Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Nene is the anti-Kevin Love at PF in some ways. Never chases numbers, just plays good basketball. Huge body, great feet, strong as a bear, elite defensive player. Accountable and mature locker room presence and solid leader.

I'm not going to name names but I'm almost positive there were folks on here who were swearing off following the Wiz as long as Ernie was in charge as a result of the Javale/Nene trade. Maybe I'm remembering wrong but I don't think so

Nene owns Noah like nobody else.

Noah can't handle his strength and size. There are few players in the league with Nene's combination of strength, size, skill, and quick feet.

I think Chuck once said that Nene is one of the few players in the league that other players are physically afraid of. You can't put a price on having an enforcer like him. He's our Rick Mahorn.

I'm not going to name names but I'm almost positive there were folks on here who were swearing off following the Wiz as long as Ernie was in charge as a result of the Javale/Nene trade. Maybe I'm remembering wrong but I don't think so

Sounds like a typical emotional over-reaction from our fan base. I think I probably said the same after that Shard for Okariza trade that I HATED at the time. I've never been a true Ernie hater, but I did lose confidence in him and his leadership, especially his ability to establish a winning culture for the organization. I thought to myself, how on Earth could any competent GM ever foster the kind of culture where the inmates run the asylum and your star player is ****ting in shoes and brings guns into the locker room as part of a prank?

I was really wrong about the Okariza trade. Turns out I'm not a better GM than Ernie. I do remember liking the Nene trade at the time though. When you think about it, it's actually a pretty incredible trade. At the time I was apprehensive about letting JaVale walk because we'd have no center. I can't believe we were able to trade him for a good center that also happened to help turn our losing culture around. Keep in mind this happened right after Nene led the league in FG% for a season and got a five year, 13 million per extension no less. The Nuggets viewed him as a foundation block mere months before.

I mean, realistically, the most you should be able to get out of JaVale McGee and Nick Young is like a Kosta Koufos. The Cavs just paid two first round picks for Timofey Mozgov! I wouldn't give two first round picks up for JaVale on a rookie deal, much less on the panic contract Denver gave him that offseason! I can't believe he got us Nene.

Denver ****ed up that whole situation pretty bad IMO. They got gunshy about their decision to extend Nene long term and we were the beneficiaries of that.

We got Gortat for pennies. And Ernie turned Arenas's franchise killing deal into Shard which then turned into Okariza. There was quite a bit of luck involved, but Ernie gets credit for being able to turn a lot of nothing into something with this build.

What do you know about Rick Mahorn ? Please. You weren't even walking when he was playing.

How are the Lakers doing buddy?

Oh for the love of god... McGee for Nene and a useless 2nd round pick?! HAVE YOU SEEN HIS CONTRACT?!

2011-12: $13,000,000.

2012-13: $13,000,000.

2013-14: $13,000,000.

2014-15: $13,000,000.

2015-16: $13,000,000.

2016-17: UFA

He's 33 in the last year of that contract. He's already injury prone. I'm THIS close to becoming an OKC fan and justifying it by the fact Durant is from the DC area.

Good times!

John Wall is tied for the the league lead in double-doubles. The last guard to lead the league was John Stockton in 94-95. #Wizards

•  

A very impressive @WashWizards win over Chicago tonight 102-86. #WizBulls #dcRising

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH

<p>

Jorge Castillo@jorgeccastillo

John Wall is tied for the the league lead in double-doubles. The last guard to lead the league was John Stockton in 94-95. #Wizards

He really is one of the VERY few players I've seen in my entire life who can score 15 points AND COMPLETELY dominate a game

Good times!

Lol, my bad Destino. Swear I wasn't even thinking of you

I'm not worried about that. I still hate Nene's contract because as good as he is against the Bulls is as bad as he is at other times (Pacers). Just wait until this offseason I'll be back on my trade Nene soapbox. If he made 9 million I'd love him.

What I want to know, and would love a reporter to talk about, is when this team figured out how to develop players? McGee was a big failure but there were so many others. Suddenly we've got Porter developing despite not playing and Seraphin, of all players, learns how to play basketball out of no where. That's a cosmic shift and I have read anything that really explains it.

• Like 1

Hell of a win last night...I was the most impressed by the team defense.  Wizards are so fun to watch when they get out in transition.  Bulls had no answer. 

Jimmy Buter...most likely a 1st time all-star, going to win MIP, and will probably get a few votes for MVP...dude was an absolute non-factor from the jump.  Wizards got after it!

Hell of a win last night...I was the most impressed by the team defense.  Wizards are so fun to watch when they get out in transition.  Bulls had no answer. 

Jimmy Buter...most likely a 1st time all-star, going to win MIP, and will probably get a few votes for MVP...dude was an absolute non-factor from the jump.  Wizards got after it!

Their starters couldn't do much against ours, the team defense was pretty damn good last night. Aaron Brooks emasculated Miller and our bigs had hell keeping people out the paint in the 2nd quarter, but otherwise it was an excellent defensive night.

Miller still has some game left, but we have to get another pg or a combo guard in here before the trade deadline.

For some reason, the Wizards guard Jimmy Butler well. No idea why.

Great win last night. I liked that we were aggressive from the jump and never really let up.

I am effing scared of the bench now. Miller is becoming a huge concern. A friend mentioned Troy Wroten, and I would not mind that at all.

people were mad about the Javale/Nene trade because we took on a bad contract for a guy who was injury prone and was not happy about moving here. He wasnt happy about playing here for his first two seasons. Nene has a bad contract and his play doesnt deny that.

I will admit I am wrong about the trade. It was a positive in that Wall became the player we hoped he would be, but the trade was still bad. Nene is still injury prone, his contract is still bad, and while he has found his flow he isnt the player he was at Denver.