Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP Ken Palmer Blog: Romo is Cowboys' achilles heel

tr1

http://views.washingtonpost.com/theleague/panelists/2010/09/americas-most-overrated-team-palmer.html

Are the Cowboys the most overrated team in the NFL? Well, is the sun going to come up tomorrow? A strong yes to both, even more so regarding the Cowboys, to be honest. The fact that several media outlets had Dallas as a legitimate Super Bowl contender was laughable from the get-go, let alone after they totally dropped the ball -and held the defensive end - in Washington.

As long as Tony Romo sits to pee is at the helm of the 'Boys, they'll never win it all. Never. Ever. Ever. For as good as he's become - and he's definitely in the game's top third of QBs - he just doesn't have what it takes to bring it all home. Sure we're bringing up the past here, but remember the dropped extra point in Seattle in 2006? Of course you do. Well, superstars, even in their infancy, don't make enormous mistakes like that. That play is basically a microcosm of what Romo sits to pee's career has been - solid play, even strong at times, ruined by a costly mistake. You're never out of a game against Dallas, as long as Romo sits to pee is still in the contest.

But the Cowboys are still the Cowboys - so it's a lot easier to anoint them as a title contender than a team like, say, the Texans - even though Houston is probably a more talented bunch. And we didn't even get to the coach. You can rank the league's 32 head coaches right now and not find Wade Phillips on that list. For those scoring at home, he might not even make the top 40.

So, who had the Giants and Redskins in their office pools as the two teams that would be tied atop the NFC East after Week 1? Of course no one did. That's because the football world wouldn't allow you to. Not with the Cowboys in the same division. So what that they really don't warrant all the attention and hype? They're Dallas; surely they've earned it, right? What with all the playoff wins they've accumulated in the past decade or so.

Now I'm not going to be a total hypocrite here, as I did select Dallas to win the NFC East this season in my publication, The Giant Insider :doh:. But I explained that Dallas was going to win the division clearly by default, due to the lack of ability of the rest of the all-of-a-sudden watered down NFC East. And the selection was followed by the solid prediction that Dallas would do absolutely nothing once it reached the playoffs. Not a thing.

Every year a team or two comes out of nowhere and makes a run at the whole thing. Trying to figure out which team or two that will be is always fun, yet frustrating. It would be a lot easier just to pick the team that's supposed to be good and won't be. That would be the Dallas Cowboys and that would be an easy pick year after year after year.

As much as you can always rely on Romo sits to pee to step forth and do what he does best when it REALLY matters come December on; as big a problem the last few years with the Girls O has been Garrett and his calling of games IMHO,

Prime example was Sunday. They were running all over us. But not satisfied with that, the "genius" decides to put it all in the chokers hands. Priceless.

As I've just posted over the Stadium, when the Crypt Keeper finally does can the walking poster boy for the Pillsbury Doughboy, PLEASE let him bump the O-coordinator upto the HC gig. PLEASE.

Hail.

I agree. Coaching (read: Garrett) is the problem in Dallas, not talent. Romo sits to pee is definitely a top 10 QB, if not top 5. It pains me to say that. But the guy is just talented. People said the same thing about Peyton Manning for YEARS about how he was always a choker. After just one Super Bowl win, he's now one of the greatest of all time.

On the plus side, Jerry Jones is basically wasting all of the talent on that football team. By the time he realizes coaching is the problem, all of his stars will be over the hill and they'll be in rebuilding mode.

Don't think Romo sits to pee is the problem one bit. I've said it time and time again that it's their coaching and OL that will be their downfall.

Wade Phillips just doesn't cut it for a NFL head coach. He's a brilliant Defensive Coordinator, but both of his stints as a head coach (bills/cowboys) has been lack luster to say the least. He's had a stacked team for years now and he hasn't done diddly squat with it.

The offensive line? Well, if you look on the "Guess the record contest" thread, i specifically took us by 3 this past game because 2 of their starting OL were out. I enjoy being right. :pfft: Fortunately for us (skins fans), Jerruh has pulled a Vinny Ceratto the past few years as he doesn't seem to like drafting lineman in the first two rounds.

As much as you can always rely on Romo sits to pee to step forth and do what he does best when it REALLY matters come December on; as big a problem the last few years with the Girls O has been Garrett and his calling of games IMHO,

Prime example was Sunday. They were running all over us. But not satisfied with that, the "genius" decides to put it all in the chokers hands. Priceless.

As I've just posted over the Stadium, when the Crypt Keeper finally does can the walking poster boy for the Pillsbury Doughboy, PLEASE let him bump the O-coordinator upto the HC gig. PLEASE.

Hail.

That would be perfect! He would do such a good job.........................................................for us.

:rotflmao:

You can rank the league's 32 head coaches right now and not find Wade Phillips on that list. For those scoring at home, he might not even make the top 40.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

And Cowboy fans wouldn't listen to me, Shannahan>>>Wade.

Hasn't someone around here been saying for a long time that no one should be mesmerized by Romo sits to pee's stats...that he's choking dog loser...and always will be?

Haha, when I read the title I thought for sure you wrote this!

Romo sits to pee, Wade, Garrett, Jerry..........lots of weaknesses in all the most important slots!

http://views.washingtonpost.com/theleague/panelists/2010/09/americas-most-overrated-team-palmer.html
As long as Tony Romo sits to pee is at the helm of the 'Boys, they'll never win it all. Never. Ever. Ever. For as good as he's become - and he's definitely in the game's top third of QBs - he just doesn't have what it takes to bring it all home. Sure we're bringing up the past here, but remember the dropped extra point in Seattle in 2006? Of course you do. Well, superstars, even in their infancy, don't make enormous mistakes like that. That play is basically a microcosm of what Romo sits to pee's career has been - solid play, even strong at times, ruined by a costly mistake. You're never out of a game against Dallas, as long as Romo sits to pee is still in the contest.[/color]

All anyone has to do is read this paragraph and know this guy is an idiot. Yeah, he is a top 1/3 qb but will never win anything. Wow. Just pure genius there. Then goes on to talk about a part of the game that has nothing to do with his qbing.....lol.

He is a dolt....plain and simple. And what would provoke this article right now? The fact that he drove us down for an apparent game winning td against Washington? Guy should quit because this job is over his head.

All anyone has to do is read this paragraph and know this guy is an idiot. Yeah, he is a top 1/3 qb but will never win anything. Wow. Just pure genius there. Then goes on to talk about a part of the game that has nothing to do with his qbing.....lol.

He is a dolt....plain and simple. And what would provoke this article right now? The fact that he drove us down for an apparent game winning td against Washington? Guy should quit because this job is over his head.

You're right. A more clear example would have been that boneheaded pass/lateral whatever it was at the end of the 2nd half on Sunday night...good call.

The thing about Romo sits to pee is he learned under the wing of the best "big stats, big losses" QB of recent memory, Drew Bledsoe. Bledsoe had knack for impressing people who didn't actually watch the game, with his stat line, however what stat lines don't say is how they performed with the game on the line.

Everyone is focusing on the final play of the game, which is natural of course, but the "experts" and coaches and game film people should be looking at a play that took place about 4-5 plays before that one. Romo sits to pee, trying to be a hero, hurled the ball downfield at Roy Williams, and into basically TRIPLE COVERAGE. If Carlos Rogers had anything but hands of stone, the game would have been over right then and there. I mean watch the replay, the ball literally hits Rogers in the hands, he is in perfect position, yet 'Los being 'Los....dropps the easy INT, and the game continues on, giving the Cowboys life.

If that had been any other CB in that position, the game ends there, and the story changes to another game Romo sits to pee throws away with an ill-advised pass into coverage.

Coaching (read: Garrett) is the problem in Dallas, not talent. Romo sits to pee is definitely a top 10 QB, if not top 5. It pains me to say that. But the guy is just talented.
I agree, and I hate to say that. He's incredibly frustrating to play against. Every time I think one of our defenders is about to pound him into the turf, he finds a way to escape and create a big play. It's maddening. I'm not talking about the holding call at the end of the game against Barron-- I'm talking about pretty much ever since Romo sits to pee has been their starter.

I would LOVE it if Dallas went in another direction at the QB position.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTIoqqTQDY_CHJ19vT8vhcYUzhOs8LfpHhJe8vmFvP50mo6GpQ&t=1&usg=__W8mjYt6iDUokh8LTyxynEUCk51c=

But, seriously, Romo sits to pee isn't the problem. I hate playing him because he has a way of pulling big plays straight out of his ass. Everything you think you've got him, he weasels out of it and finds a way to make something happen.

Fat Boy and his gang of simpletons, though, will always keep that team from winning anything.

Archived