Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

You know who else had a "dumb" b-ball IQ...Tyson Chandler. Operative word: "had."

And you know who has had a pretty ****ty career? Especially for a #2 overall pick? Tyson Chandler. Let's not put him up on a pedestal here. And does he have the success he's having today if he doesn't flounder in Chicago for half a decade before being run out of town? Does he have this success if he doesn't battle injuries in New Orleans and Charlotte? Let's not act like patience and time is all it takes.

DraftExpress Jonathan Givony

A wise GM says: "The fact that Minnesota is pushing this Kanter at 2 stuff so hard tells me that it has absolutely no chance of happening."

---------- Post added June-22nd-2011 at 11:51 PM ----------

This comes from a Timberwolves fan.

by shrink on Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:40 pm

I don't buy it at all. I think Kahn is messing with WAS, trying to get them to remove any hope that Kanter could fall to them at 6.

Ronzone (wolve's assistant GM) had a meeting with ticketholders a couple nights ago, and had had lots of love for Javale McGee.

BTW, I don't think it will confuse WAS, and I also think this is a smokescreen. Ronzone had said for the previous weeks that MIN would draft the BPA, and sort it out later.

That means Williams or Irving at the 2.

Why do I keep seeing this nonsense about Kyrie Irving being a better "pure point" than John Wall? John Wall who averaged 8.3 assists as a rookie on this crap team? Why is Irving a better pure point? Probably some bit of inane minutiae like, "he has a better middle gear."

they gotta fill time or print space with something

frankly anyone who thinks Irving is a better prospect than Wall, needs to do something other than evaluate talent

And you know who has had a pretty ****ty career? Especially for a #2 overall pick? Tyson Chandler. Let's not put him up on a pedestal here. And does he have the success he's having today if he doesn't flounder in Chicago for half a decade before being run out of town? Does he have this success if he doesn't battle injuries in New Orleans and Charlotte? Let's not act like patience and time is all it takes.

Yeah but Javale wasn't a second overall pick so he's not working with the same sort of expectations. He also had two years of college so, amazingly, he came into the league a more mature player. I don't think Javale's career arc will take as long to come to fruition as Chandler's. But I do think he can be as good as Chandler is now at some point.

Yeah but Javale wasn't a second overall pick so he's not working with the same sort of expectations. He also had two years of college so, amazingly, he came into the league a more mature player. I don't think Javale's career arc will take as long to come to fruition as Chandler's. But I do think he can be as good as Chandler is now at some point.

Exactly...and at 23, McGee is LIGHT YEARS ahead of Chandler (when he was that age) in terms of development. I think he reaches that point of being competent on the defensive end much sooner than Chandler did.

And SM brought up a good question....we move McGee, so who fills the void at the 5?

What do you think of the 6 and 18 for 3 with the Jazz? I've been hearing that on the radio. That pretty much guarantees us either Kanter or Williams and puts a lot of pressure on Kahn and the Twolves

I say go for it....if we need a late 1st, the Wizards can look to buy a pick or trade their #34.

Exactly...and at 23, McGee is LIGHT YEARS ahead of Chandler (when he was that age) in terms of development. I think he reaches that point of being competent on the defensive end much sooner than Chandler did.

And SM brought up a good question....we move McGee, so who fills the void at the 5?

That's the crux of it. We're not going to trade JaVale because there's no one to replace him that's readily available and there is no one in this class worth assuming a huge void at the 5 for.

I say go for it....if we need a late 1st, the Wizards can look to buy a pick or trade their #34.

That makes sense to me. At this point it's more important that we get the right guys than the most ones. We've got so many young first rounders in development on the roster right now that we can barely use multiple first round picks from now on.

Exactly. The differences between Chandler and McGee are pretty biig. Chandler's current state, and the path it took to get there, tells us nothing about McGee's future. The only similarities is that they're both tall and athletic.

Look, I'm not for trading McGee. Don't get it twisted. Certainly not for anyone in this class--incliding Derrick Williams (who I think is immensely overhyped). I am however pessimistic about McGee. Extremely so. I still have some hope for him (unlike Blatche) but I think a lot of you are doing what fans do: be homers.

I posted this before but I think it deserves a repost.

Marc Gasol 26 years old: 11.7 pts, 7.0 rebs, 1.7 Blk, 16.88 PER, $3.4M salary (obviously getting a raise)

Nene 28 years old: 14.5 pts, 7.6 rebs, 1.0 blk, 20.49 PER, $11.3M

Tyson Chandler 28 years old: 10.1 pts, 9.4 rebs, 1.1 blks, 18.45 PER, $12.75M

Kendrick Perkins 26 years old: 5.1 pts, 7.9 rebs, .9 blks, 9.6 PER, $6.4M

Javale 23 years old: 10.1 pts, 8.0 rebs, 2.4 blks, 17.42 PER, $1.6M with $2.4M next season and a $3.4M qualifying offer in 12/13

edit: Tyson Chandler's season at 23 years old: 5.3 pts, 9.0 rebs, 1.3 blks, 12.2 PER

So I'll offer that up as what I believe to be the common sense that Javale McGee should be untouchable for the next two seasons if only as a cheap big body. Yet it's a cheap big body with unlimited upside

The question you have to ask is: would a combo of Kanter and Williams be better overall for the team than Kanter and McGee, or McGee and whoever we'd take at 6 and 18? I think so. Wall, Williams, and Kanter would be an excellent "big 3" to build around, as it'd give us our playmaker/distributer, slasher/scorer, and post presence. Couple in Crawford and Booker coming in off the bench and we'd be well on our way to returning to the playoffs.

I'm not as sold on McGee as some people. I see a guy who continues to make the same dumb mistakes and a guy who won't truly work hard or ever develop the natural instincts and IQ to be great. People talk about Chandler but Chandler had to be traded a few times before he ever reached his potential. I'm not saying we should completely give up on McGee, but if dealing him reshapes our team for the better, I'd do it. Let me state though that I'd only trade McGee if we're somehow able to get both Williams and Kanter. Trade McGee for the #2 straight up, then trade 6 and 18 for 3 or 4 and get Kanter. If not, I'd rather just keep McGee and/or go the McGee/Kanter route.

I posted this before but I think it deserves a repost.

And this is why I don't think it would be too wise to give up on McGee at this point. I compare McGee to Chandler because it took Chandler a little bit of time to figure it all out on the defensive end. McGee is a bit different because IMO he's MUCH further along in his development at 23 than Chandler was. We've seen bone-headed plays from McGee, but we've also seen flashes of brilliance. There's hope with him. He's not a total lost cause. If so, EG & Co. wouldn't be as opposed to dealing him to Minnesota who REALLY wants him. I'm optimistic in the sense that I do believe he'll figure it out sooner, rather than later. Young, athletic bigs are a dime a dozen...

Anyways...let me ask you all. Let's stay we draft Kanter. Where does Blatche fit in the equation? Do the Wizards start Kanter right off the bat at the 4, or does he sit behind Blatche for the time-being until he's moved. I know we've discussed it before, but Blatche on the bench is a no-win situation. He'll probably sulk and not give his all. We want to showcase the guy as much as possible to get him out of here....You gotta figure Blatche see's the writing on the wall if the Wizards take Kanter.

Wall, Williams, and Kanter would be an excellent "big 3" to build around, as it'd give us our playmaker/distributer, slasher/scorer, and post presence. Couple in Crawford and Booker coming in off the bench and we'd be well on our way to returning to the playoffs.

We'd be awful defensively in the front court...there needs to be something else there.

Edited by RonArtest15

Where is the baseline for saying something like McGee keeps making the same dumb mistakes? Keep in mind this was McGee's first season as a starter and he didn't even start the whole year.

Not only that, McGee's play after the All Star break is night and day better than before, you can't say he's not improving (and improving rapidly for that matter).

I don't really think Wall/Williams/Kanter is a good big 3. I think it's a superstar PG and two above average forwards with fringe All Star potential. Let's be realistic here: John Wall, Michael Beasley, and Mehmet Okur.

Javale would go 3-5 in this year's class. Moving him and whoever we get at 6 and 18 for DW and EK really isn't that much of an upgrade (if at all since you've taken a loss at your 5).

Better to go with Kanter or Valanciunas if the price is right, keep our center, and wait until 2013 to get a SF who'll probably be better than DW outright.

We wouldn't be a finished product, but there is always future FA and drafts to address needs. And McGee isn't exactly a stud defensively. Yeah he blocks shots but he also has horrible rotations and his low IQ lead to lots of easy baskets for the opposition.

I do think ultimately we will trade 6 and 18 to move up to 3 and get Kanter.

I compare McGee to Chandler because they've got similar builds and levels of athleticism and skillsets. McGee's ceiling is about the same as Chandler's. But I think it's likely McGee gets to his ceiling at a very different point in his career than Chandler did (who I didn't think came into his own until New Orleans).

I compare McGee to Chandler because they've got similar builds and levels of athleticism and skillsets. McGee's ceiling is about the same as Chandler's. But I think it's likely McGee gets to his ceiling at a very different point in his career than Chandler did (who I didn't think came into his own until New Orleans).

Honestly, I think Javale's ceiling is much higher than Tyson's.

Obviously, we don't know if he'll reach it but I'd sure like to find out. :)

2012 is when we should target a SF....not this year, and I'm OK w/ passing on Derrick Williams who is adamant about playing the 3. I've seen comparisons from Granger to Al Harrington. I think Williams is going to be a solid pro, but I think we can do just as good or better with our selection next year (assuming we go for a SF in round 1).

Honestly, I think Javale's ceiling is much higher than Tyson's.

I think Javale's defensive potential is that of Tyson Chandler...but he has a much higher overall upside (when you factor in offense).

Edited by RonArtest15

The question you have to ask is: would a combo of Kanter and Williams be better overall for the team than Kanter and McGee, or McGee and whoever we'd take at 6 and 18? I think so. Wall, Williams, and Kanter would be an excellent "big 3" to build around, as it'd give us our playmaker/distributer, slasher/scorer, and post presence. Couple in Crawford and Booker coming in off the bench and we'd be well on our way to returning to the playoffs.

I'm not as sold on McGee as some people. I see a guy who continues to make the same dumb mistakes and a guy who won't truly work hard or ever develop the natural instincts and IQ to be great. People talk about Chandler but Chandler had to be traded a few times before he ever reached his potential. I'm not saying we should completely give up on McGee, but if dealing him reshapes our team for the better, I'd do it. Let me state though that I'd only trade McGee if we're somehow able to get both Williams and Kanter. Trade McGee for the #2 straight up, then trade 6 and 18 for 3 or 4 and get Kanter. If not, I'd rather just keep McGee and/or go the McGee/Kanter route.

I think paring McGee and Kanter together would be insanely more effective than Williams/Kanter. Plus you can't take away the fact that Wall and McGee already has some chemistry. I know Kanter has injury questions, but I am willing to risk the pick because the reward is so high.

What do people see in Williams? I just don't understand it. Dude has bust written all over him. I'll eat the crow if I am wrong.

Anyways...let me ask you all. Let's stay we draft Kanter. Where does Blatche fit in the equation? Do the Wizards start Kanter right off the bat at the 4, or does he sit behind Blatche for the time-being until he's moved. I know we've discussed it before, but Blatche on the bench is a no-win situation. He'll probably sulk and not give his all. We want to showcase the guy as much as possible to get him out of here....You gotta figure Blatche see's the writing on the wall if the Wizards take Kanter.
No you have to let Kanter come off the bench early on. Kanter is too young to take on that kind of role early on and he's coming off of two seasons without basketball. Blatche should start, not just because we need to showcase him for trade, but because he'd be a much better player than Kanter early on.

I don't think Blatche is a disaster off the bench though if he's a 6th man on a winning team. He'd still get a lot of minutes and guys in Blatche's caliber shouldn't get pouty about playing solid minutes for a good team.

We'd be awful defensively in the front court...there needs to be something else there.

Yeah wow. Blatche and Kanter? That's an achilles heel that'd be pretty easy to exploit.