Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BaltimoreSun: Shooting and hostage situation at Johns Hopkins

MattFancy

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/baltimore-city/bs-md-ci-shooting-hopkins-20100916,0,1885569.story

Baltimore police were swarming John Hopkins Hospital, where there were reports a person has been shot and that a man has taken a hostage on the eighth floor of one of the buildings, according to authorities and correspondence over the police radio.

Hopkins sounded an emergency alert about 11:15 a.m. at Nelson 8, a thoracic center on its sprawling East Baltimore campus. Police have shut down numerous roads in the area of Broadway, East Monument and North Wolf streets.

Okay, some incorrect information is in this thread. As of 1 this afternoon, the shooter has NOT been apprehended, but has been "contained" as tactical operations continue in a small part of the hospital.

A doctor was shot but he was NOT killed. He was originally listed in critical condition but that has been down-graded to non-life threatening injuries and is undergoing surgery.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/09/16/maryland.hospital.shooting/

per NY Daily news:

A gunman shot a doctor at the world-famous Johns Hopkins medical complex in Baltimore Thursday morning and barricaded himself in his mother's hospital room.

A SWAT team was readying to take the suspect down when he killed himself and his mom, cops said.

The doctor, whose name was not released, was in critical condition with a bullet in the chest, but expected to live, police said.

"He's in surgery as we speak, but he's going to be okay. He's in the best place he could ever be - at Johns Hopkins hospital," said police spokesman Anthony Guglielmi.

A nurse who saw the gunman said he was upset about the medical treatment his mother was getting.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/2010/09/16/2010-09-16_doctor_shot_at_john_hopkins_hospital_gunman_reportedly_holed_up_in_a_room_balitm.html#ixzz0ziZUdUNo

So his mom's not getting the quality of treatment he thinks she deserves at one of the (if not the) best hospitals in the world, and the solution is to shoot a doctor and kill her? I don't expect logic from obvious lunatics like this, but that is perhaps some of the most ass-backward logic I've ever seen. I hope the doctor lives.

Holy crap, my heart dropped when I saw this story because my aunt is a physician there and I wasn't able to get ahold of her right after I saw it break on the news.

This makes me mad, it was just a matter of time before this happened there. There is very little security when you walk into the hospital and I've thought something like this, or worse was going to happen there for years. I worked in the Nelson building as an assistant researcher in college and I didn't feel safe then. Yeah, you need a key card to get into the offices but if you are allowed in the offices, you can pretty much bring anything you want with you because you can just waltz into the main part fairly unchecked.

The hospital is in a horrible part of town and is potentially a major target, I never understood why there wasn't more of a security screening process for people coming in.

Archived