Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Per 980: Media not allowed to tweet / Shanny overwhelmed by media

Soup

Fortunately access to practice does not fall under those rules. It sucks for those who would report responsibly (without giving out information that could affect the game) and the fans who enjoy the tweets, but we can get the same information without leaks a little later after the reporter sits down and thinks about what he is writing and/or an editor looks at it to comply with the redskins desire not to give the opponent any insight into our game plan.

Bottom line is; I would rather learn about a new wrinkle in our offense or defense when we use it to win a game than give the info to our opponents.

You say that now. But I will bet you dollars to donuts that when training camp rolls around, people on this board will be ****ing about no twitter.

Look, all I am saying (and this will be the last I say because, like other things, people hear what they want anyway) is that this is really not a big blow to the media (imo). Twitter has become a chore for many. Those most affected are the fans who want constant information.

Ok I'm done. Resume media bash.

BTW, I guess Jason Reid will be out of a job very soon.

Not just Reid but about 90% of all sports writers unless "sources say" is considered fact. Beyond "sources say" and puff pieces, pretty much anything reported in season from Tuesday to Thursday is speculation. If this applies in the off-season, there won't be much for ESPN, Fox etc. to "report".

I guess we are behind on this issue:

Along with the Broncos and Dolphins, the New England Patriots, Buffalo Bills, Indianapolis Colts, New Orleans Saints and Detroit Lions, They don't allow reporting from the practice field.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,537520,00.html

That was a year ago when twitter was just beginning to be mainstream. The NFL will eventually cave-in to the media. They don't want to handcuff the hands that feed them.

You say that now. But I will bet you dollars to donuts that when training camp rolls around, people on this board will be ****ing about no twitter.

Look, all I am saying (and this will be the last I say because, like other things, people hear what they want anyway) is that this is really not a big blow to the media (imo). Twitter has become a chore for many. Those most affected are the fans who want constant information.

You must be able to tweet for open practices right? I would think Shanahan would be okay with twittering up until a certain point in the preseason where things start to get serious.

Hate them or not, I think the media plays a big part in keeping the Redskins a top two grossing football organization.

Shanahan's next move to honour the 30 minute media access rule during practices will coincide with players doing their warm-downs, or end of practice routines.

Won't be much to report for local or national media.

The policy is about maintaining the competitive advantage; media types diminish that advantage by reporting what's being worked on.

No thanks or sympathy extended to media types for hindering the Skin's preparation.

I don't think that part of it is the "big deal". The rumors and anonymous sources is the story here. That's code for "you can only report the official line from the skins". After all they will fire anyone that works for them that doesn't follow orders and speaks to the media and the media isn't allowed to report anything without a name attached to it. This is all about control and Snyder and Shanahan have decided that the way the free press works in the United States of America, doesn't work for them.

Unfortunately, the rumormongering here has been out of hand here for years. For example, the whole thing with Haynesworth has probably been blown up a lot more than it should have been because of the endless rumormongering by the press, both local and national. While I don't think there is any way for Shanahan to enforce it, the message is pretty clear.

And guess what: I think most coaches would stand alongside Shanahan on this, tho others might handle it in different ways. (Gibbs handled it by saying nothing of substance to the press and being consistent.)

No wonder I am not reading anything about AH...

Thats because he was traded to the Jets yesterday.:silly:

I still think that rule #3 is a little overboard. Those rumors,speculation, amd player transactions, are all for the fans.

If it became a problem with the media hounding players, then he should deal with that situation.

I guess I cant help but think what would happen if the mods came on here and limited threads and posts about player moves, trades, etc, till after an official release from Redskin Park.

How would that go over?

And before you say it's a different situation, I will state upfront that I dont think it is. It is still about giving fans something to talk about. Which is what the media does.

I wonder if he is coming down hard on the players as well, in that they need to be very clear in what they can & can't say to the media. Portis & Cooley have made the headlines in recent weeks, plus you have several players using twitter & blogging all kinds of info'.

I'd be willing to bet that as well as putting restrictions on the media, some house rules will have been reinforced to the players. There's no point putting blocks on the media, then letting your players trip their mouths off to the media during interview, radio shows, or via blogging etc. Clearly this can't be stopped, but I'm not expecting any player to say much other than the bare minimum.

Can you imagine if Cooley posted that picture of his playbook under Shanahan?

Ignoring the private part aspect of it, I think Coach Shanahan would flip on Cooley. Put 'em in the dog house.

For now, I'm 50/50 on this situation as I am with about 90% of stuff I read about with the Skins. I'm grown numb to it all I think after all this Haynesworth BS. It's not even interesting anymore.

Ricky Williams had it right, the sports media just sucks ass at this point. Big stories about earrings and garbage like that. Gimme some X's and O's. Break down the game. Talk about matchups vs. the upcoming opponent. Stop being freaking lazy.

What happened to freedom of the press? They don't want these things happening.....don't invite the media. Simple. You create a media circius expect a circius. I'd prefer the media not be there to pass on what the team is doing for all to see and know to include our opponents.

I'm not bashing the media. I'm saying that a few irresponsible tweets have ruined the practice for everyone else.

Personally I think it's silly to even think you can tell a reporter they cant print rumors. That part will not and cannot stick. But when a reporter starts tweeting that the redskins are running certain formations or who is practicing in what formations, that gets into game planning and that **** is inexcusable. Personally, I don't care if this board implodes because they aren't getting their tweets, as long as we win the game.

It's not about dealing a blow to the media, It's about dealing a blow to the Redskins opponents who are scouting us to create their game plans.

Honest question:

I see people saying it's great because only about 25% of what the "twitter" stuff that is reported is true and now they don't have to be bothered with it. Then I see other people saying it's great because we have been giving the other teams a leg up because they can hear what is going on at our camp.

If only 25% is true, how do the other teams know what to listen to? Aren't we giving them 75% wrong info and we could use that to throw them off?

Just sayin............

Archived