Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Thought the Skins played well or am I missing something?

Tomel

My thoughts so far are...

1) We will have an explosive offense. We will see a lot of big plays that we haven't seen in years on offense. Our O moves the ball very well. Also, we seemed to make huge plays at very critical times, like while being backed up on our goal line, then making a huge play.

2) McNabb is a huge upgrade at QB

3) Our defense will create more turnovers and be very strong. I thought they played very well.

4)Portis is still a top RB

5)Offense on the first series did great at converting 3rd downs.

Things we need to improve on...

1)Timing between receivers and QB

2)Larry Johnson looked terrible last night. It was a very tough Ravens D, so I'll wait and see how he does with another opportunity before calling for a cut.

3)Need to improve hands and capitalize on turnover opportunities.

I haven't watched the 2nd half of the game yet. I'm in the process of watching the replay on NFL Network.

A lot of ifs in this thread. The bottom line is our RBs can't catch the ball coming out of the backfield (but we don't need Westbrook right?) and McNabb is not a god. He stood back there in the endzone a little too long, should have thrown 2-3 interceptions, and was inaccurate on a couple of passes.

Yes you are

8. Please use descriptive and accurate topic titles for your thread.

Adherence to this rule assists visitors in utilizing discretion when selecting content to read. It serves to notify members if a particular topic has already been posted and discussed and potentially prevents multiple threads on the exact same topic. Be respectful of the fact that some people come to ExtremeSkins explicitly for latest Redskins news and content, without the editorializing of titles by members.

It sure would be nice to be able to post an insightful point of view on this site without being harrassed over trivial topic related issues by someone who thinks himself/herself an authority figure on this board. Its good to know there are volunteers patrolling the boards with nothing better to do than critique every little thread issue. Keep up the good work.

McNabb made alot of plays on his own. Overall I was encouraged by McNabbs performance. The nagging thing that bothers me is that now in two games the starting defense isn't generating the pass rush I hoped we would. But then again the Ravens oline was holding all over the place with no calls being made by the refs.

McNabb made alot of plays on his own. Overall I was encouraged by McNabbs performance. The nagging thing that bothers me is that now in two games the starting defense isn't generating the pass rush I hoped we would. But then again the Ravens oline was holding all over the place with no calls being made by the refs.

Scruff, the Ravens O-Line is still one of the best in the league. Flacco had all sorts of time back there from what I've noticed. I think we'll get better as the time goes on during practice and the rest of the pre-season.

Another real test comes this Friday versus the Jets. You think the Ravens showed the line some exotic looks, wait til they get a load of the Jets blitzes. They blitz on damn near every down. Dockery, Rabach, and Hicks have to get better with the middle.

The defense appeared weak. They'd get to the ballcarrier, wrap him up and not be able to take him down.

Honestly though I spent more time last night upset with the officials than anything the Redskins did.

Yeah some recievers were sloppy (definitely excluding Moss and Armstrong) but I totally agree with you on the defense.

You might be talking about the 2nd and 3rd string defense when you mention missed tackles because 1st string defense was wrapping up and taking them down great. That's why Ravens 1st team defense was only 1-5 on 3rd downs. If they did not do the fluke punt run, then they would have only scored 3 pts. For some reason, Fred Davis dropped in the endzone and Gano missed a short field goal, so our offense did not do bad moving the ball at all. If you want to talk about our 1st team offense, I was impressed by everything except for out running game.

To go up against a great Ravens offense that know the 3-4 defense more than we do and a nice defense, we did great against them. Especially for a transitioning team that is just beginning to take down the 3-4 defense.

Positives:

Donovan can make plays....very excited that we have a real QB.

Armstrong probably has a spot on this roster...appears to be a great possession reciever (ARE replacement).

I still like Banks and I believe he will make this roster as a KR and 6th WR because Austin has been unimpressive. Banks had a nice showing last night.

Devin Thomas is DECENT and I believe he is too strong...he just LOOKS the part of a receiver....and I saw him do some things with JC as his QB last year....so I just know that he will blossom with Mcnabb pretty soon. He is a good blocking receiver as well.

I like Keiland Williams...he is a big strong goal line type of RB...I'm not sure why SHanny think LJ can be our permanent 3rd down/goal line RB but I believe Williams needs a spot on this roster as a RB....as well as Torain...but no LJ or WP please...where is Westbrook?

How can I forget about Laron *************** LANDRY!!!!!!! Oh *********....he is an animal out there. He LOVES contact and he wants to rip your f'n head off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He is an angry dude...idk why but I love it. With some non-retard coaches at the helm with soem common sense, Landry is at his natural position and he will BEAST OUT this season!!! He is that guy that will come up and knock a guy in the mouth when they're feeling too ****y!! (i.e. Deseason Jackson, Matthew Stafford, ect. A-holes like that) Landry will be that dude this season...watch out opposing offenses and especially QBs...wow I can't wait to see him drive Romo sits to pee's face into the ground

Negatives:

Larry Johnson was very unimpressive...could not catch and looked horrible overall. Maybe he can redeem himself but it was an embarrassing game for him.

Willie Parker looked like a FB...I thought it was MIke Sellers (not joking) He looks fat and slow.....NO....I do not want WP to make this team.

Too many dropped passes (mostly from our old RBs like LJ and Portis) WP can catch but he looks slow as hell...

You are spot on in your take, I share a similar opinion. All considered I think they held their own first team to first team. Was a good test. Sure they have some things to correct and work on, but I saw a lot of good things against a pretty darn good team.

I was ticked with how many times Orakpo was held and nothing was called. yeesh.

I haven't been impressed with our Special Teams for years. Starting from the punter, to the kicker, to the kick/punt returner. And, who knows whether D. Smith is the right Special Teams coach for us. IMHO, he is average or below when compared to his peers on other teams.

Not impressed with Gano. Strong leg, but not accurate. Would have preferered having Nick Novack. He too is showcasing his leg / accuracy for San Diego, and doing much better.

The punter stinks. We need someone who can boom a 60 yard punt if we needed one. Bidwell can't do that ... and, his weak leg and poor punts were showcased in yesterday's game against the Ravens.

We need to stop experimenting with who our KR/PR is. Either we have one, and are happy with him. OR, we need to find a GOOD one.

Slowly getting used to seeing D-Mac in burgundy and gold. I like how decisive the playcalling seems to be.......you'll have instances when he forces things and winds up with INTs like the one we saw, but overall our offense should be the most exciting for the first time in a while. Despite the possible emergence of Armstrong, probably would be nice to have a more legit second option for Moss.

One thing that I think kept our first team offense from scoring was our field position. We seemed to be pinned deep quite a bit. I think that's why we had so many yards but few points. We would make big plays, but couldn't sustain very long drives against a Ravens D. If we started with better field position, we would probably have kicked FGs instead of punts. If we had the field position the Ravens had on some series, we probably could have had more TD opportunities.

I thought the Skins 1st team Offense and Defense held their own against the ravens starters. The offense had some hiccups, nothing that can't be corrected in pratice. The defense (1st team) looked much better than they did vs the bills last week. Carter let an INT slip through his hands, Landry was a beast, he even caused a fumble, D Hall made a tackle:ols:,Orakpo would've lit flacco up (if the refs had bothered to call all the blantant holding),Fletcher is a tackling machine.

I like Banks and Armstrong. Devin will be okay once he stops trying so hard. Santana and Mc5 looked good together. CP is the MAN:D...in his limited playing time he pass blocked well and hit the holes in the run game like a pro. I like Keiland Williams, hope that Parker's cut.

It wasn't the best game and far from the worst. New offense, new defense, new players, new coaches they're sure to be ups and downs. Overall this 2010 team look better than the '09 team ever did.

There was plenty to be encouraged about. McNabb's accuracy will only improve as he gets more comfortable in the offense and becomes more familiar with his receivers.

Larry Johnson really didn't get much of an opportunity. He was getting killed behind the line of scrimmage on most carries.

The offense will be very productive. They are keeping things very vanilla for preseason games and still have guys open all over the place, and down the field too. And it won't be nearly as run-heavy as many "experts" in the national media have suggested.

The defense really swarms to the ball. Much moreso than in recent years...and those were good defenses as well.

Anthony Armstrong has played his way to a roster spot. He just gets open and makes plays.

No reason to hold our heads.

The Ravens came into this game determined to win it. That's what the fake punt and all the blitzes were about.

The Redskins didn't match that level of intensity.

Shanahan was still evaluating players as he tried a 47 yard field goal instead of going for a TD with 8 seconds left in the red zone.

When during the regular season would you do that?

You can also count the dropped TD pass by Fred Davis in the mix as to why the score was so lopsided with the starters.

13-10 at the half would have produced results where folks would have considered it a draw.

Davis dropping that TD took a bit of the wind out of the Redskins sails.

On the positive side, I think Anthony Armstrong looks like a keeper.

He may not be a prime #1 receiver, but a #3? I can see that happening over time.

He has better field speed than practice speed, which you can't teach, and he has very good hands.

Which it is obvious despite his size and track speed, Devin Thomas will NEVER have.

Saw many of the same inconsistencies we have seen for years. You know a decent drive seemingly with decent yards but no scoring. I agree in "real time" play timing is an issue and the Ravens have a damn good defense so this is one of those "wait and see" scenarios.

Now the D. Dropped potential interceptions, a bit lost in coverage, another wait and see here.

Without the 1st team playing throughout a game gathering timing and momentum you just get a bit of snapshot.

I know people take the preseason fairly seriously but I never have because who you play most of the games is not going to be starting so I just see it as timing, getting "real time" experience but never as a sure fire gauge for the regular season.

Kind of concerned chemistry wise with Albert Haynesworth. Just wish he would bag the excuses, man up or shut up.

Our first teams looked fine last night. I'm excited about McNabb and the Shanahan's offensive philosophy. It's been a LONG time since we've had a team that goes downfield a lot and that's really going to make Santana shine too. Had our guys not dropped so many passes that hit them right on the hands we probably would've had at least one TD, maybe two.

Our first team D looked good too. We kept the Ravens out of the end zone except for on the trick play which is what preseason is for, fixing those holes.

I expect Shanahan to concentrate on dropped passes and QB protection this week, and I'm sure the special teams will go over drills to stop fake punts/kicks too.

I was overall impressed with the team and I'm not worried about losing a preseason game especially when the players showed so much progress.

Our #1s played well against the Ravens #1, BUT, we lack a strong, consistent OL. All of the blame is not on LJ's shoulders. He was being tackled in the backfield. Ravens defense is excellent. I heard all of this chatter about their weak DBs. But they palyed well, despite McNabb's gaudy passing yardage statistics. Out OL had difficulty picking up Ravens' blitzes, and could not run block. McNabb will not last the season without being injured behind our OL. Sorry, Shanahan, but this is a rebuilding project.

Next, our second stringers are mediocre. The Ravens have depth at almost all positions. This is a reflection of their excellent and stable front office, building thru the draft. Many of the Ravens second team could start for us.

Still no WRs to pair with Moss. Armstrong is a pre-season wonder. He may make a good #3 WR. But he will be smothered in the regular season if he is our only #2 WR.

Heyer is looking OK. I have to eat my words of criticism. The man is playing well.

Back to reality.

:helmet:

Our first teams looked fine last night. I'm excited about McNabb and the Shanahan's offensive philosophy. It's been a LONG time since we've had a team that goes downfield a lot and that's really going to make Santana shine too. Had our guys not dropped so many passes that hit them right on the hands we probably would've had at least one TD, maybe two.

Our first team D looked good too. We kept the Ravens out of the end zone except for on the trick play which is what preseason is for, fixing those holes.

I expect Shanahan to concentrate on dropped passes and QB protection this week, and I'm sure the special teams will go over drills to stop fake punts/kicks too.

I was overall impressed with the team and I'm not worried about losing a preseason game especially when the players showed so much progress.

I think we'll also see a much more focused and disciplined team this week. From all accounts it was a sloppy week of practice and I'm sure that it transferred over into the game. With a week focused practices and a team who wants to prove their a lot better than the game this week I think we'll see a much better team. This is what's going to happen at times this year because they'll be a team that has its ups and downs but from what we've seen so far in the pre-season, there will be more ups than downs

I think we'll also see a much more focused and disciplined team this week. From all accounts it was a sloppy week of practice and I'm sure that it transferred over into the game. With a week focused practices and a team who wants to prove their a lot better than the game this week I think we'll see a much better team. This is what's going to happen at times this year because they'll be a team that has its ups and downs but from what we've seen so far in the pre-season, there will be more ups than downs

Yep, every starter on this team is learning a new system so there will be growing pains but it's nice to see flashes of what's to come in between the pains.

+starting O-line looked good

+McNabb has pocket presence and when that fails, he doesn't fumble the ball

+Moss and Armstrong look great. Armstrong gets some real good separation

+Cooley still manages to get open

+Portis is a beast again (I've been dogging on him but he's playing well)

+Fletcher is such a beast

+Hall can tackle. Some hate too much

-All those yards and so few points... all to familiar

-Drop, drop, drop... no, it's not rain

-Injuries... Sellers, Moore, McNabb... all starters

-Little pressure on the opposing QB (or was it just my imagination?)

-Any wide receivers other than Moss and Armstrong? Thomas made a pretty good catch but how do you miss the first one?

-After a certain point, McNabb looked worse and worse. He threw one interception and another that should've been

-Orakpo... Mr. Invisible? Seriously... the only play I remember him being in is when the Ravens fumbled and Orakpo missed the open tackle, resulting in what should've been negative yards to positive yards.

-Offensive line depth? We have none

-Backup defense is getting pushed around

-Andre Carter is also pretty invisible too

Archived