Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Thought the Skins played well or am I missing something?

Tomel

Maybe I'm missing something or perhaps I'm just the eternal optimist, but I have a different take on last night's game than what has been said in the press. Here's my take.

I felt the first team went toe-to-toe with the Ravens during the first half. Our stats during the first half were marginally better than the Ravens and we battled to a 3-3 tie with an acknowledged Super Bowl contender. The score after two quarters was 10-3 Ravens only because of a special teams gaffe. Sure, we weren't perfect. We dropped a few catchable balls and McNabb was pressured at times. Frankly, how many teams aren't pressured by the Ravens defense? Actually, I felt the first team more than held its own, an amazing feat given the changes to both players and schemes that have occurred. Except for allowing the fake punt and the injuries, I was very encouraged at halftime. Heck, we even saw Hall making some tackles and I though the entire secondary looked good.

The negatives:

1. Second half and second- and third-stringers, not so good.

2. Larry Johnson was a bust.

3. Haynesworth appeared unmotivated and sluggish (were his post-game comments an attempt to deflect attention from his lackluster performance?).

Bottom line, I would have liked to have seen us get another win, but I'm actually even more encouraged with our progress.

Yes you are

8. Please use descriptive and accurate topic titles for your thread.

Adherence to this rule assists visitors in utilizing discretion when selecting content to read. It serves to notify members if a particular topic has already been posted and discussed and potentially prevents multiple threads on the exact same topic. Be respectful of the fact that some people come to ExtremeSkins explicitly for latest Redskins news and content, without the editorializing of titles by members.

The starters definitely held their own against the Ravens starters. Other than that special teams play that put them on the goalline, it didn't look like they'd drive down the field on us for a TD. There were about 3 fumbles and had a chance at an interception, had Andre Carter held onto it. They only had 43 total yards in the first quarter.

Yes you are

Adherence to this rule assists visitors in utilizing discretion when selecting content to read. It serves to notify members if a particular topic has already been posted and discussed and potentially prevents multiple threads on the exact same topic. Be respectful of the fact that some people come to ExtremeSkins explicitly for latest Redskins news and content, without the editorializing of titles by members.

Even though this is right/correct etc, I knew exactly what this was about before I clicked it.

I think they did pretty well too. I mean except for a few dropped passes, the offense looked pretty good against an amazing defense.

I also think there's just a different "feel" with this offense. Those 3rd and longs last year would have had me crossing my fingers, toes, and legs hoping we could do something...but w/ McNabb in there man it feels automatic.

Our starters had 213 yds. Ravens had 219. 51 of those were the fake punt no one would do in a regular game. Redskins moved the ball quite well and should have had atleast one TD against the Ravens starting D(dropped TD pass). The fact is neither team could really score on the other without pulling something insane.

Yes you are

I knew exactly what the subject was referring to. Mind you, I've been reading around about the game reactions already, but still....

Our starters had 213 yds. Ravens had 219. 51 of those were the fake punt no one would do in a regular game. Redskins moved the ball quite well and should have had atleast one TD against the Ravens starting D(dropped TD pass). The fact is neither team could really score on the other without pulling something insane.

It was the other way around, we had 219, and they had 213. No biggie though, I just liked that we had more total yards :ols:.

I thought we looked good when it was our first team vs. theirs.

What really bothered me last night was how the players seemed to quit after the fake punt td drive.

Really looked like someone let the air outa our tires after that and it makes me wonder how the team will handle being down in the regular season.

They were sloppy, not bad persay.

The recievers dropped to many passes.

Larry Johnson didn't do anything.

The defense appeared weak. They'd get to the ballcarrier, wrap him up and not be able to take him down.

Honestly though I spent more time last night upset with the officials than anything the Redskins did.

Had Portis taken the majority of the running game over, I think the offense would have looked much more fluid. Being able to count on your RB to get you around 4 yards per carry is important. Portis looks explosive right now - LJ, not so much. He seemed really tentative around the LOS, tip-toeing to the gap and not hitting it hard.

I'm watching the replay right now, refs are horrible, ravens oline is holding like crazy, I think the Skins D is playing well, #5 appears to be off on his timing tonight (alot of balls behind the receivers), LJ not impressing, CP is. Looks like the foundation for a good team is there, just need to tweak it a little bit (practice will hopefully fix this). If were off slightly, it looks bland, but when its clicking, we've got a hell of a team

Yea I knew what it was, too.

I'm not impressed with the Defense so far.

The offense will be OK.

I thought first team defense played very well. What did you see that concerned you? The first team d swarmed to the ball and played tough. What else do you want?

Few things:

Definitely good things but also bad things; too many mental mistakes (used to seeing) and with 200 yards you should get more than three points.

Definitely hard to call LJ a bust based on one game against one of the top defenses in the league.

You can tell the offense is still thinking about what to do. With the dropped passes and horribly underthrown balls on two separate deep passes the offense still is a ways away.

Defense still has some work to do. While they created pressure they did give up some big plays.

The first team O and D played well as did the Special teams...simply too many missed opportunities. If the receivers could have hung onto a number of catch-able passes and McNabb develops a better feel for where his receivers are going to be, this game's outcome would have been a lot different as would our feelings towards how this unit played.

I'm not discouraged really. I think many of the mistakes made in this game are either not going to happen very often or are otherwise correct-able. I have a lot of faith in this coaching staff to get things right and I believe we are seeing some kinks being worked out. There is a lot of new-ness on this team in terms of players and scheme...things will take a bit to gel. Watch out when it does.

Archived