Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Why do people keep insisting Derrick Williams is an NBA 4? He's said he believes himself to be an nba sf and he shot 42/74 from 3 point range his last year in college. He's got super star 3 written all over him. He's a huge sf with range and the ability to attack the basket.

Perfect world?

McGee

Kanter - Booker

Williams - Lewis

Young

Wall - Crawford

Trade Blatche and 18th. Not happening but a man can dream...

Edited by Destino

Derrick Williams's body type and strength is the reason he's discussed as a PF.

He's 250 pounds, longer than Blake Griffin, and has (tied for) the most upper body strength in the class. All of that suggests he's an NBA PF.

But his rare shooting ability and foot speed means he could be even more valuable as an enormous NBA 3 that also penetrates works the paint.

Derrick Williams's body type and strength is the reason he's discussed as a PF.

He's 250 pounds, longer than Blake Griffin, and has (tied for) the most upper body strength in the class. All of that suggests he's an NBA PF.

But his rare shooting ability and foot speed means he could be even more valuable as an enormous NBA 3 that also penetrates works the paint.

Like LeBron? 6-8, 250.

I really think we can't lose sight of the big picture. Next year's draft is stacked compared to this one. I'd look to get our 2 or 3 then. I really don't want to trade Mcgee or the 6th for the 2nd just because I don't really think there is a big difference between the talent in those two spots. If I were GM, I'd stand pat at 6 and 18. Add the best player that fits our scheme at each spot. Take our lumps next year but keep developing our young nucleus and hope to get a lottery pick next year.

Next year, we'll have a much better idea of what our team really is in terms of what roles Wall, Crawford, Young, Booker, Seraphim and Blache can really fill. Hopefully if Kanter falls we take him and hopefully add a Gilchrist/Barnes/Quincy Miller next year, when there is a draft with more talent and options.

If Mcgee were in this draft, I'd put him in front of a lot of the players expected to go in the top 10. Ernie has to consider that and thankfully he's not going to move Mcgee.

Next year

1. Wall/Crawford

2.Young/Crawford/18th Pick

3.Lewis/18th Pick/Booker

4.Kanter/Blache/Booker

5. McGee/Seraphim.

That's a young, 9 man rotation there. I'd be comfortable with that as our starting lineup going into '11.

2nd Year

1. Wall/Crawford

2.Young/Crawford/2011 18th Pick

3. Gilchrist/Barnes/Booker

4.Kanter/Booker

5. McGee/Seraphim

This would be a team that would contend for an Eastern Conference Finals with 2 or 3 years IMO.

Washington Wizards

Statistical weakness: Shooting (29th)

Weakest positions: SF

John Wall makes any horizon brighter. Yes, Rashard Lewis' exorbitant contract through 2012-13 will put a damper on the team's rebuilding plans, but there's so much raw talent on the Wizards that it's hard not to prefer their long-term outlook over those of a dozen other teams in the league. Between Wall, Andray Blatche and JaVale McGee, the Wizards have three pieces that have All-Star ceilings. The question is whether Blatche and McGee ever raise their basketball IQ high enough to realize that almost limitless potential.

This team needs a little bit of everything, but sharpening its shooting proficiency should remain the top priority. They were just about the worst squad at putting the ball in the basket, but Wall should naturally improve that ugly 42.7 effective field goal percentage as he develops his game. Moreover, it's worth convincing Blatche that the long 2 is the worst shot in the game. The team needs him on the block, not shooting four 20-footers a night at 30 percent efficiency. In this draft, Kawhi Leonard looks like a good fit at the No. 6 slot, but they need to reinforce him with an efficient shooter on the wing. Don't be blinded by the lofty point totals: Jordan Crawford is really good at shot-taking at this point, but not shot-making. Restricted free agent Marcus Thornton should be a target here, as well.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draft2011/insider/news/story?id=6671941

I don't see how he gets from "the team desperately needs shooting more than anything else" to "Kawhi Leonard is a good fit."

This article basically outlines one of the big reasons why we absolutely should not draft Leonard at 6.

Scoring 3 is the easiest major position to find in the league. Teams that settle for wings in the top of the draft often have a hard time finding all of the subsequent pieces they need later on.

Let's build the front court now that we've got a back court and then we'll worry about finding our SF in next year's deep crop.

---------- Post added June-17th-2011 at 02:51 PM ----------

Answering one of my questions from earlier about the Euros and their contracts:

-- It looks like Bogdan Bogdanovic is another Euro that's under contract with a foreign team for several more seasons. It might take him a while to get over here. He signed a deal with Fenerbahce Ulker this year.

-- Jan Vesley is under contract with Partizan Belgrade until 2013. He'll need a buy out to come over sooner. There's a shot he plays the 2011-2012 season in Europe.

-- Jonas Valanciunas apparently has a big buy out of $3 million which I think he has to pay out of pocket. He'll be spending more time in Europe then.

-- Couldn't find any information about Montiejunas' contract situation.

-- As far as I can tell, Bismack's contract with his Spanish team is up and he's a free man.

-- Both Nikola Mirotic and Davis Bertans have been talked about as options to spend more time in Europe before they come over but I can't find any information about their contract situations.

All in all, we shouldn't really shy away from taking a Euro with a prohibitive contract this year because

1.) the lockout is probably going to wipe the season out anyway

2.) we're rebuilding and have time to properly develop our high picks if we need to

Edited by stevemcqueen1

The only big that might be good is Kanter. The rest look like hot garbage, especially Vesely. D-Will is a possible star player and a star SF is not easy to come by. 6-9 large body players with 3 point range and speed are rare in any draft. The wiz need one of those two. Kanter being a much bigger risk.

Vesely is Blatche trying to play SF.

Edited by Destino

No. Like you literally can't trade him. Or any upcoming UFA/RFA for draft picks.

You can't trade an RFA? ****. Well tender him then. No reason to let him walk. He's not going to be that expensive with less than a year of starts. Trade him later if you need to.

---------- Post added June-18th-2011 at 03:36 AM ----------

A player of Derrick Williams's caliber comes out every year. He's good, but he's not that special. Watch the youtube breakdown by DX and the Jazz guy of his strengths and weaknesses. It's a bit troubling that Williams always has to take off from two feet to get that lift. He's a fairly quick and explosive player for his size but when you get into star SF territory, it's not that special...

Spaces are going to be much tighter in the NBA. His shooting % will also come back to earth once he starts shooting far more outside shots in the NBA (huge benefit from a small sample size)--if he's pegged to play the 3 that is.

I like Williams and I think he could be an occasional All Star playing along side Wall. But even I'm not going to go so far as to declare him a can't miss talent and I wouldn't give up all that much to draft him. Michael Gilchrist and Anthony Davis are better than he is. Then throw in the depth behind him. Quincy Miller being labeled "baby KD?" Harrison Barnes, Perry Jones, and Terrence Jones all coming off sophomore seasons where they can make great strides and put up the kind of numbers DWill did. James McAdoo perhaps getting a chance to show off next year as a key reserve on a good team.

Next year is flush at the 3. Don't build your team by getting your forwards before your other positions or else you end up like Minnesota this year. We've got our PG and a pretty decent center. Find a PF that compliments McGee's talents and can score, i.e. Kanter or even Valanciunas. We'll get our top scoring wing next year if need be.

And don't settle for Kawhi Leonard at 6. That's one of the worst plans of all. The guy is not a scorer. He's a defender and rebounder, AKA Trevor Booker style rotational player. SFs that can't score are not high lottery picks. A high lottery SF has got to be an elite scorer, or else you're just wasting your time because there will be a better one next year. We'd be better off taking almost any of the Euros or even one of the scoring 2s like Burks or whoever. I think Kanter will be there, but if he's not, then take Valanciunas and just let him play in Europe for a season or two while he develops. One of the foreigners has to be there at 6. Cleveland and Toronto will almost certainly take a forward at 4 and 5 but Utah can't really do it at 3 without moving Millsap, Favors, or Jefferson.

http://twitter.com/JayBilas/statuses/82043251569328128

We don't have to worry about John Wall emulating MJ and playing MLB: wapo.st/lt69Ik. About like Carl Lewis singing the National Anthem.
Wall blamed the awful throw on the nearly hour-long rain delay putting his arm on ice. He also told reporters that he played shortstop until giving it up in high school. He must’ve lost his touch over the past seven years. “That was my All-Star game bounce pass right there,” Wall said, though his connection with Blake Griffin during the Rookie Challenge was much more accurate. “I will come back out and redeem myself sometime soon.”

LOL

THE STICKER IS STILL ON HIS NATS FITTED

Edited by ixcuincle

Damn.....:(

Danny in :

I heard that Greg Oden has had "interventions" to deal with the mental aspect of things while injured. Any idea what an "intervention" for Oden might mean?

Steve Kyler:

Greg developed something of a drinking problem... it got pretty bad and friends and family stepped in... he is still rehabbing, but to fall from grace as hard as Greg has, I still find it amazing he hasn't given up, lesser people have.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/chat.asp?chat_topics_id=1700&status=Inactive

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH

I'm really curious as to what his value is going to be in the FA market. He could be a steal for MLE type money, yet if his injuries keep him off the court, that's dead salary basically.

---------- Post added June-18th-2011 at 10:15 AM ----------

Ivan Carters tweet:

http://twitter.com/#!/washpostlive/status/74677871846756352

@washpostlive

washington post live

I'm still convinced the Wizards could have beaten Cavs in 2007 had Gerald Wallace not fallen into Arenas' knee. And Det wanted no part.

I've been saying this for a long time. That Wizards team would have made it to the NBA Finals that season. What a shame.

I'm really curious as to what his value is going to be in the FA market. He could be a steal for MLE type money, yet if his injuries keep him off the court, that's dead salary basically.

---------- Post added June-18th-2011 at 10:15 AM ----------

Ivan Carters tweet:

http://twitter.com/#!/washpostlive/status/74677871846756352

I've been saying this for a long time. That Wizards team would have made it to the NBA Finals that season. What a shame.

+1

---------- Post added June-18th-2011 at 03:04 PM ----------

Interesting......

What makes Vesely arguably the best and most well-rounded international prospect is his ability at the defensive end. Vesely has proven himself to be a reliable defender in Europe and his talents should transfer over thanks to his great size and legit NBA athleticism.

According to Synergy Sports, Jan performed very well in iso possessions, where he held his opponents to 36.4% shooting and a third of the iso possessions end in a turnover. Shows good balance and footwork on the perimeter. Great agility for guy his size, keeps his feet underneath his hips well.

His post-up defense graded out just as well--held his opponents to 26.7% shooting. Though, Vesely will need to add a few lbs. to his frame to better guard post-ups in the NBA.

Like Valanciunas, has a little aggressive streak to his game that gets him in some foul trouble. Crashes the offensive glass very well and is a put-back artist.

Vesely has all the tools to be a quality starter in the NBA. If he can refine his shooting touch, won't be surprised if he has a career equal to Derrick Williams.

*--(Synergy Sports Technology provided data for this post)

http://thepaintedarea.blogspot.com/2011/06/2011-international-draft-prospect_17.html

---------- Post added June-18th-2011 at 03:18 PM ----------

chadfordinsider Biyombo then goes to the Pistons on Tuesday and will visit Knicks on Wednesday. There's his range 5-17
@DraftExpress The Knicks are hoping Biyombo drops to them at 17. That's unlikely, so they're exploring moving up. May have to jump ahead of Warriors at 11
@DraftExpress The Dwight Howard sweepstakes have begun. Golden State offered Ellis, Biedrins and Udoh. Unlikely that'll get it done
.chadfordinsider Combing back through my notes from Eurocamp. Valanciunas measured 7'0"/245 lb with a 7-4 wingspan & 9' 3" standing reach there.
@DraftExpress Minnesota continues to explore trade opportunities for the #20 pick. They won't outright sell it. Still looking for a "veteran big man."

Vesely does'nt rebound at all despite being 6-11 in a far less physical league that to me is a huge?

I personally think we need tough, strong, rugged, physical guys for this team that play defense and rebound. The cream of that crop is guys like Leonard,Singleton,Faried,Morris twins and Tristan Thompson. I would'nt be shocked at all if the pick is someone like Thompson he is a athlete that will fit right into the up tempo style and from what i've heard had a great workout for us.

We have enough scoring on this team we have guys like NY1,Crawford and Blatche that are gonna take alot of shots. Then Wall will continue to improve offensively I can see him at 20ppg very easily.

We need some 3 point shooters but a healthy Rashard and NY1 should help there.

We definitely do not have enough scoring. We've got three pretty inefficient scorers and a PG that can score when he needs to. After that we've got absolutely nothing.

---------- Post added June-18th-2011 at 04:15 PM ----------

I think you've got to take a chance in this class and go for one of the top three foreign players at 6. One of them has got to still be on the board. At this point, I don't really know who is the best out of Kanter, Vesely, and Valanciunas. I'd be happy with any of them I guess. I lean towards Valanciunas and Kanter because they are legit bigs and can probably play center. Vesely is more of a 3.

I don't think any of the NCAA guys after Irving and Williams have the potential to be above average starters. I don't want to settle for a low upside pick, especially not at SF because when we pick in the lottery next offseason, I guarantee the BPA by far will be a SF and he'll be better than the wings in this year's class by a fair margin.

We definitely do not have enough scoring. We've got three pretty inefficient scorers and a PG that can score when he needs to. After that we've got absolutely nothing.

---------- Post added June-18th-2011 at 04:15 PM ----------

I think you've got to take a chance in this class and go for one of the top three foreign players at 6. One of them has got to still be on the board. At this point, I don't really know who is the best out of Kanter, Vesely, and Valanciunas. I'd be happy with any of them I guess. I lean towards Valanciunas and Kanter because they are legit bigs and can probably play center. Vesely is more of a 3.

I don't think any of the NCAA guys after Irving and Williams have the potential to be above average starters. I don't want to settle for a low upside pick, especially not at SF because when we pick in the lottery next offseason, I guarantee the BPA by far will be a SF and he'll be better than the wings in this year's class by a fair margin.

NY1 was very efficient scorer this year and shot a good percentage considering his shot selection is suspect sometimes. Crawford looks to be a legit scorer and he will become more efficient lets not forget the kid was a rookie. Blatche has the ability especially if he is in shape but is still a huge question mark but I think people forget the guy is only 24 without any college development. Shard will average 12ppg.

This team has enough guys who look to score if thats what were looking for then look at guys like Marshon Brooks that can break you down 1 on 1.

This is a soft team they need more grit guys doing the dirty work the stuff that wins games. There were a ton of games we lost at the very end because we could'nt get a stop,rebound or make that hustle play. I'll take guys like Leonard and Faried all day because you will have to work your tail off or they will break you because they are relentless effort players. And lets not forget Leonard is only 19 that kid is gonna get alot better.

I want high energy, high effort guys that stuff is contagious. I don't wanna try to draft someone hoping for the next Dirk he's a once a decade type Euro. The worst part the best Euro big in reality probably was playing at USC putting up great numbers and might be available at #18.

This team needs to draft sure things not take leaps of faith if that guy is only a solid 10 year starter i'll take that.

I think this team has enough scoring too but I don't think they have that one guy who can make life easier in the fourth quarter. Maybe Wall develops into that type of player but who knows. Last year, it seemed like we were neck and neck with a lot of good teams until it would all fall apart in the last 5-6 minutes of games.

We have to focus on improving defense and rebounding. This has to come from the big men already on the roster. I think our guard defense was ok for the most part. We got really good defense from the SG position and Wall improved a lot. It's up to guys like Blatche, McGee and Booker to help strengthen the interior.

This is one reason, I might be okay with Leonard at #6. Quite frankly, based on what I read and the little I've watched, he sounds like a guy you take in the latter end of the lottery or in the high teens. But the two things he provides are something this team needs: rebounding and tenacious defense.

Edited by No Excuses

I know a guy who works at the verizon center and he said from what he has been told we are extremely high on Tristan Thompson. I also found it interesting listening to Charles Barkley raving about Tristan a few months back being better then Williams was as a freshman. Barkley is a huge Arizona homer so it was surprising. Tristan is one of those up tempo type of bigs we maybe looking at.

I personally like Leonard alot he does everything very well especially rebounding and actually has a good postup game. He is very long for a 3 and will make our frontline really long and help McGee and Blatche on the boards. Once that jumper improves ala Wall he is gonna be a fantastic #2 or 3rd option on a good basketball team. I would take him over every Euro but Kanter.

I personally would look to drop back just a few spots somewhere between 7-13 while picking up a vet player that can help or stockpiling future picks.