Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

If Dwight was scheduled for UFA one or two years later than he is, then I'd say we actually have a bit of a chance at getting him. As it is, we're not going to be good enough in time to interest him.

Look for the top young rookies, sophomores, and 2011 rookies to have interest in coming to DC to play with John Wall. Those are the guys in our window.

I tell you this McD. he aint staying in Orlando.

He's in Orlando for 3 reasons, that no other team in the league can compete with:

1. No state income tax. Only Miami and Toronto can say the same. And he sure as hell isn't going to Toronto. On any other team in the league, he takes a large cut in pay. Do you want to work for less money? Yeah, neither does he.

2. He has one of the richest owners in all of sports. According to Forbes, he is the 257th richest person on earth. He spends Dan Snyder's net worth in a weekend in Vegas. No one will spend more to win a title.

3. Not only does he play in the nicest arena in the league, but the team is willing to rename the arena to "The Dwight House." As in, the White House. He will be the first and only current player in any sport to have ever had an entire arena named after him.

There is absolutely nothing on earth that a team like Washington could ever give him that would be enough. LA is the only other contender--mainly due to his interest in movies, and his admiration of Kobe.

Edited by McD5

Chris_Broussard Chris Broussard

I'm told Minny taking D Will if don't trade no. 2 pick...Kanter talk is a smokescreen..

No chance S Nash goes to NYK or Minny....Ray Felton to Sac for No. 7 a possibility...

Minny denying internally that it's fired Rambis, but he's gone....TWolves should hire former player and Coach of Year Sam Mitchell...

As far as Odom, Teams worried he won't b happy or motivated outside of LA. That's decreasing his value on market....

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH

He's in Orlando for 3 reasons, that no other team in the league can compete with:

1. No state income tax. Only Miami and Toronto can say the same. And he sure as hell isn't going to Toronto. On any other team in the league, he takes a large cut in pay. Do you want to work for less money? Yeah, neither does he.

I don't think this is that big of an issue. If it were then why doesn't every FA ever want to go to Orlando? Shaq left. Hedo Turkoglu left(ironically to play in Toronto). They weren't able to get Tim Duncan in '99. I'm not saying Orlando isn't a nice place to play and live, but it isn't God's gift to Earth either.

2. He has one of the richest owners in all of sports. According to Forbes, he is the 257th richest person on earth. He spends Dan Snyder's net worth in a weekend in Vegas. No one will spend more to win a title.

This is irrelevant in a league that will soon have a hard cap.

3. Not only does he play in the nicest arena in the league, but the team is willing to rename the arena to "The Dwight House." As in, the White House. He will be the first and only current player in any sport to have ever had an entire arena named after him.

I haven't heard about this, but I doubt this would make him want to stay. Why would he play for a team that he feels won't be a winner just because the arena is named after him? If anything it'll make him and the franchise seem like an even bigger joke.

Ultimately though I do agree with you McD5, he won't come to Washington. He'll go to LA or he'll stay in Orlando. I could see Atlanta being a possibility because he's from there, it's a warm weather area, and the team is decent, but there is no way they could afford it with their cap situation barring some kind of miracle. Only way he'd consider a team like ours is if we somehow made a quality playoff run(like Memphis this year)with all our young talent, as a combo of a more developed Wall and Howard would be absolutely dominant.

People said that when Shaq was a FA too. On top of that the biggest free agent signing was Tracy McGrady. Even Hedo didn't want to sign back after his playoff run in 09.

Yeah, how has that worked out for him in recent years.

3. Not only does he play in the nicest arena in the league, but the team is willing to rename the arena to "The Dwight House." As in, the White House. He will be the

first and only current player in any sport to have ever had an entire arena named after him.

Seriously? :ols:

There is absolutely nothing on earth that a team like Washington could ever give him that would be enough. LA is the only other contender--mainly due to his interest in movies, and his admiration of Kobe.

I guess a young talent like John Wall and countless other solid pieces would appease a center who could anchor a paint on his own.

I am not about to hijack the Wizards thread either. We could finish this in the NBA thread.

Edited by MLSKINS

Why?

Just a feeling I have. I think players are gonna want to play with Wall--the (soon to be) best true PG in the league and one of the best in recent history. I think players are gonna want to play for Ted. We have the cap space: our cap situation is probably one of the best in the league. I think playing in front of Obama helps. I think DC is a GREAT city (Orlando? Lol.) that doesn't get its due respect and we're due something big and something good. Anyone big time who's come here has ultimately ended as an utter failure--Jagr, Stubblefield, Jordan, Haynesworth, Webber, McNabb, etc. We're just due.

You keep saying that and a part of me beileves you. How do you think it will happen? I can't imagine any scenario, unless the Magic wants McGee and a pick. :whoknows:

I think it would be damn near impossible for Smith to trade him to a division rival but who knows. We have dealt within the division before--Atlanta and Orlando just last year--so we do have a history. I think he'll come as a FA but if a trade is the only way, I think we do have pieces. Much, MUCH more than anything LA has to offer. It's not even close really. Trading Dwight means an automatic rebuild for Orlando. We have decent youngsters that could be appealing. McGee, Crawford, Young, Blatche, Booker, Seraphin. The Lakers have...?

Edited by G.A.C.O.L.B.

Why the hell would Dwight Howard want to go to LA? People keep saying this and it makes no sense to me at all.

Andrew Bynum - Would have to be traded to get Diwght.

Pau Gasol - 30 and showed massive slowing this year.

Ron Artest - 31

Kobe Bryant - 32 (an OLD 32, as in 15 years in the league already)

Derek Fisher - 36

If they trade for Dwight it will likely include Bynum and Odom/Gasol at least. That leaves Dwight with a aging Kobe and Ron Artest. Championship? Not exactly a sure thing.

Check out OKC's payroll http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=9133

If Dwight is a free agent playing with Westbrook (22) and Durant (22) is a situation that will bring championship after championship. This ridiculous notion that you have to play in New York or LA to get endorsement money is laughable. It's 2011 people the communication age in is full swing. There are no "unknown" towns anymore. Lebron was on ever channel from friggin Cleveland. Miami could trade Lebron for Dwight. They won't because they are too stubborn to see reality but they could IMO.

There are other options besides OKC but LA is a team on the down slope and they don't have a single player that promises a bright future other than Bynum (who is far from a super star).

Edited by Destino

1. No state income tax. Only Miami and Toronto can say the same. And he sure as hell isn't going to Toronto. On any other team in the league, he takes a large cut in pay. Do you want to work for less money? Yeah, neither does he..

Holy ****, I can't believe you just claimed that Toronto offers tax relief. You really don't know what you're talking about. I mean wow.

http://johnchidleyhill.com/?p=286

---------- Post added June-22nd-2011 at 11:13 PM ----------

If we don't get Dwight, we will get Blake Griffin. I'll perma-ban myself if neither of them end up here.

(That's how sure I am.)

Edited by G.A.C.O.L.B.

Howard is star struck by LA. It has nothing to do with the Laker roster itself but just being able to play for the Lakers and in Hollywood.

Not sure if I believe that. Playing in LA is sexy in large part because they've always been good. Looking at the team now things aren't looking bright. Did you know that Kobe, Bynum, and Gasol cost 58,854,150 next season? That's more than the entire payroll for OKC or the Washington Wizards. They cost 62,940,000 the year after that.

Not sure if I believe that. Playing in LA is sexy in large part because they've always been good. Looking at the team now things aren't looking bright. Did you know that Kobe, Bynum, and Gasol cost 58,854,150 next season? That's more than the entire payroll for OKC or the Washington Wizards. They cost 62,940,000 the year after that.

They always seem to find ways to be in contention though, whether it's trading for high picks with teams that suck to get Magic Johnson and James Worthy to add to already good teams in the 80s, to landing Shaq in the 90s, to the gigantic rip off that was the Gasol trade a couple years back. The Lakers are pretty much always relevant, as much as it pains me to say it.

They always seem to find ways to be in contention though, whether it's trading for high picks with teams that suck to get Magic Johnson and James Worthy to add to already good teams in the 80s, to landing Shaq in the 90s, to the gigantic rip off that was the Gasol trade a couple years back. The Lakers are pretty much always relevant, as much as it pains me to say it.

The problem right now is that there is talk of a hard cap. Those contracts aren't going to be easy to move if any such cap is instituted (which is why I think they won't). Plus Orlando needs to just face the music and decide of Dwight is going to stay or not. If they think not then tell the league they'll take less talent in return but they have to take both Dwight and Arenas. That $37,154,708 off the books.

Bynum and Odom would only cost them $23 million and both have expiring contracts (team option) the season after that. I doubt the Lakers would do it as their salary would eclipse 100 million and even under a soft cap that has to hurt. If they are dumb enough to do it however Orlando is in position to rebuild with a strong team in the mean time.

Much better than how they came out of the Shaq debacle.

Someone remind me again how we got these idiots to trade for Arenas? lol Lewis has 32 million promised to him over the next two seasons. Arenas has I believe 60+ million over the next three years.

Edited by Destino

Someone break down LA's trade offer for Dwight. Cause I don't see one.

There isn't any. That is why I think that Dwight will ultimately sign as a Free Agent in LA if the Magic doesn't deal for him. Whoever does trade for Dwight has to find a way to get him to sign an extension.If he doesn't, I will not make the trade.

o Lol, I'm so loving the NBA right now. Complete opposite of the NFL. I couldn't give a damn about the NFL labor negotiations and lockout, but I'm beyond curious to see what goes down with the NBA's. The first is just rich vs rich trying to figure out who's gonna get richer the most/fastest. The NBA seems like it's going to be something that actually improves the league (not saying that's the motivation--obviously it's still money--but that certainly is going to be the result. Drastic changes.)

---------- Post added June-22nd-2011 at 11:48 PM ----------

There isn't any. That is why I think that Dwight will ultimately sign as a Free Agent in LA if the Magic doesn't deal for him. Whoever does trade for Dwight has to find a way to get him to sign an extension.If he doesn't, I will not make the trade.

What's the cut off point in a potential Wiz trade for Dwight?

WSH: Dwight

ORL: Crawford, NY, Blatche, McGee, two 1sts

Do you do it? If so, when would it be too much?

o Lol, I'm so loving the NBA right now. Complete opposite of the NFL. I couldn't give a damn about the NFL labor negotiations and lockout, but I'm beyond curious to see what goes down with the NBA's. The first is just rich vs rich trying to figure out who's gonna get richer the most/fastest. The NBA seems like it's going to be something that actually improves the league (not saying that's the motivation--obviously it's still money--but that certainly is going to be the result. Drastic changes.)

---------- Post added June-22nd-2011 at 11:48 PM ----------

I don't want to trade for Dwight at all.

I'd rather keep our young players and just build that way.

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH

Plus Orlando needs to just face the music and decide of Dwight is going to stay or not. If they think not then tell the league they'll take less talent in return but they have to take both Dwight and Arenas. That $37,154,708 off the books.
I don't think any team can get close to that trade in salary with expiring contracts for the trade to be desirable and pass.
Someone remind me again how we got these idiots to trade for Arenas? lol Lewis has 32 million promised to him over the next two seasons. Arenas has I believe 60+ million over the next three years.

Otis Smith is a moron. When Dwight Howard walks, I think you can most of the blame for it at Smith's feet. What a load of awful deals he made and the Arenas trade is the cherry on top.

---------- Post added June-23rd-2011 at 12:21 AM ----------

You've got to find a way to keep another perimeter scorer. Wall and Dwight couldn't do it all themselves. You need to either keep Crawford/Young or the ability to get a quality SF/SG in the draft.

Besides, keep in mind that Orlando's hands are tied. They've just got to take the best offer they can get for him because they can't keep him. And if he doesn't agree to sign an extension with us then absolutely do not trade for him (doing so and having him walk would flatten our roster and induce Wall to leave).

All that said, Otis Smith is far too stupid to actually trade him.

I don't want to trade for Dwight at all.

I'd rather keep our young players and just build that way.

That works in the NFL. Does it work in the NBA?

Dallas - traded for/signed: JKidd, Marion, Chandler, Terry, D Steezy, Haywood, Peja, etc. I think the only "homegrown" talents are Dirk and Barea

Lakers - traded for/signed: Gasol, Artest, Fisher, Odom, etc. I know they technically traded for Kobe but I'm marking that down as homegrown. So Kobe and Bynum.

Boston - A lot of their guys were homegrown (Pierce, Rondo, Perkins, etc) but they'd be no where without trading for KG and Allen

Spurs - Lucked into Duncan. Ginobili and Parker were great picks. They still needed to sign guys.

Miami - Shaq

LA - Shaq

Spurs - Lucked into Duncan

Bulls - Lucked into MJ, great pick in Scottie, traded for or signed key pieces like Rodman, Ron Harper, Longley, Kerr, Bill Cartwright, Hodges, etc. And weren't adverse to trading homegrown talent like Horace Grant or Charles Oakley.

Rockets - Had to trade for Clyde before they could win one with Hakeem

On and on.

If you can make a move for one of the best players in the game--without giving up the farm--you do it. And you don't think twice about it. Especially when it's a big man. I thought both the Knicks and Jersey got a bit ripped in the Melo and Williams deals. Dwight's on another level though.

---------- Post added June-23rd-2011 at 12:31 AM ----------

You've got to find a way to keep another perimeter scorer. Wall and Dwight couldn't do it all themselves. You need to either keep Crawford/Young or the ability to get a quality SF/SG in the draft.

Besides, keep in mind that Orlando's hands are tied. They've just got to take the best offer they can get for him because they can't keep him. And if he doesn't agree to sign an extension with us then absolutely do not trade for him (doing so and having him walk would flatten our roster and induce Wall to leave).

All that said, Otis Smith is far too stupid to actually trade him.

That wasn't an actual trade proposal. That was four random names I threw out there to get the conversation started on my question--when does it become too much?

Yeah I agree in the NBA you either have to be really lucky or at some point or another dip into FA/trades. I don't think it's our time for that just yet though. If Howard were a FA in, say, 2013 though it'd be perfect, as our young corps will have developed into at least a mid tier playoff team by then and Rashard's deal will be completely off the books.