Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

7 hours ago, purbeast said:

So glad that Sunday is not a sweep game and rather a game to tie the series.  It's going to make going to the game A LOT more fun.

I hope, and EXPECT, that place to be a mad house. Crowd, Wall, and Beal all jumping in those soft ****s faces fight from the get go!

• Like 1

Needed that win more than anything.  The chemistry issues on this team were rearing their heads.  They played inspired basketball.

The Raptors are a better team and they're hungrier.  And more disciplined.  Their bench is very cohesive and they can wear us out with that deep front court.

But when Beal and Wall play to their potential, they are the best players in the series and we are tough to beat.  This one might go to seven.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

But when Beal and Wall play to their potential, they are the best players in the series and we are tough to beat.  This one might go to seven.

Want your opinion. Last night opened my eyes that Otto does not work with them. Wall and Beal work together best when they are moving fast and have a quick trigger. They are best when letting it fly. Otto does not work that way. Starting to actually consider trading him even for less talent may be worth it for us if we want Wall and Beal to play like they did last night. 

2 hours ago, Llevron said:

Want your opinion. Last night opened my eyes that Otto does not work with them. Wall and Beal work together best when they are moving fast and have a quick trigger. They are best when letting it fly. Otto does not work that way. Starting to actually consider trading him even for less talent may be worth it for us if we want Wall and Beal to play like they did last night. 

Just because he's not scoring in volume doesn't mean Otto isn't making us a lot better.  He's a nine win share player.  That basically means if you got rid of him without replacing him we would win nine fewer games a season.

Just because he's not scoring in volume doesn't mean Otto isn't making us a lot better.  He's a nine win share player.  That basically means if you got rid of him without replacing him we would win nine fewer games a season.

He's also wildly underrated on defense.  Otto was everywhere defensively in the second half and few notice it because he's not flexing afterwards or doing it by trying to smother someone individually (which usually results in a foul call).  

He has been a let down offensively though.  Watching him go after loose ball, rebounds in traffic, or wrestle with much larger players trying to post him up shows the "passive" label is a bad fit.  Otto is not passive.  Otto simply chooses the options least likely to end in a negative result even if it reduces his role.  That decision making combined with his having no confidence in his ability to dribble through traffic or contact result in Otto simply refusing to dribble the ball.  Overly aggressive close outs that should result in good midrange shots for him, do not.  He passes it away instead.  He won't post up smaller players and try to get to the rim because he can't dribble through contact, so he'll catch and launch a much more difficult fadeaway instead.  

What im saying is that Otto needs to borrow Beal's brothers this summer.  He needs them to beat his up while he tries to dribble his way to the rim, just like they did with Beal.  Maybe worth out with Livingston a bit and learn the secrets to dribbling as a bean pole in the NBA.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TryTheBeal! said:

When’s the last time an 8 beat a 1 by 20 points?

Gotta be rare.

It is:  2006, Bucks was the 8 and still lost the series 1-4.   Last time 8 seed beat a 1 seed by 17+ was 2012, Sixers was the 8 and won series 4-2.

3 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Where are you seeing 9?  I keep seeing 8.

Either way, Lillard and Towns are top 5 and getting straight embarrassed in the first round right now.  Are you bringing this stat up in regards to the regular season and us even making it to the playoffs?  How does the stat matter in the playoffs?

I didn't see anyone touch my comment on Lowry having 5 fouls and constantly switching onto Otto when he was waiting around the 3 point line in the corner.  Otto didn't ask for the ball and nobody was trying to get it to him so he could either use his size against Lowry and draw a 6th foul or just try to get an open shot, because even though that was Lowry's guy, he wasn't really close to him (wouldn't of made it to Otto in time).  That bothers the hell out of me, but we aren't helping ourselves in terms of making our expectations of Otto clear when Brooks have a meeting with only 2 of his 3 max players before a must win-game.

I swear, its like we gave Otto max just so we would't lose him, not because we are really treating him like our 3rd star.  He does little things to make up for it, like has been mentioned about his defense last night, but is that really worth a Max Contract?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Destino said:

What im saying is that Otto needs to borrow Beal's brothers this summer.  He needs them to beat his up while he tries to dribble his way to the rim, just like they did with Beal.  Maybe worth out with Livingston a bit and learn the secrets to dribbling as a bean pole in the NBA.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say I believe Wall and Beal already tried this themselves, everybody saw it, and it didn't go well. 

That's why Wall was talking about Paul George and why Brooks didn't involve Porter in his meeting with our other two max players before Game 3.  Beal and Wall, for better or worse, are savage alphas, and why I have problems with the "lack of leadership" label.  Brook doesn't seem to understand how to curtail that for the best interests of the team outside of basketball, he just knows to get them the ball more.

That mentality is why I think they all like Morris over Porter, even if they won't say it, while Porter is still more talented them him.  Below is an article about the "Death Row Records" thing that came out last year.  If you do a ctrl-f on the article, Porter's name doesn't appear once:

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/1990s-rap-label-helped-inspire-wizards-turnaround-005941028.html

What I'm saying is I think the team all ready knows something that we aren't ready to admit.  You're second paragraph breaks down beautifully why they probably respect him, but I'm sure they are at their wits end of what to do to get him to be that third star we truly need right now.  Somebody probably told him he makes too much to be one of the most efficient hustle players in the NBA as his ceiling, that probably didn't go well either. He's playing like a great role player making max, but I'm sorry, that's not good enough. 

We're asking Porter to be something he's not, and giving him max increased the pressure of our expectations that were probably off-base to begin with (something everybody in the building probably realizes now, but not sure what to do).  I'm sure everybody loves the guy, but to get someone like PG at SF, we'd have to get rid of him because he makes to much now to have both.

Edited by Renegade7

11 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

Where are you seeing 9?  I keep seeing 8.

You're right it was 8 this year.  He had 9 last season.  Point remains, 9 win shares is All Star production.  Otto produces for us like an All Star even when we do nothing for him on offense.  He's tremendously valuable to us.

I'm tired of constantly nitpicking and fretting over the players we have that are actually good.  We had a disappointing season.  Our transcendent DPVE contract player got hurt at the beginning of it and the injury wrecked his year.  Our secondary and tertiary stars carried the team in John's absence but are not good enough individual talents to drag this particular team above .500.  Our young, good bench perimeter players stepped into larger roles than they'd ever played before and they are too inexperienced to handle them with consistency.  All of this **** is natural and we don't need to be second guessing any of these guys because they are good players.  We need to face the real problems with this team and demand they be fixed: our starting PF is below average and takes 30 games off a season.  Or more accurately stated: Morris is not a good enough player to not suck for 30 games a season.  Our coach and GM are weak.  Our centers are ****ing disasters who can't hang and give us zero production and cost us 35 million dollars a year.  These problems are all related.  Scott's too god damn dumb to realize Mahinmi should be playing over Gortat.  Ernie's too god damn dumb to find us a center worth a damn.  And Gortat, Mahinmi, Jason Smith, Morris, and Mike Scott are too god damn lousy and stiff to not get their asses outplayed by almost every front court match up we face.  These are the direct causes for why we're not that good.

You're right it was 8 this year.  He had 9 last season.  Point remains, 9 win shares is All Star production.  Otto produces for us like an All Star even when we do nothing for him on offense.  He's tremendously valuable to us.

And Gortat, Mahinmi, Jason Smith, Morris, and Mike Scott are too god damn lousy and stiff to not get their asses outplayed by almost every front court match up we face.  These are the direct causes for why we're not that good.

Two valid but completely separate points.  

We walk into every game with two guns pointed at our feet every time we walk into a game with that front court.  Everybody knows that and isn't arguing against it.

My problem is given how bad that is, it's easier to ask Porter to simply try to score more and the team to try to get him the ball more  We've all seen him go off, we know he can do it, that's what makes it even more frustrating.  He's averaging less then 15 points a game.  If he's scoring 20+, are we still the 8th seed this year?

You're mad at Ernie for building that front court to begin with, and wonder why people are mad at Porter versus directing our ire at that.  You know why, Ernie isn't going anywhere and probably can't get that right anyway.  We need Porter to help make up for that more then we want to.  We're not at the "acceptance" phase with Porter that we are with Ernie, yet.

I just want him to shoot more, his efficiency is so high that I don't care if goes down a little, it will still be one of the best on the team and it'll be worth it.

Edited by Renegade7

On 4/20/2018 at 7:28 PM, Renegade7 said:

@GOSKINS_08 @TryTheBeal! @ixcuincle  Can’t tell if anyone else at the game, but I’m in 417.  Down with meeting up after, let me know, otherwise I’m taking metro back to Springfield to kick it with family before I head back to Hampton roads

Sorry for seeing this late, I didn't end up going

Probably not going to go to any games 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Skin'emAlive said:

Sorry guys, I was far too blitzed to use a phone or link up Friday. The Space Dust on draft on the 400 level is lethal. 

Forgot I was at the game. Felt like I was still at home lighting up lol