Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Strasburg may need Tommy John surgery

Drop

I don't know as much about baseball as I used to, so I was wondering if TJ surgery is more of a requirement or if it's more of a luxury. Did the Nats and Strat feel like they NEEDED to do this or was it more of a "Strat should get done this just to be safe"? I guess it could be both, but iyo, what mindset is more prevalent in the MLB?

I don't know as much about baseball as I used to, so I was wondering if TJ surgery is more of a requirement or if it's more of a luxury. Did the Nats and Strat feel like they NEEDED to do this or was it more of a "Strat should get done this just to be safe"? I guess it could be both, but iyo, what mindset is more prevalent in the MLB?

He has a significant tear, so it's probably the only way to fix it. It seems like Tommy John surgery has been improved lately because before it seemed like it was a career ender to get it. But not plenty of pitchers have had it and come back fine.

Said it before multiple times in the Nats board.

Strasburg = Mark Prior version 2.0. He has a mechanics problem and his elbow will continue to be messed up if this isn't addressed. Doesn't matter how much or less he pitches. He's a ticking time bomb if his mechanics are fixed. We'll see if the Nats are competent enough to realize this. My bet is, they continue to be ignorant.

http://www.chrisoleary.com/projects/baseball/pitching/professionalpitcheranalyses/StephenStrasburg.html

because pitcher Tommy John was the first one to successfully undergo the surgery.

cool, thanx. Sucks for Strauss, though they say he should be able to retain his heat, so.....

Do most pitchers go through a drop off after the surgury? I really don't know much about it, but that would suck for everyone if Straussberg turns out to be a shell of what he was before the injury... all that handling with kid gloves and he still gets hurt. Hindsight I guess. Wish I could have got to see him really let the ball fly once, no pitch count.

Do most pitchers go through a drop off after the surgury? I really don't know much about it, but that would suck for everyone if Straussberg turns out to be a shell of what he was before the injury...

These days most pitchers actually come back even better than they were before the surgery. Which could be really scary in Strasburg’s case. These days some pitchers want to get the surgery just because they think it’ll enhance their performance after they recover.

This is bad news for the Nats in 2011, but long-term it’s good news that he’s getting this out of the way now.

From Nats Journal:

Ten pitchers who underwent Tommy John surgery made the All-Star Game this year.

"What we're dealing with here is something that's very manageable," Scott Boras, Strasburg's agent, told colleague Dave Sheinin. "I've had so many clients who pitched until they're 40 have issues like this in their early 20s. I've had a number of clients who feel fine and then, boom, [the elbow] goes, and then they have [the surgery] and they come back and they're fine. As a matter of fact, in the majority of cases, they're better."

Chris Carpenter, the starter who nearly won the Cy Young last year, pitched at Nationals Park last night. Jamie Garica, the starter who might be rookie of the year this season, will pitch tonight. Both had Tommy John surgery.

Archived