Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Strasburg may need Tommy John surgery

Drop

Can we get a merge? Two Nats threads is just doubling my depression at the moment. :(

It is reassuring though to read how successful so many pitchers have been after the surgery, but for now it's still a depressing story. Oh well. The optimist in me believes that we'll be a contender in 2012 and Stras will return in heroic fashion to give us that last push we need to win a pennant. :cool:

Gotta hope he makes a full recovery because the Nationals aren't contending next season anyway. Regardless, I changed back my sig accordingly. I think we should keep John Wall in a bubble, like the bubble boy.

Regarding your sig, I think the "Nats" were pretty "curse stricken" while in Montreal as well.

There's even a growing trend among high school pitchers trying to get the procedure done, even if they don't really need it, because they believe it'll add a few MPH to their fastball. Kind of disturbing, but it is true.

Anyone who thinks this is a major career setback for Strasburg is misinformed.

It's certainly not a good thing. He may come back throwing as well as he did, or he may not. The chances seem pretty slim that he would return even better than he was.

It's certainly not a good thing. He may come back throwing as well as he did, or he may not. The chances seem pretty slim that he would return even better than he was.

The last statement depends on how long the injury had been developing. If it was a sudden traumatic event that took the UCL from complete to destroyed over the course of a short time then there would be little chance of improvement. However, if it had been gradually deteriorating then it is possible. Who knows...maybe we'll have 105 mph fastballs in 2012!

The last statement depends on how long the injury had been developing. If it was a sudden traumatic event that took the UCL from complete to destroyed over the course of a short time then there would be little chance of improvement. However, if it had been gradually deteriorating then it is possible. Who knows...maybe we'll have 105 mph fastballs in 2012!

I would advise hopeful optimism in this case for Nats fans. You hope he can have surgery, have a successful rehab, build up his arm strength and stamina again and return to being the dominating pitcher he was.

Entertaining this notion that he's going to be rebuilt, stronger, faster, better is just setting yourself up for disappointment.

I would advise hopeful optimism in this case for Nats fans. You hope he can have surgery, have a successful rehab, build up his arm strength and stamina again and return to being the dominating pitcher he was.

Entertaining this notion that he's going to be rebuilt, stronger, faster, better is just setting yourself up for disappointment.

who said he's going to be stronger, faster, and better?

All anyone has said is that with the way modern sports science, medicine, and treatment have come along, Tommy John isn't a deathblow to a career anymore. And that in SOME instances, it has shown to produce some slight improvement in some of the pitchers who have had the procedure done.

I don't think anyone is seriously thinking he's gonna come back and throw 105 mph heaters and be better than he already was. Obviously, people are joking when they say things like that.

All of us sensible fans are simply hoping that the surgery, the recovery, and all the steps that he needs to take toward regaining his stamina and speed are going to fall in place so that he'll be ready to go when the time comes.

who said he's going to be stronger, faster, and better?

All anyone has said is that with the way modern sports science, medicine, and treatment have come along, Tommy John isn't a deathblow to a career anymore. And that in SOME instances, it has shown to produce some slight improvement in some of the pitchers who have had the procedure done.

I don't think anyone is seriously thinking he's gonna come back and throw 105 mph heaters and be better than he already was. Obviously, people are joking when they say things like that.

All of us sensible fans are simply hoping that the surgery, the recovery, and all the steps that he needs to take toward regaining his stamina and speed are going to fall in place so that he'll be ready to go when the time comes.

So even though you agree with what I wrote, you're arguing with me anyway.

I was just advocating a little more caution than Larry Brown #43 and others seemed to be shirking as unnecessary. He said not only is this surgery not a big deal it could improve his pitching.

I'd warn that such a surgery with a guy as high as Strasburg certainly is a big deal because the only place he can go is down.

I hope the guy is able to come back just fine.

Honest question, when is the last time a power pitcher like Strasburg came back better from Tommy John surgery?

Carpenter, Hudson, etc. are more finess guys. Strasburg is more of a flamethrower power pitcher.

Josh Johnson and Francisco Liriano.

Johnson is/was. Liriano I don't really remember. But in all honesty I don't think anyone in MLB is as powerful a P as Stras is right now anyway so you can't really compare.

Liriano's problems are mental and control. He still has the velocity.

But were they tough of as power guys like Stras? I don't remember.

Johnson's a fireballer. More so now since the surgery, but he wasn't exactly a finesse pitcher before.

I believe I saw an article that said Johnson is throwing roughly 5 mph faster on average than he did before the surgery, so he's now almost in Strasburg territory in terms of velocity.

If anything, the surgery seems to add velocity for most guys, so I can't imagine it negatively impacting Strasburg's heat.

I blame this on that idiot Mike Rizzo and Lerner for overworking Strass, they brought the guy up and got greedy for revenue pitching him every 4th game in July to max the home games when they should have been pitching him every 6th game to lighten the load on his arm.

Rizzo made one decent move this year at the deadline (Ramos) but everything else he has done as GM of the Nats is a colossal fail. I think the Nats took a huge step backwards today.

I blame this on that idiot Mike Rizzo and Lerner for overworking Strass, they brought the guy up and got greedy for revenue pitching him every 4th game in July to max the home games when they should have been pitching him every 6th game to lighten the load on his arm.

I don't recall them ever pitching Strasburg on less than 4 days rest (every fifth game), or allowing him to throw more than about 99 pitches. The bottom line is that the guy's elbow couldn't handle the torque, and the injury would have happened regardless of how they used him.

Archived