Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Thought the Skins played well or am I missing something?

Tomel

Skins played well in first half on both sides of ball until gadget fake punt signaled exit for the starters.

Second half was meaningless.

Bright spots include performances by McDuff, Armstrong, Santa and a swarming defense. I also thought Portis ran well during his brief appearances.

Good-omen play of the game: DYoung's crushing block on Banks punt return. Keep your eye on Young ... he is Seller's replacement.

Just finished watching it finally off the DVR & I agree with the OP...our 1st team went toe to toe with them and looked solid IMO...I also was worried about the poor tackling after Buffalo and the first team Def looked great...lots of swarming to the ball, much better tackling in space, etc.

The season can't get here soon enough...

I thought McNabb was sharp on deep and intermediate throws, but his short passes to the flat were awful.

They had a couple drops, but more of them were bad throws.

The OL had it's moments.. nice to see Trent Williams hold something of his own when one on one with Suggs. . he gave up some, but he also held his own some. It will show the coaches what to do with him against DeMarcus Ware. (Give him some help!)

it is VERY nice to see a QB who shifts in the pocket and can shrug some pressure. Last night I had the JC Jumps on a few of those jailbreaks, and mcNabb deftly avoided the rush and made the throw.

McNabb was sharp to Moss and Cooley and that's good to see, (the crossing routes were WIDE open) and it really looks like he's connecting with Armstrong. (He needs to practice with him,, he underthrew the bomb in the first quarter,, that had TD written on it, and in reg. season that maybe is a pick. He then overthrew Armstrong on a fly and the kid was five yards beyond everyone. They need to synch up. I bet mcNabb sees him very much like DeSean Jackson.

It would not surprise me if Armstrong was a starter vs Dallas. I didn't even see Galloway last night, and Roydell Williams played in the second half.

Portis is clearly the RB, and Torain is most likely #2 unless LJ shows Shanny something. I'd bet LJ just moved right to the bubble last night.

The starting D forced multiple fumbles, but didn't recover any. Carter had his hands on an INT that wasn't held, granted it was a tough catch to make.

Kareem Moore, not so sure.. an even though Doughty laid a nice lick, he was late covering on a couple of zone coverages that resulted in first downs. I'd say we still have a need at safety.

I still am loving what I see from Justin Tryon. Call me crazy, but he makes steady progress. He'll never be a starter outside of emergency, but as a nickel back he could contribute.

Lorenzo Alexander was his usual active self, got some good licks in. Orakpo was all over the place, and the pressure we put on minus Haynesworth was good to see. Kedric Golston. how do you not love this guy?

I don't know why they didn't throw a flag when McNabb got sacked back at the five.. dude clearly had his helmet. I also don't know why Shanny left him in with a noticeable limp. It's preseason.

Second team OL got mauled. Grossman looked like his usual schizo self.. you know,, great one week, the worst Qb in the league the next.

Malcolm who? Armstrong?

Good excitement from the return game, although preseason special teams are usually sloppy / spectacular depending on who has the ball. Scrubs fighting for jobs. But it is NICE to see some speed for a change.

Gano has leg.. his long miss had the distance.. good kickoffs.. both.

~Bang

LJ is too upright of a runner for this blocking scheme. That's is why we saw him and Portis on back to back running plays. Portis is the measuring stick, and LJ just didn't measure up.

Not only does he run too upright, but he wasn't quick enough to cut up field. Sure, there weren't alot of holes to run thru, but then CP gets in and cuts straight up field. Sorry, but i'm not feeling LJ right now.

I'm okay with that because this is preseason, but I hope it does not carry over. I think there was a certain point in that game where the coaches did not want anyone else to get hurt. It was obvious this was the JIM ZORN bowl and they were game planning harder than the Redskins. Beltway Championship in the preseason means as much as anyother preseason game. Congrats to Zorn. :silly:

:ols: dude, when people were saying that Zorn got a gatorade bath, i thought it was a joke. Besides that, even Shanny admitted that the Ravens gameplanned for them, which was interesting evidenced by the fake FG.

The same stuff has happened through his whole career: he's never been a very accurate passer. Things that don't show up on the stat sheet are bad throws that still get caught.

11 years of watching McNabb have shown me that his erratic throws will probably not clear up.

Wow! I guess you watched a different game then everyone else... I was PUMPED by what I saw from McNabb last night (bought my jersey this morning... kidding)

He threw a few balls on a rope, gave receivers chances to make plays and was under duress all night. Made plays with his feet by moving in the pocket like something we have seen destroy the B&G for years!!! If that had been JC he wouldnt have made it out of the game in one piece. Tell me when did you see Moss miss a ball and turn to the QB and say "my fault", saw it for the first time in yrs last night.

I guess my point is if you would rather be a McNasty hater then thats your perogative, but he's done a helluva a lot more winning in the last 10 years then we have been privy to. Last night was a breath of fresh air as a fan.

He threw a few balls on a rope, gave receivers chances to make plays and was under duress all night. Made plays with his feet by moving in the pocket like something we have seen destroy the B&G for years!!! If that had been JC he wouldnt have made it out of the game in one piece. Tell me when did you see Moss miss a ball and turn to the QB and say "my fault", saw it for the first time in yrs last night.

I guess my point is if you would rather be a McNasty hater then thats your perogative, but he's done a helluva a lot more winning in the last 10 years then we have been privy to. Last night was a breath of fresh air as a fan.

I wouldn't call myself a hater... I'm more about tempering expectations. I honestly believe McNabb is being overrated by the majority of Redskins fans, simply because he's better than most of the QBs we've had in the last 20 years.

That said, based solely on last night's performance, I think McNabb looked pretty average. He had two or three good throws. He had a lot that were behind his receivers that were still caught, and a lot of the drops were (at least in part) due to poor placement. That makes it hard to make the catch and limits YAC opportunities.

Yeah, it's the second preseason game, so maybe his timing will improve. But he also has a history of inaccuracy. Meanwhile, I'm watching Brett Favre, who's been in camp for like 3 days, hit a running back in stride on his first pass of the year.

I don't know. Maybe McNabb will throw for 4,000 yards and 30 TDs. I'm just saying that, based on what I've seen him do in the past, I'm not betting on it.

Yeah, it's the second preseason game, so maybe his timing will improve. But he also has a history of inaccuracy. Meanwhile, I'm watching Brett Favre, who's been in camp for like 3 days, hit a running back in stride on his first pass of the year.

Nobody here cares about what Brett Favre is doing. And yeah, you've pretty much outed yourself as a hater already.

Nobody here cares about what Brett Favre is doing. And yeah, you've pretty much outed yourself as a hater already.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion.

My only point in bringing up Favre is that the first time he threw a ball in a game this year, he completed a pass that I saw McNabb miss twice last night. Seeing other guys do it leads me to expect McNabb to be able to do it, too. When he doesn't, I get concerned.

Just imagine if things were reversed. If our starting QB only threw for 72 yards on 16 attempts and our RBs only mustered up 38 yards rushing (outside of the 51 yard punt fake), would we be feeling all warm and fuzzy now? Would anyone think we were headed to the Super Bowl after that performance? Would the media really claim that we steam rolled the Ravens? No, they wouldn't. They'd be sure to point out the mitigating circumstances and rightfully so.

In no way did the Redskins starting units play like a playoff team last night. We can all agree with that. But, neither did the Ravens.

Whats missing is points on the scoreboard as a reward for playing well.

Some games go like that in the beginning. Had this been a regular season game, I promise you that we'd have ended the game with more than three points. I thought our starters looked great given the situation that they've been put into with learning a completely new system, with a lot of new players. Once those kinks and brain farts get worked out we will be fine.

In no way did the Redskins starting units play like a playoff team last night. We can all agree with that. But, neither did the Ravens.

Easy trigger, don't go assuming we all share your opinion... I COMPLETELY disagree. I've watched it twice, and our starting units went toe to toe with a certified Super Bowl contender this year. I think we absolutely looked like a playoff team, and had this been a meaningful game, I think it had all the makings of a grind it out hard nosed 13-10 victory by whatever team makes the last play. So in MY opinion, I was overly pleased by the performance and think we absolutely looked like a playoff team that can beat ANYONE on any given day.

I didnt like what I saw. Our first team played a whole half and only scored 3 points. Our running game (or there lack of) looked flat, or maybe that was due to our O-Line. Pass protection looked confused. And it seamed like Cooley and Moss were the only ones able to catch a ball. Where are the two tght ends sets? Our D looked lost at times on the line and in coverage. We seemed to lose at the line of scrimage on most plays on both sides of the ball.

If we cant run the ball and McNabb has to scramble all year I dont see us getting more then 6 wins.

Then again this is only the 2nd preseason game so who cares?

I DO !!!!!!!!!!!

I didnt like what I saw. Our first team played a whole half and only scored 3 points. Our running game (or there lack of) looked flat, or maybe that was due to our O-Line. Pass protection looked confused. And it seamed like Cooley and Moss were the only ones able to catch a ball. Where are the two tght ends sets? Our D looked lost at times on the line and in coverage. We seemed to lose at the line of scrimage on most plays on both sides of the ball.

If we cant run the ball and McNabb has to scramble all year I dont see us getting more then 6 wins.

Then again this is only the 2nd preseason game so who cares?

I DO !!!!!!!!!!!

correction, Larry Johnson looked flat. Portis didnt help LJ's cause by coming in and slashing through the line for big gains. our first team D looked good, wrapping up on tackles getting solid fundamentals down.

if you watch the game again youll notice something we havent seen in a while but my high school coach used to preach "if you cant bring him down hold on to a leg for dear life and somebody else will clean him up"

look at the ravens first team stats, they didnt impress. a few pases not dropped and its a different ball game.

plus, Shanahan couldnt care less about winning a pre-season game. hes more into the real time execution of plays and evaluation of individuals. hes building a team not a resume or ego. well be fine. his approach is exactly what this collection of individuals needs to solidify into a team.

I thought Torrain looked pretty good catching out of the backfield. Better than Portis, actually.

Wondering if there might be a spot for him as a third down back?

(I'm not quite sure what KS is trying to prove by putting Portis in there as a 3rd down guy. His weakness his entire career has been catching balls out of the backfield. He just looks so uncomfortable doing it)

I thought Torrain looked pretty good catching out of the backfield. Better than Portis, actually.

(I'm not quite sure what KS is trying to prove by putting Portis in there as a 3rd down guy. His weakness his entire career has been catching balls out of the backfield. He just looks so uncomfortable doing it)

its true Portis is not that good catching out of the backfield. i always thought Betts was much better at that aspect of HB. Torain looks similar to me in that regard. as i stated in another thread i dont think LJ is the right size/shape RB for our scheme so no matter his overall worth in the league he means very little for us. WP has shown nothing, mainly because he hasnt, for whatever reason, warranted more time on the field.

this leads me to believe that we keep three HBs and one, if not both, will be Williams/Torain.

Torrain or did you mean K Williams? Torrain did not have any catches but KW had 3 for 39. He also ran 2 for 6 while Torrain went 1 for 2.

And KW did look better catching out of the backfield than CP.

Torrain or did you mean K Williams? Torrain did not have any catches but KW had 3 for 39. He also ran 2 for 6 while Torrain went 1 for 2.

And KW did look better catching out of the backfield than CP.

I could have sworn it was Torrain. I had to take care of a 1 year old and a 4 year old during the re-air this a.m., so wasn't able to give it the attn it deserved.

SOMEBODY was making some nice catches out of the backfield, and it wasn't portis or johnson :ols:

Archived