Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

no because if you watch him play a game last season, he blows at playing defense and gets constantly worked by everyone down low.

---------- Post added June-16th-2011 at 02:07 PM ----------

regardless of what your stats say, he blows right now.

Support this or don't bother to post. Otherwise your just spewing bull****.

---------- Post added June-16th-2011 at 02:29 PM ----------

The stats may seem nice and everything, but if you watch games every night you can tell that his defensive performance is extremely poor and there seems to be no improvement in that category. Blatche's lack of defense probably doesn't help, though.

McGee's defensive performance is in line with a player at his age at his position with his experience. McGee was leaps and bounds better in every way this season than he was as a rookie and sophomore, There has definitely been improvement.

McGee's growth and development have been comparably to Tyson Chandler's and they're similar athletes with similar skillsets. I think it's very realistic that he reaches a Chandler-like plateau in a few seasons which would be excellent production from your center. You can win a championship with that level of play at your 5 so long as you have good players at your other positions and good scoring forwards.

How long did the team wait on Brendan Haywood? McGee is a lot better than Haywood was at a similar point.

chad ford on the wiz:

I think Derrick Williams is the target. Though I've heard they also are big Kanter fans. Is JaVale McGee worth that to them? He's a knucklehead, but he'd probably be ranked very, very high in this draft too.

If they stay at 6 ... Kanter, Vesely and Kawhi Leonard are the favorites. But there are two dark horses here as well: Klay Thompson and Tristan Thompson. I'm told both are seriously in the mix in Washington. The Wizards had eyed Klay at No. 18 before his stock went through the roof at workouts. They'd really like another shooter in the backcourt with Wall.

Cavs are looking at potential deals using the No. 4 pick and either Baron Davis or Ramon Sessions. Jazz looking for deals. Would be open to discussing Paul Milsap or Devin Harris. Wizards looking to add talent around John Wall.

chad ford on possible twolves trades:

"Hoping a trade comes along ... they've been playing it cool. Not initiating any trade talk. Keeping up the public face that they're keeping the pick. But I think they'll move it if they get the right pieces. They have a lot of interest in the Lakers' Pau Gasol. Also might bite if Wizards offer JaVale McGee. They want long, athletic players to run the floor with Rubio."

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH

Saying he's a top 15 C isn't really saying that much, there are only, what 30 starting Cs in the league? If you're not in the top 15 you're below average. ;)

Let me help. What other top 15 center are you going to get for $2,462,400? That's what McGee makes next season.

Here take your pick:

Nene, Denver Nuggets - $11.4 million – Early Termination Option ($11.6 million)

Marc Gasol, Memphis Grizzlies - $3.6 million – Unrestricted*

Tyson Chandler, Dallas Mavericks - $12.6 million – Unrestricted

Yao Ming, Houston Rockets - $17.7 million - Unrestricted

Joel Przybilla, Charlotte Bobcats - $7.4 million – Unrestricted

Samuel Dalembert, Sacramento Kings – $13.4 million - Unrestricted

Greg Oden, Portland Trail Blazers - $6.8 million – Restricted ($8.8 million Qualifying Offer)

Spencer Hawes, Philadelphia 76ers - $3.0 million – Restricted ($4.1 million Qualifying Offer)

Nenad Krstic, Boston Celtics - $5.7 million – Unrestricted

Tony Battie, Philadelphia 76ers - $1.4 million – Unrestricted

Kyrylo Fesenko, Utah Jazz - $1.1 million - Unrestricted

Erick Dampier, Miami HEAT - $1.1 million - Unrestricted

Zydrunas Ilgauskas, Miami HEAT - $1.4 million - Unrestricted

Jeff Foster, Indiana Pacers - $6.7 million - Unrestricted

Nazr Mohammed, Oklahoma City Thunder - $6.9 million – Unrestricted

DeAndre Jordan, L.A. Clippers - $0.9 million – Unrestricted*

Kurt Thomas, Chicago Bulls - $1.4 million – Unrestricted

Francisco Elson, Utah Jazz - $1.1 million – Unrestricted

Hilton Armstrong, Atlanta Hawks - $0.9 million - Unrestricted

Aaron Gray, New Orleans Hornets - $0.9 million – Player Option ($0.9 million)

Jamaal Magloire, Miami HEAT - $1.4 million - Unrestricted

Dan Gadzuric, New Jersey Nets - $7.2 million - Unrestricted

Ryan Hollins, Cleveland Cavaliers - $2.3 million – Player Option ($2.5 million)

Kwame Brown, Charlotte Bobcats - $1.3 million – Unrestricted

Theo Ratliff, L.A. Lakers - $1.4 million - Unrestricted

Etan Thomas, Atlanta Hawks - $1.2 million – Unrestricted

Jason Collins, Atlanta Hawks - $1.2 million – Unrestricted

Eddy Curry - $11.3 million - Unrestricted

Hamed Haddadi, Memphis Grizzlies - $1.8 million – Unrestricted*

Alexis Ajinca, Toronto Raptors - $1.5 million – Unrestricted

Those are the best PGs I can think of from the past few decades. Looking at the numbers, I think the only rookie who you can make a strong case had a better year than Wall is Chris Paul. I think Isiah probably presents a strong case too, but I think the fact that Wall beats him in 3P %, FT %, rebounding by a lot, blocks, turnovers, and assists is enough to offset the minor differences in FG %, scoring, and steals.

Rose's ridiculous FG% aside, I think the fact that Wall beats him so soundly in almost everything else but scoring and turnovers is enough to tip it for Wall. After that, Wall basically makes all of the other PG rookies look like scrubs in comparison, which is interesting because his supporting cast is probably the worst of any of them and he was only 20 and a lot of these other guys are older and Rose, Stockton, Payton, and Nash all played for playoff teams as rookies.

uhm.. you dop realize that a rookie playing for a team full of scrubs gets MUCH MORE playing time than a rookie coming into a good team.. right?

SamAmicoFSO Sam Amico

Scout on Jimmer: "I don't care who you are, you can't guard him. He is too shifty. How rest of game translates to NBA, I don't know."

---------- Post added June-17th-2011 at 02:56 AM ----------

The Wizards are "desperately" trying to move up to No. 2 in the draft, according to FOX's Sam Amico.

The Wolves are going to want the No. 6 pick plus talent, and rumor has it they are asking for talented center JaVale McGee. The Wizards have been developing McGee and have seen flashes of serious ability, so it's unclear if they'll bite here.

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH

There's no way I'd take that chance.

I''ll pass on Williams.

Agreed. Destino's list rams home how bad the market for centers is. McGee is already better than 4/5ths of the names on that list and he's far cheaper than anyone else with his level of ability.

Derrick Williams is a good player but next year's lottery is full of forwards who can score. Better to take what we can get at 6 and hold out for a scoring wing in 2012 and keep our center. Six + McGee is outrageous in this class and Minnesota doesn't have a 2012 first to give back to even the deal.

Minnesota can't take anyone at 2. They are screwed. They can't take a PG. They can't take DWill without moving Michael Beasley at the very least and then they still need to figure out what to do with Kevin Love and Wesley Johnson. Johnson is a 3 and Love is a 4, their forward spots are entirely spoken for--Derrick Williams is not an option for them. Even Kanter is a crap option for them because he doesn't fit well in a front court with Kevin Love.

Minnesota has absolutely no leverage here, we don't need to go and lose any trades to them.

---------- Post added June-17th-2011 at 12:07 AM ----------

Thats too much.

Yeah, even for Blatche. :ols:

Agreed. I wouldn't make that deal either. Future picks don't need to be put on the table in addition to our firsts this year.

They're not going to get Javale and picks if I'm dealing because they're in a sorry draft position and there is very little demand for their pick. Derrick Williams is not a can't miss forward prospect. There is comparable and superior talent likely available in next year's lottery. 6'8 guys who can score are almost a dime a dozen compared to the other positions so you only move up for that type of player if he's truly special--like Durant or Carmelo special. Otherwise, the next few great forwards will be out there next year.

Who else wants the #2 pick anyway? Cleveland? They'll get a forward they want at 4 without having to move around at all.

Nick Young is the piece that makes the most sense for Minnesota to trade for since they'll need a true 2. Build a package around him if you're going to do anything. Find a way to either increase our lottery power in 2012 or keep 6 this year. NY + 18 + 34 would be my best offer. If Minny didn't take it then oh well...

---------- Post added June-17th-2011 at 12:12 AM ----------

uhm.. you dop realize that a rookie playing for a team full of scrubs gets MUCH MORE playing time than a rookie coming into a good team.. right?

Wall still beats just about everybody but Chris Paul on a per minute basis. And the statistical benefits a PG of all positions receives from playing higher minutes as a rookie are more than offset by having bad teammates. Wall was asked to do more than anyone else and he rose to the occasion like basically only one other rookie PG has the past two or three decades.

This was posted by someone on another board.

I think it illustrates WHY you don't trade Javale.

Marc Gasol 26 years old: 11.7 pts, 7.0 rebs, 1.7 Blk, 16.88 PER, $3.4M salary (obviously getting a raise)

Nene 28 years old: 14.5 pts, 7.6 rebs, 1.0 blk, 20.49 PER, $11.3M

Tyson Chandler 28 years old: 10.1 pts, 9.4 rebs, 1.1 blks, 18.45 PER, $12.75M

Kendrick Perkins 26 years old: 5.1 pts, 7.9 rebs, .9 blks, 9.6 PER, $6.4M

Javale 23 years old: 10.1 pts, 8.0 rebs, 2.4 blks, 17.42 PER, $1.6M with $2.4M next season and a $3.4M qualifying offer in 12/13

edit: Tyson Chandler's season at 23 years old: 5.3 pts, 9.0 rebs, 1.3 blks, 12.2 PER

So I'll offer that up as what I believe to be the common sense that Javale McGee should be untouchable for the next two seasons if only as a cheap big body. Yet it's a cheap big body with unlimited upside

This was posted by someone on another board.

I think it illustrates WHY you don't trade Javale.

I would trade Crawford before I traded McGee. Not that I want to trade Crawford. Wall, Crawford, McGee, Kanter, Booker. That is a lineup that can D you up, rebound and score. And they are all YOUNG.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wizards-insider/post/wizards-arent-considering-dealing-javale-mcgee/2011/06/17/AGxB5hYH_blog.html

Wizards aren’t considering dealing JaVale McGee

The Minnesota Timberwolves may want JaVale McGee in any swap for the No. 2 overall pick, but the Wizards have no interest in moving the incredibly athletic, 7-foot-1 center, according to two sources with knowledge of the team’s thinking.

In recent weeks, both Jonathan Givony of Draft Express and ESPN.com’s Chad Ford have mentioned McGee as a player Minnesota covets. But while the Timberwolves have asked for him, dealing McGee isn’t considered an option for the Wizards in order to move into the top three in the June 23 NBA draft, the sources said. Trading McGee hasn’t even been discussed internally, according to the sources -- especially since many within the organization believe that the 23-year-old McGee would be deemed a top three-to-five pick if he were in the draft this year.

The Wizards may have interest in moving up to getting a desired player, but this draft -- with so many question marks from top to bottom -- isn’t the one that would convince the team to sacrifice McGee, a player that it has spent the past three years developing into a serviceable center in a league that is experiencing a dearth in talent at that position. With so much uncertainty atop the draft, the Wizards believe that a player that can help the team might very well be available at the sixth pick.

The Timberwolves have made it no secret that they are willing to move the pick, with versatile 6-foot-9 forward Derrick Williams the mostly likely choice and forwards Kevin Love and Michael Beasley the two best players on their roster. Williams and Enes Kanter both worked out for Minnesota, though not against each other, on Thursday. After seeing both players, Timerwolves assistant general manager Tony Ronzone told the Associated Press, “I think everything is open. Everything is wide open.”

McGee is coming off a season in which he averaged career highs of 10.1 points, 8 rebounds and finished second both in block shots (2.4) and in the slam dunk contest. And while he frustrated Coach Flip Saunders and others on his staff with his occasional loss of focus and desires to take off and dribble, McGee is considered a part of the Wizards’ future. He is eligible for an extension this summer.

McGee could use another quality big man to push him and take away the sense of entitlement that some within the team believed kept him from repeating the same mistakes. But while McGee remains a work in progress, the Wizards anticipate that process to continue to Washington.

We're definitely in a bind. Crawford and Young, the two players who are somewhat expendable that Minny would want, we can't trade according to the ESPN trade machine. Young is a FA, and Crawford was acquired during last season so we can't move him either. I think the only way this is going to happen if its a 3 way deal with Minny getting a SG from another team. It could work with Minny getting the 6th pick and the Shooting Guard, 3rd Team getting Blatche, and the 34th pick, Us getting the 2nd and maybe 1 player from Minny.

We're definitely in a bind. Crawford and Young, the two players who are somewhat expendable that Minny would want, we can't trade according to the ESPN trade machine. Young is a FA, and Crawford was acquired during last season so we can't move him either. I think the only way this is going to happen if its a 3 way deal with Minny getting a SG from another team. It could work with Minny getting the 6th pick and the Shooting Guard, 3rd Team getting Blatche, and the 34th pick, Us getting the 2nd and maybe 1 player from Minny.

That's the best situation for us, but I think it's unlikely. I don't want to give up both Blatche and the 6th pick for only #2 in return. #2 just isn't that valuable IMO. Plus trading Blatche and 6 to draft Williams means we're putting a lot of eggs in the basket that Williams is best utilized at PF. I'm not sure that's the case. He might be much better as an oversized 3 in the NBA and moving Blatche and 6 for him means we've got no starting caliber PF. Neither Williams nor JaVale are excellent defensive rebounders--a much higher proportion of their total rebounds comes from their offensive rebounding than is the norm. So our best all around lineup would probably keep DWill at the 3 to give him space to shoot, run screen and pops/rolls, and on defense lock down opposing 3s with his size; keep a rebounding machine type PF on defense who is comfortable working in tight spaces on offense (Kanter to a T); keep Javale defending the rim and also creating space for the perimeter guys.

If we're going to move up to get Derrick Williams, I think we've got to find a way to do so without giving up Javale and #6 if you want the move to be a total success. It's not the end of the world if we have to pass on Williams and settle for finding our wing next year. We're not even entirely sure that DWill will be the best wing in this class after all. Vesely has as much potential as he does. And there are probably 3 wings in next year's class that would be ranked ahead of each if they had been draft eligible this year (Anthony Davis and Michael Gilchrist for sure, probably Quincy Miller too, maybe Harrison Barnes and Perry Jones as well).

We might be best off in the long term just standing pat. Extend NY, keep Crawford, McGee, and Blatche, draft the best Euro or Kanter at 6, and look to next year to find our 3. That leaves you with something like this:

1 - Wall, Crawford

2 - Young/Crawford

3 - Gilchrist/Davis/Barnes/Miller, Booker

4 - Kanter, Blatche, Booker, Seraphin

5 - McGee, Kanter, Seraphin

That's a better depth chart than this:

1 - Wall, Crawford

2 - Young/Crawford

3 - Booker/2012 pick?

4 - Derrick Williams, Booker

5 - McGee, Seraphin

That's the best situation for us, but I think it's unlikely. I don't want to give up both Blatche and the 6th pick for only #2 in return. #2 just isn't that valuable IMO. Plus trading Blatche and 6 to draft Williams means we're putting a lot of eggs in the basket that Williams is best utilized at PF. I'm not sure that's the case. He might be much better as an oversized 3 in the NBA and moving Blatche and 6 for him means we've got no starting caliber PF. Neither Williams nor JaVale are excellent defensive rebounders--a much higher proportion of their total rebounds comes from their offensive rebounding than is the norm. So our best all around lineup would probably keep DWill at the 3 to give him space to shoot, run screen and pops/rolls, and on defense lock down opposing 3s with his size; keep a rebounding machine type PF on defense who is comfortable working in tight spaces on offense (Kanter to a T); keep Javale defending the rim and also creating space for the perimeter guys.

If we're going to move up to get Derrick Williams, I think we've got to find a way to do so without giving up Javale and #6 if you want the move to be a total success. It's not the end of the world if we have to pass on Williams and settle for finding our wing next year. We're not even entirely sure that DWill will be the best wing in this class after all. Vesely has as much potential as he does. And there are probably 3 wings in next year's class that would be ranked ahead of each if they had been draft eligible this year (Anthony Davis and Michael Gilchrist for sure, probably Quincy Miller too, maybe Harrison Barnes and Perry Jones as well).

We might be best off in the long term just standing pat. Extend NY, keep Crawford, McGee, and Blatche, draft the best Euro or Kanter at 6, and look to next year to find our 3. That leaves you with something like this:

I personally want Kanter over trading assets for Williams, but I hate low IQ bonehead players like Blatche so I dont mind giving him up. Also, I dont think Kanter will be there at 6 and we need someone to take some of the load off of Wall. On the solid rebounding hardworking player note....

Paul Millsap is available for trade

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/06/16/report-utah-jazz-open-to-trading-millsap-harris/

Dude averaged 17.3 pts and 7.6 rebs last year and would fit great into our line up. As for actually trading for him...its going to take quite a bit but he's only 26 so it might be worth it. I would happy to give them Blatche and the 18th, but it might take more than that. Giving up the 6th would probably be too much for my liking unless we get the 12th pick back or something along those lines. I might be getting stingy here, cause hes a stud inside. Probably another team will have to get in on the action to make it work. Our lineup could look like this:

C- McGee

PF- Millsap

SF- Crawford(3guard-lineup)/Booker/Leonard (if we keep the 6th)

SG-Young

PG-Wall

Lots of scoring there. Defense would be somewhat suspect which is why I inserted Leonard because a defensive minded SF would be our pick then. Booker fits the mold too.

Edited by GameWinner

I'm not crazy about Millsap. He probably peaked this year. I'd rather just wait for Jared Sullinger next year if that's the kind of player we want to target.

In general, I'd prefer to find either a really athletic PF in the mold of Derrick Williams and Blake Griffin or a really big one in the mold of Kanter. Short and slow doesn't excite me.