 4 I could easily see Barnes going over Beal. And honestly I would'nt be shocked to see Barnes climb back up the draft boards after workouts.

Agreed about your top four.

But I disagree about MKG as a fit. Singleton is a role player at best and Vesely is much more of a PF than a SF. SF is still a void.

Those guys can't create offensively with the ball in their hands and MKG does a pretty good job here both attacking and facilitating. He can get to the rim and score in isolation. Brings a lot to the table as a rebounder and defender too. Plus he's a winner. You said it yourself he's your #2 player by a long shot. That's your good reason for drafting him. Go BPA. We're bad, we can use help almost everywhere.

I agree with you about Beal too. He's overrated. He doesn't create offense off the dribble. A 2 guard who can't do that will never be an All Star unless he shoots as well as Ray Allen. Beal is a good, not great shooter. Plus Beal is a little small for the position. I think he's a good player in almost all facets but he's not really great at anything except rebounding. He's not a top three talent by any stretch. We need to get a potential All Star out of a top three pick. He should go somewhere in the 5-10 range.

I think Austin Rivers has a more special skillset. That guy can create off the dribble! He's got 20 PPG scorer all over him. If we're looking for scoring, we should probably go with him over Beal.

I'm lukewarm on Barnes. I don't think he's a top five talent either. He's just not a very good ball handler and he's an average athlete. If he had some handles he'd be much more valuable. That's what's keeping him from becoming a potential Paul Pierce or Danny Granger IMO. Smart player with good length that can catch and shoot and drain some threes. But he's just not a good enough scorer or athlete to go top five IMO.

Honestly, if we don't go MKG at 3, I hope Drummond or TRob are the pick. TRob is the only guy in the top lotto range aside from Davis with monster stats last season. He's a great athlete. Good enough to be an All Star one day for sure if his game develops accordingly. Guys that aren't great athletes rarely become perennial All Stars.

As for the production, nobody aside from Davis and TRob produced enough for me to write off Drummond for lack of production and ignore the fact that he's by far the biggest physical freak in the class. The kid definitely has All Star Big potential. That could transform our franchise. Swing for the fences. We're not making a leap through the draft like the Thunder did without a bold move. Take a Russell Westbrook caliber freak athlete for his position who may be a huge project. We've got time.

1- of course we aren't trading the pick. Rookies are cheaper and Ted's patience is financially motivated (read: he's cheap).

2- Perhaps I'm wrong but this draft is a pile of role players. The Wizards aren't the the type of team that should be looking to develop a role player over the next three years as their number 1 priority. Nene is near his expiration date and Wall is entering put up or shut up time this team has enough projects or "developing talent".

Abe Pollin was cheap.

When I worked at the Cap Center, the Bullets average attendance was 4K people. The Caps averages 8-12K people. Honest Abe didn't know where his bread was buttered.

You want him to spend money, you buy tickets to the games. I know, it's a chicken and egg situation. Our area fans wont come out until a winner is placed on the field...unless it is the Redskins.

Steady Teddy will spend money when fans buy tickets to the games. Until then, we can enjoy being the NBA's doormat.

Wizards are 18th in attendance which isn't terrible when you consider they are significantly worse in winning percentage. Ted needs to approach this like the Lakers, we are going to win no matter what and everything in the way of that is chased out of town. There is no scenario in which legions of fans show up for the second worst team that everyone knew going in was going to suck and have no identity or hope.

---------- Post added May-31st-2012 at 01:01 AM ----------

I like Drummand, we need a good solid PF so we can get rid of blatche ( i dont know why we still have him? ) but i wouldnt be upset if we got MKG either

He's young and needs a lot of work. He turns 19 this year. If the coaches think he's dedicated you have to take him. Beal, MKG, and TRob project to be role players according to most scouts. Only Drummond and Davis project to be stars. Davis is far more likely to be one and is far better at everything than Drummond though.

He's a huge risk though and Kwame/Blatche comparisons have been made.

Edited by Destino

Davis

Drummond

TRob

MKG

Vesley's future is at the 4, imo an Singleton needs to develop an offensive game.

MKG is a guy I want. He is a winner and is one of the most hungriest players I have ever seen in college ball. If he drops to 3rd, he has to be taken.