Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why Was Danny Smith Allowed To Keep A Job? The all things Danny Smith Thread(Merged & M.E.T.)

McD5

Blocked kicks haven't been an issue in the past for us, but without looking at each of them on an individual basis I can't say what went wrong with them. Not cosigning on this.

Two blocked kicks last season as well.

It has become an increasing problem. If it were isolated... OK.. it happens. I am one who always will look to give credit to the other guy for making a play.

BUT not at this rate. That is indicative of players being poorly coached. Especially given the problems all season, to have another one in the final game just shows the problem isn't being handled.

~Bang

I am not one to blame coaches for certain things. 9 times out of 10, it's on the players.

That said, I do think we need a shake-up here.. our STs have been bad. Someone needs to straighten it out...I still think Danny Smith is a good St coach, but, for whatever reason it isn't working here,.

I wasn't as down on Danny Smith before this season as some were. After this season I say fire him. Five blocked kicks is inexcusable, no matter what the reason for each individual one. There's also the rest of the special teams play which in anything but special.

Goodness people choose some strange scapegoats.

Eh, I dunno. We've had a truly inordinate amount of miscues on field goals this year that can't be placed on the kicker. You've got to wonder where that comes from.

Regardless, I'd rather people blame Danny Smith than any of the previous scapegoats who have actually done very well over the course of the season (Mike, Kyle, Josh Wilson, Trent Williams, Barry Cofield, etc.).

I don't think anyone is really posting this thinking this post, on a forum, is going to get a guy fired, fellas. Relax.

And in the end, it's obviously Bruce and Mike's call. They run the team, they make the decisions. And I certainly have a hard time hoping for a coach in the profession I love to get fired.

But given the evidence, if everything is as it appears, I don't see how you keep him on board. Perhaps he needs a change in scenary, because there's no doubt that he knows his stuff.

It's not a matter of scapegoat in this situation. It's based on a consistent trend of inexcusable mistakes from his area of responsibility. The performance has been so sub par it's absurd. Fill the role with an up & coming coaching talent, not a coach who has overstayed his tenure & clearly has digressed instead of progressed.

Hail.

Was waiting for you Bang. :)

This unit has cost us multiple games this season alone.

The fact that Suisham goes to Pittsburgh and actually becomes a solid kicker for them is damning.

Gladly sign.

Dieselpwr44

The only bad thing about letting him go is bubble gum sales in the Northern VA area take a big hit. :ols:

Any chance we can get a poll? I'm standing by an assisstant coach who has survived three different regimes. He's got to be doing something right for Shanny to retain him after the Zorn debacle.

He's just a bridge between regimes. It's been two years and he's not needed anymore.

SIgned.

Please expand upon this.

After all, I'm not just yelling " he sucks " for no good reason. I laid it out, and believe me, that is the shortened version.

I want to know why after all you've seen, you feel this way.

~Bang

I'm never a "blame/fire the coach guy"...but Jesus, Danny Smith needs to go. Like yesterday.

I want to add something; have Mike go to Dan, ask him to open his wallet, and get Mike Westhoff from the New York Jets. Westhoff deserves a better team than the sideshow the New York Jets is becoming.

---------- Post added January-1st-2012 at 09:37 PM ----------

Don't fire him but instead tell him we're going in another direction and we wish him well in his next adventure.

No no no, you wish him well in all his future endeavors! There's a difference.

Please expand upon this.

After all, I'm not just yelling " he sucks " for no good reason. I laid it out, and believe me, that is the shortened version.

I want to know why after all you've seen, you feel this way.

~Bang

While the blocked kicks are certainly bad they've mostly been from guys just whiffing on a block. Overall, imo, as long as Danny's been here special teams haven't really been a problem. Our coverage units are consistently good, when we're not throwing ARE back there returns have been decent, too. I just don't see where he's this huge problem and we don't know who's really at fault for the blocked kicks.

While the blocked kicks are certainly bad they've mostly been from guys just whiffing on a block. Overall, imo, as long as Danny's been here special teams haven't really been a problem. Our coverage units are consistently good, when we're not throwing ARE back there returns have been decent, too. I just don't see where he's this huge problem and we don't know who's really at fault for the blocked kicks.

so, in your opinion in seven years being dead last in field goal percentage four times, and no better than 19th is not a problem? (Look it up. Year after year. Our kicking is horrible. Bottom feeding worst. Kicker after kicker.)

In your opinion, double digit missed field goals year after year after year is not a problem?

Why do you think players whiff blocks so often? Who's job is it to 'coach' them ?

Our coverage units consistently cover among the fewest numbers of kickoffs in the league.

But, lets pretend that doesn't matter. Tell me. It is not a problem when yuou have such a good coverage team, AND a kicker who can bury it deep so much that he forces a touchback over half the time, AND new rules to add five more yards to the kickoff, and the special teams coach STILL insists on calling for directional kicks that give Tom Brady the ball on the 40 (TD 2 plays later).. The Jets the ball on the 40 (TD 3 plays later).. etc.. etc... etc...? (six times this year we were called for kicking OOB. Six times. Inexcusable, totally avoidable, and completely unnecessary. Deep kicker. Top coverage. Aggressive defense. No need to ever chance kicking it OOB.)

You have a coach who fails to use his own strengths to the utter and total detriment of the entire team, and it's not a problem?

It's not a problem that our special teams commit horrible avoidable bad costly penalties every single week?

(Every single year. It's nothing new. )

When you have six blocked kicks over the course of an entire season (first one was in week 3 as i recall.. last one in week 17) that is a CLEAR indication that the blocking scheme problems for the field goal unit are NOT being properly addressed. PERIOD.

If it's once, sure, blame a player. If it's twice, remove a player. When it's six times, it's just not the player anymore.

When you see the Eagles and Seahawks line up in spots and block kicks like that it is because they see a flaw, and a rather obvious one seeing as how often it's been exploited this year.

A flaw that has NOT been corrected, and frankly, that signifies the failure of a coach.

~Bang

Archived